81 replies to this topic

#41 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:01 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 29 January 2021 - 08:35 AM, said:

Dont want to be rude but I am ignorant of these games you speak of?
And how many is many, ten?
Can you list 10 games that make MWO cost look like peanuts?

Are thoses games more sucessfull, if they are maybe they are worth the money

MWO, not so much imo

I do not know what you are talking about. Are you sure that did not want to quote Anjian?

#42 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:50 AM

View Postmartian, on 29 January 2021 - 08:35 AM, said:

I guess that it could be one of the reasons why MWO has lost about three quarters of its playerbase.

I suppose it depends on how you define it but December total users is about 1/2 of the all time peak for MWO at around 20,000 users for the month
https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Trend has been up for the last year as has new player numbers.

Just to contextualize that the one day users for just the Steam platform for it's top ten games is here
https://store.steamp...clanid=36159789

At the time I post this the top game on Steam for users had 1 Million users in the last 1 day! The 100th most popular game on steam in the last day had 7,000 users in one day.

#43 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:31 AM

MWO lost most of its users around when FP flopped and there were no longer incentives for large units to play together. Its been steady small population ever since.

#44 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

View PostGARION26, on 29 January 2021 - 10:50 AM, said:

I suppose it depends on how you define it but December total users is about 1/2 of the all time peak for MWO at around 20,000 users for the month
https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Trend has been up for the last year as has new player numbers.

Just to contextualize that the one day users for just the Steam platform for it's top ten games is here
https://store.steamp...clanid=36159789

At the time I post this the top game on Steam for users had 1 Million users in the last 1 day! The 100th most popular game on steam in the last day had 7,000 users in one day.

Both charts show a clear trend (click on the thumbnail to see a larger picture).

Posted Image

In 2020 both Spring and Autumn lockdown waves have confined people to their homes, so some of them returned to the MWO.

And of course, there has been that Russ Bullock's attempt on hype-building since October 2020, probably to demonstrate during the negotiations with EG7 that MWO is still not entirely dead.

But those are exceptions from the rule. The trend as a whole goes downhill since 2015.

#45 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:30 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 January 2021 - 09:01 AM, said:

I do not know what you are talking about. Are you sure that did not want to quote Anjian?

Opps how dat happen Posted Image

Sorry was Late

And yes I meant to quote that other poster

#46 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:42 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 January 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

Both charts show a clear trend (click on the thumbnail to see a larger picture).

In 2020 both Spring and Autumn lockdown waves have confined people to their homes, so some of them returned to the MWO.

And of course, there has been that Russ Bullock's attempt on hype-building since October 2020, probably to demonstrate during the negotiations with EG7 that MWO is still not entirely dead.

But those are exceptions from the rule. The trend as a whole goes downhill since 2015.

Appreciate you sharing the data from Steam - but that doesn't include non steam users.

Doesn't Jarl's include all users and therefore is the more reliable source of information of total users?

I only include the general all games steam charts just to remind us what an incredible tiny niche game this is, and for those wondering what other games are more popular - - well really well over 100 at least on steam.

Edited by GARION26, 29 January 2021 - 01:43 PM.

#47 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

View PostGARION26, on 29 January 2021 - 01:42 PM, said:

Appreciate you sharing the data from Steam - but that doesn't include non steam users.

Doesn't Jarl's include all users and therefore is the more reliable source of information of total users?

I only include the general all games steam charts just to remind us what an incredible tiny niche game this is, and for those wondering what other games are more popular - - well really well over 100 at least on steam.

Both graphs show the same trend, do not they?

#48 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

Actually over the last year they look very different.
One shows an increase in total users and new users (the Jarl's list)

The other is flat or downhill overall.

Those are opposite trends.

#49 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

View PostGARION26, on 29 January 2021 - 02:20 PM, said:

And from the perspective of the last few years?

#50 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:26 PM

View PostGARION26, on 29 January 2021 - 02:20 PM, said:

Those new users on Jarls List could also be T1/2 alt accounts, for sight seeing whats it like in T4/5 land

Perhaps steam measures unique players
ie: A steam user may have many MWO alt accounts but only one steam account

Steam doesn't count the alts
but Jarls list does. Posted Image

One steam account and MWO installation can have many MWO alt accounts under it.

Steam measures MWO installations but Jarls measures MWO player accounts, weather alts or not

So in my mind steam is more accurate, as it is less affected by alt accounts as each MWO installation can only have one player actually playing at one time

Doh yes steam does not count standalone clients.

Also with the merge queue and increase in groups in general, alt account usage may rise also for sight seeing/clubbing/farming purposes.

imo

A lot of variables at play, plus corona

Edited by General Solo, 29 January 2021 - 03:35 PM.

#51 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:35 PM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 29 January 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

Those new users on Jarls List could also be T1/2 alt accounts, for sight seeing whats it like in T4/5 land

Perhaps steam measures unique players
ie: A steam user may have many MWO alt accounts but only one steam account

Steam doesn't count the alts
but Jarls list does. Posted Image

One steam account and MWO installation can have many MWO alt accounts under it.

Steam measures MWO installations but Jarls measures MWO player accounts, weather alts or not

So in my mind steam is more accurate, as it is less affected by alt accounts as each MWO installation can only have one player actually playing at one time

Doh yes steam does not count standalone clients.

Jarl's also counts a name changes as a new account.

#52 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:36 PM

There loads of way to get free stuff PGI is pretty generous with give a ways. Stuff is pricey but you get A LOT for free.as well. bigger problem is game doesn't do the best job getting new player in the game and understand how best to play. One first things I tell any new player is learn to pilot your mechs backward never let enemy have your back and run front heavy armor

Edited by SirSmokes, 29 January 2021 - 03:37 PM.

#53 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:52 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 29 January 2021 - 03:36 PM, said:

There loads of way to get free stuff PGI is pretty generous with give a ways. Stuff is pricey but you get A LOT for free.as well. bigger problem is game doesn't do the best job getting new player in the game and understand how best to play. One first things I tell any new player is learn to pilot your mechs backward never let enemy have your back and run front heavy armor

I agree that PGI are very generous with free stuff

And I also agree game doesn't do the best job getting new player in the game and understand how best to play especially given the state of match making

But I'm T1

Maybe in T4 and T5 land match making is good despite groups as the skill delta in those tiers could be smaller than in T1

But I'm guessing as I don't play in that part of town.

Maybe some of its denizens can enlighten us a little.

#54 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 29 January 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

I agree that PGI are very generous with free stuff

And I also agree game doesn't do the best job getting new player in the game and understand how best to play especially given the state of match making

But I'm T1

Maybe in T4 and T5 land match making is good despite groups as the skill delta in those tiers could be smaller than in T1

But I'm guessing as I don't play in that part of town.

Maybe some of its denizens can enlighten us a little.

They need to grow the player base no one can git gud if they stop playing

#55 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

With better player match ups getting guid would not be mandatory to keep playing and enjoying the game.

Its like finding a cantina full of people trying to kill you in the middle of a desert planet

Only you have a AK47 instead of a nerf herders revolving slug thrower and so at least you have a chance at survial

#56 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:15 AM

View Postmartian, on 29 January 2021 - 02:35 PM, said:

And from the perspective of the last few years?

I would suggest you read my post on this page where I linked to the Jarls data and commented on it. If I say total users is about half of the games start I think you can infer overall trend over multiple years

The only way to use name changes and Alt accounts as the explanation rise in total users this year is if for some reason 2020 was the one year where users chose to change their names or launch Alt accounts far more often then they had in the last 8. If you assume that sometimes people change their names and star Alt accounts and they occur no more often in 2020 then before then it’s not going to cause 2020 users to significantly change compared to previous

#57 Dozer6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 139 posts
  • LocationStripping lasers off my Archer to fit 4 more tons of LRM'S

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:43 AM

View Postmartian, on 29 January 2021 - 08:35 AM, said:

I guess that it could be one of the reasons why MWO has lost about three quarters of its playerbase.

Eve is a great game, average player count is between 18,000-40,000 high on weekends.
a lot of the guys in my corp especially the hard core mining guys run 3-4 accounts with 3 toons per account, that's a potential of 12 logins per 1 player.
Eve online numbers are very sketchy.

#58 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:36 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 29 January 2021 - 08:35 AM, said:

Dont want to be rude but I am ignorant of these games you speak of?
And how many is many, ten?
Can you list 10 games that make MWO cost look like peanuts?

Are thoses games more sucessfull, if they are maybe they are worth the money

MWO, not so much imo

Only 10? Open your eyes. This game is peanuts compared to every F2P game as a live service I have seen.

$250 bundle for four ships.
https://www.arcgames...rek-online/news

Some more whale games.

https://sensortower....Android%20apps.

That's $4 million a month, so a year is about $48 million.

That robot you see is going to be put in a low odds, random loot box. You are not going to spend $30 to $50. You will likely spend $200 to $500 or more.

Any game that puts content on a random loot box or gacha will cost you far far more than anything you will spend on MWO.

Despite this, these games thrive because they continue to issue new content and market their game.

Edited by Anjian, 30 January 2021 - 09:51 AM.

#59 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

View PostDekeon, on 10 January 2021 - 04:28 AM, said:

Is the new owners keeping russ or letting him go ?

the deal says they(EG7) will keep people for at least a year

#60 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

The main issue with MWO in my eyes is that MWO has too many shackles/constraints, greatly diminishing MWO gameplay and game design choices.

~MWO must closely follow TT (TableTop) rules, sticking closely "canon" MechWarrior rules/conventions?
~MWO must allow level playing field for F2P (Free To Play) players, as some on this Forum seem to be demanding?

For Star Trek Online (with which I'm more familiar with):
~Star Trek Online is a Star Trek themed game, with some things not so Star Trek, and with ships/items that are more geared towards Pay-To-Win more, especially when compared to MWO.
~Sure, in theory you as a Free-To-Play player can play/achieve the same as a "whale" player in Star Trek Online, but in reality you will have to grind like there's no tomorrow in hopes of catching up (ie: most won't).

- - - - - - - - -
******Therefore for MWO, if it's styled similar to Star Trek Online:
a) Email to inactive players (stopped logging in for 6+ months straight) for ingame reward items if they just login to claim.
Once every 1-2 years, these inactive players can get a free Mech if they would just log in to play xx number of games. (This offer would expire in xx days if unclaimed or email ignored).

b ) Like another fellow Forum player suggested, implement a system of employed "Pilot" to control your mech.
~These "Pilot" come in basic/rare/very_rare/epic quality traits, such as "reduce Ballistic cooldown by 3%", "increase +3% Cool Run", "increase ECM efficiency by +3%", "increase missile lockon by +3%", "easier missile lockon despite ECM +3%" etc.
~In 3 years time after that, MWO can introduce "Pilots" with two such traits, thus rebooting this Pay-To-Win Pilot system!

c) Hero/Special/Loyalty/Champion mechs can have multiple slots for multiple "Elemental" units to fight your enemy! Elemental can have special abilities too, depending on its Rare/Very_Rare/Epic status. For abilities see (b ) above.

d) Weapons can be upgraded to Rare/Very_Rare/Epic with MC!
Gold (or Platinum) bullets for Ballistic and Missiles, with MC!

I know, I can already almost hear some MWO Forum players counter that it's their given "right" to have same level playing field as paid/premium players. Not.

Edited by w0qj, 30 January 2021 - 10:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users