Which Heroes Are Good, And Why?

46 replies to this topic

#41 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 December 2020 - 12:46 AM

View PostGagis, on 19 December 2020 - 12:15 AM, said:

MRM40+MRM20 + UAC20 is slightly better

but I run the same loadout on my Kaiju and the Atlas D, and the atlas is simply better.

Sure? But you know, it's not "sucky", if anything it's best variant for King Crab in my experience. It's best at hill humping, the arms are mostly a liability.

#42 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:00 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 18 December 2020 - 05:04 PM, said:

Not if you build it right.

2x MRM30 + UAC20, it's a brawling beast.

And not a build unique to the Kaiju, if you can build something on-par with free variants then a hero isn't that good. Its in fact terrible, because why pay to make something you could make for free?

Edited by justcallme C L O U D, 19 December 2020 - 03:01 AM.

#43 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:11 AM

View Postjustcallme C L O U D, on 19 December 2020 - 03:00 AM, said:

And not a build unique to the Kaiju, if you can build something on-par with free variants then a hero isn't that good. Its in fact terrible, because why pay to make something you could make for free?

Well, I don't know what to tell you, the guy is asking for heroes, so of course we'll tread on MC or Money, so the "free" issue there is just pointless, irrelevant, it's just a matter of buying it for his own personal reasons. The point of heroes are side-grades, not straight up upgrades. It's not meant to obsolete mechs or variants, it just needs to offer different builds for a mech.

Likewise, 2x MRM30 + UAC20 is not a hard build to do, it consumes only 3 hardpoints and just needs a good amount of weight, you can do it on a pretty good amount of chassis, if not optimal:

Highlander
Atlas
Corsair
Victor
Cyclops
Mauler

The thing with the mechlab is it's built on modularity, so builds will eventually end up the same -- I mean how many mechs could boat 4x SRM6As? So what's stopping anyone from just running ONE CHASSIS for that?

What about the hero Omnis for example? The changeable nature of omnipods that allows you to configure hardpoints makes many of the omnimechs pointless, and so are the heroes that if anything just have a few hardpoint that allows new builds to be made -- builds that could still be done by other mechs. The Esprit De Corps for example, allow two torso gauss rifles, then again a Hunchback IIC can do that. Why buy hero omnis at all?

The answer is either preference which is plenty reasonable, some like optimization, others prefer certain placement of weapons. And the universal answer is people like their custom camo and +30% CB bonus. What matters here is you aren't a deadweight, and you are having fun.

As to "crap", the Kaiju can do serviceable builds on a bit superior hardpoints, that's not crap, that's just OK -- even better considering the other variants limited to the King Crab.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 19 December 2020 - 04:23 AM.

#44 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:15 AM

People usually try to recommend only those heroes that can do some build than the regular variants can't do or are worse at. Sleipnir for example does not have a non-hero Cyclops equivalent and is definitely better than the equivalent Mauler or Fafnir and arguably but not definitely better than the equivalent Annihilator.

This is the same reason why omnimech heroes are usually recommended against, unless they have a unique omnipod that enables some build thats not otherwise available.

Edited by Gagis, 19 December 2020 - 04:16 AM.

#45 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:22 AM

View PostGagis, on 19 December 2020 - 04:15 AM, said:

People usually try to recommend only those heroes that can do some build than the regular variants can't do or are worse at. Sleipnir for example does not have a non-hero Cyclops equivalent and is definitely better than the equivalent Mauler or Fafnir and arguably but not definitely better than the equivalent Annihilator.

This is the same reason why omnimech heroes are usually recommended against, unless they have a unique omnipod that enables some build thats not otherwise available.

False on the analogy between Sleipnir and annihilator. The annihilator has better armor and tonnage, but the sleipnir has unparalleled agility that would definitely out maneuver the annihilator anyday.

I'd say personally the sleipnir is good in a general situation overall, but the annihilator can fulfill roles the sleipnir cannot.

#46 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:53 AM

I'm more of a stealth light mech player so I prefer the pirates bane and grinner for heroes though I do have a cipher for heavy med laser/mg combo backstabbing. Zero interest in the big slow pokey mechs.

#47 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:14 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 December 2020 - 05:25 PM, said:

ilya was good at some point. i remember when it was the only mech that could run 3 ac10s or lb-10s, newtech made it possible to ditch the xl engine and ammo buffs also became a thing. but then that newer victor variant kind of stole its thunder, it can do its job and more. that thing even enables tripple ac20s and you can get it with cbills. i wouldn't really recommend the ilya anymore, but its still a very usable mech.

It's one IS heavy's that can boat there superior AC weapons and its got good quirks. I am running 3xAc5 3xLight PPC on it right now 5 damage pin point up the ***

Edited by SirSmokes, 19 December 2020 - 06:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users