Which Heroes Are Good, And Why?

46 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:49 PM

In many cases, hero mechs are not as optimal as their regular variants. But some seem to be really nice, or allow fun alternative builds. I've seen lots of discussion about different hero mechs scattered around, but not in one place, or necessarily up to date. So, tell me what you know about Heroes. Perhaps rank them in some tiers?

In the case of omni mechs, you usually break quirks anyway, so it seems like there's no downside to running heroes.

Beyond that, from what I've gathered, the Marauder IIC Scorch is regarded well, and so is the Madcat Deathstrike. The Catapult Jester is a fun variant, but I'm not really sure how it fares compared to other IS laser heavies.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

K9 - Most Energy on Urbie - because urbie is tanky light
Black Widow - Most Ballistic on Warhammer - good hitboxes
Kaiju - King Crab arms are more of liability, so having ballistics on torso high-mounts are important.
Top Dog - Most Energy on Thunderbolt
Pakhet - Torso Omni allows most Missile Weapons
Death Strike - MCII with most energy and still have a pair of Ballistic. Popular builds are 6x ERML + 2x GR

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:02 PM

Cat BB and C2 are nice. The C2 can do K2 builds with ac 10\20 and have bonus. BB for more lrm/mrm/srm fun. I have far too many heroes to make a comprehensive list but my top five are:

1. Oxide-the srm mrm bomber with a big alpha.
2. Huggin-best mrm light.
3. Jester-double ams makes money during events and ll/mpls work great as long as you keep track of heat.
4. lct-pb-for the stealth fun. I still like the lct-1e as it get more dps with the spl build.
5. pnt-kk-mpls and max armor make it fun plus the only pnt that doesn't suffer gorilla arm losing 90% of its fire power when the arm gets shot off. Nice ppc speed quirk if you like ppcs.

#4 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:18 PM

Wolfhound Grinner- 5MPL and ECM, fast, okay hitboxes.
Quickdraw IV-4 - MRM60, tanky.
Hellbringer Virago- set of 8 great for ERLL trading. Not as useful in quick play perhaps, but still does laser vomit well

#5 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:04 PM

Don't get the Crab..

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:53 AM

i like the k9, street cleaner, ilya, misery, iv4, cinder, fury, ultraviolet, florentine, lacerator, high roller, purifier, black widow, bandit, maul, sleipnir and boiler. but some of those are fun and others are good, and a couple are the right amount of bad. i could extend that list to the ones where i just like their paintjobs, but i think thats a bit out of the scope for this thread.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 December 2020 - 12:56 AM.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:01 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 December 2020 - 12:53 AM, said:

street cleaner

Street Cleaner ain't that useful unless your maxing the JJ or Maxing it to 210 Engine, and in most cases XL170 works.

Realistically the jump to XL180 is just a matter of 3 less slots and more 0.5t, so a drop to XL170 yields +0.5t at the cost of one more HS, so the XL210 is a big deal if anything.

With 3x Energy and just 2B, it's basically a worse R63 due to less 1B, and if you're building less than 5JJ or XL200, you are better off with the R63.

#8 Dr Wubs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:42 AM

https://grimmechs.is...=general&h=hero

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:42 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 18 December 2020 - 03:01 AM, said:

Street Cleaner ain't that useful unless your maxing the JJ or Maxing it to 210 Engine, and in most cases XL170 works.

Realistically the jump to XL180 is just a matter of 3 less slots and more 0.5t, so a drop to XL170 yields +0.5t at the cost of one more HS, so the XL210 is a big deal if anything.

With 3x Energy and just 2B, it's basically a worse R63 due to less 1B, and if you're building less than 5JJ or XL200, you are better off with the R63.

its on my fun list, i use it as a fast 3xlppc+2lmg poptart. it doesnt do great but its a fun mech. at the end of the day you are in an urbie and urbie op.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 December 2020 - 04:48 AM.

#10 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,422 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:47 AM

If you like to play Clan, the 27 Clan OmniMechs chasis are a blast to have!

1. Get the Hero version of the OmniMech (Timberwolf for example), then mix/match the torso/arms/leg/head to your heart's content! Hero +30% CBills bonus as you well know Posted Image

(Most players do not bother with the Set-of-8 bonuses, unless you like the default mech layout.)

2. For mech chasis layout, quirks & bonuses, I usually refer to these two external websites:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de
http://mech.nav-alpha.com

Ghost Heat info:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

Edited by w0qj, 18 December 2020 - 04:48 AM.

#11 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:39 AM

S L E I P N I R

#12 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:06 AM

Spirit Bear. Objectively the thing is not good and needs a buff. But it is really fun to MASC up on people in QP and one-shot them. I wouldn't bring it to FW or comp (well maybe in a very specific comp scenario?), but it can do some work in QP and it's a lot of fun to dunk on people in it.

PGI, please buff the Spirit Bear.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:19 AM

View PostBrauer, on 18 December 2020 - 06:06 AM, said:

Spirit Bear. Objectively the thing is not good and needs a buff. But it is really fun to MASC up on people in QP and one-shot them. I wouldn't bring it to FW or comp (well maybe in a very specific comp scenario?), but it can do some work in QP and it's a lot of fun to dunk on people in it.

PGI, please buff the Spirit Bear.

Yeah, but It's expensive as hell for poor performance, and you can't change hardpoints too, not unlike hero Omnis.

I grinded through free stuffs for MC, I managed to get Ultraviolet and Deathstrike, and Seipnir -- during Hero Sales, because these are at least useful -- the Dire-Wolf could at least change omnis. I'm still saving up for a Cherbi.

View PostLordNothing, on 18 December 2020 - 04:42 AM, said:

its on my fun list, i use it as a fast 3xlppc+2lmg poptart. it doesnt do great but its a fun mech. at the end of the day you are in an urbie and urbie op.

3x LPPC could work better if it does 6 damage every 3.0s. Would be useful for lights.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 18 December 2020 - 06:34 AM.

#14 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:51 AM

Sleipnir, K9 and IV4 are popular for good reasons. In addition to those, I claim that GHR-MJ is underrated. It has 7 energy hardpoints for acceptable laser vomit but also comes with absolutely massive armour quirks for a 70-tonner.

8 hardpoints, and it'd be OP.

Edited by Gagis, 18 December 2020 - 06:51 AM.

#15 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:19 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 18 December 2020 - 06:19 AM, said:

Yeah, but It's expensive as hell for poor performance, and you can't change hardpoints too, not unlike hero Omnis.

For sure. It shouldn't be high up on the list of heroes to buy unless someone already has all the good ones. It's a "good" hero in that it does something kind of unique and fun. It'd be better if it received some buffs to make it more competitive.

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:02 AM

I think given the state of the game, that one of the best hero mechs is the Jester. Durable and mobile, it excels at Nascar. It has one of the smallest frontal profiles (if not thee smallest) of the heavy mechs. It can run a standard engine build and still be more mobile than most other mechs on the field, or on the flip side, it can run an XL, and because of that profile, still be pretty durable. Dual AMS to pad match score, and honestly gain some survivability given the sheer number of missiles that are spammed these days (I had four matches last night of more than 600 missiles destroyed, of which two were just shy of 900). Despite only 6 hard points it can still be built with a variety of useful builds from a 5LL poker to a 6MPL brawler and everything in between.

#17 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:48 AM

Two good omi hero Esprit De Corps and Revenant and see no one put the Ilya Muromets

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:44 AM

To be honest some of the "good" heroes really aren't that good anymore in today's climate. You really want a 'Mech with the whole package now - quirks, geometry, hardpoint placement and of course speed. E.g. The Deathstrike and especially Scorch suffer hard - DS has absolutely gnarly torso twist speed and pitch range, and the Scorch's profile is craptacular. Plus both are fairly slow. You want something like a Sunspider Vanguard with great profile, mount location, cooldown reduction and speed. The Quickdraw IV-four is also fantastic - mega survivability buffs and missile cooldown reduction plus a decent top speed.

Edited by RickySpanish, 18 December 2020 - 10:45 AM.

#19 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:54 AM

My 2 cents is to look up the giver of any advice you're thinking about following. Then decide whether it's worth your money.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/

#20 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 18 December 2020 - 11:08 AM

View PostNightbird, on 18 December 2020 - 10:54 AM, said:

My 2 cents is to look up the giver of any advice you're thinking about following. Then decide whether it's worth your money.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/

Perhaps, but that assumes there are only a very few ways to be successful in a given mech. In QP, there are too many variables that impact outcome, imo (but then again, I'm in T4 Posted Image ).

Comp and FW are a different matter, again, in my T4 opinion. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 18 December 2020 - 11:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users