2021 new features Gameplay Mode General

484 replies to this topic

#101 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:49 PM

A game mode where killing the opposition won't win the game.

#102 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:56 PM

I'd like a map that punishes Nascaring.

#103 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

View PostTenchuu, on 26 November 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

Same exact experience. I'd love to do Faction Play! The queues are dead. I see requests for players pop up but they're gone by the time I click on them. It's another hidden area of the game not explained in any detail in the tutorial beyond "save it for when you're better".

Same here, FP has been killed dead, I loved the scouting missions but they were killed off because of bad player complaints.
There needs to be more of an incentive to play it, the queues need to be fixed, the original was much better and you should be able to play whatever Mechs you want if playing as a Merc.

One word; Tanks.

#104 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:19 PM

View PostMarsThunder, on 17 November 2020 - 07:08 AM, said:

IMHO only Siege Mode should be left for FP. Siege mode and unique maps made FP attractive to me.

It got a bit dull though. A build up to siege mode is a good idea if done properly.
Start with Conquest to gather intel, which gives a bonus later depending on amount of intel gathered.
Skirmish and Assault (where the base must be taken in preference to it becoming skirmish) matches to determine who controls an area when the siege happens.
Have the end more like Incursion when both sides are trying to take control of a planet that is unoccupied and the original Siege when trying to take control of an occupied planet.

#105 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

View PostKaukas, on 17 November 2020 - 01:03 AM, said:

hi all

Faction Warfare was a path of hope for mwo to become something bigger then just robots fighting on small map game,FW is the only reason i still play mwo and lack of development of FW made so many people leave this game....

This. ^

FW needs to be an ongoing thing not the stop start that we had from the beginning. It should be more like MW5 than the ****-show we have at the moment.
IS houses and Clans need to be in constant battle with shifting alliances, voted for by embedded Units.
Mechs/weapons should be available to any faction, depending on timeline.
Really you should drop MWO in favour of making MW5 full multiplayer with all the trappings of MWO.

#106 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:53 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 28 November 2020 - 01:33 PM, said:

As long as PGI rearranged lances according to speed, I've always wanted this to be implemented.. Lances would actually have to act AS a lance, relying on each other for their very survival. Another benefit.. parts of the map usually rarely seen would start to be utilized and each match would start to feel different.. just think of it.. mini skirmishes throughout the map.. epic.. unlike what we have now.. very similiar, very forgettable rinse, lather, repeat battles mostly happening in the center of the maps.

Also, PGI/EG7, please implement a lance voip feature..

It kind of was like that at the start, but everyone just congregated anyway. The bigger maps would definitely benefit if that happened. Also make a better incentive for lances to stay together the current Lance in Proximity is not good enough.

yes Lance VOIP, and make VOIP a toggle (for lance and global) as well not just PtoT

Mech repair.reloading bays, at CB cost, especially on large maps and FW. Make them time delayed and destroyable by opposition.

#107 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:02 PM

View PostTheStranger, on 28 November 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

A game mode where killing the opposition won't win the game.

Genius.. right off the top of my head.. how bout a game mode where the team with the most 'Components Destroyed' wins. This would change everything and be a legit game mode that would make matches pokier and more conservative.. a mode that actually punishes nascaring and yolo'ing.. at same time rewarding targeting enemy and aiming skill..

...or at the very least make it an event based game mode that comes and goes.. What do you guys think?

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 03 December 2020 - 05:54 AM.

#108 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:40 PM

With regards to the 8v8 and 12v12, I just say "Why not both?"

Create a dynamic queue system where if there are not enough players to fill 12v12, it goes with 8v8 to maintain Tier restrictions or to speed up queue times in non-peak hours.

Not enough T3-T5 or T1-T3 for 12v12? Do 8v8. Players logged in and everything is fine? Do 12v12. This ensures fast queues and higher tier separation integrity to account for low peak and peak hours of the day. It also minimizes the damage as you might only have to include 1 T4 or T5 player in an 8v8 match of T1-T3 instead of dragging in 5 of them to be slaughtered.

This means the system should allow for 8v8 and 12v12 games to run, depending on the pool of players available for each tier range. I'm not saying it be so crude as it just switches to 8v8 automatically when player population drops below (x).

Edited by Elizander, 01 December 2020 - 03:42 PM.

#109 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:50 PM

if your going to adress factionplay, maybe start by having the mode launch matches every 30 minutes. everyone will know when the next match is regardless of their timezone (if your clock says ##:00 or ##:30 the next match is launching) and itll help the matchmaker-by-groupsize feature they implemented long ago work easier, because everyone for that half hour will be qued simultaneously. on top of that, since fw matches are 25 minutes long, people getting out of a match wont be in a rush to reque or miss the next lobby, as they will have 5 minutes before the next match launches. thats time to use the toilet, mechlab, or get food.

this is also useful for timezones were fw matches are nearly nonexistant. if you dont get a match but also dont want to sit in que, you know you have 30 minutes to spend in qp or solaris. that way your using your time to play and help fill other ques without possibly missing the next fw match.

seems like an easy, no brainer quick fix.

#110 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:31 PM

Faction Play needs a revamp.

Invasion would be good if a few things changed.

No more 4 Mech per player drops, maybe 2.

Better map design. The MOBA style maps don't work, funneling the attacking team into a designated point was fun for a while but eventually got really stale really fast.

Also, go back to 8v8 entirely across the entirety of the game. 12v12 was a bad idea several years ago when the game had a huge population, it's less fun now that it's drastically smaller. Better objectives, a more useful defensive system as far as AI goes, less exploitable targets and targets that take more than one person to take down.

#111 Da Ugh 1701

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota, USA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:35 PM

It would be nice to see new maps, mechs and maybe weapons. I believe this could help maintain the population in the game and maybe bring some players back.
On a side note, I know of 5 people in my old clan that stopped playing due to the Skill Tree revamp that was implemented a while ago so they're gone and won't come back. Those people had >120 mechs each.

#112 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:37 PM

View PostDa Ugh 1701, on 02 December 2020 - 05:35 PM, said:

It would be nice to see new maps, mechs and maybe weapons. I believe this could help maintain the population in the game and maybe bring some players back.
On a side note, I know of 5 people in my old clan that stopped playing due to the Skill Tree revamp that was implemented a while ago so they're gone and won't come back. Those people had >120 mechs each.

The skill tree feels like a punishment when you get a new mech. You don't even get the benefit of at least having a proper grind curve as the costs are fixed and the progression is linear. I absolutely do not have fun leveling mechs especially when I lose a match and end up with 200 xp out of the 800 I need for my time.

#113 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:06 PM

DO NOT MAKE MORE BUCKETS!!!

Do 8v8 for quick play. leave the 12 size for FP, and events.
Put groups in either their own queue, limit group size choices to 4 or 8, (maybe 2)
OR
Put all premades into tier 1 only. Let tier 1 pugs fill in the gaps. Too long a wait? I guess the community can't support it right now.

Allow different matchmaker rules for events, depnding on events.

Go back to Skirmish and conquest only for quickplay, use the other modes for events. I rarely see anyone even vote for the other modes.

Remember, LESS BUCKETS. The tier matchmaker system is already enough buckets, running FP and Solaris and "Other" events imultaneously is going to ruin matchmaking for all of them. Better to do more events, with shorter time durations, and keep them seperated.
Run a FP event over the weekend, then run a "Domination 12v12!!" during the week following, NOT both at the same time on the weekend, etc.
Don;t schedule or design with a playerbase 10x what we got in mind. Keep it concise. Expand later if the playerbase grows.

#114 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:03 AM

View PostZordicron, on 02 December 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

Put all premades into tier 1 only.
So you have three pilots who are Tier 5 only because the scale doesn't get any lower.
And because they're grouped up you're tossing them into T1?
That makes no sense whatsoever.

#115 Mercu

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:59 PM

Could it be possible to assign yourself a battlefield role when you choose your mech? This would allow your score to be based on your role and this your impact on the battlefield can be correctly gauged.

Raven - Scout - 0 Dmg, 8 assistés, 6 UAV detections, etc.

Atlas - Tip of the Spear - 900 Dmg, 3 kills, 5 kmdd, etc.

Both could potentially get the same match score, both are vital.

The current setup does not encourage team players but players that carry teams.

It would allow all mechs to have an impact. All players to be recognised.
And better team cohesion in QP/FP.

Watch any of the streamers and at the end they all say "He did great (high damage), he was useless (low damage). When the try is very différent. A light can relay information all match and get nothing.

Edited by Mercu, 04 December 2020 - 01:04 PM.

#116 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:18 PM

View PostMercu, on 04 December 2020 - 12:59 PM, said:

Could it be possible to assign yourself a battlefield role when you choose your mech? This would allow your score to be based on your role and this your impact on the battlefield can be correctly gauged.

Raven - Scout - 0 Dmg, 8 assistés, 6 UAV detections, etc.

Atlas - Tip of the Spear - 900 Dmg, 3 kills, 5 kmdd, etc.

Both could potentially get the same match score, both are vital.

The current setup does not encourage team players but players that carry teams.

It would allow all mechs to have an impact. All players to be recognised.
And better team cohesion in QP/FP.

Watch any of the streamers and at the end they all say "He did great (high damage), he was useless (low damage). When the try is very différent. A light can relay information all match and get nothing.

Mechs that don't do damage are generally not very useful. The exception is bringing a narc mech when in a group with lrmers or atm mechs. In comp, where people value scouting quite highly, mechs that scout the enemy are also quite capable of racking up kills because you can scout very effectively in a mech that can also take enemies off the field.

#117 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:40 PM

Special Event Queue - I love the idea, but this just further adds more buckets. Having three separate MWO games (Quick Play, Faction Play and Solaris) already dilutes the player base.

Solaris could be special event game modes rather than open all the time. I have no opinion about FP - I haven't played FP since the QP maps/modes were added. To me the only purpose of FP was to play on unique maps and modes.

I would like PGI to provide population data on each game type. How many are in QP, FP and Solaris each hour/day.

Advance the Timeline - This doesn't really address the issues. If MWO divided MM into BattleTech eras (Star League, Succession Wars, blah blah), then opening a new era could interesting. But without that, advancing the timeline just creates a new "arms race" of chassis/build changes. Unless the new tech is bound to new 'Mechs (which would cause a riot), there isn't much need.

And since this thread is called "New Features"...

Strikes - I'd like to see an experiment where all strikes are converted to Inferno weapons - they don't do damage, they do heat. There could be skill tree upgrades to make adjust the area of effect and duration. Another option is air-dropped mines or long-duration smoke.

Team Damage - remove team damage from QP and FP, but keep it for Solaris and Comp Queue, add an option for Private Lobbies. Why should a player's game be ruined because some knuckle-head put two gauss into the back of their 'Mech (#neverforget)? However, the games still tracks this and penalizes for the potential team damage.

Post-match screen - when you die you get a screen showing the damage you took. But when you close the screen to observe the rest of the battle, you lose the data. I'd like to see this screen added to the end-of-match report as a third tab. I'd also like to be able to look at the end-of-match report while in the MechLab afterwards. Maybe allow up to 10 matches to be stored?

More armor hit zones - this one is much harder to implement, but here it is. The eight hit locations (H, RA, LA, RT, LT, CT, RL, LL) are too simple for a hit-what-you-aim-at video game in 2020. Let's face it, shooting a 'Mech in the head and the crotch damaging the same armor plate is dumb. Divide the traditional hit locations into smaller plates, which would allow for more effective active defense (torso twisting) and reduce the effectiveness of MWO's 100% convergence. Structure can keep the eight locations.

Armor deflection - Other armored vehicle games allow highly-angled shots to deflect off with no damage. I don't think MWO needs that, but it's kind of silly that an AC/10 does the same damage when hitting at 0 degrees as it does at 89.99 degrees. Damage should reduce when the angle of impact increased over 45 degrees.

Increasing UAC jam times - In table-top BattleTech, when a UAC jams it is jammed for the rest of the match. In MWO it's a matter of seconds. That is a huge buff compared to table-top. I do not suggest jamming UACs for 15 minutes, but that are so over-powered compared to non-UAC versions you are hurting your team if you bring them. I suggest an increasing jam time - the first jam is normal, but every jam afterwards increases in duration.

It would be great to have a replay system...

#118 RacerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

Let's advance the time line to Dark Age so we can gain access to Mech Chainsaws!

#119 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:54 AM

View PostZordicron, on 02 December 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

DO NOT MAKE MORE BUCKETS!!!

Do 8v8 for quick play. leave the 12 size for FP, and events.
Put groups in either their own queue, limit group size choices to 4 or 8, (maybe 2)
OR
Put all premades into tier 1 only. Let tier 1 pugs fill in the gaps. Too long a wait? I guess the community can't support it right now.

Remember, LESS BUCKETS.

View PostHorseman, on 03 December 2020 - 12:03 AM, said:

So you have three pilots who are Tier 5 only because the scale doesn't get any lower.
And because they're grouped up you're tossing them into T1?
That makes no sense whatsoever.

Maybe this is why I left another option.
Ignoring the group VS pug dilema is not an option, it has been a point of contention for years.
IMO, there are A LOT of FPS games that don't let you group at all, especially in a "quick play" format. The focus should be on pug groups, especially when the population is at the point it is now. Split the queue's then, the groups will get upset about wait times.
I like the idea of grouping up with buds to play this game. Problem is, when you get a 4 man premade from tier 2 that can't get a match for so long the clamps open to tier 4, that's when you get salty posts about the 12-2 stomp that people just endured.

If the population is going to recover, new players can not be subjected to this. Old players with mediocre skills can not either. Stomps make people quit.

Putting groups in tier one was a thought towards compromise, as the biggest "problems" are the higher skilled groups. But if people will complain at this also, then just split the queue's and be done with it. Make the official stance "no groups in quick play" and make a group only queue.

#120 3RoyalStar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:09 PM

What about a mode like testing grounds but pvp and you can do a build and try every mech without purchasing it
But you won’t make any cbills

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users