Grand Dragon Needs A Name Change

127 replies to this topic

#21 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWhy are we here? Just to suffer?

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:44 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 16 May 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

https://en.wikipedia..._and_vocabulary

PGI needs to remove KKK references from this game.

I'm tired of seeing a reference to racist POS's every time I press R.

By putting the Grand Dragon into MWO, PGI has made clear what kind of player they want.

I at least am done spending money on MWO until the Grand Dragon has been renamed. I don't care what the name is, I don't care if this is Lore-Friendly or not or whatever, it's racist and it has to go.

How about you grow a pair, or thicken your skin, and not be a little snowflake that gets offended by every little thing that looks like another thing that might relate to something offensive?

View PostJables McBarty, on 16 May 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

And I'm likely to stop playing. It's exhausting to see this crap, and it makes the game less fun.

Buhbye.

Edited by YouKnowNothing, 16 May 2021 - 09:47 AM.

#22 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:55 AM

I suppose your against slave labour and child labour, hence why you clearly use technology made by healthy working adults in pristine conditions with excellent work ethics and rights.

Too be fair the fact that name makes you think of the KKK says more about you than it does about anyone else.

How sad.

Edited by Storming Angel, 16 May 2021 - 09:55 AM.

#23 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:59 AM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 16 May 2021 - 09:44 AM, said:

How about you grow a pair, or thicken your skin, and not be a little snowflake that gets offended by every little thing that looks like another thing that might relate to something offensive?

[b]

Buhbye.

You know what? I don't think he deserves the abuse. Provided, of course, he's sincere. If it's just a troll post, well, sure, drop a bar of soap into a sock and go to town on the fool.

Assuming he's sincere, he saw something that he thought was wrong, did something he hoped would draw attention to hit, and said he was voting with his wallet. What's wrong with that? How is that any different from all of the posts of players that whined that their wallets were closed until PGI did something they wanted them to do? Because other than the source of the discontent, I'm not seeing a difference.

Now, do I think his gripe is based upon an accurate assessment of the situation? Oh, hell, no. Maybe it's simple ignorance, which can be remedied with information (especially if you don't attack him for it). Maybe he's just straight up stupid, which isn't illegal, nor immoral. Frustrating, sure. I get that. That's why it took me a long time to realize that stupid people aren't bad, they're just stupid. I was kept from that realization because I was too focused on my frustration at dealing with them. I've met brilliant people that wouldn't lift a finger to help anyone, and I've met people that are dumb as bricks that would rush into a burning building to save complete strangers (a guy I went to BCT with that was a reserve firefighter comes to mind; good man, dumb as a post). I gotta' say, I'd rather deal with the frustration of 10 well meaning idiots than 1 brilliant person that can't be worked with at all because he's always looking for an angle.

So, yeah, guys, try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Assume he means well, but doesn't know any better.

Also, b!&@$ing about virtue signaling is itself a form of virtue signaling. Cut the crap.

Edited by Escef, 16 May 2021 - 07:57 PM.

#24 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:59 AM

This is the most pointless thread ever.

#25 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:34 AM

Oh wait I've been looking at this totally wrong.Posted Image
All Clan mech must go!Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 16 May 2021 - 11:18 AM.

#26 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:41 AM

Holy virtue signaling, Batman!

Yeah, it's definitely a reference to the Klan and not the fact that Shiro Kurita was a massive weeaboo who hammered every bit of Japanese iconography he could think of into the Combine's early culture.

#27 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:46 AM

#28 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:49 AM

Lotta hoods coming off in this thread.

Very sad to see the state of the MWO community these days, especially when HareBrained Schemes is making their games more inclusive.

Games should be for everyone.

And the DRG-5K isn't a KKK reference. It's just an upgraded version of the original Dragon and is produced by a faction that is more or less "Space Japan" (and are thus unlikely to be white supremacists given that most of them are Japanese).

The KKK existed long before BT ever did.

Whoever wrote that lore knew EXACTLY what they were doing. They could get away with it in the 1980s, but it was racist & in bad taste then.

Also, there's a KKK title called the Grand Cyclops, and an in-game mech called the Cyclops. Does that mech need a rename too?

I have no problem with the Cyclops, just as I have no problem with the Dragon, or the Clans. If there was a Grand Cyclops, that name would be racist too.

Anyone who is excusing the presence of the Grand Dragon is either ignorant, deluding themselves, or acting in bad faith

And the DRG-5K isn't a KKK reference. It's just an upgraded version of the original Dragon and is produced by a faction that is more or less "Space Japan" (and are thus unlikely to be white supremacists given that most of them are Japanese).

Also it's not like Imperial Japan had its own history of racist supremacy...oh wait, let's ask Korea, China, and the Pacific Islands about that...

#29 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:51 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 16 May 2021 - 10:49 AM, said:

Whoever wrote that lore knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

How do you know what it was meant to be? Show your work.

#30 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:52 AM

I'm reporting this thread for wasting my time.

#31 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:56 AM

Hey, whilst you're tilting at windmills, why don't you go threaten to withhold your business from these guys:
http://www.granddragonhotel.com/

#32 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:56 AM

Anyone who is excusing the presence of the Grand Dragon is either ignorant, deluding themselves, or acting in bad faith

No I'm just not a black American who thinks that space Japanese mech named so by some neckbeards in 80s is reference to KKK and obligated to inform everyone in the world that it offends them.

#33 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:57 AM

The KKK existed long before BT ever did.

Whoever wrote that lore knew EXACTLY what they were doing. They could get away with it in the 1980s, but it was racist & in bad taste then.

The Grand Dragon mech first appeared in the 3025 Technical Readout (Technical Readout: 3025 - BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)) the authors of which you just accused of deliberately and knowingly using a racist reference. That accusation itself is a slander/libel so you had better be very sure you can _prove_ that.

Frankly, this seems a highly dubious accusation, I suggest you rescind it before you get into trouble.

#34 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 16 May 2021 - 10:56 AM, said:

No I'm just not a black American who thinks that space Japanese mech named so by some neckbeards in 80s is reference to KKK and obligated to inform everyone in the world that it offends them.

But you are, for some reason, obligated to let everyone know that this offends you. Stop virtue signaling about how much you hate virtue signaling.

Dear gawds, you guys are so dense we could use you for radiation shielding.

#35 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:01 AM

View PostEscef, on 16 May 2021 - 10:58 AM, said:

But you are, for some reason, obligated to let everyone know that this offends you. Stop virtue signaling about how much you hate virtue signaling.

Ye let's not counter terrorism because killing people is bad.

#36 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWhy are we here? Just to suffer?

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:04 AM

View PostEscef, on 16 May 2021 - 10:58 AM, said:

Can you also please stop virtue signaling about how much you hate that we're virtue signaling about us hating virtual signaling...
By your logic, we can do this ad nauseam until the heat death of the universe.

#37 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:05 AM

Is there any evidence that the developers of BT actively searched for KKK ranks to use as names for their Mechs? That's required to actually make it a 'reference', otherwise it is just a coincedence.

If it's a coincidence then there should be no issue in changing it.

#38 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:06 AM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 16 May 2021 - 11:01 AM, said:

Ye let's not counter terrorism because killing people is bad.

Are you seriously trying to tell an Iraq War veteran that some dipshit overreacting to a name is somehow terrorism? Are you? I mean, wow. You managed to say something that's at least 10 times dumber than this thread's opening post. I'm impressed.

#39 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:07 AM

View PostEscef, on 16 May 2021 - 11:06 AM, said:

Are you seriously trying to tell an Iraq War veteran that some dipshit overreacting to a name is somehow terrorism? Are you? I mean, wow. You managed to say something that's at least 10 times dumber than this thread's opening post. I'm impressed.

No I'm just overexadurating your logic to actual world problem. And you clearly missed the sarcasm in that post,

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 16 May 2021 - 11:08 AM.

#40 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

View PostYouKnowNothing, on 16 May 2021 - 11:04 AM, said:

Can you also please stop virtue signaling about how much you hate that we're virtue signaling about us hating virtual signaling...
By your logic, we can do this ad nauseam until the heat death of the universe.

My logic is that I'm calling you hypocrites. Virtue signal as much as you like, but virtue signaling about how bad virtue signaling is really only paints you as intellectually deficient rubes.

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 16 May 2021 - 11:07 AM, said:

No I'm just overexadurating your logic to actual world problem. And you clearly missed the sarcasm in that post,

Whatever you say, rube.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users