2021 new features Gameplay Mode General

484 replies to this topic

#41 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:10 AM

Limit group size in Solo Quickplay to 2 players, thats enough for a player that wants to mentor a new player.
Remove big maps like Alpine Peaks, Polar Highlands and Terra Therma from Solo Quickplay
Remove Airstrikes & Artillery from Solo Quickplay
Remove VOIP & indirect LRM Fire from Solo Quickplay (it is as worse as a group if some one is abusing it to coordinate the team or call in LRM Support)

Edited by Alreech, 17 November 2020 - 09:10 AM.

#42 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:45 AM

Bring back group quickplay as "Faction Quickplay" to enhance the number of 4 player groups in faction play:
  • Max group size of 4 players = same size as a lance = maximum for scouting, 1/2 & 1/3 of the team in 8 vs 8 & 12 vs 12
  • all players of the group have to be in the same "big faction" (Clan or IS) / or in the same faction
  • Solo players can join to fill up missing players
  • Use small drop decks to avoid spawn camping & long matches: 3 Mechs, 165 tons IS / 160 tons Clans
  • drop decks have to be either Clan or IS to keep factions appart
  • use 8 vs 8 match size if population is low, 12 vs 12 if population is high
  • match maker should put groups of the same faction / unit on the same side
  • players can earn faction reputation in this mode
The old group queue has had the problem that some group sizes (9, 10) only in worked one combination (9+3, 10+2).

Also the balancing by tonnage didn't worked as intended. While bigger groups have had less tonnage per Mech they often used fast medium & heavy Mechs to swarm less coordinated teams with more tonnage (and groups).
A group size of 4 players & drop decks fix both problems (incompatibel group sizes / tonnage / swarming).

Smaller drops decks for "Faction Quickplay" also prevent NASCAR and the "wrong mech for that map syndrome". They can also be sold for MCs (monetization).
Spawn camping by one team may be a problem, but a short match time of 12-15 minutes, respawning turrets or "dead zones for the other team in the spawn areas" & game modes with objectives (Assault, Domination, Conquest, Incursion) can counter that.

The goal of this feature is to enhance the number of organised 4 player groups.
This will also benefit Faction Play with Invasion Decks by enhancing the number of faction aligned groups aviable for a call to arms.
It will reduce the number of unwanted groups in Solo Quickplay, improving the match quality for the remaining players in Solo Quickplay.

#43 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:48 AM

When a friendly arty or air strike is dropped.. it should show up on friendly maps as a flashing red beacon.. on top of this, a small flashing 'explosion' icon should appear on the hud somewhere.. I wouldn't mind a short 'woop woop' warning sound either. This will help reduce team damage and help with those that don't see the smoke while in thermal mode.

#44 XDevilsChariotX

• PipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:01 PM

View PostMagic Pain Glove, on 16 November 2020 - 06:28 PM, said:

Remove the soup (groups) from solo queue

This 100% and should be done before the new year!

Far as the event Que for faction. I would like to see something to allow the casuals to play without having to worry about being stomped by pre-made 12 man groups. So maybe a Event for faction that is solo only or maybe a max group size of 4. I think this could be a good way to get more people into faction that were scared of going up against big groups. I think the event Que could be a great way to make everyone happy.

Edited by XDevilsChariotX, 17 November 2020 - 01:13 PM.

#45 IanDresarie

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for adding new features to MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • Special Event Queue (Possible Faction Play/Solaris and 8v8/12v12 Solution)
  • Advance the Timeline

My feedback is simple: A special event queue would be awesome, if we see some new modes that are indeed special. YES to circulating FP/Solaris/New modes - FOR NOW. If the playerbase becomes able to support multiple queues again, I'd like to see those big modes back into 24/7 availability
Timeline advancement? meh? Don't care, I think there are options for new weapons and Tech in the existing timeline that should be implemented first.

#46 ThirdWorld

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:03 PM

I am amazed that bad chinese games I play have multiple que support and some how this game doesn't have it.

It would of been nice a long time ago.

#47 Wreckreation

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:15 PM

Can we dispense with the under-weighted damage to light mechs and the over-weighted damage done by machine guns? If a mech can maneuver behind an assault and destroy it in no time then when it gets hit with an AC20, some heavy damage should occur. You should be rewarded for being a great pilot in a light mech but also be rewarded for being a good shot in an assault. I don't see that as currently being the case.

#48 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:14 PM

I would like to see a huge MWO promotion linked to MW5 Steam launch.

If you are a registered MW5 owner, you get 10 million c-bills and a free standard variant mech just for trying MWO out.

This would be a special cross-promotion event.

Just like MWO had a cross-promotion of special variants for buying MW5 on Epic.

Edited by Galahad2030, 17 November 2020 - 05:15 PM.

#49 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:15 PM

Add AI Bots. While I don't have faith in PGI's AI capabilities, assuming that it can be done right, it should improve match quality by providing consistent, less of a wild-card enemies with controllable difficulty, that you can tailor based on the players.

If you can't find that much high-tier or low-tier players, you can just fill in AI bots for them. Or if one mech is DCed, an AI Bot can take over for them.

That being said, again this is a massive IF, if PGI could properly code AI. And if MW5 is the best they could do, I think it could only work for the cadets.

#50 OldTeef

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:38 PM

I am new to the community but, I have been into the franchise since 1995. I am probably close to 1,000 games in....

I agree with the request for different weapon, referring to the first post in the thread. If advancing the timeline is necessary, so be it. But I feel there are many ways within canon to do that, as well.

My contribution: I think that a wider variety of cockpits would be a nice "quality of life" add-on for us. Even just subtle variations with the existing graphic assets.

I love the game. Please just keep it nice and immersive. The feel of "mech simulator" is what keeps me interested and my inner fanboy sated.

#51 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:20 AM

View PostGarran Tana, on 17 November 2020 - 04:54 AM, said:

Only two arty / air strikes are possible at the same time - one from team A, one from Team B.

Wow, didin't know that.

And if you get the warining and few seconds before the strike, mechs will scatter.

Ok, and how about light mech throwing a strike at the backs of assaults? Should those assaults get the warning and counter or not? Already people scatter when they see smoke. Or they don't give a sh.t and move through it.

At I belive that was the idea behind the strikes - area control, not succer punches.

I don't know what was the main idea behind strikes. Let's say crowd control. Main idea is to win a game. It's about how realistic it should be or how game/user friendly. Just don't like idea of that counter. If you wanna go bigger, longer strikes, it can go strike by a sector (square), when whole sector is under bombardment, but shell spread is not so dense. Then you choose sector with a map (like you giving coordinates to artillery, air-force HQ, and you can set timer like: strike H8 in an minute), not by some dumb medieval smoke method. We have very basic dumb strikes but they are last big boom in that game, but it don't have a power for doing big broken arrow actions.

Edited by Bistrorider, 18 November 2020 - 12:20 AM.

#52 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 November 2020 - 03:02 AM

Switching the map-mode vote to choose "Normal/Realistic" vs "Event Mutators" where the Event Mutators are randomly selected, or can be choosen by the voters from types such as:

Multiplier:
- double
- half
- x%

Effected attribute:
- damage
- rate of fire
- range
- heat
- armor/structure
- crit rate
- ammo
- projectile speed
- Jump jet performance (fuel, speed, power)
- radar range

#53 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:42 AM

View PostXDevilsChariotX, on 17 November 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Far as the event Que for faction. I would like to see something to allow the casuals to play without having to worry about being stomped by pre-made 12 man groups. So maybe a Event for faction that is solo only or maybe a max group size of 4. I think this could be a good way to get more people into faction that were scared of going up against big groups. I think the event Que could be a great way to make everyone happy.

Personally would be fine with limited group size during events if it results in more people picking up Faction Play as their main game mode. However, sync dropping would be a concern as there's nothing stopping 3 groups of 4 jumping into the queue at the last minute, essentially making it a 12 man.

View PostIanDresarie, on 17 November 2020 - 03:00 PM, said:

YES to circulating FP/Solaris/New modes - FOR NOW. If the playerbase becomes able to support multiple queues again, I'd like to see those big modes back into 24/7 availability.

Nope, people who play Faction Play are relatively exclusive with people who play Quick Play. Limiting Faction Play to special events will essentially kill off the game mode and also not translate to a significant increase in Quick Play population.

View PostAlreech, on 17 November 2020 - 09:45 AM, said:

Bring back group quickplay as "Faction Quickplay" to enhance the number of 4 player groups in faction play:
  • Max group size of 4 players = same size as a lance = maximum for scouting, 1/2 & 1/3 of the team in 8 vs 8 & 12 vs 12
  • all players of the group have to be in the same "big faction" (Clan or IS) / or in the same faction
  • Solo players can join to fill up missing players
  • Use small drop decks to avoid spawn camping & long matches: 3 Mechs, 165 tons IS / 160 tons Clans
  • drop decks have to be either Clan or IS to keep factions appart
  • use 8 vs 8 match size if population is low, 12 vs 12 if population is high
  • match maker should put groups of the same faction / unit on the same side
  • players can earn faction reputation in this mode
The old group queue has had the problem that some group sizes (9, 10) only in worked one combination (9+3, 10+2).

Also the balancing by tonnage didn't worked as intended. While bigger groups have had less tonnage per Mech they often used fast medium & heavy Mechs to swarm less coordinated teams with more tonnage (and groups).
A group size of 4 players & drop decks fix both problems (incompatibel group sizes / tonnage / swarming).

Smaller drops decks for "Faction Quickplay" also prevent NASCAR and the "wrong mech for that map syndrome". They can also be sold for MCs (monetization).
Spawn camping by one team may be a problem, but a short match time of 12-15 minutes, respawning turrets or "dead zones for the other team in the spawn areas" & game modes with objectives (Assault, Domination, Conquest, Incursion) can counter that.

The goal of this feature is to enhance the number of organised 4 player groups.
This will also benefit Faction Play with Invasion Decks by enhancing the number of faction aligned groups aviable for a call to arms.
It will reduce the number of unwanted groups in Solo Quickplay, improving the match quality for the remaining players in Solo Quickplay.

Similar to above's reply, population is pretty exclusive. You ban groups from Quick Play, the players are just going to sync drop. Also, pretty sure that spawn camping is not a result of dropping big mechs. While I am up for any reasonable solution to increase Faction Play's population, your solution of forcing Quick Play groups into pseudo-Faction Play is highly unlikely to work.

#54 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:35 AM

Add a 'forgive' option for the victim to click on if he gets team-killed. Many times it's the victims fault or he's so red that if a laser even grazes him he dies.. these cases don't deserve punishment..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 18 November 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#55 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:42 AM

In addition to the 'Favorites' tab.. let us add our own custom tabs for sorting mechs. Personally I would also like to sort based on weapon load-out rather than just weight class.. range/brawl/lrm/etc

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 18 November 2020 - 09:01 AM.

#56 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:24 AM

Advancing the timeline into Jihad or ilClan territory would allow for mixed tech.

#57 Forgeling

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:27 PM

The in game store needs a few more sorting features. Perhaps even just the ones from the mechbays such as sorting by clan or IS.

#58 Garran Tana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:20 AM

Command Console - complete redesign - change it to, when equipped it shows mech code and health percentage (maybe something else) on every friendly and enemy (targeted by anybody in the team) mech?
That's how it could be actually used for commanding as you can call out targets for the team.
It should be done in readable and clear manner, but I'm sure PGI can do proper UI asset.

#59 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:31 AM

Please create a thread for bugs.

#60 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:14 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 18 November 2020 - 05:42 AM, said:

Also, pretty sure that spawn camping is not a result of dropping big mechs.

I'm also pretty sure that spawn camping is not only a result of dropping in big mechs, that's the reason i also mentioned dead zones & turrets.
I also said the "small dropdeck" is to avoid long matches...

While I am up for any reasonable solution to increase Faction Play's population, your solution of forcing Quick Play groups into pseudo-Faction Play is highly unlikely to work.

My solution is to add smaller drop decks to group quickplay.
Could be done with mixing Clan/IS, but why?
Could be done without forcing the players to choose a faction, but why?

IMHO MWO needs a Group Mode as middle ground between Solo Quickplay (for solo players) and Faction Play (organised big groups).

The old Group Quickplay has had the problems with the hard to match group sizes & the missing balance.
What's your idea to fix those problems, if easy to match group sizes and drop decks for balance are no option?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users