Do The Bullshark

25 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

Spoiler

Much of the work is already done by HBS.

Posted Image

Edited by The6thMessenger, 29 April 2021 - 06:54 AM.

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:04 PM

So its like a mauler with even worse hitboxes?

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:09 PM

View PostJohn Bronco, on 28 April 2021 - 10:04 PM, said:

So its like a mauler with even worse hitboxes?

More like an IS MadCat-II

#4 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:05 AM

Why would I want a Viking with crap hitboxes?

#5 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:32 AM

The6thMessenger said:

Release the Bull Shark, much of the work is already done, it just needs to be integrated in MWO.

So you're asking for the release of a mech which's main optical and tactical specialty - the thumper artillery cannon (visually on the back center torso but rule wise mounted on the right torso) - would have to be left out due to the weapon itself and its hitbox ramifications?

The6thMessenger said:

I tried my best with the variants, to be close to lore as possible. It's basically an IS Mad-Cat MKII.

~hmmm~ Ditching the orginal ballistic weapons LBX-10 and UAC-5 in both arms in favor of two UAC-10 on the primary version in order to compensate for the missing thumper doesn't really strike me as a best effort attempt of staying close to the lore this mech has. I would have expected a missile hardpoint with a large LRM launcher on the right torso instead. ~shrug~

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:17 AM

With the thumper it’s a hilarious mech. Every time I fired it in the game, I couldn’t help but say “This is bull-sh ... ark! [boom]”

Glorious.

But as an option in MWO, what’s it going to do? 7 tons for extra artillery strikes? That would get annoying fast. And without that weapon... it’s just a cool looking mech with lousy hitboxes... something the other game didn’t care about.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:27 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 29 April 2021 - 03:32 AM, said:

So you're asking for the release of a mech which's main optical and tactical specialty - the thumper artillery cannon (visually on the back center torso but rule wise mounted on the right torso) - would have to be left out due to the weapon itself and its hitbox ramifications?

Yes. Because we don't have a damn thumper. And wiki says there's only like 1 variant.

~hmmm~ Ditching the orginal ballistic weapons LBX-10 and UAC-5 in both arms in favor of two UAC-10 on the primary version in order to compensate for the missing thumper doesn't really strike me as a best effort attempt of staying close to the lore this mech has. I would have expected a missile hardpoint with a large LRM launcher on the right torso instead. ~shrug~

Fine, gimme a moment.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 29 April 2021 - 07:05 AM.

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:06 AM

Fine, here you go:

The Bull-Shark is a stolen prototype of the Clan Wolverine, turned down in favor of the Mad-Cat MK2, it is initially made with Clan-Tech but later used the more common technology of the Inner Sphere. While a formidable opponent to the Mad-Cat MKII, models are known to run quite hot.

Bull Shark A
Spoiler

Bull Shark B
Spoiler

Bull Shark C
Spoiler

Bull Shark 1
Spoiler

Bull Shark 2
Spoiler

Bull Shark 3
Spoiler

Bull Shark Castle Bravo
Spoiler

Edited by The6thMessenger, 29 April 2021 - 07:25 AM.

#9 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

So still no (primary) variant that has (at least) 2 ballistic slots per arm, a right torso with 2 energy slots and 1 missile slot (as closest replacement for a thumper within the available spectrum that MWO currently provides) and 2 energy slots on the left torso. I guess we have vastly different understandings of "best effort attempt of staying close to the lore" ... and I'm still a bit at a loss as to why MWO would "need" that particular mech and your variants:

Its main visually and tactically distinctive feature would still be left out and just because the PGI models were reasonably well up-streamed to HBS' Battletech that doesn't by default mean that a back-port from there to MWO is just as easy.

But then again, even those variants of yours would find at least one buyer, wouldn't they?

#10 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

What's the cannon on the back? That design feature looks out of BT and into BoT as in Battle of Titans.

#11 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:59 AM

View PostAnjian, on 29 April 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

What's the cannon on the back? That design feature looks out of BT and into BoT as in Battle of Titans.

By the non-canon lore of that mech (HBS Battletech is only partially considered to be part of the official BT canon) it's a thumper artillery cannon. As such this weapon currently cannot be simulated in MWO because MWO simply doesn't have any of the canoncially mech mounted thumpers (or other explicitly "artillery" categorized weapons).

As for this looking "out of BT and into BoT"? I don't see that much difference there when compared to let's say the infamous "small" pulse on the Behemoth / Stone Rhino or self-created mechs that are designed in accordance to the more advanced BT design / construction rules when using stuff like the "BattleMech Turret" on the head or the shoulder (left or right torso)

Edited by Der Geisterbaer, 29 April 2021 - 08:04 AM.

#12 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:55 AM

I'd be all for it cause its cool.

Some people lose sight of that.

#13 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:06 AM

Don't use LRMs and hitboxes should be fine w/o those shoulder pods, just like the MCII.

#14 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:09 AM

Eh, I would only accept it if it didn't step on the toes of other mech releases...

AKA Hauptmann, Kingfisher, Turkina, Raptor, Blackhawk KU, Men Shen, Black Python, Dragon Fire, Shadowhawk IIC and Locust IIC.

#15 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:04 AM

I would agree that losing the back cannon and the shoulder pads in order to reduce the hitboxes would make the mech lose its character and it won't be much different from another generic bipedal assault. It is simply designed for a different game, after all.

#16 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:22 AM

I like to theory build. Let's see...I was able to set up An XL285, thumper with ammo, uac2x2,ac2,4mpl with endo. 18.5 tons armor, 0 slots but it is tt legal, so you just need a 3k range ac20 with pre patch velocity to simulate the artillery fire, and some way to split the cannon crits. How you plop in other weapons would be your own issue.

Just have the cannon model eject ammo at a 45 degree angle so the shells are hard to aim close up but designed to go far far far

#17 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:25 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 29 April 2021 - 09:09 AM, said:

Eh, I would only accept it if it didn't step on the toes of other mech releases...

AKA Hauptmann, Kingfisher, Turkina, Raptor, Blackhawk KU, Men Shen, Black Python, Dragon Fire, Shadowhawk IIC and Locust IIC.

You forgot "Crusader". Just saying. Posted Image

#18 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 29 April 2021 - 04:27 AM, said:

Yes. Because we don't have a damn thumper. And wiki says there's only like 1 variant.

PGI could do something unique with the thumper to compensate for it. Make it like an extra artillery consumable since it is basically a mortar. Not really sure how that would go over with the community but it's an idea at least.

If we are on the topic of new mechs then we are way overdue for the Firemoth. Other mechs like the Grendel would be a great asset for the clans and would be a mech I would consider shelling out money for. On the IS side of things I'd consider putting out money for the Toyama (if they did the variations right) and the Crusader.

With this whole new Cauldron thing, I'd really like to see if there are talented members of the community that could theoretically make new mechs and weapon systems and present them to PGI. Not so long ago I did remember a video of a functioning clan HAG that someone modded into MW:O.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 29 April 2021 - 12:39 PM.

#19 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

Hmmmm... Here's an idea I thought up to implement mortars and the artillery systems that would be unique and should work without extra programming, hopefully comparable with existing xml.
Mortars and artillery would fire at roughly 45° angles, with optimal range being where the shells land.
So 600m optimal =mortar/artillery shells lobbed hit 590 +/-10m away. Arrow IV would fire a jumbo missile the the same way, with its impact being the optimal +/-10m, but substantially more hp vs ams. This fire style would override LOS to avoid firing aoe into your own face. no locks needed, though allied locks would just help you gauge where the old or is in relation to where your missile/mortar/artillery would land.

Edited by Alex Morgaine, 29 April 2021 - 01:06 PM.

#20 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:51 PM

How about we fix what we have rather than introduce ANOTHER thing that WON'T work PROPERLY PGI.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users