Good Mech For Ppcs?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky The Magnificent

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:27 AM

I noticed I don't have any mechs that use PPCs, so I would like to get one that specializes in them.

Any suggestions considering the recent rebalance?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:58 AM

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 21 April 2021 - 11:27 AM, said:

Any suggestions considering the recent rebalance?

Inner Sphere or Clan?

Weight class?

#3 Lucky The Magnificent

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

I'm ok with whatever I am just looking for something particularly good at using PPCs

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:21 AM

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 21 April 2021 - 12:57 PM, said:

I'm ok with whatever I am just looking for something particularly good at using PPCs

Well, any 'Mech with one or two energy hardpoints can be armed with some kind of PPCs, but I would like to mention one or two more common builds:

Shadow Cat
A very popular sniping 'Mech armed with twin Clan ER PPCs and equipped with Clan ECM suite.
You are lucky since this exact Shadow Cat serves as the currently available Trial 'Mech, so you can test it for free, without having to spend money on it.

Vapor Eagle
Another (in)famous jump-sniping 'Mech, this time carrying three Clan ER PCs.
VGL-1

Huntsman
Versatile OmniMech with a pair of shoulder-mounted Clan ER PPCs. Since it is an OmniMech, you can use different OmniPods to completely rework its loadout, once the jump-sniping gets old.
HMN-PRIME

Nova
An old OmniMech, but you see jump-sniping it with twin ER PPCs from time to time.

Posted Image

The Inner Sphere has a lot of PPC 'Mechs too: Awesome with three Heavy PPCs, Fafnir, etc.

Edited by martian, 22 April 2021 - 04:30 AM.

#5 Lucky The Magnificent

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:01 AM

I did try the Shadow Cat. I like the combination of ECM and range.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 22 April 2021 - 07:01 AM, said:

I did try the Shadow Cat.

Those PPC 'Mechs have their pros and cons.

Often they are hot running, if pushed too hard, especially on some hot maps. However, this can be mitigated by unlocking additional cooling nodes.

The Shadow Cat is good for sniping, but relatively fragile. Of course, there are durability nodes that can be unlocked.

The Vapor Eagle and the Huntsman have ER PPCs in side torsos, so sometimes they have problems with targeting enemy 'Mechs that are too high or too low.

The Nova can carry ER PPCs either in side torsos or in arms, that's upon the player.

View PostLucky The Magnificent, on 22 April 2021 - 07:01 AM, said:

I like the combination of ECM and range.

There are many other IS and Clan 'Mechs of all weight classes, sometimes with ECM - just two days ago PGI added a new ECM-capable heavy 'Mech (the Thunderbolt) with a small PPC quirk.

#7 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:26 AM

You may think it is crazy, but: Executioner.
Swap omnipods to equip 4(!) ER-PPCs. Group them 2-2 and go! A beast. If you not use heat override it could survive 2-3 alphas. I use such an Executioner now and it ROCKS!!!

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:40 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 22 April 2021 - 07:26 AM, said:

You may think it is crazy, but: Executioner.
Swap omnipods to equip 4(!) ER-PPCs. Group them 2-2 and go! A beast. If you not use heat override it could survive 2-3 alphas. I use such an Executioner now and it ROCKS!!!

Obviously you are satisfied with your purchase. Posted Image

#9 GunRaptor

• PipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2022 - 02:24 PM

For IS, you should consider a couple with the HSL +1 quirk.

For Lights, consider the Hero Panther Katana Kat (PNT-KK). Four LPPCs on a light mech is surprisingly powerful, even if it lacks ECM.

For Mediums, an underutilized option is the Phoenix Hawk 1B (PXH-1B). It has ECM, HSL +1 for LPPC, and can carry a pair of machineguns for close combat. I saw someone pull off an Ace of Spades with one recently, which is why I started running it.

Another Medium option is the Assassin. There are only two ECM carrying versions, the hero DarkDeath (ASN-DD) and the Assassin 27 (ASN-27). On the DD, you can only carry one PPC (I use a LPPC), but you can pair it with an autocannon (I prefer the AC2 as it's basically a "free" RAC-2) and it comes out as a great long range skirmisher which can take or leave Stealth armor. The 27 can carry two LPPCs in the arm well, and serves a similar role, though due to the extra heat, I choose not to use Stealth armor on it. Both can bring a pair of SRM2s or SRM4s depending on how scared of lights you are, and how much speed you care to sacrifice. The ASN is actually my favorite mech, and I particularly love the DD due to it being a stealthy Assassin mixed with the loadout of a Clint...which we sadly lack in this game.

The obvious IS Heavy to run with PPCs (or ERPPCs, preferably) is the Catapult K2 (CPLT-K2). It can carry a wide mix of PPCs, be them LPPCs, ERPPCs, PPCs, or SNPPCs, and gets a (iirc) whopping 20% PPC Velocity quirk, which makes them feel ALMOST hitscan. It can even carry a couple ballistics in the torso, IIRC. For IS, I can't think of a Heavy that does PPCs better.

I know there are several good Assault PPC-carrying options for IS, but I don't know them off hand. Someone else mentioned a few, so go with that and experiment in the store using the Testing Grounds to see if anything captures your attention.

I hope this helped!

#10 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 April 2022 - 10:51 PM

You can also goto MechDB and search for quirks:

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechs

Bottom-left corner in [Quirks], type in:
"PPC" ==> shows all PPC quirks and filters which mechs have these quirks
eg: +1 HSL PPC family. or +PPC Velocity, or -PPC heat.

Less obvious, also search for:
"heat" ==> -10% Heat Gen
or -10% ERPPC Heat Gen

Also, search for:
"cooldown" ==> -10% Cooldown
or -10% ERPPC Cooldown

eg: Awesome AWS-9M which has all of above quirks ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users