Is There Any Plans For A Mwo Revamp?

55 replies to this topic

#1 UnleashThePwniez

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:36 AM

Just curious on if there's any major plans of the sort for MWO? It's been almost 10 years since MWO was released and the game is very outdated. I love MWO and have been playing since the beginning, but I think it's about time to at least port it to another engine or simply start a MWO 2. I honestly don't expect it to happen, but it would be nice. I'm a game developer myself and I spend a lot of my spare time playing MWO, or at least I do off and on. I love the Mechwarrior franchise and I love PvP via mechs and this is the only true mech PvP game out there in my opinion. It would make sense from a developers standpoint to build MWO on a more updated engine to make things much easier to create and implement content, let alone appeal to the present gaming market.

Has anything been said in the podcasts? I haven't watched them for quite some time, so I'm just checking in to see if I have missed anything of the sort on said subject?

Edited by UnleashThePwniez, 22 December 2021 - 09:47 AM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:50 AM

All's quiet on the developer front. They certainly could do a MWO 2.0 with the engine they're using for MW5, but nothing has been announced and MWO is still in maintenance mode.

#3 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:11 AM

Nope. All the founders aka the ones that paid for development,the ones still left any way wouldn't want to back any new attempt to "port" or "remaster" and have to re-buy all the things they had before. Years of mechs mc,c-bills mech xp gone. And you get nothing for it.

Wait long enough and some one will try a mutiplayer mode for mw5 I'm sure since that uses ue. Hell you can find co-op skyrim mods so it just takes dedication from some one to made that mod.

#4 Zuul the Burninator

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:31 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 22 December 2021 - 09:50 AM, said:

All's quiet on the developer front. They certainly could do a MWO 2.0 with the engine they're using for MW5, but nothing has been announced and MWO is still in maintenance mode.

False, maintenance mode implies no changes or new content of any kind, we are getting revamped maps, mech variants, quirks etc… so the game is technically out of maintenance mode. As far as any MWO2 kind of ideas, most likely not going to happen, and an engine update is too time consuming and costly to be worth the work. What we have I feel is it for the long haul, and what we get is better than what we should be getting for an old game.

#5 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,493 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:42 AM

+1
MWO is actively being worked on, with new map, new variants, and word of a new mech chassis in the pipeline!
(And not in maintenance mode!)

In fact, the ongoing monthly patch logs since April 2021 are so lengthy that one almost has to study it like an exam!
https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:00 AM

I still consider it maintenance mode. New maps are cool, and yes, they did tease another mech and that would be a 3D model, but variants and all the Cauldron work are just changing XML values in a table. This is all still very minimal work whilst having effectively mothballed anything new for Solaris and Faction Play.

The game in its current state is all there is, plus or minus the work of Francois. As a Founder, I feel I got my money's worth, I got to blow up mechs for 10 years. And i will rejoice if a MWO 2.0 or some renaissance overhaul of Faction Play is announced, but until then I will keep playing and get my campaign content from MW5 or HBS Battletech.

#7 Zuul the Burninator

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:36 AM

The main priority is QP as that’s where the bulk of the community resides, until they can entice people to faction play the balance will remain around the QP environment. The new variants are also more than just XML changes as there is hardpoint movement involved, that to me says a bit of code work, as well as the skins. I get what your saying though, this is still a lot more work than a 10 year old game now really gets and maintenance mode is definitely not the right term, I’d say minimal effort for quick easy fixes and changes to keep the game fun and balanced though.

#8 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 December 2021 - 12:32 PM

Think back over the past 9+ years (at least for me at least)... I think of all the wasted time and development effort that went into so many failed attempts by PGI to reinvent the wheel.

What MWO could have been if they'd just have stuck to developing QP and expanded map development and kept on pumping out new mech chassis to feed the revenue stream.

Instead we got a boat-load of stuff nobody wanted, asked for or appreciated.

sigh... Posted Image

#9 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 05:42 PM

PGI has talked about porting MWO to Unreal Engine (like MW5) and said that it would essentially be entirely remaking the game except for some 3D assets. It would be MWO 2, not a port of MWO. And it would cost them millions, so they'd only do it if they thought it'd be worth it. (And MW5 cannot simply be made multiplayer either.)

So for something like this to happen, they'd need a huge amount of confidence in the success of a MWO 2. Which could happen based on how MWO does. We have seen a lot of new content for MWO this past year, but none of it has been proper developer time and resources. We're now waiting to see if they're going to invest in those or not in this coming year. If they do and they get a return on that investment, then who knows what could be on the table in the future?

Personally, I think an MWO 2 in a modern engine would be a huge success. Sure it'd be rough to start from scratch again, but the current MWO only has so many years left in it anyhow for engine reasons if nothing else. We wouldn't be losing MWO to get MWO 2, we'd be losing MWO sooner or later anyhow.

#10 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:38 PM

If they can put in Unreal Engine 5, and remove that stupid frustrating PSR/tiers, embarrassing stats, or put back the way it was. Then their is hope. Half of MWO is missing. Furthermore, PGI doesn`t have the strength to up MWO.

Edited by GuardDogg, 22 December 2021 - 09:51 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:16 PM

short answer: no
long answer: negative

tldr: nope

Edited by LordNothing, 22 December 2021 - 10:17 PM.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:05 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 22 December 2021 - 09:38 PM, said:

If they can put in Unreal Engine 5, and remove that stupid frustrating PSR/tiers, embarrassing stats, or put back the way it was. Then their is hope. Half of MWO is missing. Furthermore, PGI doesn`t have the strength to up MWO.

I am sorry, but I have got some bad news for you: As long as there is a need to sort the players according their respective skill levels, then there is a high probability that some future MWO2 will have Levels, Ranks or ... Tiers.

As for statistics, many players like to know how successful are on some map or when piloting some 'Mech, how often they hit with some weapon, what game mode is the best and the worst for them, how many kills they get per game, or how often they win or lose.

#13 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:12 PM

Personally, as an Elite Founder for MWO, I'm willing to be Founder again for MWO2 Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Love this game this much Posted Image

- - - - - - - - - -
***I personally would love to have MWO update on 2022 Roadmap, something similar to:
https://mwomercs.com...ne-2021-roadmap

- - - - - - - - -
As for MWO2 development, there was a March 2021 video that broached on this topic:
http://mwomercs.com/...iness-decisions

Towards the end of this video, it mentioned that assuming sufficient sales/profit returned from MW5 investment, company can then consider to negotiate a MechWarrior licence extension, so as to provide sufficient lead time for a hypothetical proposed MWO2 remake.

Specific tidbits in this video:
~MechWarrior licence was renewed, *guess* the renewal date was on/about February 2020.
~*Guess* that MechWarrior licence might expire on/about June/July 2025.
~Matt did mention that company must secure a further MechWarrior extension before MWO2 can start development, as the pipeline for development to sales is quite long (ie: nothing has started). And you need EG7 blessings now.

Edited by w0qj, 22 December 2021 - 11:14 PM.

#14 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:47 PM

View PostUnleashThePwniez, on 22 December 2021 - 09:36 AM, said:

Just curious on if there's any major plans of the sort for MWO? It's been almost 10 years since MWO was released and the game is very outdated. I love MWO and have been playing since the beginning, but I think it's about time to at least port it to another engine or simply start a MWO 2. I honestly don't expect it to happen, but it would be nice. I'm a game developer myself and I spend a lot of my spare time playing MWO, or at least I do off and on. I love the Mechwarrior franchise and I love PvP via mechs and this is the only true mech PvP game out there in my opinion. It would make sense from a developers standpoint to build MWO on a more updated engine to make things much easier to create and implement content, let alone appeal to the present gaming market.

Has anything been said in the podcasts? I haven't watched them for quite some time, so I'm just checking in to see if I have missed anything of the sort on said subject?

Every time, you think about porting MWO to new engine, please remember about guys, for whom 1.5 minutes isn't enough to log into match.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:59 AM

its not the engine, its how much crap you try to cram into it.

View Postmartian, on 22 December 2021 - 11:05 PM, said:

I am sorry, but I have got some bad news for you: As long as there is a need to sort the players according their respective skill levels, then there is a high probability that some future MWO2 will have Levels, Ranks or ... Tiers.

As for statistics, many players like to know how successful are on some map or when piloting some 'Mech, how often they hit with some weapon, what game mode is the best and the worst for them, how many kills they get per game, or how often they win or lose.

i also have a feeling that mwo2 would also be very mw5-like. lots of npc crap with a single lance of real players on each side on mw5 style maps. as much as id like an open world experience, we are probibly not going to get one, so it will be another arena shooter. only way to do open world is if the action is confined to a single planet represented by a megamap. 'mwo: tukayyid' for example.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 December 2021 - 02:09 AM.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 02:08 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 December 2021 - 01:59 AM, said:

its not the engine, its how much crap you try to cram into it.

I guess that PGI should know by now, how important is not to mess with the core game engine and avoid adding homebrewn code, unless absolutely necessary ... Posted Image

i also have a feeling that mwo2 would also be very mw5-like. lots of npc crap with a single lance of real players on each side on mw5 style maps. as much as id like an open world experience, we are probibly not going to get one, so it will be another arena shooter. only way to do open world is if the action is confined to a single planet represented by a megamap. 'mwo: tukayyid' for example.

Well, it depends ... Can PGI learn from their mistakes? Posted Image

#17 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 02:21 AM

View Postmartian, on 22 December 2021 - 11:05 PM, said:

That is okay. With your kinda words, toxic replies, toxic PSR, I am about to uninstall. Actually, I will do it now, go elsewhere "DCS has a better atmosphere, people who care for each other, not stats...". Time for "MWO" to die. In the forums, I do not feel welcomed and in MWO. No place here, and no place in Tiers. The more I stay down with the new players, the worst I get. I am seeing it. One step forward, two steps back. The constant losing streaks. That is how the bar works. When they replace the PSR, tiers, I will be back. But that is unlikely PGI will work on that. They can not finish a unfinished game. Half of Battletech is missing. I had enough....Done "uninstalled". Bye.

Edited by GuardDogg, 23 December 2021 - 02:36 AM.

#18 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 December 2021 - 02:39 AM

How is informing you that balanced matches are important, toxic?

Get a grip.

Such commentary is absolutely childish.

#19 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:00 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 23 December 2021 - 02:21 AM, said:

That is okay. With your kinda words, toxic replies

Is anything in my previous post incorrect? And please, could you stop using fashionable buzzwords such as "toxic"?

... toxic PSR ...

PSR is just a mathematic formula. It is absolutely impartial. It can not punish players. You were told all details in this thread two weeks ago:
Do Tiers Really Matter?

... people who care for each other, not stats...".

Then stop caring about your stats. Is it such big problem? Hide your Tier display in the 'Mechlab, stop visiting the stats page. Just play as you like to play.

In the forums, I do not feel welcomed and in MWO. No place here, and no place in Tiers. The more I stay down with the new players, the worst I get. I am seeing it. One step forward, two steps back. The constant losing streaks. That is how the bar works.

If you post something what in obviously incorrect, somebody else will probably correct you.

Some very good MWO players explained to you how the PSR system works:
Do Tiers Really Matter?

When they replace the PSR, tiers, I will be back. But that is unlikely PGI will work on that. They can not finish a unfinished game. Half of Battletech is missing. I had enough....Done "uninstalled". Bye.

Replace PSR and Tiers with what exactly?

#20 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:09 AM

Upon logging into MWO game client, it retrieves:

a) List of all mechs in your mech stable, including mech packs bought from Steam (I've once received a login error to the effect that it could not connect to Steam, when my ThinkPad was on sporadic cellular connection).

b ) Your individual mech ==> and the list of cockpit items might be so long this might cause needless computer stress, both on server & client sides. Allowing users to sell unwanted cockpit items would help alleviate this situation, for minimal CBills (like it's done in ST:O another online game).

its not the engine, its how much crap you try to cram into it. ...

Edited by w0qj, 23 December 2021 - 03:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users