Mechs, Maps, Design Update Dev Vlog

33 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 04:22 PM

Mechs, Maps, Design Update Dev Vlog

Join Matt as he talks with Mark, Indy, and Francois about the work on MWO!

Intro 00:00 to 00:26
Maps 00:27 to 05:35
Mechs 05:36 to 08:34
Design and Gameplay 08:35 to 11:02
Outro 11:03 to 12:00

*Apologies for the audio quality and volume fluctuations

#2 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 18 April 2022 - 04:29 PM

[XXXXXXXXX REDACTED XXXXXXXXXXXX].
thankyou for making the toys i play with every day.

#3 All Your Bases

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the check-ins guys exciting stuff coming! Can't wait!

#4 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 04:43 PM

New map looking good!

#5 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 05:09 PM

Looks incredible! Interesting Vitric/HPG hybrid design. Probably the most balanced map to date. Looks like it has a variety of firing lines for different range profiles. Some verticality, but not too much.

Those 4 mini-arenas should discourage nascar-style QP gameplay. And I'm glad to hear that they made a conscious effort to avoid the pitfalls of the new HPG, where snipers can "abuse the sides of the maps".

Great job guys, thanks for all the hard work.

#6 Jade of Sudeten

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 05:44 PM

To bad the caldron doesn't represent any everyday casual players. Their input certainly doesn't seem to be anything anyone I know would want.

#7 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 06:07 PM

View PostJade of Sudeten, on 18 April 2022 - 05:44 PM, said:

To bad the caldron doesn't represent any everyday casual players. Their input certainly doesn't seem to be anything anyone I know would want.

Why don't you put out some suggestions for what you'd like to see? A large amount of what Cauldron does is based on what people go and talk to them about. You can go to their Discord and give feedback, or post here and ask for it to be dropped to them (they do read these forums, but won't see everything.)

#8 PeteZonee

• PipPip
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 April 2022 - 06:13 PM

New map looks great. Looking forward to a more brawly map.

#9 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 April 2022 - 06:33 PM

Expect nascar for 1-2 weeks, but not because of the map, but because mentality and as a default move. If only I would know a ways and spots and tactics for this map beforehand, I never nascar. If I would make this map I present it alongside with a video guide, showing people best tactics, alternatives to nascar

Edited by ENOVA, 18 April 2022 - 06:36 PM.

#10 Kano111

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2022 - 07:57 PM

New map looks like there are plently of locations to death from above from.

One question: Can the asset colours be changed? Specifically, the HPG assets in the new map, can they be tinted other colours so they fit the surroundings a little more? Would be nice to see them resemble the enviroment a bit more by being a tint similar to the biome.

#11 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 April 2022 - 08:22 PM

That cockpit for the crusader is looking great, designing for an open view is much appreciated.

Posted Image

Also, new platinum mechs, I do love me some shinies:

Cougar H
Arctic Wolf A
Novacat B
Madcat MKII B?

Wolfhound 1A
Crab 27SL
Black Knight 6B
Mauler MX90

#12 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 18 April 2022 - 09:51 PM

Wow, had no idea so many folks are working on MWO, and even trying to bring things earlier to us if at all possible!
A big thanks to everyone for their hard work to bring us new content!

Mark, Indy, Francois, and of course Matt...

~3rd new map looks good,
~1st new mech chassis (Crusader) cockpit looks nice,
~Platinum Collection 02 for both IS + Clan is amazing!! ;)

#13 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:33 PM

They've ruined their road map! Releasing things ahead of schedule! WHY EVEN HAVE A ROADMAP?!? /s

#14 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 April 2022 - 01:18 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 18 April 2022 - 06:07 PM, said:

Why don't you put out some suggestions for what you'd like to see? A large amount of what Cauldron does is based on what people go and talk to them about. You can go to their Discord and give feedback, or post here and ask for it to be dropped to them (they do read these forums, but won't see everything.)

I wont use discord to much malware.. I got a Rat from Discord.

#15 cazeral

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 03:13 AM

Tentatively . . . .

The new map looks good and it appears Francois has listened to the deluge of criticism about sniper orientated maps; don't let us down.

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 04:17 AM

short and to the point. this is what dev vlog videos should look like.

new map looks good. seems rather than just doing a flat redux of vitric forge, they more or less did what seems like a completely new map and seem to be keeping it brawly. dis gun be gud.

less excited about the mech packs though, unless a mech brings something new. id love some new weapons though.

View PostNomad Tech, on 19 April 2022 - 01:18 AM, said:

I wont use discord to much malware.. I got a Rat from Discord.

discord is a gaping security hole. and its forced sms two factor makes it useless to me. there are better two factor protocols.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 April 2022 - 04:23 AM.

#17 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 19 April 2022 - 05:46 AM

Yes, more brawling is great. I have heard from MANY in games that this has become a boring sniper game with distance trading. Despite what some players may feel, not all playstyles are equally valid currently and the long range gameplay is a rather boring playstyle, IMO, for a game that should not be a sniper fest as that wasn't the way they battled in lore.

#18 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 April 2022 - 07:54 AM

So the flaw in the thinking at PGI is this constant focus on "Arenas". These are environments, not Solaris. You need to drop the "Arena" mentality and design "environments" that you might run across on a distant planet somewhere.

Make us feel like we've marched across a continent/planet and we happened to run into an enemy force in this wilderness/moon/city area.

One of the biggest flaws with the HPG remake isn't so much that there ARE ramps, it's that they LOOK like ramps. The ability to walk up the landscape at the outer edge of the map and get onto the top of the wall was fine. Placing metal ramps as part of the architecture is asinine, and makes me ALT+F4 every time HPG wins the vote. I'd rather eat the penalty than look at that horrible "arena"-focused design.

That said, the new map is really giving me New-HPG flashbacks, and raising my blood pressure quite a bit.

The Emerald Taiga FP map was a nice, natural-looking area, with green lower mountain slopes stretching down to a water body, and snow-capped peaks closing in around a military base and orbital gun emplacement tucked into an alpine valley. It's quite beautiful and natural.

The remake's random ring of mountains closing in the lower part of the map seem out of place, in contrast, especially since you've got green mountains on one end and snowcaps on the other, all at the same elevation, and the platforms along the edge are too flat, too artificial, to properly blend into an alpine landscape.

So far, the Hellebore remake does an acceptable job of retaining the natural feel of an alien landscape, although I was still disappointed to be able to recognize the FP terrain so easily. I was expecting "A new map based on Hellebore Springs" to be akin to the "New map based on Grim Portico" that gave us Grim Plexus: Same terrain assets, COMPLETELY different layout. My standards were understandably reduced DRAMATICALLY after that, upon announcement of an Emerald Taiga "remake".

Edited by C337Skymaster, 19 April 2022 - 07:56 AM.

#19 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 April 2022 - 08:09 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 18 April 2022 - 06:07 PM, said:

Tried that. Firstly, the Cauldron folks don't seem to have as much respect for the source material as the original developers at PGI tried to have. They're more focused on their Comp play, and less on the idea that this is a simulation of something that should be "real" in about 1000 years.

"A Battleship's 18" guns are too OP, so we'll just make them 17" because that's better balance. And the 16" guns on their opponent are a bit underpowered, so we'll bump them up to 16.5". The bigger guns are still bigger, but not by as much". 18" guns are 18 inches. You technically "can" sleeve them, but nobody's going to unless the barrel's worn out, and then only back to the diameter of the ammo. And nobody's going to widen the bore on a 16" gun, because it'll weaken the barrel and the ammo similarly won't work anymore.

Likewise, A Clan ERLL does 10 damage for 12 heat. Not 12 damage for 9 heat. Technically, cooldown for EVERYTHING is a flat 10 seconds. Now, acceptable alternatives would be to consider that the DPS is 10 damage over 10 seconds, but actual firing rate can be anything that achieves that, with heat sinking being the main limiting factor, etc. Or we can just agree that capacitors take awhile to charge up.

But they don't like to be "constrained" by that kind of thinking.

Secondly, I got the boot over a misunderstood remark, rather than a request for clarification.

#20 GaelicWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStuck somewhere between a Fantasy and Reality

Posted 19 April 2022 - 10:03 AM

Even though it is A year old. This is one of the best reviews and suggestions I've seen yet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users