So, I Bought A 4K Monitor On Black Friday And Its Great!

13 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:03 PM

Its in the title, i bought a 4k Monitor on Black Friday and its the best thing since sliced bread!

I did not know what to expect but i am blown away - 4k is so much better, especially if you have a 10bpc capable Monitor and run it via Display Port.

HDMI seems to have really bad cable issues and black screens on the slightest sneeze and i do not recommend it, Display Port runs like a charm!

Also Display Port seems to be Freesync compatible and HDMI not.

I have seen details and colours so sharp and brillant it gives everything a whole new toplevel of display quality.

And the Monitor has a "Game Mode" and that is outright insane - there are no more dark spots, you see freaking everthing regardless how deep in the dark it hides!

Yet, my GPU (Rx480 8GB Nitro+ OC) is still to old to run the newest stuff on 4k i play many old games all the while and it looks so much better!
And even if not 4k scales perferct down to 1080p and 720p as it alignes pixel perfect with these lower resolutions.
My hope is FXR will help me out to scale resolutions up in newer games until the GPU market goes back to sanity but even if not the 10bpc colour depth alone was worth it.

MWO runs surprisingly well at close to 60 FPS but it has one major flaw - the UI does become diminuitive.
I have seen that other games offer to scale up their UI by a certain amount and 200% increase in size is perfect for 4k.

I feel, as 4k Monitors become really inexpensive, i bought mine for 179€, PGI should consider to add a 200% UI scale option - the whales probably will like it and so will every new player in front of a 4k screen!

Its that fantastic!

Edited by Thorqemada, 01 December 2021 - 03:06 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:12 PM

i have a 4k monitor, but i opt to run at 1080 and hash in the background.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,349 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

NICE 4k monitor...jealous ;)

Typically it's the computer/graphics that is the bottleneck for 4k games, and MWO is no exception...
(Actually just found out that for MWO the bottleneck is the single core CPU speed--after upgrading!!)

And the words/text in MWO game client under 4k screen is so small that I've almost had to put my nose to the LCD screen...

Wishing you an enjoyable 4k gaming experience, with MWO and especially with other games!!

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:39 PM

View Postw0qj, on 01 December 2021 - 06:28 PM, said:

NICE 4k monitor...jealous Posted Image

Typically it's the computer/graphics that is the bottleneck for 4k games, and MWO is no exception...
(Actually just found out that for MWO the bottleneck is the single core CPU speed--after upgrading!!)

And the words/text in MWO game client under 4k screen is so small that I've almost had to put my nose to the LCD screen...

Wishing you an enjoyable 4k gaming experience, with MWO and especially with other games!!

yea, id say dont get a 4k screen unless you have a lot of gpu horsepower. general rule of thumb dont spend more on a monitor than you did on your video card unless you are going for an absurdly large monitor. but with supersampling being a thing now that rule might not stand for much longer, at least until the video card situation improves.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:45 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 01 December 2021 - 06:39 PM, said:

yea, id say dont get a 4k screen unless you have a lot of gpu horsepower. general rule of thumb dont spend more on a monitor than you did on your video card unless you are going for an absurdly large monitor. but with supersampling being a thing now that rule might not stand for much longer, at least until the video card situation improves.

I happened to get my 3060 at MSRP, so my monitor is indeed more expensive than my gpu ;)

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:19 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 01 December 2021 - 07:45 PM, said:

I happened to get my 3060 at MSRP, so my monitor is indeed more expensive than my gpu Posted Image

im running a 2070 super now. it can do the job at least in mwo. been trying to buy a 3070ti. i can afford a 3080 @ msrp but it might be outside my tdp budget for my new sff build. but stock being what it is il go as low as a 3060 ti or a 6800xt. whatever i can get. the old card goes to the mines.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 December 2021 - 08:22 PM.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:31 PM

2070 super is a solid card, my thoughts go out to you for trying to acquire its successor. I ended up using an amazon bot to get the 3060, it was just impossible to compete with the sub second reaction time of most 'people'. After that I realised I needed a new CPU, which required a new mobo and RAM. And wouldn't you know it? The old PC case was not big enough to contain everything including the water cooler. But hey this ship of Theseus well and truly runs Cyberpunk!

Edited by RickySpanish, 01 December 2021 - 08:32 PM.

#8 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:39 PM

1080ti and 10600k run my 58" Hisense 4k tv just dandy with 4k ultra settings and 60 fps. Only games to give it any issues at 4k are the very newest like red dead redemption 2 but that game chokes out new cards too. Was cheap too. Got it a year ago on sale at walmart for $270 and its been excellent. Has low latency on the pc input and runs 10bit color with hdr10 and all the rest. Best part is that it has a quality hardware upscaler so for say red dead 2 I can drop down to 1440p and set the driver to display scaling and it looks about as good as 4k native.

#9 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:16 AM

In general a good 2k display is a better recommendation for gaming. 4k needs rly good gpu in AAA titles and displays are still expensive if u want high refresh rate, ips, good colours / features...

=>Good 2k ips display with 144 hz over 60 Herz 4k

In 2k u got 108 pixel per inch!

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 02 December 2021 - 03:20 AM.

#10 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:58 AM

Its actually 28" 157ppi 4k 60Hz 1ms (GTG) for me - as i play mostly RPGs, Sims, Strategy etc. its a perfect fit, i have all the options i want for higher, lower and upscaled resolutions.

#11 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:43 AM

I recently purchased a 27' 4K monitor but still run MWO at 1920x1080 due to the GUI. That said, it's newer tech than my old screen so I find the picture quality to be better.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:12 AM

the gui at 4k is annoyingly small.

#13 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

Interesting. I recently went from months of playing on hotel wifi with an old laptop back home and got a new high end pc and 4k monitor, and if anything, I feel it highlights the shortfalls of an ancient engine with no improvements.

That said, the difference it makes to my in game performance is huge. Even with only half the month on decent hardware, it was my best month in a year. I've got more deliberate headhotss in 2 weeks than in the last year as well, because I can actually see the cockpits now.

#14 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:32 PM

This thread has been moved to Hardware & Accessories

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users