Intel Gathering: Bolt-Ons, Weapons Balance Pass 1, Map Spawn Points

58 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:50 PM

Greetings MechWarriors!

The first new patch of 2021 is LIVE, and we're hard at work on the March update. An essential aspect of the new development of MWO is gathering intel from you, the community, on many topics throughout the coming year. So on that note, it's Intel Gathering time! For starters, we're looking for your input in the following areas (for more details on what we're seeking for each topic, click on the links below):

This is just the beginning of our Intel Gathering this year. Coming soon, we will also be looking for your input on Map Design (updating current maps with current assets for better balance and gameplay) and New 'Mech Chassis (which 'Mechs would you like to see introduced to MWO?). Stay tuned for those posts!

Thank you!
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:53 PM

First nakh.

I have already described the spawning points, which with the merging of the solo and group queues are terrible. But for a common cause, I will find my old message and re-post it into an actual topic.

Thx, PGI!

Edited by Voice of Kerensky, 18 February 2021 - 05:55 PM.

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:46 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 18 February 2021 - 05:29 PM, said:

While we are working closely with organized segments of the community, like the Gulag Discord group, we are also open to your feedback.

What has already been agreed on with the Gulag?

Also, don't make me spin more conspiracies about back room meetings.

Can you post a copy in-thread. Imgur doesn't work for me.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 18 February 2021 - 07:53 PM.

#4 Chillidoge

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUpside-down land

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:09 PM

I don't know who Gulag is, so can't really comment on whether they are the "right" guys to speak to, but the more opinions you get the better your pool of feedback is. So...

Firstly, asking for feedback is a great thing to see, kudos to that guys.

On the bolt-ons, I don't mind either way, I'm sure people will report bugs as they are found for this one.

Weapon balance, I mean, I don't see much reason to mess with the weapons. I think we need more content rather than another attempt at "chasing the dragon" that is balance. My biggest +1 would be to make rocket launchers usable, I will link my steam suggestion on rocket launchers later tonight below.

As for map spawn points, the biggest problem is that lances spawn too far on the left and right sides, generally. This is especially bad on Hibernal Rift, Canyon Network and Tourmaline Desert. Groups just need to spawn together more, and they can decide on their own if they should flank I reckon. If they have already been changed I will do some drops now and write further feedback.

That's my 2c, hope to see more interaction as things progress!

#5 K4I 4LL4RD LI4O

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:33 PM

Spawn Points: HPG Manifold, Frozen City Classic, Tourmaline Dessert. Biggest problem is when you spawn in an assault mech in alpha lance. You are dead on arrival.

Weapons: Heavy Large Laser, Rac 5, Streak SRM, Light Gauss, C er small laser are the most useless in my opinion and need to be reworked.

Rac 2, MRM, ATM, Dual Heavy Gauss are king of the hill and should be slightly adjusted as well.

Lurms need to be adjusted over the board, they are fubar at the moment.

Bolt ons: If it mingels with hit locations or performance, make it fall of. If not let stay on.

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:19 AM

@ PGI — As I personally never have enough time to dive into a bunch of ultra-long threads at the same time, I'm only leaving this one post as a warning, in regard to Balance and MWO continuing to exist. If you fail to keep in mind those who play MWO but have to fight disabilities (particularly physical shaking) which they're afflicted with, then you will permanently lose another chunk of the players. Whatever changes that you decide to make, always consider for people with disabilities as well, otherwise this game could end up losing too much population to continue existing. Also, find ways for people without the ability to have a fast computer to be able to run MWO better than they can now, particularly if you wish to recover previously lost population. :(

EDIT (3 minutes later) ::: That reminds me... One useful suggestion that I can make is to re-expand the Allowed Locking Angle for weapons that have such a mechanic. An expansion of about one degree, maybe two, should be enough to handle this issue. :huh:

~D. V. "not having much time to post, but trying to remind of player population parts that should not be forgotten" Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 19 February 2021 - 02:22 AM.

#7 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:14 AM

Weapons balance, that is EXTREMELY hard to balance because of players preference on using them. Either leave them all like they are now or return to ancient times where clan weapons were OP and Inner's Sphere weapons were just good because they did not have much ghost heat. And also there are other possibilities...Posted Image

[redacted]

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 19 February 2021 - 10:27 AM.

#8 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:39 AM

View PostAlan Hicks, on 19 February 2021 - 03:14 AM, said:

[redacted]

good point !

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 19 February 2021 - 10:28 AM.
quote cleanup

#9 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:09 AM

Not spawn points, but also map related:
Remove Forest Colony (Classic) and Forest Colony Snow (Classic) from the rotation. They are really bad, no amount of changes to spawn points or whatever can get them fixed. For how these play, you could have the spawn points of the teams on top of each other and get about the same bad match on these as you do know.

Bolt-ons: Add the ability to remove these clientside, so I can decide for me that I don't want to see them. It doesn't matter if that is because of performance or if I don't like (most of) them.

#10 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:53 AM

Edited by Ekson Valdez, Today, 07:28 PM.
quote cleanup

I'm just curious...
wasn't Criticism of PGI and MWO OK ???

Or is it that pointing out that: certain of pgi "devs" don't do a "good" job, Toxic behavior by your standards?

"In light of recent events, let's be clear. Dropping in groups is OK. Using LRMs is OK. Criticism of PGI and MWO is OK. Doing all 3 at the same time is OK. Toxic behavior towards other players, and PGI staff, is not OK and will be dealt with accordingly. It is that simple. That is all."

my english is bad so can we at least get your definition of "Toxic" so we can avoid "Toxic" comments, and "Toxic" post removals?
just to avoid future misunderstanding...
ty

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:18 PM

View PostZ Paradox, on 19 February 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

my english is bad so can we at least get your definition of "Toxic" so we can avoid "Toxic" comments, and "Toxic" post removals?
just to avoid future misunderstanding...
ty

You've been around long enough, you should know my now. Take it to PM.

#12 Ahh Screw it - WATCH THIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:23 PM

How are changes going to be measurable if the matchmaker still has the sense of humor to put all the comp players on one team?

#13 Major Spongebob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 128 posts
  • LocationB/W

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:29 PM

this is a fake pfffffffffft

#14 Jade4161

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:42 PM

more clan mechs

#15 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:56 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 19 February 2021 - 12:18 PM, said:

You've been around long enough, you should know my now. Take it to PM.

problem is that PGI post:

"In light of recent events, let's be clear. Dropping in groups is OK. Using LRMs is OK. Criticism of PGI and MWO is OK. Doing all 3 at the same time is OK. Toxic behavior towards other players, and PGI staff, is not OK and will be dealt with accordingly. It

and when you some Criticism of PGI

you get:

As per the Code of Conduct, it is forbidden to purposefully cause disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making nonconstructive or off-topic responses, or insulting other players/staff. Your post has been moderated.

Please help us make the forums a positive experience by contributing to discussions in a constructive way.

in your PM

#16 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:55 PM

Guy got banned for being an *** and breaking TOS.

Deal with it, Z.

PGI has the right to ban him. And if you're trying to claim "First Amendment," I should remind you that a ) PGI is a Canadian Company, and that b ) that First Amendment rights don't EXIST online, you only have the rights you're given by the Server/Provider, so PGI is well within their rights to permanently ban someone if they so choose.

There is no such thing as "Cancel Culture" btw. Anyone who claims that usually believes they have a god-given right to be a jerk-***, and whine when they're called to account for that and pay for it. Doesn't matter who you are.

Also, you probably need to learn the difference between Criticism and CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism.

Edited by Arkhangel, 19 February 2021 - 01:59 PM.

#17 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:28 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 19 February 2021 - 01:55 PM, said:

Also, you probably need to learn the difference between Criticism and CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism.

so it is: tell us opinion for improvement just don't be honest with it ? we want to make game beter, dont point out our mestakes? or something like that?...

I get it now

#18 TK Romero

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:17 PM

'Hey Community! Tell us your thoughts on these 3 topics so we can start looking a little deeper into seeing if we can create a solution that is for the most part agreeable!'

Topic devolves in less than 20 posts. Lets stay on topic and whatever the grindy gears are at the moment keep it to DMs please.

I don't play the game enough to be competitive, so the weapon balance part I feel would be best for the people who do understand the mechanics and why.

I like that bolt-on's stay on now instead of being knocked up easily by bumping into a wall. I respect the competitive side of things to address faking or covering a hardpoint to that degree.

Map spawn points? Again not competitive enough to know the why's. It's simple to me, if I choose to drive a slow mech I have to do what I can to keep up. I do like the comment to bunch up the team and then decide how to fan out. I've had good chuckles spawning with three light mechs in a slow 100 ton mech.

#19 Stitchedup

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 133 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:26 AM

Personally I think the weapons are fine, only the spawn points in CW need a tweak(probably to help form up faster) all I want is the removal of the engine De-sync

#20 SATAN 666

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:01 AM

Make assaults usful, more weapons to carrie , twice as much armor .
Why does a laser pointer have to weigh 1 ton? and it goes only 700m, what stupid physics is that??Make it installed by default on every mech without additional weight.
Machine gun weights aren*t realistic either , it weights as much as an medieval cannon with a lower range.

Heavy gauss is totally ok, you should rather fix the light gauss ,it s weight is unacceptable high.

The maps should look like in faction so the people do not always use same tactics- rotate counter clockwise.
You lose all your assaults that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users