88 replies to this topic

#81 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 884 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 11 August 2021 - 10:16 PM

Wonder about something: IS HPPC... It seems buffed enough but not convinced so far about them and testing one on a Vindicator not proved viable.
Do heavy lightning shooters worth their cost on larger mechs? I mean like on Marauder? Mediums seemingly not the best way to use them - or I am still to crippled gameplay-wise to use them correctly...

Also wonder about CLRM minimal range: Have it or not? IS LRMs have it and done 0 damage within it. Clan version seems to works randomly as sometimes they DO damage while sometimes no... So far I thought they do damage but recent experiences...
You know lately if I use my LRM\PPC boated deck in FP certain players start to hunt me with lights\mediums what is annoying. I thought a Summoner with 3xLRM15 do 45 damage so I stayed and started to brawl with an Urbie but four full alphas were not enough to destroy it's armour... It means missiles did not done their share of damage (end report also stated my damage dealt were low despite the direct hits with locked LRMs).
Same goes for my QP SNV-A. With 4xLRM20 within 100m range the damage is hardly hit the 15-20 dmg value (no AMS present except my SNV's). If CLRM damage got lowered by close range why not mentioned anywhere?

#82 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 884 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:51 AM

Just tinkered about a Solaris city cleaner (I hate that map!):
COR-5R
Well, it is for ~400 metres range or closer, but would not have at all (I hate that Corsair mech!) just were fun to tinkering with it...

#83 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:04 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 11 August 2021 - 10:16 PM, said:

Wonder about something: IS HPPC... It seems buffed enough but not convinced so far about them and testing one on a Vindicator not proved viable.
Do heavy lightning shooters worth their cost on larger mechs?

In my experience they are not bad when used in a pair on heavy 'Mechs.

#84 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 884 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:32 AM

I not so long ago started to test different, not-my-style builds (no lurmer builds), and start to like them seriously.
One is an Archer 5w (originally 2xLRM20 + 2xSRM6) what now runs with 2xMRM40 and hit like hell. This is my humble answer for the freaking love of "pick Solaris city, guys" actions. Wanna play S7 city? Deprave me from my lurming? Got some MRMs, cheers!
The second is my old Vindicator. Now use a HPPC and an MRM30. Pretty tricky because of the weapon placements but like it. Help to learn a few tricks I not knew so far (yes, play well IS the trick).
Also changed my Huntsman's LRM10s to SRM6s and not sorrow the swap (another ER-LL also had a place to install). A bit fragile when jumping but otherwise nice now.

And, an idea...
How sounds a Rifleman 2c with 2xUAC20 + 2xHMG? Range may short but it could deliver some punishment. HMGs are against pesky lights or area cover fire (same like UAC2 or LB2X fire).

#85 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:38 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 22 November 2021 - 02:32 AM, said:

How sounds a Rifleman 2c with 2xUAC20 + 2xHMG? Range may short but it could deliver some punishment. HMGs are against pesky lights or area cover fire (same like UAC2 or LB2X fire).

Are those two HMGs really neccessary?

#86 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 November 2021 - 06:04 AM

2 HMGs are pointless.

#87 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 884 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:13 AM

THX 4 the answers!
So dump HMGs for moar ammo for moar dakka-dakka.

Something else:
Does anyone noted that the UrbanMech's engine is anti-gravitic? I mean -2.5 tons, so equipped on the chassis it decrease the overall tonnage... WTF?!
I think I would dump JJs from my (L) Urbie for a third LPPC. It's nice that it's stealth but 2xLPPCs could not kill serious preys at all. Interesting that the price Javelin (what I won with the Arctic Killcat) also runs with 2xLPPCs (dumped some stuffs for LE + speed) and so far it were decent (for me +200 damage with a light or medium is decent, on my level and skills that is even very good).

#88 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:43 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 26 November 2021 - 10:13 AM, said:

THX 4 the answers!
So dump HMGs for moar ammo for moar dakka-dakka.

Something like that. Posted Image

Something else:
Does anyone noted that the UrbanMech's engine is anti-gravitic? I mean -2.5 tons, so equipped on the chassis it decrease the overall tonnage... WTF?!

Here is the official explanation:

Piranha Games Inc. said:

A new engine has been added to the game to go in the UrbanMech's default loadout. Due to the manner in which we've reconfigured the weight of engines and other items in the 'Mechs, this engine has negative tonnage.
This engine can only be equipped on the UrbanMech.
  • Name: Standard Fusion 60
  • Mass: -2.5 tons
The point is that smaller engine you have, the more external heat sinks you need. So it balances itself out. For example the smallest 60-rated engine requires 8 external heat sinks, i.e. 8 tons. So the required tonnage total is +5,5 tons.

I think I would dump JJs from my (L) Urbie for a third LPPC. It's nice that it's stealth but 2xLPPCs could not kill serious preys at all. Interesting that the price Javelin (what I won with the Arctic Killcat) also runs with 2xLPPCs (dumped some stuffs for LE + speed) and so far it were decent (for me +200 damage with a light or medium is decent, on my level and skills that is even very good).

Do not be afraid to experiment to find out the best loadout for your playstyle.

#89 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:45 PM

PGI did this in order to match the board game rules that MWO was taken from and do it in a less confusing way. I personally think they failed.

Here's what's going on. in the board game, you buy an engine for a mech, you buy a gyro to match it, and the engine comes with 10 integral heat sinks at zero tons. You can fit (engine/25 round down) heat sinks inside the engine, the rest get put in crit slots around the mech.

Well PGI thought that buying a gyro separately and fitting "zero ton heat sinks" outside the engine would be confusing. So instead, they made the weight of the engine include the gyro and then subtract 1 ton for every heat sink less than 10 inside the engine. The weight works out the same, but in the case of really small engines you end up with negative weight and a requirement to purchase heat sinks at 1 ton each to bring you up to 10.

So PGI's funky math accomplishes the same thing as the board game construction rules at the cost of negative weight engines and player rage that they are sometimes REQUIRED to buy extra heat sinks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users