Mechwarrior Online 2021: Mechs

2021 mechs

682 replies to this topic

#581 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:51 PM

View PostDarth Khan, on 20 July 2021 - 02:19 AM, said:

The Rifleman III was only ever a prototype so it doesn't really work well for adding, and the Malice is 2.5 tons OVER its chassis weight, making it not legal to play outside of...I think lvl 2 or house rules. I will agree on all the rest you posted here except the Blade, that one is just plain worthless.

EDIT: I do love the Malice btw, but it being over weight rules it out sadly.

Edited by Avalon91211, 20 July 2021 - 12:59 PM.

#582 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:57 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 20 July 2021 - 02:43 AM, said:

*snip*

I can totally agree on the powercreep bit. I can also agree on the older weapons not being on par with new ones. I mean hello, Clan weapons are supposed to be OP, the reason they got be was because they fractured among themselves and left Smoke Jag to be wiped out. Clan tech still beats anything the Inner Sphere has, even Star League era gear.

And yes, the Kingfisher is a must for the Clan's. I would also love IS Omni's, but the main reason they'll never add them (PGI has pretty much said never) is because they don't wanna redo how XL's work, instead of actually following TT rulesets.

#583 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:04 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 20 July 2021 - 02:43 AM, said:

That's not the "only" reason: In my case, and in the case of a lot of the folks that I've played and grouped with, it's an alternative to the Piranha at 20 tons for putting Faction Play drop decks together. Even more importantly, the Firemoth was THE de-facto scout 'mech for Clan Ghost Bear. The Ghost Bears didn't use the Piranha, nor the Arctic Cheetah, and had a fair few fewer Mist Lynx' than they had Firemoths. In order to more accurately role play as a member of Clan Ghost Bear, we need the Firemoth. The other main reason is the only reason to get more than 30 or 40 'mechs: Pokémech. "Gotta catch 'em all".

Now, now: be nice to the Adder. The REAL first good-looking Clan Light. Posted Image Otherwise, yes: the Fire Falcon would be a good addition at 25 tons, and would be an alternative to the Mist Lynx for Clan Jade Falcon drop decks.

This sounds completely reasonable, and along the lines of what the staff at PGI have proposed in the past, right before being pressured into giving us all more, faster. Better to get something at a reasonable pace, than not get anything at all.

On the one hand, I want HAGs because we have a lot of missing variants that are only missing because of that weapon system (going back to Pokémech). On the other hand, power creep is getting so far out of whack that we'll need to think long and hard about how best to implement them.

My own suggestions for new 'mechs to add (though I feel like there should be a "add your own" vote system pinned to the top of this thread, and whenever PGI shuts down the vote, the highest votes win), starting with tonnages that only have a single option:

Firemoth (CL, 20t)
Fire Falcon (CL, 25t)
Mongoose (IS, 25t)
Turkina (CL, 95t)

Other 'mechs that I want for Ghost Bear roleplay:

Kingfisher
Grizzly

Or for reliving the MW4 glory days:

Stone Rhino (Mektek mod)
Longbow

Obviously, insofar as the "Pokémech" concept or fleshing out the universe feel, adding the remaining Unseens and the rest of TRO 3025 is desirable, as is adding Tanks, Aerospace, and Infantry to flesh out the combat experience, even if non-mech assets are only AI controlled. (Wasn't there some concept back in the day about units who got their tag on a planet being able to purchase upgrades for the defense of that planet? Back then it was buying more waves of attack and counter-attack, but it'd be lots of fun if it was buying waves of tanks and aerospace, and it'd give something for units to spend their CB coffers on besides recruitment, but I'm getting off topic for this thread).

IS Omnis are another common request, as they're supposed to have shown up in-universe by now. (What ever did happen to "one-day-at-a-time"? That was honestly going to be the single most amazing thing about MWO, and the single thing that had me absolutely hyped when I heard about it, and it was abandoned before I ever got a new enough computer. That was likely the single worst decision ever made by PGI. It also would have accounted for balancing old weapons against new ones: you don't. "The timeline is progressing, and as it does, technology is improving, leaving older outdated equipment in the dust". We don't use F-4 Phantoms, anymore, even though they were amazing in their heyday).
I think HAg's will work fine as a sort of rotary guass no jam just a cooldown afer a certain number of rapid shots... ,but damage output is going to be hard for total the hag 20 could do 10 total damage or 20 but then there's the 30 and 40...

The reason we don't have IS omni's is many have XL engines and per omni rules they cannot change thier engines because if we allow IS omni's to change engines that would allow Clans to change omni engines which both are wrong, so the problem is that your stuck with an IS XL engine and will die in one side torso hit i guess many players do not want that I'd be fine with it if and only IF they stuck with fixed equipment and XL engines if their sheet has them... I think there are some IS omni's with standard engines like the Raptor I think..

Edited by KursedVixen, 20 July 2021 - 01:08 PM.

#584 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

View PostAvalon91211, on 20 July 2021 - 12:57 PM, said:

I can totally agree on the powercreep bit. I can also agree on the older weapons not being on par with new ones. I mean hello, Clan weapons are supposed to be OP, the reason they got be was because they fractured among themselves and left Smoke Jag to be wiped out. Clan tech still beats anything the Inner Sphere has, even Star League era gear.

And yes, the Kingfisher is a must for the Clan's. I would also love IS Omni's, but the main reason they'll never add them (PGI has pretty much said never) is because they don't wanna redo how XL's work, instead of actually following TT rulesets.

I personally say they don't change anything about how XL's work. Instead, they reduce or eliminate pinpoint damage application (which is why IS XL is as fragile as it is, on top of other 'mechs with protruding geometry. If you could fire 10 weapons and have all 10 hit the same component on TT, XL engines would never have become a viable technology, similar to how they're rather useless in MWO). Naturally, the competitive players don't like not having literally everything land where they aim. I'm personally in favor of parallel weapon paths, rather than anything that relies on any form of RNG. It minimizes the pinpoint issue while retaining the ability and necessity to use skill in aiming.

#585 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 20 July 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

I think HAg's will work fine as a sort of rotary guass no jam just a cooldown afer a certain number of rapid shots... ,but damage output is going to be hard for total the hag 20 could do 10 total damage or 20 but then there's the 30 and 40...

Well, the issue is that just like the AC/2 does 2 damage, and the AC/5 does 5 damage, etc, the HAG 20 does 20 damage, and the 30 does 30 damage, etc. The difference is that HAGs fire 1-dmg projectiles in the quantity required to deal the specified damage. They all use the same ammo, but the bigger they are, the faster they fire, basically. This will allow (and we certainly encourage) PGI to add a "spread" to the projectiles akin to RAC's and MG's. Realistically, the weapon will translate into a cooler running, heavier Clan MRM using different hardpoints.

Now that we have the DWF-C, next up is the DWF-D, yeah? :D (2x HAG 40's, although I don't think it will actually add any new hardpoints. All we need is the weapon system, and you can reconfigure the -W with a ballistic right-arm omnipod to fit the loadout).

#586 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:23 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 20 July 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

Well, the issue is that just like the AC/2 does 2 damage, and the AC/5 does 5 damage, etc, the HAG 20 does 20 damage, and the 30 does 30 damage, etc. The difference is that HAGs fire 1-dmg projectiles in the quantity required to deal the specified damage. They all use the same ammo, but the bigger they are, the faster they fire, basically. This will allow (and we certainly encourage) PGI to add a "spread" to the projectiles akin to RAC's and MG's. Realistically, the weapon will translate into a cooler running, heavier Clan MRM using different hardpoints.

Now that we have the DWF-C, next up is the DWF-D, yeah? Posted Image (2x HAG 40's, although I don't think it will actually add any new hardpoints. All we need is the weapon system, and you can reconfigure the -W with a ballistic right-arm omnipod to fit the loadout).
Or i could work like a guass LBX but the 'pellets' don't spread as much...

#587 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

next variant to implement Mist Lynx P for 8energy hard points.

#588 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:28 AM

IS needs an assault mech with 10+ energy hard points and a decent engine cap to be able to keep up with stuff like the executioner and super nova. Cyclops variant maybe?

#589 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:40 AM

New mechs? Apart from fixing the included ones?
From the Firebee to the Wakizashi, everything could came! Time for a BT game where we could try ALL the mechs! Varium delicate est...
Or select from the dish:
Posted Image

I strongly suppose (got it, PGI: STRONGLY) the Shrike! WANNA DAT RIGHT NAOOOOW!
BUT! Some new hero mechs perhaps? Like a kuritan Victor?
Posted Image
Time for mechanised warfare!

Edited by Duke Falcon, 06 August 2021 - 09:41 AM.

#590 Rattlehead2

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:09 PM

Their are a list of mechs I'd love to see return or be interested in playing with.

1.The Avatar (Inner sphere heavy Omni mech, Mechwarrior 3)
2.Conjurer (Clanner Medium Omnimech, Mechwarrior mercenaries)
3. Black Hawk (clanner medium mech, Dark Age)
4. Bull Shark (Clanner? Assault, Battle Tech)
5.The Black Watch (Innersphere Assault, Remembered it from an doLD SESSion)
6.UrbanMech IIC (clanner Light mech, Cause Come on)
7.FireFly's (inner sphere light mech, Mechwarrior 3)
8. Argus (Heavy Inner Sphere, Mechwarrior 4)

I know I'm being a greedy little *******, however..It would be nice especially with the avatar since they seemingly are open and to have them

#591 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:29 PM

View PostAvalon91211, on 20 July 2021 - 12:57 PM, said:

Yes Kingfisher would be great.

IS Omni's have plenty of options that would work fine. They XL issue is only an issue from a couple of the well known heavies and assaults (Avatar, Sunder, Templar), the rest are small and mobile enough that you would probably be using an XL engine anyway. Hauptmann has a STD engine and can do dual heavy gauss on top of the shoulders at head level (read: different from Fafnir) along with ECM. It also has the potential to jump. That's just one example but there is nothing from really preventing them from adding IS Omni's. If they have unfavorable characteristics, that's what quirks are for.

#592 Zyzxy

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 02:56 PM

I know its a longshot, but is it weird if I want to see the Axman/Hatchetman with some functional melee?

also playable elemental battle armor, I know its asking for a lot :/

#593 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 August 2021 - 03:12 PM

View PostZyzxy, on 09 August 2021 - 02:56 PM, said:

I know its a longshot, but is it weird if I want to see the Axman/Hatchetman with some functional melee?

also playable elemental battle armor, I know its asking for a lot :/

As much as I complain about pinpoint alpha strikes, the Axeman/Hatchetman are the one exception where I'd be okay with the hatchet having enough damage potential to sever a limb with one swing. Naturally, this should be within melee range (10-15 meters) thus, it wouldn't be overpowered because of the stupid short range required. I think it should be coded like a ranged weapon with a ridiculously short range, and PGI can figure out what they want to do about an animation.

#594 Dennin

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:41 AM

How about just implementing Clan Invasion and Master Rules era technologies and mechs? I mean.. really.. the single biggest failing of this game is that it calls itself Mechwarrior and then ignores the greatest parts of what made Battletech TTP, BattleMech and Mechwarrior I/II/III/IV amazing.. THEY EVOLVED! Stagnation is what's killing this game.. not the IP. Giant freakin robots.. superheroes.. fantasy.. these genre's are huge right now. If you are failing to gain a foothold in today's world, it's not because the IP is the problem. There are literal dozens of films/tv/streaming shows/games in development around the world trying to capitalize on the various IP's that are seeing a resurgence in popularity. Transformers, Robotech, Gundam, Pacific Rim, Voltron, Mazinger Z.. name a giant robot franchise and someone is probably trying to develop it. SO GET OUT OF THE SWAMP PGI. STAGNATION IS WHAT'S KILLING YOU. I've been playing Battletech since the early 80's. I love this franchise. I will continue to love it whether it's PGI or another company in charge of it. I just wish a company that loved it as much as I do would finally get control of it and make it shine.

Implement Clan Invasion and Master Rules.. that would be a start.

#595 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:32 PM

View PostDennin, on 12 September 2021 - 09:41 AM, said:

How about just implementing Clan Invasion and Master Rules era technologies and mechs? I mean.. really.. the single biggest failing of this game is that it calls itself Mechwarrior and then ignores the greatest parts of what made Battletech TTP, BattleMech and Mechwarrior I/II/III/IV amazing.. THEY EVOLVED! Stagnation is what's killing this game.. not the IP. Giant freakin robots.. superheroes.. fantasy.. these genre's are huge right now. If you are failing to gain a foothold in today's world, it's not because the IP is the problem. There are literal dozens of films/tv/streaming shows/games in development around the world trying to capitalize on the various IP's that are seeing a resurgence in popularity. Transformers, Robotech, Gundam, Pacific Rim, Voltron, Mazinger Z.. name a giant robot franchise and someone is probably trying to develop it. SO GET OUT OF THE SWAMP PGI. STAGNATION IS WHAT'S KILLING YOU. I've been playing Battletech since the early 80's. I love this franchise. I will continue to love it whether it's PGI or another company in charge of it. I just wish a company that loved it as much as I do would finally get control of it and make it shine.

Implement Clan Invasion and Master Rules.. that would be a start.

This is 1000% the reason the original PGI claim of wanting to make the game progress 1:1 with real time was going to be so amazing, and 1000% the reason that abandoning that idea was a terrible decision, even if it did make the "minimum" in "minimum viable product". If we actually had 1:1 time progression, then the game would be allowed to evolve and progress naturally with the universe, including allowing outdated equipment to remain outdated, rather than trying to balance equipment that was specifically designed as a direct replacement to be of equal power to that which it intended to replace. Kinda like putting an F-4 and an F-15 on equal footing... As amazing as the F-4 was, the F-15 is better, because it was specifically designed to be.

#596 herosupport

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:38 AM

the Awesome AWS-PB left torso and arm needs to be changed so its a mirror of the right side of the mech also move the head laser to the center torso slot this will actually fix and buff the mech.

Perk: MRM 40 heat scale limit +1

Edited by herosupport, 19 September 2021 - 08:41 AM.

#597 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:54 AM

There's a lot of mechs I'd like to see; but I feel like right now the big thing is that a lot of the mechs that people want, as well as a lot of the variants people have an interest in; rely on technologies that aren't in the game. There are three that I'm going to highlight here, as well as spitball some ideas of my own - I'm sure people will have their own ideas, of course.

The first one is the HAGs. We've all had different ideas on these; I know; but the simplest solution that I can think of is probably the classiest; making the weapon into less of a pinpoint murder machine and more the kind of weapon it was on the tabletop. Essentially; it has the charge-up of a Gauss Rifle; probably scaling with size (HAG 20 = LGR, HAG 30 = GR, HAG 40 = HGR). Once charged, the mech vomits a cone of projectiles, with the number of slugs equal to the weapon size. They'll be ammunition hungry beasts; obviously - as they are in the tabletop - and the spread will be nasty at long range, leaving the HAGs in a role similar to an LBX.

The second one is the Thunderbolt missile. Which, really; is just a single massive LRM. Easy to work around the MOAM - just have it function as an arcing autocannon shell with LRM targeting mechanics, and enough projectile HP to stop AMS from instantly blowing it up. Sure, they'd be a meme, but they'd also be a lot of fun.

Sadly, the timeline isn't quite there for X-Pulse Lasers, but I visualize those as being more like laser RACs - after a brief "windup time" it starts unleashing pulses of energy at regular ranges but high speed, and it just rapidly builds up heat with a jam chance of sorts, like a safety lock.

- - - - -

Aside for adding new weapon systems - and the variants of established mechs that utilize them - then the only other thing I can think of is rounding out the major 3050 mechs, more of the 3060s, and more of the older mech options. And the missing IICs. Right now, for example, I'd love to see things like the Longbow, the Kraken, the Fire Moth... there's a lot of options in Battletech even without moving the timeline forward, by opening access to things from behind.

#598 TailBlue

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:02 AM

Instead of making a duplicated post of the exact same thing.

Ill post a link to it.
New Marauder Variants.
https://mwomercs.com...auder-variants/

#599 Hawok79

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWo sind wir daheim,Frankfurt am Main!

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:54 AM

The Summoner need some Love.
For a 70t Mech is a load of 21t simply not enough.Combined with the rare weapon hardpoints, it is far underarmed than comparable mechs of this class.
Give him adicional Omnipods or adjust the payload.

- Mad Cat Mk IV
- Ryoken II (this time in pretty please)
- Warthog (MW4)

Edit:
You nerved the KDK 3 into the Ground,its unplayabale in this state,change it back to the values at the release.

Edited by Hawok79, 25 September 2021 - 02:01 AM.

#600 tingod

• PipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • Leutnant-General
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:07 AM

Bring out the quadrupeds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users