140% Population Increase Since Feb 2020

172 replies to this topic

#161 Vercors

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:56 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 June 2021 - 12:16 AM, said:

You would be very, very limited in that view.

Units, Streamers and even just the more casual players - like to group and play with their friends - not a random "assigning" of them on varying teams.

If a game did that - I'd simply stop playing it. I don't group up to be split up - that is just pants on head Posted Image

Then there is the option i speak about in the rest of my post (the part you don't quote). You will not have to split and grouped players who don't mind about that or can do with that will be happy with solo players.

Edited by Vercors, 01 June 2021 - 01:03 AM.

#162 RJF Volkodav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:58 AM

Other games use dynamic players count for better matchmaking. MWO could use it for sure too. If you have enough people in Q to form 12v12 go with it. If there are not enough players to form balanced 12v12 go down to 11v11, 10v10 ... 8v8. Using this to reduce wait times could allow to separate different level players better, do better matchmaking.

#163 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:20 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 02 May 2021 - 01:47 AM, said:

Just to be a contrarian, I'm enjoying it significantly less than ever. I'm not precisely sure why but I'm doing much less damage, dying much faster, and rarely ever being on a winning side. Apart from using snub PPCs a bit more I've not changed what I'm doing. It's very frustrating and I can't work it out. WTF, Cauldron, FIX IT!!!!

That sounds more a symptom of fighting the murder kill groups that frequent our time as a filthy pug :P

#164 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:39 AM

View PostVercors, on 01 June 2021 - 12:56 AM, said:

Then there is the option i speak about in the rest of my post (the part you don't quote). You will not have to split and grouped players who don't mind about that or can do with that will be happy with solo players.

Why would I quote something if it didn't have relevance to what I was saying?

#165 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,487 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:55 AM

Jarl's List for May'2021 active players is out, healthy trend, going up :)

http://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

#166 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:08 PM

View Postw0qj, on 01 June 2021 - 11:55 AM, said:

Jarl's List for May'2021 active players is out, healthy trend, going up Posted Image

http://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Ugh, my stats are so bad now...

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#167 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:15 PM

Returning player for MW5 hype. I'll once again be staying for as long as it interests me and time allows. There's only so many times I can queue for an arena tdm.

#168 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:39 PM

View PostMoldur, on 01 June 2021 - 12:15 PM, said:

There's only so many times I can queue for an arena tdm.

This is kinda my zone. I looked at my stats a week ago and distinctly recall thinking "Hm. I should play some more matches to bring this up." But I didn't. 100 games a month is about as much as I can stand of the same TDM ad nauseum.

We need FP back and for the love of Blake we need respawns in QP for game modes to matter.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 01 June 2021 - 12:39 PM.

#169 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 01:25 PM

I agree there should be respawns in quickplay

tonnage limited dropdecks would help make lights and mediums matter more too

#170 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:32 PM

If they put respawns into QP, they would need to do simplified drop decks.
One of each weight class.
There is enough Champion mechs available for new players to make a drop deck then.
Bonus:
Playing a mech that is at the bottom of a weight class gives you the ability to bump up a different weight class by ten tons.
Example:
I don't like to play lights. I put my Gargoyle in my assault slot, now i can bump my light mech slot up to 45 tons.
OR
I don't like to play heavies. I drop in a Flea, or a Cicada, and now i can bump my heavy slot up to 85 tons.

This gives a little flexability without letting people run two Fleas so they can drop in two King Crabs. Maybe this doesn;t sound bad, but seeing as removing premades from solo matchmaker is not on PGI's radar, a 4 man could game a more flexable system HARD. By only allowing some minor movement to the standard four weight classes, a lot of that gets kept in check.

On a side note, I really enjoyed faction play. It's too bad they designed the system to only function properly with like 10,000 players in the matchmaker pool. Kinda wish they would redesign it to allow smaller teams or something so it would be viable. I think the talk of respawns in QP is a result of this failure in FP.

#171 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:52 PM

View PostZordicron, on 02 June 2021 - 07:32 PM, said:

One of each weight class.
There is enough Champion mechs available for new players to make a drop deck then.
Bonus:
Playing a mech that is at the bottom of a weight class gives you the ability to bump up a different weight class by ten tons.
Example:
I don't like to play lights. I put my Gargoyle in my assault slot, now i can bump my light mech slot up to 45 tons.
OR
I don't like to play heavies. I drop in a Flea, or a Cicada, and now i can bump my heavy slot up to 85 tons.

This gives a little flexability without letting people run two Fleas so they can drop in two King Crabs. Maybe this doesn;t sound bad, but seeing as removing premades from solo matchmaker is not on PGI's radar, a 4 man could game a more flexable system HARD. By only allowing some minor movement to the standard four weight classes, a lot of that gets kept in check.

On a side note, I really enjoyed faction play. It's too bad they designed the system to only function properly with like 10,000 players in the matchmaker pool. Kinda wish they would redesign it to allow smaller teams or something so it would be viable. I think the talk of respawns in QP is a result of this failure in FP.

It would incentive people to try different weight classes.

Personally if someone wants to run two Fleas and be forced to drop two KCs later that should be his tactical choice and should be ready to reap the blow back of it.

The problem of FP is that its an asymmetrical mode. One side defend one side attacks.

It becomes a different matter when the mode is symmetrical, with both sides attack and defending against contending capture points.

#172 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:53 PM

Which happens more often'n not in Faction nowadays.

~Leone.

#173 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:20 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 June 2021 - 12:16 AM, said:

You would be very, very limited in that view.

Units, Streamers and even just the more casual players - like to group and play with their friends - not a random "assigning" of them on varying teams.

If a game did that - I'd simply stop playing it. I don't group up to be split up - that is just pants on head Posted Image

If you wont play without your friends then the only real solution is two different queues. Because solos dont want groups in solo queue. Solos dont care what groups do outside of solo queue as long as theyre not doing it in solo queue.

View PostAnjian, on 02 June 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

The problem of FP is that its an asymmetrical mode. One side defend one side attacks.

I dont think thats a problem because you know who the attacker and defender are ahead of time and can plan accordingly.

The biggest problem I had with FP is the teams were never balanced. The asymmetry of the map had very little to do with one team having an advantage. One team was always just better than the other team. To the point where the other team got completely rolled or even worse spawn camped.

not necessarily. they could do ticket based respawns. and let you choose any trial mech or mech you own to respawn in.

each team would get so many tickets for respawns and when you respawn your team loses tickets equal to the tonnage of the mech you respawned in (with a possible +/- adjustment depending on if the mech is too good or bad for its tonnage). And youd need some kindve timer limit or hard limit on number of respawns to prevent someone from just dying over and over and using up all their team's tickets.

they could have objectives like in conquest except the captured objectives would bleed tickets from the the other team. that way holding objectives would force the game to its conclusion. the team that runs out of tickets first would lose. Each of the objectives could also provide some kindve tactical bonus to your entire team as long as your team controls it. like comm relays, sat uplinks, airfields, orbital guns, etc...

they could also have mech repair bays that could repair mechs for half the mech's ticket cost (the tickets charged would be based on how damaged the mech is upto half the ticket cost). which would still be preferable to the mech being destroyed completely. by making mech repairs cost tickets that would prevent repairs from being overpowered.

MWO could have way better gamemodes if PGI actually put the effort into it. We dont have a truly epic gamemode for MWO and thats part of the problem. All we have is a bunch of lame beta tester gamemodes that feel really unpolished and awful on a bunch of maps that are too small for 12v12.

Edited by Khobai, 03 June 2021 - 12:47 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users