8 Vs 8 Quickplay Weekend

563 replies to this topic

#521 Knives Million

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:30 PM

Have played a few matches and there seems to be major balance issues that will need addressing. I don't mind the concept of the option of 8v8, but don't think it should be the standard/only team size option. I love 12v12, personally. 8v8 needs adjustment with tonnages, as it stands there is not reason why a team should not go all heavy/assaults or stealth/light troll builds. Also, if the group queue mode is coming about, can there be a way to bring back an option for 12 size groups again if the groups are clicked on? I think people should at least have the option so that big teams like that can gather and fight in a coordinated fashion.

#522 Knight Wight

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:36 PM

Not a fan. Frequently, I have been dropped into matches where the heaviest thing on my side was a heavy or two and the other side had 3 assaults. Secondly, bad play from one player heavily tilts a match. Thirdly, I have seen very few close matches, almost all of them end lop-sided. I am new, but enjoyed 12 v. 12 better.

#523 AWOLBacon

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:37 PM

Fix the Matchmaker. Tonnages are way slanted one way or the other. I'm not sure if it's because the upper and lower limits were not adjusted for smaller team counts (you, know like the Group Drop system does....Ammeter Hour guys) or it's something more complicated than that. The fights are done quickly and one sided. I love the idea of 8v8 personally, but with the matchmaker, please just go back and unfuck the game. I can tell you rn, you will lose tons of players if things stay this way. If 8v8 is going to be implemented, make it an option, but whatever you do. Fix the matchmaking.

#524 Coffeeghoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 12:46 PM

Played quite some matches on different accounts in different tiers. It's even worse than the 12 vs. 12. Everything is completely random. Tonnage, skill, groups. You know it when you play with cadet friends against a group of 4 world champions. There is no point in playing this any more. Test failed, sorry.

Edited by Coffeeghoul, 21 March 2022 - 12:47 PM.

#525 spurdo of 92

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:11 PM

okay, so you gave us 8v8 like we had back when I made my older account. you know what else we had back then? smaller maps with more cover, and a longer TTK. losing 80+ tons of allies the moment the blue laser holders see them means the match is rolled before the 10 minute mark. not fun. not being able to even remotely play off meta without getting melted also isn't fun. this game has been tuned for reducing the TTK and for 12v12 for HOW LONG? and then you just drop this on us, without any warning, in the middle of an event? you should be focusing on improving the QUALITY of matches, instead of the quantity.

#526 -XenoBeast-

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:12 PM

I enjoy it more than 12vs12, the CPU load is by far less demanding, so I've noticed a huge increase in performance on my low end PC, almost no frame drops, I can play very decently now. 12vs12 for lots of people means that the game is barely playable with 35 to 60 fps when the main brawl takes part or even without brawling on the huge maps.

If the game runs better, the game can be played by more people, no matter the PC they have, this is one of the reasons why e-sports shooters are so played. More players means more money to do cool stuff.

The 8vs8 makes you play more carefully, players tend to be more patient and tactical, every move has more impact to the game, you have to take better spots and defend team mates more than 12vs12. I've seen less nascar by far and this is great, it feels more like the tabletop game.

Another positive thing is the queue timer, finding a game is quicker than 12vs12.

The only thing I don't like about 8vs8 is the possibility of making teams of 4 and enter into the queue, this allows to pick unbalanced tonnage mechs (which happens even without teams), meaning the other team can have 0 assaults while you have 4 in yours, full sniper teams, or the wolf packs, which are by far much more dangerous in 8vs8 since every player has more value to the team than 12vs12.

I think tonnage adjusments should be done in this game mode and allow no more than 2 player group to enter the queue.
Also, make some maps like polar highlands smaller in relation of the number of players on the match would be nice.

Hope it helps!

#527 KDMM Apollo

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:12 PM

I want to thank you PGI for doing this event, I had such a fun blast over this weekend because of that! <3

First of all, I'd like to say 8v8 is SUPERIOR in almost every aspect compared to 12v12. We all know that this is not the most well optimized game (old engine, running almost entirely on 1 core, spaghetti code etc), so playing with less people in a match actually results in more fps and smoother gameplay. It should also produce shorter wait times for games aswell.

Secondly, I always felt maps were too small and crowded for 24 players. Especially the older "classic" ones. 12v12 was always about a clusterf*ck of chaos and nascaring. The game was advertised in the past as the "Thinking Man's Shooter", and 8v8 puts that back into the game. Hell, It even felt like playing a real MechWarrior game since MW4.

You have more impact on your team, which I liked the most. Communicating with your teammates is also encouraged. With 16 players overall the maps felt tactical, and strategy choices were actually important in the outcome. What really shows how good it was and how much I enjoyed 8v8s, is that I enjoyed all of my matches, all the wins and yes, all the games we lost aswell (even when we got stomped). It was SO GOOD!

Of course, you can run into 4 man premades and there are also some tonnage imbalances, but seriously who cares. It can be fixed in the future, and until it gets fixed I don't mind a little challange here and there Posted Image

Hope 8v8 will be a permanent quickplay option in the future, had such a good time blasting it.

Thank You!

Edited by KDMM Apollo, 21 March 2022 - 03:04 PM.

#528 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 03:04 PM

WOW guys, in just a few days of 8 VS 8, minus yesterday game was down, i busted right thru tier 4, kills are on the uptick, been playing with more 4 man groups, i hope some of you learned a few things --most do not know me, but am long term player, with many good mechs, and learned tactics.
HMM i think i know why they just throw this test in, why in GODs name, did they do this,

SAWK KHAN the wolfs dragoons

#529 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 04:13 PM

View PostSawk, on 21 March 2022 - 03:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by Nightbird, 21 March 2022 - 04:14 PM.

#530 PeteZonee

• PipPip
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 March 2022 - 04:37 PM

8v8 is an overall better experience than 12v12.

Good aspects about 8v8:
  • Games are harder and more focused
  • Less nascar (in tier 1)
  • Bad positioning is punished way easier
  • Overall seems to be more fun when not up against a group
A couple issues with 8v8:
  • Groups can consist of 50% to 63% of the team (You can have match with a 3-man and 2-man on the same side)
  • No secondary matchmaking to consider group tonnage and PSR
  • Some maps are too big for 8v8 but are still playable
  • Cbill/XP rewards are way too low
If soup 8v8 is to be a thing in the event queue, there needs to be secondary matchmaking involved to help balance teams in terms of group PSR and group tonnage, and cbill/xp rewards need to be increased for it to be worth it time-wise.

Edited by PeteZonee, 21 March 2022 - 04:39 PM.

#531 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 21 March 2022 - 05:53 PM

View PostNightbird, on 21 March 2022 - 04:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

This right here is what is not needed... people using that to gauge others' worthiness of posting opinions...

#532 Snardo

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUSA East Coast

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:10 PM

As a pretty casual player, I think 8v8 puts too much weight on each player in the group. With the smaller groups, one or two players not doing their part on a team can easily pull down the whole team and make for a "stomp". In a 12v12 such a situation can still often be overcome. Not a fan of the 8v8.

#533 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:26 PM

View PostBig-G, on 21 March 2022 - 05:53 PM, said:

This right here is what is not needed... people using that to gauge others' worthiness of posting opinions...

The point he was making was the OP was claiming to have "busted right through tier 4". Apparently the OP did work right through tier 4... just in the wrong direction.

#534 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 06:34 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 21 March 2022 - 06:26 PM, said:

The point he was making was the OP was claiming to have "busted right through tier 4". Apparently the OP did work right through tier 4... just in the wrong direction.

That's what might have been when I he posted... a couple of bad games in succession can seriously have impacted him maybe, still no reason...

#535 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:35 PM

View PostBig-G, on 21 March 2022 - 06:34 PM, said:

That's what might have been when I he posted... a couple of bad games in succession can seriously have impacted him maybe, still no reason...

Got to measure that e-peen.

#536 Musca

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:50 PM

View PostKrizalius, on 19 March 2022 - 01:00 AM, said:

What is the most interesting. You need to do this as with the choice of servers.

Previously, solo queue and group queue were merged due to the decreasing player population in MWO.
It is nonsense to separate queues again from now on.

#537 SATAN RULES

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:53 PM

We dont like 8x8 bring back 12x12

#538 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:03 AM

Lets try 15x15 next time. 5 mechs in 3 drop points.

#539 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:09 AM

Officially can't wait for this to end... the general player base is too uncoordinated or thick to get how it works...

#540 Keyop

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:21 AM

Had no idea this was coming up, and thought my game was broken.

Played several games, and still feel like the game is broken.

Heavily skews in favour of teams, which is fine if you're in one...

Matches now over too fast, and there is far too much imbalance between the two teams. Previously, this was usually balanced out by sheer numbers in the game.

Very much have not enjoyed 8v8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users