35 replies to this topic

#21 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:41 PM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 24 May 2021 - 04:12 PM, said:

That's hardly fair... you don't have to get a whole lot of damage to contribute...

I'm gonna treat this in good faith and not an elaborate troll and ask: Then why are you posting a game in which you did over 400 damage, got five kills, were fourth on your team in match score, and won the match?

You did contribute a lot in that match. That's why your PSR went up. In your previous matches you didn't contribute much, and your PSR went down

#22 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:49 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 24 May 2021 - 04:41 PM, said:

You did contribute a lot in that match. That's why your PSR went up. In your previous matches you didn't contribute much, and your PSR went down

And really, the discussion should end with that. There's no more concise way to sum it up.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:54 PM

you need to strike a balance between aggression and caution, a good way to do that is figure out where you are in the death order. first 3, you are too aggressive. downgrade your engine and add sinks or ammo or something. last 3 you might want to grow a pair. be more aggressive and fight with your team.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 May 2021 - 04:55 PM.

#24 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:06 PM

@OP

Be carefull what you wish for, be might just get it

and not like it when you get their

The lower tiers are practically solo que, much more fun
and less cultists

#25 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:14 AM

Kill Assists are awarded not for doing damage, but being engaged with an enemy that is killed by someone else. You don't need to do damage to get assists. Being shot at is sufficient.

#26 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:52 AM

Doing zero damage goes without saying, however he is not wrong about the psr. I had a match recently where my team won, I had one solo kill, and around 250 damage. The psr went down for me not up just down. It seems its locked to high numbers now, which is counter to good tactics. Example if your a brawler in a mid to long range battle, you do not charge out in the middle of it. You wait for the right time to strike. Anyways the psr seems to be set for anything below 300 damage, and too few components destroyed, and not enough kills will kill your psr even if you win.

Edited by Lances107, 25 May 2021 - 12:52 AM.

#27 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:59 AM

View PostLances107, on 25 May 2021 - 12:52 AM, said:

Doing zero damage goes without saying, however he is not wrong about the psr. I had a match recently where my team won, I had one solo kill, and around 250 damage. The psr went down for me not up just down. It seems its locked to high numbers now, which is counter to good tactics. Example if your a brawler in a mid to long range battle, you do not charge out in the middle of it. You wait for the right time to strike. Anyways the psr seems to be set for anything below 300 damage, and too few components destroyed, and not enough kills will kill your psr even if you win.

Its proportional. The system is zero-sum so that the amount of PSR lost and PSR gained by players in a match adds up to 0. If your team or enemies perform exceptionally well, you'll have to match their performance to grab your share. Losing some PSR at a bit below middle of the pack might be like losing 0.0001 points so not super relevant either.

Don't worry too much about individual matches. What matters is long-term statistics where you settle at. MWO has a large random element that evens out with sufficiently many matches played.

Edited by Gagis, 25 May 2021 - 01:00 AM.

#28 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:18 AM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 24 May 2021 - 04:12 PM, said:

That's hardly fair... you don't have to get a whole lot of damage to contribute...

You kinda do. Hard to get kills, components destroyed, flanking, hit'n runs or brawling without putting out the damage.

Those scores you posted. Got eighth in Damage and matchscore. The problem appears that you do not understand what fair means. Most folk I hear use that phrase do not. Let me sum it up. Fair means everyone has the same scoring system. Sure, light hunting will be penalized as you could kill a piranha with ~80 damage if you sweep the legs. But they move and run around and you get less damage per shot often than if you just targeted a trundling Direwhale.

Guess what? We all work with the same scoring system.

The thing is, most folk who whine about fairness don't like everyone using the same system because it doesn't benefit them. Tough. That's what fair means. Sometimes you lose, and if you don't score high you don't get paid as much. We drop 24 mechs on the field, and at best (for most games,) half aren't walking outta the match. You wanna win or score some decent xp, you gotta put in the work.

That's fair.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 25 May 2021 - 01:29 AM.

#29 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:31 AM

OP you tier 3. thats why.
you face Tier1 tryhards.

#30 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,708 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:02 AM

View PostSpeedy Plysitkos, on 25 May 2021 - 02:31 AM, said:

you face Tier1 tryhards.

He was Tier 4 when he made the post :)

OP, see below for the link to the PSR update. You are ranked against the other 23 players on that drop, with winning providing a bonus. Example got from another thread when the poster was complaining of getting a down arrow on the losing side. That poster went down by 1 PSR point with a 333 MS and the person above him broken even on PSR w/340 MS. On the winning side, a player w/217 MS earned 1 PSR point while the next lowest player w/212 MS either broke even or went up 1 PSR (he had a +0.5 PSR)

Remember, PSR formulary compares you against the other 23 players... On the losing side above, if one of the lower scoring players had a 119 MS instead of a 219 MS, the complaining 333 MS player would have received an equal sign/broke even instead of a down arrow for a neg 1 PSR pt.

The first link is to the PSR reset and a graph of how that would look and the 2nd link is to the example above.

https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/

https://mwomercs.com...25#entry6397025

#31 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:11 AM

Brios made an excellent explanation video:
https://youtu.be/JFqlZXOVtdw

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 25 May 2021 - 05:11 AM.

#32 MrMadguy

• 2,202 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:44 AM

This is whole reason, why terrible PSR XP bar system was implemented in the past. Some players don't even understand, that they deserve losing PSR, because they perform poorly in comparison with other players in their matches.

#33 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:58 AM

He is trolling.

Done more 700 damage = good fight.
Done more 1000 damage = very good fight.

#34 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:18 AM

View PostSpeedy Plysitkos, on 25 May 2021 - 02:31 AM, said:

you face Tier1 tryhards.

Hi, I'm tier 1. I most certainly don't try hard. It's just that you guys don't even look behind you when my Flea / Incubus / Kitfox / Linebacker / Wolverine / Whatever shoots you up the bum. So here I am.

#35 DreadDjinn

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

PSR is terrible on a single game basis. But that is irrelevant. It is meant to rate you based on a large body of evidence. If you are too slow to reach the battle every time, that means you need to stop taking 20kph brawlers into drops. Only consistently misrepresented PSR changes are a problem. The one odd game where your score does not reflect how you did is an acceptable outlier.

#36 account redo v1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:56 AM

View PostGeneral Solo, on 24 May 2021 - 09:06 PM, said:

@OP

Be carefull what you wish for, be might just get it

and not like it when you get their

The lower tiers are practically solo que, much more fun
and less cultists

If it weren't for longer waiting times for a match at lower tiers (if that's still the case), I wouldn't mind too much what my tier is.

View PostDreadDjinn, on 25 May 2021 - 11:18 AM, said:

PSR is terrible on a single game basis. But that is irrelevant. It is meant to rate you based on a large body of evidence. If you are too slow to reach the battle every time, that means you need to stop taking 20kph brawlers into drops. Only consistently misrepresented PSR changes are a problem. The one odd game where your score does not reflect how you did is an acceptable outlier.

My 2 erppc viper-b is decently fast and maneuverable. It was a case of the map being solaris city which is tricky for me. Offers certain options, but other challenges.

The OP was something of a small bit of whining.

The 5 kill screencaps were a bit of a joke kind of.

What happened was 3 enemies were left: Rifleman (iic maybe?), Marauder II, and I think a timberwolf (might have been mk2). the rifle and timby were low hp, the marauder was pretty damaged. I had lost one of my 2 ppcs at that point, but still had both torsos. I shot the timby through a small gap at the bottom of the area where the minecart tunnels converge and took him out. Then shortly afterwards shot the rifle in the back and took him out. The marauder was still in decent condition up top, but I took out one of its torsos and it eventually ran out of ultra 20 ammo (I think). It had 3 medium lasers left over. I shot for its legs and probably played more cautiously than necessary. I lost the torso the rest of the way, but eventually took out both legs and won. I think he took falling damage at some points because his legs took damage I didn't deal at times. Also, in the mine shaft area, he was trying to corner me, but I had taken out his torso and his speed wasn't so good to start anyways, so I jumpjetted around a crystal formation at just the right time to get distance safely.

Edited by account redo v1, 25 May 2021 - 12:06 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users