Is This A Stupid Build On A Stupid Mech?

BattleMechs

24 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:03 PM

So I'm going to pick up two new Assaults while the sale is on.

I've found I don't like slow mechs and since my other three Assaults are all Clan I would like at least one IS.

I've been testing some of the recommended builds but I've ended up with one odd one - a Zeus 9S2.

I've loaded it with two ERMLs on one button and two MRM10s and two RAC2s on the other button. The lasers are mostly for poking and if I run out of ammo. The MRMs give me an early shot while the RACs are warming up and also fill the gap while they're in cooldown.

Is this a stupid build?

And what would you suggest for the better Assaults - already have a Direwolf and two Madcat IIBs (bought one and then got the freebie a week later).

Thanks!

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:08 PM

RACs are a risky choice on a Zeus, IMO. They require lots of face time and keep you from torso twisting damage as often. And the Zeus doesn’t have the most forgiving hit boxes. Point-and-release works better with that chassis.

Edit… you might get more mileage and survivability if you swap an ultra/10 for the two RACs and add a 3rd MRM 10.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 29 June 2021 - 04:16 PM.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:24 PM

Lets say the build is not the best? Keeping the theme of RACs and Enery I've whipped up a more effective/reasonable build while still being friendly to a Tier 5 player

ZEU-9S2

Using something like this SKILL TREE

Would definitely work a lot better overall as the build is more in sync, uses the quirks really nicely etc.

Actually should be quite decent. The RACs will shake the enemies will you keep dripping with LPL.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:49 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 29 June 2021 - 04:42 PM, said:

Is this a build you think is decent for T5 or decent in general?

Yeah, it's basically an oversized Bushwacker build...4 ML + 2 RAC/2 on BSW-P2 makes way more sense for the same job. Or basically any heavy with the appropriate hardpoints.

The one Zeus build I know of that is kinda alright is 6 [ER]ML + MRM40 with a big LFE and lots of DHS. Or I guess use the StinkFist variant with 18 ASRMs and some pulse laser backups.

#5 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:01 PM

Yeah never could make a build stick for 9S2... I did make a gauss/2hppc that was half way decent but light on heat sinks. Basically ignite spooky heat and fire the 2Hppc while the gauss charges. Kind of pop out and hold unto the gauss firing.

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:09 PM

Generalist builds aren't BAD, they're just not meta. If the OP wants to stick to mixed cannon and MRM (and has already bought the 9s2), I'd field it like this:

https://mech.nav-alp...a5d450e_ZEU-9S2

If I was going to MRM it to death, I'd use the 6S instead, as it also has a missile spread quirk:

https://mech.nav-alp...032a8ac8_ZEU-6S

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:34 PM

Just keeping in the theme of RACs and energy for him. I would not think it's that great. Workable, but not great.

I mean there are better builds - just some quick ones I cooked up below
ZEU-9S2

ZEU-9S2

ZEU-9S2

ZEU-9S2

You just dont want to use both arms, that means completely exposing, biggest issue with that variant.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 29 June 2021 - 05:38 PM.

#8 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:53 PM

If you want a fast assault with decent armor and hitboxes, I'd recommend the Gargoyle. Kin Wolf is a very good underrated hero. Other gargoyle variants will work too depending on your play style.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:07 PM

there is a reason i put a couple lmgs or er meds in my iv4. when you are packing mostly scatter weapons, you need a scalpel for precision work. the usual meta mrm build always seems to omit them. dont think of it as backup, its part of the loadout. use it.

you might be better off with a pair of ac5s or a uac10. ive almost always found the zeus most useful in a brawler role as it doesn't last long in midrange trades. and do populate the ams, you will need it with that torso.

idk. asymetrical builds require good twisting, along with deadsiding, is kind of an advanced skill. considering the size of the torso it probibly deadsides pretty well if you can do it. if you used that successfully in t5, you probibly wont be t5 very long. the other side of it is if you encounter a player who can aim and has a large alpha, you are a stick in 2 trades.

#10 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:59 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 29 June 2021 - 05:09 PM, said:

Generalist builds aren't BAD, they're just not meta. If the OP wants to stick to mixed cannon and MRM (and has already bought the 9s2), I'd field it like this:

https://mech.nav-alp...a5d450e_ZEU-9S2

If I was going to MRM it to death, I'd use the 6S instead, as it also has a missile spread quirk:

https://mech.nav-alp...032a8ac8_ZEU-6S

I haven't bought it yet. I learnt my lesson with my capture-the-base Raven. Great mech that works 1 in 8 games...

#11 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:08 PM

View PostMark Yore, on 29 June 2021 - 04:03 PM, said:

I've loaded it with two ERMLs on one button and two MRM10s and two RAC2s on the other button. The lasers are mostly for poking and if I run out of ammo. The MRMs give me an early shot while the RACs are warming up and also fill the gap while they're in cooldown.

Okay. Racs. we need to talk Racs. I can't believe no one's covered this yet.

You never wanna share a button with direct fire weaponry with Rotaries. With Racs you wanna pre spin up the gun afore exposing so you can be firing the moment you can. Sure, maybe the enemy ducked back and you gotta leave off to keep from spewing out ammo senselessly. But once done, spin right back up so when the enemy pokes they're poking into fire.

Sharing a mouse button means you're exposing yourself to return fire, and then starting your spin up, giving the enemy that much more free time to aim, shoot and pull back.

~Leone.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:25 PM

View PostMark Yore, on 29 June 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

I haven't bought it yet. I learnt my lesson with my capture-the-base Raven. Great mech that works 1 in 8 games...

Yes unfortunately base capping is a very, very unreliable way to win/have effect on a game as objectives are purely secondary to shooting. MWO is a FPS afterall Posted Image

That said if you have not purchased the Zeus, don't. There are better choices for Assaults.

What other Assaults do you have?

#13 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:11 PM

Honestly, if you find Assaults "slow", stick with Heavy. But it sounds like you like Light mechs much more!
Some folks are even complaining that IS Mauler & Clan Blood Asp (BAS chassis) are too slow for their tastes...
http://mwomercs.com/...lt-mechs-and-iq

Zeus ZEU-9S is pretty sweet, literally just got it before this thread. Disclaiimer: it's still unskilled.
ie: For MRM + lots of Lasers, the ZEU-9S is simply better than the proposed ZEU-9S2.

I'm buying/skilling up more alternative mechs like ZEU-9S for the sake of trying out other mech chassis.
Personally I find that I prefer my existing Battlemaster (BLR-1G, & Hero Mech), over the Zeus. Battlemaster has higher hardpoints for both MRM (above-shoulder!) and torso energy hardpoints. Ballistic hardpoints for both Battlemaster and Zeus is on its low-slung arm. But I digress.

I prefer this:
ZEU-9S, unskilled, with LE335 at 67.8 kph which is "fast enough" for IS Assault:
6x MPL; MRM40 with 3tons of ammo; 8x DHS user-installed with Heat Mgt @1.36. No AMS though.

ZEU-9S

- - - - - - - - - -
If you really must have the higher speed Zeus with reasonable weapons layout:
ZEU-9S, unskilled, with LE350 at 70.1 kph which is "fast" for IS Assault:
6x MPL; MRM30 with 4tons of ammo; 7x DHS user-installed with Heat Mgt @1.32. Again, no AMS.

ZEU-9S

Edited by w0qj, 30 June 2021 - 02:06 AM.

#14 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:30 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 June 2021 - 05:34 PM, said:

Just keeping in the theme of RACs and energy for him. I would not think it's that great. Workable, but not great.

I mean there are better builds - just some quick ones I cooked up below
ZEU-9S2

ZEU-9S2

ZEU-9S2

ZEU-9S2

You just dont want to use both arms, that means completely exposing, biggest issue with that variant.

All of these are too slow, and don't capitalize on the maneuverability that the Zues is capable of. If you want to go that slow, there are a ton of better choices.

Zues' low mounts means it needs to brawl and corner trade. It's basically just a big heavy, and should be played like one.

ZEU-9S2

Edited by feeWAIVER, 29 June 2021 - 08:37 PM.

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:24 PM

60km/h is commonly accepted as perfectly fine for QP.

And why would you put a LFE355 when you can 350/345 and add another 1-2 DHS. 2-3km/h ain't making anywhere near the difference added dissipation and heat cap does.

#16 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:04 PM

At the risk of sounding like in-laws giving unsolicited advice, and for the benefit of MechBay tweaking discussions:

Here's a proposed (improved?) version of feeWAIVER's mech:
ZEU-9S2

Key differences: (proposed vs original):
Engine: LE325 (65.8 kph), vs LE355 (71.8 kph). [ie: 8.4% slower, which is noticeable]
Armor: Standard, vs Light-Ferro (more critical slots for DHS, afforded by a smaller/lighter Engine)
DHS: Seven (7) user-installed, vs Two (2). Note the DHS installed into the Engine itself to save critical space.
Heat Management: 1.64, vs 1.38 (Heat Capacity/Dissipation limits your DPS, so the higher the better).

Note: Tried to keep other things like-for-like vs feeWAIVER's Zeus mech proposal.
As such, there are other minor tweaks that can still be done IMHO.
Finally, AMS + 0.5ton of AMS ammo is sufficient in most cases nowadays, especially after the AMS ammo buff in Cauldron's April 2021 Weapons/Equipment Pass 1 patch.

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 29 June 2021 - 08:30 PM, said:

...maneuverability that the Zues is capable of. ...

Zues' low mounts means it needs to brawl and corner trade. It's basically just a big heavy, and should be played like one.

ZEU-9S2

Edited by w0qj, 30 June 2021 - 12:04 AM.

#17 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:16 AM

This thread seems to have been dropped into the wrong forum section, so I've moved it to Assault Mech Builds

#18 Papa Varken

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:21 AM

Battlemaster works well with 2lpl and 4 erml for range synergy nad heat management - full armour, big engine giving 78 - 80ish speed and plenty of heat sinks

#19 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:37 AM

If you are looking for a mobile IS assault, I'd suggest the CGR-1A1
  • good mobility and speed
  • high mounted main weapons
  • good synergy of the used weapon systems
  • uses the chassis' quirks for maximum effect

#20 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 01:29 AM

"Fast" is assaults:

Battlemaster 3lpl 4 ermeds
Charger brawl and vomit are ok
Brawl Viktor, etc. (Even some classic Atlas builds)
Banshee!! Low mounts but rly good quirks and weapon options

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 30 June 2021 - 01:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users