Mechwarrior Online 2021: Maps

2021 maps

269 replies to this topic

#261 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:13 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted this idea yet, but I was thinking that a map as large as Polar Highlands could be divided up into at least five different maps, with only the play-area a limiting factor. In all honesty, the center is used quite frequently for game modes like Domination and skirmish, but the vast majority of the map sees barely any action. [It would be interesting to see what the heat map has to say about this.]

You could create in-game barriers the same way World of Tanks does with a noticeable border and then designate the four corners as a playing 'area'. Even a map sized out to be 60% of what Polar Highlands currently is would be interesting, while also providing for quicker contact with the enemy.

#262 --GameOver23Rus--

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:25 AM

I suggest for Alpine Peaks to add a thick cloud cover at medium altitudes. At the same time, there should be no clouds on the ground and on the tops. It will seriously complicate the task for long-range snipers who are located at high points. They will not be able to shoot from the top of the target that they do not see. For mechs with a short distance, it will be possible to bypass targets in the fog and get much closer before they are detected. This should look great!

#263 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:48 PM

After seeing the great changes to the Canyonlands map, I am compelled to repeat a suggestion I made ages ago in regards to a map revision.

Crimson Straight: Suggested change.

The big mountain that blocks of the right side of the map/right of the pass when viewed from the seashore spawn points could be used as a roof to a large underground warehouse that has access on both sides of the map. (The railroad lines that go under the platform could enter, and there could be roads exiting on the other side.) This could be similar to the warehouse district in solaris VII and/or simply big a big cave with lots of containers, cranes, etc... The point being, existing graphics tools/buildings and templates, could be used to populate the interior of the mountain. Additionally, it would be a good place for a conquest point to be located.

Impetus for the change: Right now, other than the occasional push over the pass, all the fights take place around the side of the tunnel hill. My idea would create a 3rd avenue of approach AND a great place for lights/fast mechs to zoom around, flank, and scout. The tactical problems facing both sides would become greater - and far more interesting, adding to the popularity of the map.

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but the canyon map has really given me hope that some major changes could be made to maps that have built-in opportunities for growth - especially if we can show that it would cost a minimum in map-making assets / costs. The templates for the tracks, buildings, light(illumination) scaffolding (lots in mining moon map) are all there ready to be used! I am guessing the only thing missing in the templates would be a big domed or squared off roof? (Or maybe the solaris warehouse map already has one?)

Cheers

Edited by Peiper, 29 May 2021 - 02:49 PM.

#264 Daneel Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • @ui_title_%s_Rank_7
  • @ui_title_%s_Rank_7
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:08 AM

View PostSeth Kalasa, on 17 November 2020 - 06:24 AM, said:

Give the community an Editor to create maps. It's been discussed and it's really viable idea.
It will help this game A LOT.
I don't like comparison with the Counter-Strike, but one of the cool features there was a lot of community created maps, some of them were crazy, but that was really the thing!

I think this would take a lot of resources but help out the most. It would give people that like the game but aren't super active players something to create and keep them in the mix. After the initial setup (which would likely be extensive I'll admit) the players do most of the work at that point. Also, new maps would bring back the exploration and a fresh look at the game generally. Finally, all the sneaky little places to be are really known to seasoned players. A new player will be like "oh this is the perfect spot to- <BLAM!>"... because vets know the maps and where to look like the back of their hands... so map familiarity becomes a barrier to new players in a way, IMVHO.

Anyhoo.. just a take. Maybe this is an idea for MWO 2 or just too difficult to do right now.

#265 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 02:48 PM

More city maps.

Perhaps a base defense map?

Have hill and forest map.

Moon maps.

ANY new maps.

#266 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:20 AM

View PostJavin, on 08 June 2021 - 02:48 PM, said:

More city maps.

Perhaps a base defense map?

Have hill and forest map.

Moon maps.

ANY new maps.

The invasion maps of Faction play are base defense maps.
No one likes them.
They may work with Drop decks, but that means long matches, respawns, selecting mechs fitting for the map and spawn killing, no one likes that.

PGI could change the Incursion maps to base defense maps (even in 2 variants) by removing one base.
But even after such a change the best way to play that would be to kill all enemies first and cap the base later - same gameplay as Skirmish, Assault, Conquest and Domniation.
So base defense won't work in MWOs quickplay.

Edited by Alreech, 09 June 2021 - 02:46 PM.

#267 Tarzan of Barsoom

Rookie

• @ui_title_%s_Rank_13
  • @ui_title_%s_Rank_13
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:02 PM

Not sure if this has been suggested, but, bring back the old Polar Highlands and rename the new Polar map Polar Colony. Put both into the rotation.

Also, How about giving the current maps different light conditions. So, a daylit Solaris City, a nighttime Canyon, a night time Viridian Bog.

Add different seasons to the existing maps (where appropriate) like was done to Forest Colony, so, a winter Viridian Bog.

#268 Tywren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:26 PM

Make the Faction Play maps available in Quick Play. Think about it, the maps are already done, at most minor changes would be needed to balance for the various game modes.

#269 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 438 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:08 AM

I've said it once and I'll say it again.. We need a lake map. Not just knee deep water like what we have now, but a full on, submerge your entire mech in water, lake.

Special features for the lake would be as long as your mech is fully submerged, you are invisible to sensors, cannot fire into or out out of the water unless at close range, reduced damage and range while submerged.

A map of this type would allow attacking from a concealed location and would be a fun addition to the normal terrain.

Also, A map where you are fighting on the hull of a Jump Ship would be a fun addition I seem to recall one of the old Mechwarrior games having such a map where falling off the Jump Ship was not a good idea (You died) and could also be a feature, in addition to having reduced gravity thus making you be more careful when using jump jets on the map.

#270 HolyGrail101

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:01 AM

Multi-Level Mech factory. Some underground, some inside, some surface with turrets that can be taken over like a the Conquest nodes using the battery power-up system from Incursion mode. Go vertical.

Randomized lance spawn points in one game Mode. Skirmish would be my choice.

Please bring back old Terra Therma for a short time as part of an event.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users