682 replies to this topic

#161 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:44 AM

Why the basic Jenner has been left the way it is for so long eludes me. It got bigger. Its weapons arms became more fragile. It has bad durability quirks. It has no ECM variant. It has limited hardpoints (two M points in CT, yeah don't tell me that's good). I'd understand keeping it terrible because it can no longer be monetized so it's just there to make new lights look cool, but other than that reason there's nothing I can think of design-wise why it was left in that state. This is just an example as there are many other mechs in the same boat.

Remember that to new players, all these mechs can be monetized if they are worth the money. What PGI did was make sure that old players would only recommend a handful of mechs because PGI left so many in the dust. Making the base mech models better gives more reason to make the hero mech better. Crappy mechs can't have overly good hero mechs because it'll look too much like P2W, so obviously PGI needs to make the base mechs better so it's not too far apart from the Hero versions. To monetize better with new players, the more choices for good variants/hero mechs, the better instead of having only a handful of choices and hoping n00bs fall into n00b trap purchases for the extra cash.

Also Jump Jets. I hate smashing my face up a hill. Really. It doesn't look good. It doesn't feel good. It looks like a half-baked mechanic. In what imaginary reality will a giant robot grind itself to dust up a hillside?

HSL quirks are fun. More of these would be nice unless the weapon pass fixes ghost heat limits on items like AC/20 and Gauss + PPC link.

Ghostheat. Why are you making players manage a mechanic that has big penalties without any visual or audio feedback from the game to see when it's okay to fire extra weapons? Ghostheat is an appropriate term because the game itself doesn't give any feedback or indication that it even exists during a match except for the heat spike. No ghost heat timer appears to let people know it's okay to fire that second AC/20. Basics of game design! Add visual/audio feedback if you insist on keeping it.

Armor quirks are better than structure quirks. Let's not even put that up for debate. When mechs like the Centurion are rotting, why are they still using structure quirks? Take a look at the Yen Lo Wang an tell me with a straight face that it was properly quirked for the sake of being balance, fun and worth the purchase. No high mounts. No armor. Only 3 hardpoints with 2 being in the CT which only has 2 slots and quirks far less than the HBK-4G which has high mounts, more hardpoints. Seriously, even if nothing is done about this, at least admit to yourselves that this absolutely makes no sense from a player perspective. You will find many similar comparisons among the chassis/variants that exist. It just makes no sense to me as a player.

On the topic of quirks, anything less than 5% feels like nothing. 5% already feels like nothing just looking at the number, but it makes sense when used for things like beam duration or weapon velocity because you can only get max 15% of those stats from Skill Tree, so 5% feels like a lot there. Same goes with spread. Don't give me a bunch of 2.5% quirks. Remove some and make others 5% or remove the 5% that aren't that great and put a decent one at 10%.

It's honestly hard to discuss new mechs when I see all these old ones that are left in such a state of disarray. It doesn't give me confidence that the new one will be properly designed because many of the existing ones are not properly designed. I hope you get where I am coming from as a player.

#162 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:50 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current mechs and how they work in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
  • New 'Mech Variants
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
  • Weapon Balance Pass
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

FIRST, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS THREAD!

For many years, I kept this thing running.

In short, here are the mechs I really want to see next in the game:
  • The remaining Macross unseen mechs: Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie, some Ost-mech (Ostroc would be the best), Crusader and Longbow. Maybe in a pack? (Project Phoenix II?)
  • For IS omnimechs: Raptor, Men-Shen, Avatar, Templar/Sunder/Hauptmann. Hey, I can see a pack there. Yep, the locked engines might be a problem - but do IS XL really need to destroy mechs with one side torso lost?
  • MW4 leftovers: Chimera, Argus.
  • Other IS fan favorites, like Anubis, Flashman, Pillager, Devastator...
  • For Clan omnimechs: Dasher/Fire Falcon/Hellion, Mongrel (AKA Grendel), Turkina.
  • For Clan battlemechs: MW4's Hellhound, Stone Rhino and Bane (release the Kraken!).
New mechs would help monetizing the game and could translate to MW5 (even if in DLCs). Please, do this.

EDIT: while we are at it, why not considering IS melee mechs? Scarabus, Hatchetman, Axman and Berserker (4 mech pack ready) would sell a lot! Just make those melee weapons locked to the chassis or a new type of hardpoint - you don't need to change anything in existing mechs.

Edited by Odanan, 10 December 2020 - 04:14 AM.

#163 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:33 AM

View PostToque88, on 16 November 2020 - 10:22 PM, said:

Fresh ideas?
1. What about No lethal weapons that cause adverse effects?
5. Add a restricted guidance envelope to SRM's and MRM, or stop call them missiles if the behave just like Rockets!
6. Add more quirks to the guidance computers that make them an important necessity on the battlefield.
7. Add PPC EMP effects that disrupt hud and degrade engine performance.
8. Add Inferno SRM's

This. ^

#164 Mercu

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:00 AM

Personally I don't think we need more mechs. One gameplay tweak, one feature and all the mechs will take on a new lease of life!

#165 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

View PostMercu, on 25 November 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

Personally I don't think we need more mechs. One gameplay tweak, one feature and all the mechs will take on a new lease of life!

Well which gameplay tweak would you want then?
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
  • Weapon Balance Pass

#166 VileKnight

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:46 AM

View PostRaging Owlbear, on 24 November 2020 - 09:05 PM, said:

How about... oh, I dunno... maps?

Dude. There is a dedicated thread for maps. Throw your map ideas in that thread, and let people who want to discuss mechs continue on in this thread.

#167 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:46 AM

Given that the Fire Moth is a popular Clan Omni that everyone wants, I say that the Fire Moth's Speed Problem needs to be dealt with now. I would gladly sacrifice it's speed by halving it.

#168 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:14 AM

Jesus wept, if PGI put in half the effort that people on this forum did we'd have the best game in the history of the world.

#169 VgerRD

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIn front of my monitor

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

View PostElizander, on 25 November 2020 - 02:44 AM, said:

Why the basic Jenner has been left the way it is for so long eludes me. It got bigger. Its weapons arms became more fragile. It has bad durability quirks. It has no ECM variant. It has limited hardpoints (two M points in CT, yeah don't tell me that's good). I'd understand keeping it terrible because it can no longer be monetized so it's just there to make new lights look cool, but other than that reason there's nothing I can think of design-wise why it was left in that state. This is just an example as there are many other mechs in the same boat.

Remember that to new players, all these mechs can be monetized if they are worth the money. What PGI did was make sure that old players would only recommend a handful of mechs because PGI left so many in the dust. Making the base mech models better gives more reason to make the hero mech better. Crappy mechs can't have overly good hero mechs because it'll look too much like P2W, so obviously PGI needs to make the base mechs better so it's not too far apart from the Hero versions. To monetize better with new players, the more choices for good variants/hero mechs, the better instead of having only a handful of choices and hoping n00bs fall into n00b trap purchases for the extra cash.

Also Jump Jets. I hate smashing my face up a hill. Really. It doesn't look good. It doesn't feel good. It looks like a half-baked mechanic. In what imaginary reality will a giant robot grind itself to dust up a hillside?

HSL quirks are fun. More of these would be nice unless the weapon pass fixes ghost heat limits on items like AC/20 and Gauss + PPC link.

Ghostheat. Why are you making players manage a mechanic that has big penalties without any visual or audio feedback from the game to see when it's okay to fire extra weapons? Ghostheat is an appropriate term because the game itself doesn't give any feedback or indication that it even exists during a match except for the heat spike. No ghost heat timer appears to let people know it's okay to fire that second AC/20. Basics of game design! Add visual/audio feedback if you insist on keeping it.

Armor quirks are better than structure quirks. Let's not even put that up for debate. When mechs like the Centurion are rotting, why are they still using structure quirks? Take a look at the Yen Lo Wang an tell me with a straight face that it was properly quirked for the sake of being balance, fun and worth the purchase. No high mounts. No armor. Only 3 hardpoints with 2 being in the CT which only has 2 slots and quirks far less than the HBK-4G which has high mounts, more hardpoints. Seriously, even if nothing is done about this, at least admit to yourselves that this absolutely makes no sense from a player perspective. You will find many similar comparisons among the chassis/variants that exist. It just makes no sense to me as a player.

On the topic of quirks, anything less than 5% feels like nothing. 5% already feels like nothing just looking at the number, but it makes sense when used for things like beam duration or weapon velocity because you can only get max 15% of those stats from Skill Tree, so 5% feels like a lot there. Same goes with spread. Don't give me a bunch of 2.5% quirks. Remove some and make others 5% or remove the 5% that aren't that great and put a decent one at 10%.

It's honestly hard to discuss new mechs when I see all these old ones that are left in such a state of disarray. It doesn't give me confidence that the new one will be properly designed because many of the existing ones are not properly designed. I hope you get where I am coming from as a player.

^^ THIS!! Along with my suggestion earlier in the thread! Please PGI, do what needs to be done!

#170 colt

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

Personally, I'd like to see something new. I've given up hope of seeing any quads on this platform.
  • Hauptman Heavy OmniMech
  • Crusader
  • Valkyrie Light Mech
  • Pillager
  • Kingfisher Assault OmniMech

#171 Valdorel

• PipPip
  • The Soviet
  • The Soviet
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:11 PM

I would love to see the Rakshasa put into the game. Along with IS Omnis like the Avatar.

#172 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:27 AM

View PostWill9761, on 25 November 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

Given that the Fire Moth is a popular Clan Omni that everyone wants, I say that the Fire Moth's Speed Problem needs to be dealt with now. I would gladly sacrifice it's speed by halving it.

PGI just needs to remove MASC from the mech (it could use that extra ton for armour, anyway).

#173 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

Hate to Necro a topic about JJs, Knock downs and DFAs. aka limited physical attacks

Old school pop tart haters run PGI so please make mechs that jump better. Keep in mind, in this BT universe, there are Jump ships that quickly move around the galaxy with drop ships inside them. I don't think that the same tech would have a problem making a mech fly. I will let you in on a little secret about player wants. We kind of like to fly in our mech simulator. Posted Image

I have heard you talk about even bringing back knock downs. Well. Please add death from above (DFA) to that want list.

Edited by Deathshade, 26 November 2020 - 08:44 AM.

#174 valt901

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

Why, when i get shot in the back it also destroys my front armor. But when i get shot in the front it doesn't destroy my back armor?

#175 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 26 November 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

I have heard you talk about even bringing back knock downs. Well. Please add death from above (DFA) to that want list.

If we bring back knockdowns I sure as hell hope it includes lights hugging legs getting kicked into next week.

#176 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:29 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 26 November 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

Hate to Necro a topic about JJs, Knock downs and DFAs. aka limited physical attacks

Old school pop tart haters run PGI so please make mechs that jump better. Keep in mind, in this BT universe, there are Jump ships that quickly move around the galaxy with drop ships inside them. I don't think that the same tech would have a problem making a mech fly. I will let you in on a little secret about player wants. We kind of like to fly in our mech simulator. Posted Image

the last in a Townhall heard from russ, thats IK...sorry not came back, its a ressource hog

https://mwomercs.com...re-implemented/

its a heavy Ressource Hog and its a old Discussion

https://mwomercs.com...ns/page__st__40

https://www.reddit.c...ttle_thing_but/

let seeing the Animations of the Mechs , the most cruefull ...dancing Daishis and terrainsliding Lights

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 26 November 2020 - 07:42 PM.

#177 Charismatic Enigma

• PipPip
  • The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:43 PM

How about this - New mode Infiltration using stealth etc....

#178 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:01 PM

View PostCharismatic Enigma, on 26 November 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

How about this - New mode Infiltration using stealth etc....

This isn't the right thread for that. Try here:
https://mwomercs.com...ine-2021-modes/

#179 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:09 PM

Urbie IIC

#180 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

Just realized a good one. Make Omnimechs actual Omnimechs. Eliminate hardpoints(keep ghost heat for all I care) but make it so I can mount whatever tonnage of weapons and equipment on an Omnimech that I want.

I'm posting this with complete and full knowledge that it will never ever ever happen, but I want it so why not request it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users