682 replies to this topic

#201 Lieutenant Hedgehog

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:55 AM

Linebacker-H needs a buff. I would happily trade 2 jump jets for 2 tons.
The Heavy Laser Quirks make me want to use Heavy Lasers, but then you can't add enough Heat Sinks to use them effectively
An extra hardpoint would be amazing too. Missile, ECM, AMS, even an extra Energy would give it an advantage it needs.
You can switch Omnipods, but then there's no point using the H

#202 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:21 AM

I was just thinking back to some post-3050 campaign books, before the IIC mechs were ever dreamed up. How about clan refits of some old and respected Star League era mechs? These would be surplus that still exist in relative abundance, and normally assigned to solamha warriors or Inner Sphere bondsmen who have shown a degree of loyalty to their new masters.

The refits would be simple: The original (base model) variant with standard engine, structure, armor and heat sinks. Weapons would be replaced with their clan equivalents, with the tonnage savings made up by extra ammo, heat sinks or armor as appropriate. Particular mechs which come to mind are:

Light - Locust, Firestarter, Urbanmech, Spider
Medium - Hunchback, Phoenix Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Griffin
Heavy - Rifleman, Thunderbolt, Warhammer, Marauder
Assault - Awesome, Battlemaster, Banshee, Atlas

These versions could even be offered in a starter pack for new players. For a reasonable price, choose a matched pair (IS and Clan) from each weight class.

#203 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:59 AM

This one might require some back end work, but could increase the desirability of omnimechs. Set up an option to "hot swap" omnimech pods just prior to drop. Not as involved as a drop deck, the player simply selects 2 builds for a given omni chassis prior to entering quick play. At any point during the vote screen, the player may choose which build to play for that drop.

#204 Shadowfell Chicken

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

I joined when the game wasn't being tweaked any more, just over a year ago. When I spent the money, I expected that the hero mechs I spent real-world money on would continue to be good for some time to come.
It is my hope that they don't get nerfed. If something is a hero mech that was good and then was nerfed, and those people want it re-balanced and restored to usefulness, that's understandable. But I'm really hoping that the things I've spent a great deal of time and actual money on aren't substantially diminished all of a sudden.
Changing the weapons would do the same, of course.
I hope the tweaks are gradual for all the other mechs until they are more competitive.

#205 3RoyalStar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:25 PM

More packs like the Solaris hero one like at least one more?
Also update trial mechs please

Edited by 3RoyalStar1, 04 December 2020 - 02:30 PM.

#206 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostTenchuu, on 04 December 2020 - 01:05 AM, said:

Huh, and here I was thinking I needed to write out how much actual melee would shake things up and so would the inclusion of quads, but it looks like it's already been said. So +1 for some going to the source material thinking "out of the box" by looking in it.
Like the 3 legged mechs from the DARK AGE, quads & Land-Air-Mechs are ABOMINATIONs even worse than ProtoMechs !

#207 Sgraz

• Pip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:28 AM

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current mechs and how they work in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
  • New 'Mech Variants
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
  • Weapon Balance Pass
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

My answers:

• Some new mech please! If possible, Light or Medium category.
  • Something playable and usable.
  • Bring in some classic old mechs and bit newer, Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie, Clint, Wolftrap, Crusader, Caesar.... When we get more IIC variants?
  • Rescale. This is a good idea and we need it. Some mechs really suffered the last rescale.
  • Mobility. This is also required but I think we need new content before that.
  • Bolt-ons... Do we really need them..? They are cool but should be last thing to update, rather bring new camo patterns or way to paint own mechs.
  • Quirks to those under performers to balance them out OR just add some lore quirks. Not to all mechs. Then bring in new quirks! I miss that Summoner +5% speed quirk for example.
  • Armor balancing is an interesting idea. Especially those mechs with very small arms or just guns instead of arms. Needs some testing thou.
  • Weapon balance. They are quite balanced now.
  • I don´t think we really need IS Omnimechs. Movement / engine discussion would need an own thread. There is so many opinions about it.

There is my few cents...

- Sgraz -

#208 3RoyalStar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

Yeah update bolt ons last maybe make them cheaper
750 mc is a bit much just to put angel wings on your mech
We also should have more classic mechs come to mwo
Like the stinger, wasp, etc
Also what about adding super heavy as a new wait class I was reading something like this on sarna

Sorry accidentally wrote wait class instead of weight class

Edited by 3RoyalStar1, 05 December 2020 - 09:59 AM.

#209 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 December 2020 - 07:17 AM

I'm not sure how bolt-ons work currently, but it seems like they should be destroyed when the attachment point is hit. Complete indestructibility sounds like a bad idea to me.

Was an opportunity missed to implement spotlight rules from tabletop here? Spotlights would be a great consumable bolt-on, costing only c-bills and needing to be replaced after each match in which they are destroyed.

#210 3RoyalStar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:00 AM

I just think bolt ons are junk
Maybe they could add a consumable that would regenerate like 10 percent of health but you could only use it one

#211 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:04 AM

View PostWill9761, on 23 November 2020 - 10:00 PM, said:

Assaults
IS BattleMech - Longbow (Mechwarrior 4 Mercs) (407 votes)
IS OmniMech - Hauptmann (Mechwarrior 4 Mercs) (367 votes)

The Sunder received more votes than the Hauptmann.

View PostDisagreeable Unconstructiveness, on 21 November 2020 - 05:48 AM, said:

Huge hit boxes on the Fafnir for example make them almost useless unless with ecm and gauss snipering.

I wonder if that's a sign of how that mech was intended to be used....

#212 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:57 AM

New 'Mech Variants

Please god no. I mean as much as part of me wants you to add the Viper variant that gives it the ability to run 8 machine guns I think it is important to remind everyone there are almost as many unique variants in this game as there are pokemon.

Number of unique variants = 619
Number of pokemon (not counting forms) = 893

What I would love to see is actually shrinking that number and combining variants that just don't make sense (Firestarter and Vindicator are good examples of mechs that can be combined into one). I get that a lot of these are canon variants but in a game that struggles to give mechs niches and most variants just end up being pigeon holed into specific builds, it just runs counter to the idea of the game. It should also hopefully help narrow down roles for mechs so that they have less overlap because really that is the bane of this game and has been since the early days where mechs with similar hardpoints but better mounts contributed to many mechs being overshadowed.

Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)

Please God no, this is how we ended up with giant mechs the last time. If anything I would prefer an adjustment to use weighted surface area than by volumetric (surface area that is front facing is more important than side surface area).

Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)

This just needs to be increased across the board after the desync because no one really bothers with the mobility focused skill tree stuff because it just isn't worth it compared to the rest. Which is fine because the skill tree is stupid anyway and always has been. The game would be better off without it and just focus and potentially new components or equipment that added some abilities you can get through the skill tree.

Weapon Balance Pass

Brawling/Energy weapons probably need a buff, dakka kinda reigns supreme in PUG stomping because it has the best DPS which allows you to burn down everything the fastest. I haven't been back long enough to know if the meta changed though because honestly I doubt much has really changed the past 2 years. Dakka and Gauss vomit probably has the best DPS but leverages (ER)PPC medium for support.

IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

I'm gonna repeat what I said several years ago, remove side torso destruction penalties (including death) and make survivability more tangible by allowing the different engines to boost torso internals/armor (standard engine adds 50%, light engines get 25%, XL engines work the same but without the Clan XL torso penalty). If that isn't enough, you can copy what a mod did from the MW4 days and allow the standard and light engines to have higher heat caps.

EDIT: FORGOT THIS FUN ONE

Set of 8 quirks

No, just stop. Either remove the omnipod system or remove the set of 8 quirks. You have two systems clashing with each other. Omnipods allow you to swap for the best hardpoint sets and treat each copy of that mech as another instance unless they have different CT hardpoints. Then you have set of 8 which are intended to incentivize the opposite. The only reason that anyone uses the set of 8 quirks even of crappy mechs is if it happens to be inline with the build anyway. These aren't actually boosting poor performers so let's stop pretending like they are.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 09 December 2020 - 05:58 PM.

#213 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:40 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current mechs and how they work in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choic
  • yeah sure
  • New 'Mech Variants
  • cool
  • all the 35 toners need some love and the 80's theres just so many mechs that need durability assessments some need shrinking some just need buffs
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync) i think if every mech got a few extra degrees of torso yaw and twisted and turned a smidge quicker evry mech would be a little bit better

• Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)-sure

• Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers- double heat dissipation for stock loadouts no dont
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman) armor and scaling and hit boxs for all these mechs

• Weapon Balance Pass- buff the red lasers the dangers of getting in so close were never taken into account when making the damage out put align with the other lasers they all need just one more damage or less cooldown and heat

• IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion- what evs

#214 suum74

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 76 posts
  • Location»Hoho! Afraskai kuku!«

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:50 PM

I'd be already pretty happy with something I figure quite easy to accomplish: New variants of the Mechs we already have! Even if they won't differ much hardpoint-wise. The Project Phoenix-variants would even come in nice stock-loadouts that'd include new tech...
And as extra flavor how about adding some paintjobs of known BattleTech units.
I badly want my Wolverine-6M in the paintjob of Rolling Thunder!

Edited by suum74, 08 December 2020 - 01:52 PM.

#215 Forgeling

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:26 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

• New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
  • New 'Mech Variants
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
  • Weapon Balance Pass
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

New Mech Variants I'd love to see would be something like a Piranha-C that can hold 12 C-SRM 2 and a Nova-E that can hold 16 Machine Guns. I'm a big fan of using a lot of tiny weapons.

I'd love for the Jenner 2C to be a bit smaller or bite the bullet and make it a 145kph Medium.

Bolt-ons staying attached makes sense but if so they should not have a hitbox, you should just hit what is behind them.

Instead of Set of 8 quirks, more of those quirks should be attached to specific omnipods in the set or even the CT. Otherwise I'd say go for Set of 4 quirks or Set of 6 at the most.

Arm-weapon-only mechs definitely need something going for them.

Ongoing weapon balances are probably a good thing to bring back but maybe be a it more flexible about how often they happen.

#216 Slambot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:37 PM

List of requests

1. Mech Rescale (85% of mechs need shrinking) not flea, urbie, piranha, or locust..use those as a base and move up accordingly.
2. Un- nerf mechs like the timby, and the night gyr
3. Weapons pass unnerf the IS large pulse, nerf strikes and indirect lurms.
4. Fix map problems like invisible walls, and being able to see through terrain.

#217 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:51 PM

View Postsuum74, on 08 December 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

I'd be already pretty happy with something I figure quite easy to accomplish: New variants of the Mechs we already have! Even if they won't differ much hardpoint-wise. The Project Phoenix-variants would even come in nice stock-loadouts that'd include new tech...
And as extra flavor how about adding some paintjobs of known BattleTech units.
I badly want my Wolverine-6M in the paintjob of Rolling Thunder!

Wow, I still have a copy of that module on a bookshelf...

#218 Loco Dennis

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDeutschland - Germany

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:38 AM

Sorry, if its already in this Thread, but i realy want this mech in MWO. Saw it in pinterest

https://www.pinteres...44316524095673/

#219 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:19 AM

View PostSgraz, on 05 December 2020 - 04:28 AM, said:

• Bring in some classic old mechs, Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie, Crusader

This ^
(and Longbow)

#220 Wild Kadabra

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:14 PM

A quirk that I would love to see is an 8-Piece quirk that allows certain clan mechs to have 15 points of damage to a single location.

This 8-Piece bonus quirk would be limited to mechs that only have one ERPPC in their standard configuration and PERHAP some mechs that are iconic ERPPC wielding mechs.

Examples:

Summoner Prime
Viper B
Ice Ferret Prime
Huntsman B
Black Lanner A
Mad Dog A
Executioner B

Mechs that could POSSIBLY also qualify as intended ERPPC boats:

Adder Prime
Nova A
Hellbringer Prime
Warhawk Prime

This bonus would be exclusive to 8-Pods.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users