Mw5 Mod Tool-Kit Will Not Be On Steam

45 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

I have gotten an update from the team, but I am afraid it's not good news.
We are not able to make the Mod ToolKit available through Steam as it's basically an Unreal Engine editor and falls under Epic Games' property.

The ToolKit would still be available for free through Epic Games without a need to own MechWarrior 5. It should not affect Steam workshop in any way either, you don't need the ToolKit to install finished mods.

- GM Zen

So I asked PGI directly if MW5 Tool-Kit would be released in Steam. At first he has an answer. But then followed by an update.

So PGI, could you shaft us some more? Maybe another 1 year of exclusivity?

The Tool Kit being exclusive to the Epic Store is basically like making MW5 exclusive to the epic store. If we have to download that trash of a launcher, it defeats the point of having it on Steam Workshop to begin with.

Hat in Time, an Unreal Engine game has modding-tools on Steam. This is just a poor excuse.

EDIT:

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 03 November 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

Lol, just lol. He blocked me as well. ( https://twitter.com/...762932518330369 )

Isn't this the same lie he told us about MW5 needing only installation from EGS, and afterwards we need not bother with it?

Even then, what will happen if we have to update the game or the editor? Then we still bother with the EGS.

Thanks for shafting us yet again. Hows about 1 more year of exclusivity?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 03 November 2020 - 09:11 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:56 PM

If you planned to author mods on UE you probably have the Epic Store installed. You don't need the editor to install mods so I don't see the issue?

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:08 PM

View PostNightbird, on 03 November 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

If you planned to author mods on UE you probably have the Epic Store installed. You don't need the editor to install mods so I don't see the issue?

Because I didn't want the Ureal Editor. Hat in TIme has it's own modding tools. It didn't need to be just some copy of the UE with preloaded materials.

That defeats the point of the steam release having Steam Workshop feature. It's like they didn't even want the Steam Community in with the modding scene to this **** at all.

They chosen death, so be it.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 03 November 2020 - 03:11 PM.

#4 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 03 November 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

Because I didn't want the Unreal Editor. It didn't need to be just some copy of the UE with preloaded materials.

Posted Image

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:59 PM

Oh lol, GM Replied again.

I don't think this is a possibility. If it was, we would have no benefit in keeping the ToolKit from being available through other sources.

Seriously? Steam has a MASSIVE community of talented modders, Black Mesa was created by the community, Left 4 Dead 2 Last-Stand Update was by the community. No Benefit ? This will benefit the game's longevity. But I guess they may be looking for "monetary benefit".

#6 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

Le Sigh.

PGI will never stop being PGI.

They are relentless.

I was *almost* interested in trying MW5 when they launched it on Steam.

Saves me the trouble, so I guess "Thanks PGI", is in order?

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 03 November 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

Oh lol, GM Replied again.

Seriously? Steam has a MASSIVE community of talented modders, Black Mesa was created by the community, Left 4 Dead 2 Last-Stand Update was by the community. No Benefit ? This will benefit the game's longevity. But I guess they may be looking for "monetary benefit".

What the GM meant was that if it was possible, there would be no reason to withold it from the community.

#8 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:18 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 03 November 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

What's stopping you?

Were you planning on creating mods? If so then fair enough. If not, you can still install mods created by others.

If you were planning on "tweaking" weapon files for that 1000% quickdraw feel I'm sure you'll still be able to. Not much can stop a good old fashioned notepad/hex edit.

#9 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:19 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 03 November 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

What the GM meant was that if it was possible, there would be no reason to withold it from the community.

Fair enough. My bad.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:21 PM

It's a bit cheap n cheerful to have the "tools" basically just be UE with a MW5 mod on top but ah well.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:22 PM

not surprised in the slightest.

almost everyone goes for proprietary lock-in these days to make money rather than delivering a good product. it sucks but i know why they do it. consoles have been doing this since consoles existed. lots of industries do this not just video games. streaming services, smartphones, apple, cars, and on and on. i usually steer clear from product that are part of an "ecosystem" because its almost always a scam to trap you under their thumb.

#12 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:22 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 03 November 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

Le Sigh.

PGI will never stop being PGI.

They are relentless.

Saves me the trouble, so I guess "Thanks PGI", is in order?

You might still have time, Microsoft Gamepass was a Dollar not too long ago and MW5 was added to it.

#13 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

Good thing I don't want to buy mw5. One less game in my steam libary but 50-60$ to a bill or a weekend of pizzas and movies. GG pgi. You can't even sell your game to a very large group of people. Steam and mods from the workshop are why I have such a huge libary there and spend a lot on their sale. You missed out big time pgi.

#14 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,413 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:49 PM

The MW5 Pre-Order packages were actually quite intriguing, given that MWO/MW4 Founder Package players had additional bonuses bestowed upon them upon MW5 Pre-Ordering...

But that was way before the news about switching to 1-year-exclusive with Epic...

#15 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

Lol, just lol. He blocked me as well. ( https://twitter.com/...762932518330369 )

Isn't this the same lie he told us about MW5 needing only installation from EGS, and afterwards we need not bother with it?

Even then, what will happen if we have to update the game or the editor? Then we still bother with the EGS.

Thanks for shafting us yet again. Hows about 1 more year of exclusivity?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 03 November 2020 - 09:16 PM.

#16 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:54 PM

Not intended to whiteknight, but like Nightbird, I don't see your problem.
1. You can start MW5 without starting the Epic Games Launcher. The only thing you can't use then are the online functions.
2. You can use mods and the workshop just fine, the only thing not distributed via steam is the the unreal editor, which you get for free from epic.
3. Of course you'd need to go online on epic if you want to update. This is the same with steam offline mode.

You seem to jump to conclusions on little to no basis, maybe tone down a bit and be less toxic. If you'd attack me on a nonsensical basis via twitter, what do you think I'd do?

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:44 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 03 November 2020 - 10:54 PM, said:

Not intended to whiteknight, but like Nightbird, I don't see your problem.

That is because we have different purposes for it. I want the ability to mod my own game, not just some download mods to install, but to create them.

People mod for themselves first, so I can't really expect other modders to cater to my own preferences. That is why it is important.

1. You can start MW5 without starting the Epic Games Launcher. The only thing you can't use then are the online functions.

That's not what I heard, but okay sure. Now where is the part that I don't involve the Epic Launcher and an Epic account?

2. You can use mods and the workshop just fine, the only thing not distributed via steam is the the unreal editor, which you get for free from epic.

Again, where is the part that I don't use the Epic Launcher at all?

3. Of course you'd need to go online on epic if you want to update. This is the same with steam offline mode.

Which makes it all pointless now isn't it?

You seem to jump to conclusions on little to no basis, maybe tone down a bit and be less toxic. If you'd attack me on a nonsensical basis via twitter, what do you think I'd do?

I know what you didn't do though. You didn't shafted people with an Epic Deal, you didn't just created a copy of Unreal Editor and passed it off as "MW5 Editor", you didn't ruined MWO with bad decisions.

I waited 1 year for this ********. I get to be upset.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 03 November 2020 - 11:46 PM.

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:54 PM

I don't get what you have against the Epic launcher or creating an Epic account, but you do you.
You can rant as much as you want. That won't make more people listen to you. Have a good one.

#19 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:07 AM

Looks like this thread was posted in the wrong section, so I've moved it to MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries

#20 Moochachoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 03:22 AM

Is installing the epic games launcher required to use the modding tools? Or is it going to be a stand alone software?

ah bummer, looks like you do need an account to download it, I suppose if there is enough interest, the folks at the nexus might create their own modding tools, that is if there is enough interest.

if PGI really want to they can release the modding tool on their website, like Bethesda and the creation kit.

Edited by Moochachoo, 04 November 2020 - 03:28 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users