Recording Games

43 replies to this topic

#1 Remington1911

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:49 AM

As I am a noob, and people require proof of what I am saying, is there an in game feature or way to record your battles? If not what is a light, free product to record your missions.

#2 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 05:22 AM

View PostRemington1911, on 29 December 2021 - 04:49 AM, said:

As I am a noob, and people require proof of what I am saying, is there an in game feature or way to record your battles? If not what is a light, free product to record your missions.

If you have a Nvidia card, you can use shadow play for free:

https://www.nvidia.c...nce/shadowplay/

i find it no fuss, and it has an “instant replay” mode, which can automatically record the few minutes of gameplay. I have mine set to 8 minutes, which I find is good enough to capture 95% of games, and the important moments even in a long game. That way, at the end of a match, I can decide if it’s worth recording, and hit a button to save it at that point, without having ending up with hugely long videos of whole play sessions.

#3 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 05:22 AM

If you got Nvidia GPU then Shadowplay is easiest way IMO, you can record up to 20 minutes of history with one button. Doesn't really affect your gaming performance to keep it on.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 07:11 AM

View PostCurccu, on 29 December 2021 - 05:22 AM, said:

If you got Nvidia GPU then Shadowplay is easiest way IMO, you can record up to 20 minutes of history with one button. Doesn't really affect your gaming performance to keep it on.

Do I need some special account or registration for its use?

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 December 2021 - 07:29 AM

Surely what *you* say doesn't require proof sir?

#6 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:03 AM

if you have an AMD card, there's also recording software bundled and integrated with that.

can't say I'm a huge fan of their Radeon Software UI, but it's there and works. no account etc needed,
just records to your local hdd.

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:36 AM

View Postmartian, on 29 December 2021 - 07:11 AM, said:

Do I need some special account or registration for its use?

I don't think so..it's included in geforce experience
https://www.nvidia.c...rce-experience/

I'm logged into it but don't really know if I have to.

Edited by Curccu, 29 December 2021 - 11:38 AM.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:12 PM

View PostCurccu, on 29 December 2021 - 11:36 AM, said:

I don't think so..it's included in geforce experience
https://www.nvidia.c...rce-experience/

I'm logged into it but don't really know if I have to.

I hate all kinds of compulsory registrations.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:48 PM

Don't all Windows 10 and better system have the game bar thingy? WIN + Alt +G to record? I just looked on my 7 year old machine and I have it (never used it but its there).

#10 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:18 PM

OP - I've always used Shadowplay with my Nvidia card. But, if you plan on recording at 1080p, Windows 10 has built in recording with XBOX game bar. Under Settings -> Gaming you will find how to get it working. There are a few videos about how to use it and it's limitations. I've never used it, so I can't say how good of a job it does. But, I do use the Video Editor app to finalize my videos.

IMO - I wouldn't even bother. You'll spend a lot of time putting together your proof, and have it dismissed as "anecdotal evidence" (which is not the proper use because you actually are providing evidence) by people who quick to like anyone who posts just as much, or less, video or screen shots not showing the same. Plus you will also get responses just saying that they don't experience what you are seeing, with zero evidence to support their statement (which is the definition of anecdotal).

Like I told another player posting here, give MW5 a try for your mech fix. There is a huge community of players, who don't participate in these forums, who are making a number of excellent mods that fix many issues in the vanilla game. As well as mods adding many more mechs and weapons. One just finished adding the Vulture/Mad Dog to the game after they got their Timber Wolf working with very popular Yet Another Mech Lab mod.

Cheers!

Edited - Check over on Reddit if you are seeking proof. I'd do links, but they still show all names and scores in the screen shot. Pretty easy to search. Try "KodiakGW anecdotal evidence" (which, BTW, is an oxymoron since anecdotal means without facts - evidence).

All I'm trying to do is help a guy check out another product from EG7 since he is not having fun in MWO. Why waste his time with videos when he can have fun with MW5?

--Edited for latest quoting. It's always interesting to hear from people who don't remember conversations in which they were actively participating.
https://i.imgur.com/Rm5UaMR.png

Edited by KodiakGW, 30 December 2021 - 08:48 AM.

#11 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:56 PM

OBS streaming software can also be used to record. Completely free, no registration required.

#12 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:58 PM

KodiakGW said:

IMO - I wouldn't even bother. You'll spend a lot of time putting together your proof, and have it dismissed as "anecdotal evidence" (which is not the proper use because you actually are providing evidence) by people who quick to like anyone who posts just as much, or less, video or screen shots not showing the same. Plus you will also get responses just saying that they don't experience what you are seeing, with zero evidence to support their statement (which is the definition of anecdotal).

Fun fact: The OP was challanged - by me - to provide footage of 20 consecutive games where he drives a machine gun boating Light (PIR-1 for ease of reference) and - in accordance with his original claims - manages to "regularly" run (solo) into a group of at least 2 largely undamaged enemy heavies / assaults where he then spends several (possibily 10+) seconds with either completely destroying at least one leg of one of these mechs or at least turning large parts of its armor to deep red and then running away "laughing" in a largely unscathed mech himself.

In order for me to accept the "regularity" of this occuring for him I would at least expect to see him doing what he claims he does in 1 out of 4 matches but then I'd still be interested in seeing the other 16 matches to get an idea of how often he's simply deleted without much effect.

Also note: There are references of him currently still being in the lower match brackets where his chances of not being "regularly" deleted by good pilots with at least adequate aiming skills are higher than in the higher match brackets.

Edited by Der Geisterbaer, 29 December 2021 - 02:02 PM.

#13 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:07 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 29 December 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

This statement feels entirely anecdotal, and is not my experience.
Can you please provide evidence to back up your claim?

#14 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:27 PM

View PostRemington1911, on 29 December 2021 - 04:49 AM, said:

In addition to what was already listed, there's a recording feature in MSI Afterburner.

#15 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,012 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:56 PM

Posted ImageKodiakGW, on 29 December 2021 - 02:18 PM, said:

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 29 December 2021 - 03:07 PM, said:

This statement feels entirely anecdotal, and is not my experience.
Can you please provide evidence to back up your claim?

KodiacGW's statement is spot on

freewaiver you must either be new or been living under a rock

https://youtu.be/wPhmsKOfziI?t=332

#16 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:01 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 29 December 2021 - 03:56 PM, said:

That video is 5 years old, which by definition makes it 100% anecdotal.
I'm gonna need some screenshots of match scores before I can take your statement seriously.

#17 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 December 2021 - 06:21 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 29 December 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

The value of anecdotal evidence, or singular data points, is entirely contextual to what claim you are making.

Let's say you claim is that "It's possible to get 1200 damage in a Piranha", in this case a screenshot with a piranha doing 1200 damage would be conclusive proof that your claim is true, not further evidence would be needed and it would be wrong to dismiss it as anecdotal.

But let's say your claim is instead "Piranhas are overpowered", now that same screenshot is completely useless as pretty much any mech in the game can get 1200 damage or more when lucky and it doesn't really say anything about their strength, for this claim you would instead need statistics showing that Piranhas are overperforming compared to other mechs and it would be correct to dismiss your screenshot as anecdotal (or as irrelevant to the claim).

So the issue is not that cherry picked screenshots can't be evidence, they can in fact be perfectly sufficient evidence of a lot of different claims, it's just that they can't be evidence of general claims about balance and such.

Also I like OBS for recording, it's a little finicky to learn but it's free and gives a lot of control over quality and formats etc.

Edited by Sjorpha, 29 December 2021 - 06:29 PM.

#18 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 December 2021 - 06:39 PM

There are two types of people in the world. Those able to extrapolate from incomplete information.

#19 Therax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 07:23 PM

The Jenner is ~354m away from you and moving away from your Timber Wolf when you fired your 396m range streak missiles.

If the Jenner travels another ~42m away from the point where the streaks were fired they will not do any damage as they will then be out of range. It is close, but it looks to me like the Jenner manage to make that distance before the missiles impacted.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

View PostTherax, on 29 December 2021 - 07:23 PM, said:

The Jenner is ~354m away from you and moving away from your Timber Wolf when you fired your 396m range streak missiles.

If the Jenner travels another ~42m away from the point where the streaks were fired they will not do any damage as they will then be out of range. It is close, but it looks to me like the Jenner manage to make that distance before the missiles impacted.

Keep in mind that the missiles detonate after traveling their range. The attacker continued to follow the target after firing, so at no point does his range to target equal the distance traveled by the missiles. You can see the missiles detonating at the end of their range just a few meters behind the Jenner.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users