#561 Daneel Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 173 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:35 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 09 June 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

TL;DR: you are defending some of the most awful world-building in sci-fi. We're talking "The Rise of Skywalker" levels of bad.

You are aware that in this universe we send walking robots light years away so they can fight within sight of eachother due to the ares convention agreements (when the IS adheres to them)? I mean, realistically, I seriously doubt it the Ares convention would be adhered to for very long and even if they weren't as long as Comstar was the only one to know... ??? how would you being on some place far removed?
In any case, the clans just take the tenets of the ares conventions to their next logical order of magnitude due to the scant resources during their founding.
Not really in the mood to argue about it or the myriad problems I have with the IS (esp Comstar) but Stackpole summed it up in one of his youtube interviews I watched recently. He said something to the effect of "battletech shouldn't be just about Kai Allard jumping in a mech and blowing everything up". I just about lost it when he said that laughing out loud so hard because that's always my beef with IS lore. Everyone is just SO AWESOME... I love stackpole but... give me f'd up Aidan Pryde, Joanna and Horse any day of the week. Natasha gets a jumpjet to her face. LOL! I f'n love Clan Jade Falcon.

Edit - I wish to say this is not to disparage any BT lore author anything else. We all have our own little niches we like to occupy that are our favorites, of course. All the BT authors are just generally great people to be around period seems like.

Edited by Daneel Hazen, 14 June 2021 - 08:48 AM.

#562 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 04:35 PM

The only mechs we should care about adding are mechs that will have a direct impact on the game and be viable in ALL formats of the game be it QP, FP, or COMP.

I am going to try and convince you that the Clan mech we need is a 75 tonner jump capable mech that combines the two best things about MWO, energy and Ballistics.

First Lets establish some parameters on what we are looking for in a good design
1. Maneuverability (Mechs that can twist off damage or use JJ to mitigate damage)
2. Hard points (Mechs that have good Hard points)
3. Good Hit boxes (does the design lend itself to having decent hit boxes)

I give you the Black Python (Aka Cobra)
1. Maneuverability- First the mech comes stock with a clan xl 375 for a whopping 86kph but it is a Battle mech and as such can be tailor fitted with an engine of your decision. Every variant has Jump Jets. Its also stock endo and ferro as well which is a further cost savings. The mech is clearly designed around good speed and maneuverability and was so respected that a Clan Khan used it as his personal ride for you lore nerds out there.

2. Hard points. I mean the hard points are just ******* there for almost every type of viable clan build out there that involves clan ballistics.
Laservomit- got you
Wub vomit- Got u
Gauss rifles- got u
PPC poptart- got u
Long range- got u
Triple dakka- got u
But beyond that if you look at any of the images it clearly shows the majority of the weapons are in the torso and roughly cockpit level. Which will help the pilots hill peak without popping the hill.
File:White Raven RGilClan v12.png - BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)

File:3055U Black Python.jpg - BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)

https://www.sarna.ne...lack_Python.jpg

Prime-8E, 2B
2-7E, 3B
3-8E, 2B
4-9E

3. Lastly Hit boxes. So Looking at other bird like designs in the game we have good and bad. I wont lie to you this will come down to MWO design team creating decent hit boxes for the mech. But right off the bat based on the photos we have the arms can be used to shield. The mech does have an ECM variant but the majority of the designs are not ECM, which is a good thing. What can i say if the hit boxes are like the crab or the Bushwhacker it will be a decent mech. If the nose is large like the ebon jag it will hurt its effectiveness. Some of that can be offset by basic defensive quirks. but all and all this mech is really more about using maneuverability and firepower to achieve a positive result. And that is clearly the design language for Clan mechs in MWO.

Hope you will review this and push for this design.

Edited by Trashtier, 02 July 2021 - 05:12 PM.

#563 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:08 AM

View PostTrashtier, on 02 July 2021 - 04:35 PM, said:

I give you the Black Python (Aka Cobra)

Uhm... "Viper". Not Cobra. :) But in MWO it will be the "Black Python" so no worries about confusion.

#564 Tywren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:11 PM

Well since the Parana is already out there reeking MG havoc, clearly the time has come. #ReleaseTheKraken (The Dire Wolf UV can already boat 8 AC2's so what's 2 more?)

Also a Stone Rhino would be nice if you have the time.

Edited by Tywren, 08 July 2021 - 05:11 PM.

#565 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 01:52 AM

Just wanted to bring attention to some issues with the mobility changes that have been made... My Jaeger Firebrand now needs a 340 engine to get the same speed that my other 2 jaegers get from a 315 engine. When changing the mobility factors, should be done via the engines not the chassis. Or change the max engines, change engine stats, use quirks, or some combination of the bunch, but right now you're penalizing some mechs, mech that cost MC no less.

#566 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:54 AM

Movement Speed was never touched and is completely dependent on your engine and your skills. A Jager with a 315 engine moves always at the same speed, no matter which variant. Max Speed is always a function of engine rating to max. weight.
Probably for whatever reason you have full speed tweak nodes unlocked for the other Jagers.

#567 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:59 AM

We need the Ost mechs. Someone did a really good take on the Ostscout... let me see if I can find it.

Spoiler

#568 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 296 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:24 AM

The Ost series would be interesting, even tho the Ostroc and Ostsol are pretty much the same mech.

#569 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:31 AM

Isn't the Ostscout basically unarmed, but have sensors to rival telepathy? I wonder how that would fare in MWO... Would it be the only 'mech with 360 radar? Would it come with Seismic by default, with the skill nodes adding radius to that? Or would it be so bloated with extra hardpoints that it'd be another UM-K9?

#570 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 296 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:19 PM

Yes, the original canon Ostscout has one medium laser and otherwise is packed with sensors. So I'd imagine in MWO it would have something like the Cyclops' ability to extend sensor range for the mechs around it, built in TAG and ECM, BAP, seismic, enhanced zoom, and radar dep all included.

#571 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:19 PM

View PostLanzman, on 14 July 2021 - 06:19 PM, said:

Yes, the original canon Ostscout has one medium laser and otherwise is packed with sensors. So I'd imagine in MWO it would have something like the Cyclops' ability to extend sensor range for the mechs around it, built in TAG and ECM, BAP, seismic, enhanced zoom, and radar dep all included.

I'd rather imagine it would come with a sensor range quirk. Because the chassis has no special weighty equipment installed, the sensors array is just fluff and a design quirk. Apart from that it's a 35 tonner with an oversized engine and undersized armament. A fat spider, if you like.

#572 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:36 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 14 July 2021 - 09:19 PM, said:

Apart from that it's a 35 tonner with an oversized engine

Wait, what was its top speed? That right there might answer the question as to whether we'll see it in MWO. PGI has been pretty adamant in stopping just shy of the 10/15 TT Movement profile, so anything that goes those speeds or greater will never see the light of day in MWO. Hence why, 8 years later, we STILL don't have the Firemoth/Dasher, even though it was easily the most common Clan 20 tonner of the invasion.

#573 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 296 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:40 AM

Ostscout had the same top speed as a Locust, plus it could jump. Like a Spider.

#574 IvanIight

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

First finish the clan mechs for the 3050 timeline. There is only one mech missing and I don't see why it shouldn't be added.After that figure out what still needs to be filled out for clan lights and assaults. Checking the ingame store shows that more light mechs could be added since you there are not enough mechs to scroll through the list. I am also putting in under information notable features that I think (Opinion) that make this mech worth adding in game.

Name: Dasher (Fire moth)
Production Year: 2874
Type: Light
Tonnage:20
Variants: Alt config A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,M,P,R,T
Features: High placed arms mountings for laser and missile hard points.
Posted Image

As for IS mechs looking through the list of what could be added. They are well filled game wise that there are very few spots that can still be covered. Most of the mechs I list will be be mostly based on what I would like to see rather than adds something new to the game. There are going to be some exceptions.

The exceptions

Name: Hollander
Production year: 3054
Type: Light
Tonnage: 35
Variants: BZK-G1(replaces guass rifle with LB-X auto cannon 10 and two medium lasers),BZK-G2(light Gauss variant)
Features: Low heat for its weight class due to mounting a gauss rifle in the right torso. No other light mech in game that does this.
Posted Image

Name: Longbow
Production year:2610
Type: Assault
Tonnage: 85
Variants: LGB-OC(2 lrm-20's, 2 medium lasers, and a small laser),LGB-OW(drops medium lasers for bigger engine), LGB-7V(Adds XL engine, removes 2 Lrm-5's, fits artemis, adds case, adds 3 more medium lasers and a ER large laser), LGW-12C(Comes with 2 Lrm-20's, 2 Lrm-15's, 3 ER small lasers and an XL engine), LGW-12R(4 Lrm-15's, ER large laser, ER medium laser, case, 3 jump jets and a light fusion engine)
Posted Image

At this point game technical fixes , updating older mechs, or making the game run smoother should take priority over new mechs and variants. Variants also take away niches that could be filled by a new mech. Adding new content for example new mechs, quadruped mechs, new weapons with draw in new and older players.

Rescale mechs is ok and can't think of anything for mech mobility.

bolts-ons are just cosmetic. Unless you run into technical problems that hurt gameplay don't worry about it.

Qwirks would be useful for allowing older introduced mechs to compete with newer mechs.

The armor for primarily arm weapon mechs could be increased but not to where it breaks the mech and its purpose.

New weapons would be nice to see but if there are weapons that are not registering hits properly those should be fixed.

From looking at omnimechs and how they work it would not be resonable to change how XL engines work for inner sphere. If you make inner sphere XL engines work the same as clans why bring in inner sphere omni mechs. Instead of changing XL engines why not change where the third slot on each side of the torso is stored for IS omni mechs. Instead of putting three engine slots put two or one in the legs. You lose ammo store space and need to have case but will not die if you lose right or left torso. If you put two slots in the legs you can lose both right and left torso without dying unless legged. This does make you unable to switch out leg omnipods.

#575 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 19 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

Look we all know the people who want the Firemoth want it so they can hill-hump in a light. Its always been the only reason, lets not kid ourselves, and lets forget about the Firemoth. I wanna see the Fire Falcon instead. Its essentially a Clan Raven, and has alot of good configs (not to mention it would be the first good looking Clan light....ever).

As far as new mechs vs additional variants. I say why not both. I have a theory about how this could be done. Instead of the old 1 mech a month thing that caused burnout for PGI, how about 1 pack a quarter. So starting in say January, we get a new IS mech with 3 variants plus the hero and champ, then in May with Q2 they give us 2 new mech variants for mechs already in the game, then Q3 we get a new Clan mech, then in Q4 we get 2 more new variants. I figure this gives the team some time to work on mechs between packs as well as rest or contribute to the other parts of the game.

I would also love for the timeline to be bumped to 3073 (we're at 3067 atm) so we can see some later variants of mechs in the game. But what I would love to see is new weapons. From the Clan's, HAGs, Improved heavy lasers, and maybe even Artemis V FCS for launchers? From the IS, Light Autocannons, MML's (ala combined ammo like ATM), NLRMs and maybe Silver Bullet Gauss? Maybe toss Clan RACs in instead of HAGs and Plasma Rifle/Cannon as well if you want. I think these weapons would do well as you don't need to do much to balance them. The HAGs maybe but the rest kinda fall into a set balance bracket already.

If I had to nominate a mech to see btw, I wanna see the grandaddy of all mechs. GIVE ME THE MACKIE!

#576 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,238 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:45 PM

Back to mechs

Firemoth

Locust IIC

Hellhound/Conjurere/Wolverine IIC

Battlemaster IIC (I know it's not exactly cannon but why not?)

Shadow Hawk IIC

Commando IIC

Urbanmech IIC

IIC MECHS!!!

View PostAvalon91211, on 19 July 2021 - 03:07 PM, said:

Look we all know the people who want the Firemoth want it so they can hill-hump in a light. Its always been the only reason, lets not kid ourselves, and lets forget about the Firemoth. I wanna see the Fire Falcon instead. Its essentially a Clan Raven, and has alot of good configs (not to mention it would be the first good looking Clan light....ever).

As far as new mechs vs additional variants. I say why not both. I have a theory about how this could be done. Instead of the old 1 mech a month thing that caused burnout for PGI, how about 1 pack a quarter. So starting in say January, we get a new IS mech with 3 variants plus the hero and champ, then in May with Q2 they give us 2 new mech variants for mechs already in the game, then Q3 we get a new Clan mech, then in Q4 we get 2 more new variants. I figure this gives the team some time to work on mechs between packs as well as rest or contribute to the other parts of the game.

I would also love for the timeline to be bumped to 3073 (we're at 3067 atm) so we can see some later variants of mechs in the game. But what I would love to see is new weapons. From the Clan's, HAGs, Improved heavy lasers, and maybe even Artemis V FCS for launchers? From the IS, Light Autocannons, MML's (ala combined ammo like ATM), NLRMs and maybe Silver Bullet Gauss? Maybe toss Clan RACs in instead of HAGs and Plasma Rifle/Cannon as well if you want. I think these weapons would do well as you don't need to do much to balance them. The HAGs maybe but the rest kinda fall into a set balance bracket already.

If I had to nominate a mech to see btw, I wanna see the grandaddy of all mechs. GIVE ME THE MACKIE!
Improved heavy lasers will do little here very few people will use improved heavy lasers and we already have better heavy lasers than in tabletop in tabletop the heavy lasers drawback was it's interefearence with sensors, the improved heavy laser fixed that at the cost of exploding like a guass rifle... Currently in MWO heavy lasers are better than both, they do decent damage they don't explode they don't cause your aim to go crazy.... I think we already have what are essentially improved MKII heavy lasers... so we can really use anything that has improved heavy lasers

Although i'd prefer the Hag over rotaries, i'd really like both.... but is this the topic to talk about weapons and timeline??

Edited by KursedVixen, 19 July 2021 - 11:45 PM.

#577 Darth Khan

• Pip
  • Sergeant II
  • Sergeant II
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:19 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

• Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)

Reduce agility: Flea, Locust, Piranha...

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

• New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
  • New 'Mech Variants

Hollander
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

Blade
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Blade

Rifleman III
https://www.sarna.ne...ki/Rifleman_III

Malice
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Malice

Deimos
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Deimos

Lament
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lament

Flashman
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flashman

Imp
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Imp

Edited by Darth Khan, 20 July 2021 - 02:21 AM.

#578 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:43 AM

Look we all know the people who want the Firemoth want it so they can hill-hump in a light. Its always been the only reason, lets not kid ourselves,

That's not the "only" reason: In my case, and in the case of a lot of the folks that I've played and grouped with, it's an alternative to the Piranha at 20 tons for putting Faction Play drop decks together. Even more importantly, the Firemoth was THE de-facto scout 'mech for Clan Ghost Bear. The Ghost Bears didn't use the Piranha, nor the Arctic Cheetah, and had a fair few fewer Mist Lynx' than they had Firemoths. In order to more accurately role play as a member of Clan Ghost Bear, we need the Firemoth. The other main reason is the only reason to get more than 30 or 40 'mechs: Pokémech. "Gotta catch 'em all".

I wanna see the Fire Falcon instead. Its essentially a Clan Raven, and has alot of good configs (not to mention it would be the first good looking Clan light....ever).

Now, now: be nice to the Adder. The REAL first good-looking Clan Light. Posted Image Otherwise, yes: the Fire Falcon would be a good addition at 25 tons, and would be an alternative to the Mist Lynx for Clan Jade Falcon drop decks.

This sounds completely reasonable, and along the lines of what the staff at PGI have proposed in the past, right before being pressured into giving us all more, faster. Better to get something at a reasonable pace, than not get anything at all.

I would also love for the timeline to be bumped to 3073 (we're at 3067 atm) so we can see some later variants of mechs in the game. But what I would love to see is new weapons. From the Clan's, HAGs, Improved heavy lasers, and maybe even Artemis V FCS for launchers? From the IS, Light Autocannons, MML's (ala combined ammo like ATM), NLRMs and maybe Silver Bullet Gauss? Maybe toss Clan RACs in instead of HAGs and Plasma Rifle/Cannon as well if you want. I think these weapons would do well as you don't need to do much to balance them. The HAGs maybe but the rest kinda fall into a set balance bracket already. If I had to nominate a mech to see btw, I wanna see the grandaddy of all mechs. GIVE ME THE MACKIE!

On the one hand, I want HAGs because we have a lot of missing variants that are only missing because of that weapon system (going back to Pokémech). On the other hand, power creep is getting so far out of whack that we'll need to think long and hard about how best to implement them.

My own suggestions for new 'mechs to add (though I feel like there should be a "add your own" vote system pinned to the top of this thread, and whenever PGI shuts down the vote, the highest votes win), starting with tonnages that only have a single option:

Firemoth (CL, 20t)
Fire Falcon (CL, 25t)
Mongoose (IS, 25t)
Turkina (CL, 95t)

Other 'mechs that I want for Ghost Bear roleplay:

Kingfisher
Grizzly

Or for reliving the MW4 glory days:

Stone Rhino (Mektek mod)
Longbow

Obviously, insofar as the "Pokémech" concept or fleshing out the universe feel, adding the remaining Unseens and the rest of TRO 3025 is desirable, as is adding Tanks, Aerospace, and Infantry to flesh out the combat experience, even if non-mech assets are only AI controlled. (Wasn't there some concept back in the day about units who got their tag on a planet being able to purchase upgrades for the defense of that planet? Back then it was buying more waves of attack and counter-attack, but it'd be lots of fun if it was buying waves of tanks and aerospace, and it'd give something for units to spend their CB coffers on besides recruitment, but I'm getting off topic for this thread).

IS Omnis are another common request, as they're supposed to have shown up in-universe by now. (What ever did happen to "one-day-at-a-time"? That was honestly going to be the single most amazing thing about MWO, and the single thing that had me absolutely hyped when I heard about it, and it was abandoned before I ever got a new enough computer. That was likely the single worst decision ever made by PGI. It also would have accounted for balancing old weapons against new ones: you don't. "The timeline is progressing, and as it does, technology is improving, leaving older outdated equipment in the dust". We don't use F-4 Phantoms, anymore, even though they were amazing in their heyday).

Edited by C337Skymaster, 20 July 2021 - 03:14 AM.

#579 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:57 AM

I still say we need The Hatchetman and Axeman.

PGI has constantly stated "The current engine can't do melee combat"... which is false as many games using this same engine are melee based games.

For MWO they could simplify melee combat to within 30 meters of range (Cannot activate the weapon outside that range) and would not even require an animation (Though an animation would be nice) and would just register as if you had "Fired" a weapon like any other and would target whatever your crosshair was centered on. Simple. I'm sure there are other melee variants, but these 2 are the ones I loved the most. DO IT!

#580 John Fisherman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:44 PM

Undo mech mobility changes for lights (June 2021 Patch). For Commando increase arms armor.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users