13 replies to this topic

#1 DOMINUS ET DEUS

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:15 PM

Hello Mechwarriors!

I've been having a 2-week joy-gasm realizing that MW didn't die 15-ish years ago from IP lawsuits and decided to post on the forum.

I've been an avid fan of Battletech and MW since the early 1990's with lots of the novels still in drawers. I remember back in the 2000's there was a new MW in the works and I was watching the little trailer put out in giddy anticipation. But then came the announcement of a lawsuit over the imagery used for some of the mech designs and the entire franchise seemed like it folded up and died instantly.

despondent, I went and played knock offs for a bit and eventually ended up at Eve Online where I've been ever since. Occasionally I went to do a search for any news about MW, but years went by without a word so I gave up the search long ago.

By complete coincidence while I was searching for Eve related stuff on YouTube my eye caught something about an MW5 just now being released in the related results down the right side.

Disbelief was my first reaction and then I thought it might just be old fans cheering for a relaunch. I watched the trailer and still couldn't believe it was real.

Once I did a search and found MWO my mind was officially blown.

It took me a week to be able to move the memory around in my PC using DOS commands in the diskpart field to finally get the 50 gigs, but I finally succeeded!

What you all have created here is ****ing fantastic!

I could sit here and drill down on 100 things that I would love to be improved, but I really am impressed you all were able to resurrect something I had long thought deceased.

I look forward to everything ahead,
DOMINUS ET DEUS
P. S. I'm a botanist for the inner sphere, so Latin names are usually a specialty of mine :-)

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

Greetings!

Enjoy MechWarrior Online.

Before you spend your money or your effort on something, it could be a good idea to ask in this section: New Player Help

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 May 2021 - 04:29 AM

Welcome! After the first MW5 trailer over 10 years ago to which you seem to be referring, PGI reworked their plans for Mechwarrior and turned it into a F2P online multiplayer title (MWO). We've been alive here since 2012/2013. A few years ago, PGI had built up enough success with it that they went back to their original goal of MW5. Sadly, they had pulled resources away from this game (MWO and MW5 are not at all the same game) until more recently where they're just starting to get people back on MWO for development. For now, that's just going to be tweaks and polish, but it's development all the same.

#4 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,573 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 23 May 2021 - 04:35 AM

Just returned to MWO summer 2020; having a blast :)

#5 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:47 AM

Welcome to the game

#6 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:21 AM

Welcome Home Soldier o7

#7 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:57 AM

@title

More like on life support...

#8 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:21 AM

MWs you may have missed since 2000's:

Free MW4 re-release (not sure if still working): https://www.mektek.net/projects/mw4/

Mechwarrior: Living Legends (Crysis mod, not sure current status): https://en.wikipedia..._Living_Legends

HBS BattleTech (tactical Battletech): https://harebrained-...com/battletech/

MechWarrior Online (this game, of course)

MW 5 - Mercenaries (PGI's newer MW game ): https://mw5mercs.com/

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:25 PM

Where you in a coma? The military? California?

Afraid you missed the golden years of MWO (which lets be honest, was like....two of them) but at the same time you also havent been trampled over by IGP/PGI and fiascos like the Gold plated mechs or the epic pig store so I honestly think you'll have fun here, player base is fairly small but its been like that for years so its probably not going to shrivel up to nothing anytime soon.

(My standard advice to anyone considering MWO is to be very frugal with your money, like your mooching internet off a coffee shop wifi level of frugal.)

#10 Nemesis T Type

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts
  • LocationProbably in a Fafnir

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:30 PM

Welcome! Have fun and enjoy your stay.

Nothing I say or do in-game is personal...

#11 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:51 PM

View PostGotShotALot, on 25 May 2021 - 11:21 AM, said:

Mechwarrior: Living Legends (Crysis mod, not sure current status): https://en.wikipedia..._Living_Legends

MW:LL is still active. it has some issues but its alright if you don't mind it having dated graphics.
(MW:LL also hass combined arms, you can pilot everything from hover craft to Airospace (and of course mechs)

#12 Oogalook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:27 AM

Welcome! Glad to hear you having fun!

The player base is salty on the forums but the game is still very, very fun, even after all these years. There's nothing like it out there. I somehow just got four new players into the game last month, and they're over the moon.

#13 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:26 AM

View PostOogalook, on 27 May 2021 - 10:27 AM, said:

I somehow just got four new players into the game last month, and they're over the moon.

Hearing about new players is nice. The question is: Will they actually stay?

#14 GoGo Yubari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:25 PM

Well, I've actually enjoyed my time back. And things do look somewhat promising for the future, but it does take some waving away of the fact that we are playing a really old game in need of updating in more ways than one. I am along for the ride for now to see where this goes.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users