339 replies to this topic

#41 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:17 PM

View PostNAMEUNKOWN, on 09 November 2020 - 11:12 PM, said:

guys true there is a grind , but seriously have you seen the grind in other games. by comparison mwo has no grind.

look at war robots as an example on steam. or some of the multitude of other bot related games.
play those then comeback and say the grind is too much here.

I agree in that I don't think this is necessarily a given either way. Needs more perspective and discussion.

#42 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:20 PM

Can we please talk about the constantly ongoing nascar in every game, on every map, in every mode?
No teamplay, Assaults getting left behind and the slowest team losing.
Or am i the only one who doesn´t like running in circles?
Like i wrote in a recent topic.

1. Let the people choose their mech AFTER map voting.
Maybe let them choose a mech class, light, medium, heavy, assault for the matchmaker.
Or simply the option to change the mech before the game.

2. And i prefer this option, cause i think it´s easier to implement.
Get rid of the random map voting.
Players in a slow assault with short range weapons get stuck on Polar.
Players in a long range mech get stuck on Solaris City.
Let the people choose the maps they want to play (and maybe the modes).
The matchmaker can then pick the players with the same maps AND pick a random map that all players want to play.

This way players with long range mechs don´t have to fight with slow brawlers and it will reduce the urge to nascar.

Edited by Wishmast3r, 09 November 2020 - 11:21 PM.

#43 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:23 PM

View PostWishmast3r, on 09 November 2020 - 11:20 PM, said:

Can we please talk about the constantly ongoing nascar in every game, on every map, in every mode?
No teamplay, Assaults getting left behind and the slowest team losing.
Or am i the only one who doesn´t like running in circles?
Like i wrote in a recent topic.

I think that would involve map fixes including spawn points, and possibly game mode changes. Both on the list.

#44 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:39 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 November 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

now is the time to make your voices heard. Don't like something on this list? Let's discuss it here. Want something added to the list? Let's discuss it here. [...]

Have a technical question for the developers? Ask here!

That's a lot of topics.

This community is ... very chatty. Very ... full of ideas.

I might suggest for later, perhaps in a "2021 roadmap" subforum in the Developer Outreach, maybe open for thread submission and with each of the major categories you listed having a stickied thread.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

On the topic of Solaris, I think something can be done for an immediate improvement with little effort. It simply has too many buckets, so finding a match is a chore - a barrier to entry, and exercise in frustration. I see two immediate solutions:

A: have only one bucket (division) open at any given time, on a rotating schedule. Maybe rotate every 4 hours, 8 hours, 1 day, 2 days... whatever the playerbase would like.

B: allow players to checkmark the divisions they'd like to multi-queue for (pairs of players with multiple divisions in common, MM randomly pick among their selected divisions, nothing more complicated than that please)

I prefer option A because it funnels the most players toward each other for better Elo matchups.

I have other gripes with Solaris, but they can wait. The queuing situation demands attention, I don't play the mode solely because of this.

#45 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:40 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 09 November 2020 - 11:23 PM, said:

I think that would involve map fixes including spawn points, and possibly game mode changes. Both on the list.

I doubt this will solve the nascar problem, while long range mechs are paired with short range mechs. And the only slow assault with massive armor and firepower gets left behind.
But i would really like to be proven wrong.

#46 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:41 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 November 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

Not everything listed is guaranteed to make it in.

I don't want to be mean, but that kind of defeats the point.

You just gave the direction, but what we want is the destination.

#47 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:45 PM

View PostWishmast3r, on 09 November 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

I doubt this will solve the nascar problem, while long range mechs are paired with short range mechs. And the only slow assault with massive armor and firepower gets left behind.
But i would really like to be proven wrong.

I think a lot of it is player behavior, which can be mitigated with map design, spawn points, game modes, and more. I don't think there's just one fix.

#48 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:52 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 09 November 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

Separating solo and group queue is definitely on the table! I think for it to happen though, other things might have to happen first, like for example moving Solaris and Faction Play to being event-based. This would put more players into the Quick Play queue, and potentially allow for a separated solo and group queues. I also think reducing matches to 8v8 could play a part in this. Added it to the list, let's talk about it!

Faction Play is the best game mode, i only play qp to skill my mechs for fp or playing fun mechs. The FP queue is full every night in european prime i dont see any problem there.
How about more rewards for fp? When you lose a fp match it is possible to lose a bunch of cbills for using consumables.

And remove cadets from tier 3 asap, this makes you loose new players instantly.

Thanks for the post anyway.

Edited by Paul Meyers DEST, 09 November 2020 - 11:54 PM.

#49 eddieb

• PipPip
  • Gunsho
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:58 PM

Could these be added to the list please

1) Advance the timeline with new weapons, armor types, and mechs
2) Rework reward structure for faction and solaris.

#50 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 11:58 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 09 November 2020 - 11:41 PM, said:

I don't want to be mean, but that kind of defeats the point.

You just gave the direction, but what we want is the destination.

To get to a destination, you have to pick a direction. That's the stage we're in now. That list is a bunch of ingredients, and now we have the coming weeks to come up with a working recipe that works. Some things may have to happen further down the road. Some things may not work simply because after doing a technical review, we discover it can't for some reason. I'm not saying that's the case for anything at this point of course, or I wouldn't have it on the list. I'm just saying nothing is in stone yet, but we're moving forward.

#51 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:04 AM

View Posteddieb, on 09 November 2020 - 11:58 PM, said:

Could these be added to the list please

1) Advance the timeline with new weapons, armor types, and mechs
2) Rework reward structure for faction and solaris.

I added Advance the Timeline, and that includes everything that comes with that option. We're currently sitting at 3067 and up next is Jihad. Is that something people want? I haven't had a lot of request for that so far.

In terms of rewards for Faction Play and Solaris, those fall under "Solution for Faction Play and Solaris" and can certainly be discussed further here.

#52 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:07 AM

Mr, Katz,

please - and in the name of all that is holy - create a subforum and singled out threads for any or at least the summarizing points shown in your initial post!

The influx of feedback needs to be channeled into on-point discussions as soon as possible, since the fragmentation - as we have seen for the last couple of weeks already - KILLS any attempt to have an on-going discussion / consensual opinion building on certain topics being in need of improvement! After a certain period of time EVERY thread concerning sub-points can be concluded and re-capped in a transparent manner => pure benefit!

Furthermore this way of feedback / reacting to single posts will totally KILL your and the other officials time-ressources within the next couple of hours/days! Worst effect of this kind of stimulus-response-approach to bundle communication will be participants losing (or having to invest absurd amounts of effort to keep) somewhat of a goal-orientied overview of input given.

Now it still can be done without too much of a hassle ... the more input comes in, the harder it gets to re-channel the communication that came in already.

I really honor your effort taken over the last couple of weeks and I can only assume how much pressure is on you actually, but doing it that way is simply not smart regarding a strategical approach!

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 10 November 2020 - 12:14 AM.

#53 Vyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:08 AM

Posted Image

#54 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:10 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 10 November 2020 - 12:04 AM, said:

I added Advance the Timeline, and that includes everything that comes with that option. We're currently sitting at 3067 and up next is Jihad. Is that something people want? I haven't had a lot of request for that so far.

Sure we will take anything but really last new tech increased population for like 2 months. Was it worth it? Doesn't look like it to me. Russ and you need a sit down and find an option to change the game in a way that has never been done. Unless the plan is to just milking the game for next 4 years then sure just do some balance stuff and rewards.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 10 November 2020 - 12:11 AM.

#55 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:11 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 10 November 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

Mr, Katz,

please - and in the name of all that is holy - create a subforum and singled out threads for any or at least the summarizing points shown in your initial post!

The influx of feedback needs to be channeled into on-point discussions as soon as possible, since the fragmentation - as we have seen for the last couple of weeks already - KILLS any attempt to have an on-going discussion / consensual opinion building on certain topics being in need of improvement! After a certain period of time EVERY thread concerning sub-points can be concluded and re-capped in a transparent manner => pure benefit!

Furthermore this way of feedback / reacting to single posts will totally KILL your and the other officials time-ressources within the next couple of hours/days! Worst effect of this kind of stimulus-response-approach to bundle communication will be participants losing (or having to invest absurd amounts of effort to keep) somewhat of a goal-orientied overview of input given.

Yeah this was always in my plan, I didn't get it sorted today because I ran out of time and just wanted to get this post up. I will be diving into this over the next couple of days and getting it cleaned up.

#56 Daeron Katz

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:14 AM

View PostVyx, on 10 November 2020 - 12:08 AM, said:

Posted Image

I so badly want to stick a "to" in that quote, but I'm not a writer. Anyway, challenge accepted. Please stand by though, as this part of the process is necessary first.

#57 Taifune

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:20 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 09 November 2020 - 09:11 PM, said:

Lot of good stuff but,

What here is going to bring in 50,000 new players?

Good, and probably most important point when MWO should stay longer!

I think the "Refer-a-Friend Program" will help - but I think advertising MWO is something I have never seen and should be added to the list. So promoting MWO in general is missing.

All those game modes and player tiers make no sense, if there is not a large enough player base - and I think this has to be actively increased.

#58 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:27 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 10 November 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

Yeah this was always in my plan, I didn't get it sorted today because I ran out of time and just wanted to get this post up. I will be diving into this over the next couple of days and getting it cleaned up.

Fellow mechwarriors ... please hold your fire for now and let the heatsinks of that Timberkatz do some cooling work. There is no benefit in floodin - as substantial your feedback may be - this thread with plethora of input now just to have Daeron waste some of his time to clean / replace it post by post afterwards.

Cool down, think posts done already through, refine them while keeping the bigger picture in mind and place a well constructed feedback into the (soonish) provided sub-threads please.

This approach of structured communciation will serve all of us much better than a cacophony of a contextually lose powercreep-thread. Let us support Daeron and Matt here by holding our lines for just a little longer! There will be some sort of full-scale combat about MWOs future soon enough ...

=> Input devaluates itself over time when not given appropriate structure.

(Daeron => get yourself some well deserved sleep and set a sub-forum up with help of yer mods over the next 48 hours)

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 10 November 2020 - 04:57 AM.

#59 Taifune

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:34 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 November 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

MONETIZATION
  • New Items (Metallic Paints, Custom UI Colors, Voice Packs, Sound Packs, Laser Color Customization, MechLab Customization)

Please do not touch the laser color for all players, as the color is an important feedback about the weapon type/range. If it is only locally altered, ok, I don't mind, but otherwise, this will significantly worsen the game feedback to the player and therefore experience.

Edited by Taifune, 10 November 2020 - 03:22 AM.

#60 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:36 AM

Unlock certain hardware choices for the omni mechs? Keep the engine awful if you will, but free endo/ferro, fixed MASC, JJs, DHS'. Asking for a friendly Summoner.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 10 November 2020 - 12:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users