Griefing

42 replies to this topic

#41 selfish shellfish

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:42 AM

Personally I would say 9 out of 10 matches having a commander makes no difference to the match outcome in quick play. About the only situation where a commander has noticeable effect on match outcome is when a competent group drops with the pugs and leads by example. (Very rare.)

What I have seen plenty of are matches where the commander had no real effect on the match outcome (perhaps even contributed negatively with bad calls) but since the enemy team was even more incompetent the match ended in a close win. This then easily gets attributed to the commander playing a vital role in achieving the victory.

You don't need a commander for everyone to follow each other in the general direction of the enemy team and hit the mouse buttons...

That said I don't mind someone playing a commander. It is usually entertaining to listen. It's only when they start to find faults in their team that it becomes tiresome. But then there's the mute button. And if we are talking about text chat and map commands then those are fairly easy to ignore if they are bad and nobody has time to follow them in the heat of the battle anyway.

#42 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:20 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 11 January 2021 - 04:59 AM, said:

3 different types of black

And Woodland camo which is always half the price or less, take your pick than most other camoes and does a FINE job imo

Oh griefing...nvm

Yeah, but imagine how much griefing is when people see that your mech is painted better than theirs. Personally I like Phantom, he is a cool guy.

About "bad plan is better than no plan". True. Still remember one faction when we were close to defeat and decided to do some crazy split push and jamesbombed00420 wrote: "thats a horrible idea lets do it".

That's the spirit!

We won.

#43 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

PHANT0M23, I played a match with you this weekend.

It sucked.

I'll start by saying that I'm a middle ground player, I'm not great at MWO, but I do okay with a positive K/D & W/L ratio. I looked you up on Jarl's and you are ranked a lot worse than me.

If I don't feel confident enough to take commander role than I don't feel you should be taking that role.

My idea is that everyone should be using coms, but they should keep it short and not presume to be a leader. "Alpha in Echo-six, LB10x Sleipnir" "lance pushing our right flank" "UAV above us Delta-five". Because commands can only be given from the battlegrid anyone who is doing the company commander thing is out of necessity looking at the map instead of piloting their mech. I don't know about you but there are precious few SECONDS in a match when I shouldn't be doing SOMETHING with my mech, either moving, shooting, or twisting.

I think your stats are a reflection on this fact that you have the battlegrid open when you should be piloting your own mech. You waste time worrying about what others are doing instead of doing your best to contribute positively to the match. We lost that Domination match on Frozen City because you ignored the exposed lance on our right flank and insisted people stay in the valley. Me and 3 other players circled right, dropped 6 mechs in the city, but our team lost and I feel that's because you held out in a terrible position with little cover.

Meanwhile the whole time we were getting kills in the city we had to listen to you cajoling us over coms and complaining that people weren't doing what you said to do. It's distracting and annoying.

Finally, on leading people. I've found a LOT more luck phrasing things like "I'm going to line up in Fox-four and wait for them to rotate into us." Suddenly I'm standing on a line with most of the team with me because I said what I AM GOING TO DO without "ordering" anyone on what they should do. The players, knowing what one member of the team is going to do, decide it's a good idea and they'll back me up. Lead by example, not by declaring yourself the best and shouting at others to follow you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users