76 replies to this topic

#61 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:57 PM

View PostHorseman, on 16 March 2021 - 03:53 PM, said:

Count how many "characters" those games have. MWO has 619 chassis variants (not counting Champions and Specials).
Unless you want less than one percent of that to be viable in the mode, the division system is necessary.
Not at all.

Not every chassis has to be a gladiator.

#62 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 186 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:15 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 22 March 2021 - 10:57 PM, said:

Not every chassis has to be a gladiator.

This is true, but imagine the outcry if someone's favourite yet obscure chassis is left out of the game mode? It would be even worse than all those complaining about separating divisions by weight class!

#63 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:18 AM

View PostRosarius, on 23 March 2021 - 01:15 AM, said:

This is true, but imagine the outcry if someone's favourite yet obscure chassis is left out of the game mode? It would be even worse than all those complaining about separating divisions by weight class!

I dunno the answer.
I just know a my pc crapped out shortly after Solaris released.
I had a blast in Solaris. I just came back and now it's dead, and I'm kinda sad about it.

#64 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:09 PM

In All Days Battletech was a Combined warfare Game ...teh Solaris Theme was never a Big and loved part in the BT Universe , only a Part of a handfull Novels and a RPG ...The Mainfactor of BT was the epic big battle.

#65 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 27 March 2021 - 09:09 PM, said:

In All Days Battletech was a Combined warfare Game ...teh Solaris Theme was never a Big and loved part in the BT Universe , only a Part of a handfull Novels and a RPG ...The Mainfactor of BT was the epic big battle.

Actually Solaris in lore is too focused on 1 v 1 but there have been times when teams played against each other in the same lore, just did not get enough attention due to how writers handled it especially with that one character.

#66 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:45 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 30 December 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

That isn't why I don't play... I don't play because it's either run the exactly perfect meta for the mode and division, or you have a 0% chance of winning versus someone who is. (and you're always going to be pitted against them)

Also, the only people playing Solaris 7 anymore are the people that run those mechs and builds exclusively, and are all too happy to grief-kill anyone they get matched with.

Naah, there's nuances and counters, also your firepower, speed, vulnerabilities and enemy mech capability needs to weigh into your map selection and movement behavior. The mechs don't drive themselves, most people aren't going in there to stand still and let them shoot you.

If they shrunk the seasons to 30 vs 90 days might drum up some extra interest. Also, the multiplier in the first several games is exploitable with empty queues and trial accounts, with low activity likewise that same system is gameable to obtain unobtainable leads on the leaderboard. Season 1 was pretty darn good, thousands of people played, activity almost all hours, then PGI does what PGI does and broke the scoreboard....shame.

#67 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:26 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 03 March 2021 - 06:06 AM, said:

Actually no because I see no way for weapon mounts to be a big deal. Not much ridge peeking and if you try, a smart opponent can force a FtF confrontation eliminating that. Maybe some corner poking but again not much so mount locations are not that important.

Except these just become treated as, "Oh look same tactics with different colors to the terrain," thus not really new.

weapon mounts are MASSIVE, often teaming up with map geometry to determine the winner in closely matched bouts

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 23 March 2021 - 04:18 AM, said:

I dunno the answer.
I just know a my pc crapped out shortly after Solaris released.
I had a blast in Solaris. I just came back and now it's dead, and I'm kinda sad about it.

You can still get matches, you just have to pick your div and do something else for awhile until someone else notices there's a person in queue

#68 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 07:54 AM

Send it all to MW5 for co-op play vs AI. Then pretend you never shoe horned it into MW:O.

#69 Gunda93

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:13 PM

its better to make solaris became lance vs lance, not unit vs unit

#70 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:46 PM

4v4 solaris would do well if there was a match maker. never made much sense that you could drop solo in fp but not solaris 2v2.

though i think when people said solaris would be a good idea, pretty sure they meant mw4 ffa last man standing. if you make a temporary alliance in match so much the better, thats part of the game. i rather enjoyed the way mwll did solaris. 5 mechs battling it out to use the repair bay only for the victor to get headshat while repairing. fun times.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 September 2021 - 06:49 PM.

#71 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:48 PM

Because we wanted 3v3 or free for all. Also too many divisions, the balance is ****** because if you're a brawler you can get sniped from some of the maps and you're hopeless while other maps the sniper has no chance. I personally quit Solaris because the Piranha was in the same division as the Atlas, so if I missed one shot from my Hgauss on his leg, I pretty much lost because he would hug my legs and kill me and I had no recourse.

#72 _Bogo_

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:04 PM

Because you constantly get put up against a medium mech that outclasses you in every way while in your light mech, and have no chance of winning the match.

#73 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:34 AM

View Post_Bogo_, on 17 September 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Because you constantly get put up against a medium mech that outclasses you in every way while in your light mech, and have no chance of winning the match.

Then adapt and switch to a different mech that has a fighting chance (you can check the leaderboards to see what ranking players use). Or polish up your skills in other modes and build up a stable of mechs - I see you've signed up two weeks ago, not to put a too fine point on it but Solaris isn't a very beginner-friendly mode.

Edited by Horseman, 18 September 2021 - 12:42 AM.

#74 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 11 February 2022 - 10:19 AM

got boring when i could win about 95% of matches in my mist lynx G

#75 Fenris Silverfang

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 11:14 AM

Couldn't you possibly just turn solaris into quick arena-style last man standing?.... Get rid of divisions, make the maps ever so slightly bigger to accomodate a 4-8 people free for all. Just like mechwarrior 4 did it.
Perhaps try to emulate a couple maps from it or temporarily use sections of certain existing qm maps so engagements are quicker.

It gets you right into the action and offers an alternative to QM by being ffa, alternatively you could have a teams of 2 mode as well as FFA, but i wouldnt split the matchmaking for it any further.
By getting rid of divisions and putting everyone into the same ffa or 2man mode, you ensure the queues are quick, offer a meaningful alternative to teamgames and rewards should end up being similar to playing qm so long as you manage to dish out some damage and join the carnage.
Depending how it goes and what strategies are considered to strong or meta, you could add c-bill incentives for doing otherwise, such as dropping lighter rather than superheavy.

Additional mechanics like sponsors, ranked seasons and somesuch I'd remove/put on the bench cause you don't wanna spend time on something and overhype it necessarily.
Instead of seasons, I'd rather see something akin to a 'season/battlepass' that would net you rewards and you progress through as you play -any- game mode as a way to catch up on past events you have missed and little goodies on the side.

I feel thats a good way to salvage solaris and the spectacle it could be, what do you think?

Edited by Fenris Silverfang, 15 April 2022 - 11:17 AM.

#76 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 186 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 17 April 2022 - 02:37 PM

View PostFenris Silverfang, on 15 April 2022 - 11:14 AM, said:

Couldn't you possibly just turn solaris into quick arena-style last man standing?.... Get rid of divisions, make the maps ever so slightly bigger to accomodate a 4-8 people free for all. Just like mechwarrior 4 did it.
Perhaps try to emulate a couple maps from it or temporarily use sections of certain existing qm maps so engagements are quicker.

It gets you right into the action and offers an alternative to QM by being ffa, alternatively you could have a teams of 2 mode as well as FFA, but i wouldnt split the matchmaking for it any further.
By getting rid of divisions and putting everyone into the same ffa or 2man mode, you ensure the queues are quick, offer a meaningful alternative to teamgames and rewards should end up being similar to playing qm so long as you manage to dish out some damage and join the carnage.
Depending how it goes and what strategies are considered to strong or meta, you could add c-bill incentives for doing otherwise, such as dropping lighter rather than superheavy.

Additional mechanics like sponsors, ranked seasons and somesuch I'd remove/put on the bench cause you don't wanna spend time on something and overhype it necessarily.
Instead of seasons, I'd rather see something akin to a 'season/battlepass' that would net you rewards and you progress through as you play -any- game mode as a way to catch up on past events you have missed and little goodies on the side.

I feel thats a good way to salvage solaris and the spectacle it could be, what do you think?

The free for all suggestion has been done to death over the years. The fact is MWO was build around being two teams per match and PGI have made it known that they are unable / unwilling to change this.

That aside, free for all gets pretty stale pretty quick with the winner often being the one who manages to hide in a corner the longest. Not convinced? Start a private lobby and see for yourself

The best solution for Solaris that I have seen is to run a season for a month or so and have only one division eligible, but given the mishandling and neglect Solaris has seen I'm not even sure if this will be enough to breathe life into the mode without some big prize

Edited by Rosarius, 17 April 2022 - 02:38 PM.

#77 Drunk Ghost

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 10:26 AM

Cuz it doesn't exist 2022.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users