Pts: May Patch Features! - Pts Over

91 replies to this topic

#61 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:35 PM

Overheat "bug":

During event queue rounds with "no overheating" marked overheat deaths were observed.

This may have been due to tweaking the wrong stat though: By my observation it was heat dissipation that was set to near-infinite, instead of an increased heat cap.

Builds with Alpha Strikes that exhausted the heat cap of a mech (went beyond 100%) therefore led to overheat damage including instadeaths.

#62 KarlP

• The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 10:03 PM

Hello,

How long are you spending in the event queue looking for a game? I haven't found a game yet, maybe waited for an hour or so.

Edited by KarlP, 12 May 2022 - 11:24 PM.

#63 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,788 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:03 AM

i was in there for one hour, just have my controls get mangled. this game needs better defaults that are actually usable. for example the mouse sensitivity being cranked all the way up is bad. turning that down to a sensible 0.1 took just enough time where the other guy got killed.

im not to thrilled with the implementation. if anything things are more complicated. wasn't that one of the intended goals to simplify the system? granted it was a lot faster to deck out. gonna need to re-optimize everything anyway. anyone who runs a mech without fixing up its nodes is going to be at a severe disadvantage. especially if they aren't getting the full node refunds and have to re-grind.

seems like they should take another month to pare down the tree. make some of the 'never gonna be used again' nodes and bake them into the mech stats. reduce every node type down to a maximum of 6 and increase the value of each node proportionally. reduce the node count to 60. strip all the skill points and reduce by 2/3s rounding up to the next whole node (this would also buff all remaining nodes 50% as 2 nodes are now worth 3). additional buffs to the seldom used nodes that are still relevant. some of these nodes could be converted to equipment or upgrades.

things like advanced zoom (enhanced optics) and improved gyros should be equipment, and improved narc should just be a better launcher (perhaps as part of a big equipment and weapons pack). replace all the jump jet upgrades with a single upgrade stack (bonus if you change the jump jet mechanics to control the jet angle with torso pitch).

also improve the color codes, just add more.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 May 2022 - 01:42 AM.

#64 Marcus Castor

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:37 AM

Hello everybody,
I guess this will be my first post, so please, bear with me.
Radar deprivation and advanced ecm is hidden behind sensor range, while you already need an mech with ecm capability.
Target retention can be picked without any dependencies.
I think it would be great, if radar deprivation and advanced ecm could be picked without any dependencies as well.

cheers

EDIT
Sry, it´s my second post.

Edited by Marcus Castor, 13 May 2022 - 01:41 AM.

#65 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:17 AM

+1
That's exactly what DATA said in his video about the proposed Skill Tree:

It literally takes only 5 skill points (and no filler/dependencies) to max out Target Decay skill, for +3.5 seconds!
Everyone and their dog is going to take up this one. I feel it's OP, since no opportunity costs.

*IF* MWO is going to do away with 100% Radar Deprivation in the future (say max 75% Radar Deprivation from Skill Nodes), then something drastic must also be done with this straight 5-skill-point Target Decay giving +3.5 seconds!

View PostMarcus Castor, on 13 May 2022 - 01:37 AM, said:

...Radar deprivation and advanced ecm is hidden behind sensor range, while you already need an mech with ecm capability.
Target retention can be picked without any dependencies. ...

Edited by w0qj, 13 May 2022 - 05:01 PM.

#66 Marcus Castor

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:29 AM

+1

View Postw0qj, on 13 May 2022 - 05:17 AM, said:

... *IF* MWO is going to do away with 100% Radar Deprivation in the future (say max 75% Radar Deprivation from Skill Nodes), then something drastic must also be done with this straight 5-skill-point Target Decay giving +3.5 seconds!

Thanks for the video!

Edited by Marcus Castor, 13 May 2022 - 05:30 AM.

#67 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:04 AM

Although if they do NOT do away with 100% Radar Dep, then the skill tree should remain as it is. (I'm all for reducing the maximum strength of Radar Dep). At 100%, Radar Dep completely negates all 5 Target Decay skills, and makes as though the skill nodes were never selected in the first place. That, then, is the "opportunity cost" on the 'mech that chooses to select a skill set that can be made useless by another 'mech's skills.

#68 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:43 AM

I hope they change the skill tree down the road to cut the nodes roughly in half and change some of them around but for now, they can't change any or it will break someone's mech that has that skill selected. I doubt they will actually ever change the number of nodes because they will want people who come back in 6 months or a year to be able to use their mechs without invalidating the nodes they still have selected.

#69 Rogard

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:36 AM

I cannot login into the PTS environment. I even updated my PW and still cant get in. Anyone else have that issue?

#70 Marcus Castor

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:10 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 13 May 2022 - 07:04 AM, said:

Although if they do NOT do away with 100% Radar Dep, then the skill tree should remain as it is. (I'm all for reducing the maximum strength of Radar Dep). At 100%, Radar Dep completely negates all 5 Target Decay skills, and makes as though the skill nodes were never selected in the first place. That, then, is the "opportunity cost" on the 'mech that chooses to select a skill set that can be made useless by another 'mech's skills.

Could it be an option, when radar deprivation and target decay would negate each other?

Edited by Marcus Castor, 13 May 2022 - 09:14 AM.

#71 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 02:57 PM

Is skill-tree saved profiles still locked to chassis?

If yes, can you unlock it? Other than ECM nodes being invalid for non-ECM mechs, there's no other real benefit and it'd be a real time-saver to create 5-6 generic trees and do minor edits here and there without copying codes back and forth.

#72 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 02:58 PM

HMM mine loaded right up, everything went ok, skill tree was ok, mechbay was ok,--- only 1 hickup.

NO one was there to fight, i''ll try again tonight, sounded like fun : )

SAWK CLANNER

#73 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,788 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:52 PM

looks like they took it down already. i wanted to see how many mechs will need to be completely redone and to what degree. should have left it up all weekend so i could mess around with the system without corrupting my live account.

i don't think playing games was necessary to test this feature. that was more a test of event queue (which i really like btw, even though i played only one game).

#74 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:02 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaand this May 2022 PTS is over... (I'm even getting ninja'd in my timing of delivering this post!) :o

I did not have enough chance to fully check it out myself, even though I was able to complete that Test Event object by grinding & suffering with what little time I had to use. It was not possible to get enough even-feeling fights in the Event Queue Module to really feel those functions working properly. Almost feels like the PTS should have run through the weekend too, since there seems to be an issue with the Sale on UM-R80 & VPR-F over on the Live Servers when last I looked. :(

For what I experienced however, it would seem that only the display of Quirks & Skills information as a listing in the Tooltips & Panels was actively ready for prime time and could safely be added into the Live Game itself for everyone to enjoy. This one at least gave me a smile. :)

Unfortunately, someone was messing around with the Language Packs and their structure rather horribly. Worse, the In-Game Dialog for the Command Wheel and On-Board Computer were both completely non-functional and therefore never made a sound where they really needed to. I can only guess from my examination of the associated files that the internal structure changed too severely and the PTS Game Client may have silently been unwilling to use them. There were also a couple small spots where UI Features were showing an indicator of a missing Title or Description even though my system is already English language. I can only guess that CryEngine is designed to be a little harsh about how it wants the data it uses to be structured. :mellow:

Where things finally got to me was when I switched over to view my Skill Nodes explicitly without editing anything at all. Let alone the cryptic dialog in the face prior to seeing the effects, some of the Mechs that I had previously mastered suddenly popped out on the order of around 40 Skill Nodes when imported instead of keeping the spots purchased and activated. It had been claimed that if nothing were changed, one could look at the Skill Nodes and see that imported state and where it stood under the new interfaces. Instead, any breaks in the sequence were wrongfully refunded in total without any useful obvious visual indication of where they came popping off from, making it near impossible to re-allocate & reconcile in any consistent manner. I hate to say it, but that left me mildly upset, and I had to remind myself this was a PTS to catch these issues even if it meant that it took a few more months in order to do things right before these changes could actually be delivered upon. :unsure:

In final verdict, I'll be looking forward to the Tooltip & Panel Display of all the Quirks & Skills coming into the Live Game in the very near future. The rest still needs time to be worked on before it will be ready for prime time, and should probably wait at least another month or two before seeing release to the general population. Good luck with releasing what should be, and then more good luck on getting the rest into a far better state than what the PTS showed it to be in. Anyone with a reasonable mind on their shoulders who plays MWO should be able to accept waiting for items being properly ready for delivery. And yet, one might think a News Post and some transparency could very much help with not getting the general population angry over things not appearing all at once. :huh:

~D. V. "not trying to be annoyingly long-winded about their final May 2022 PTS-related thoughts" Devnull

#75 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:21 PM

Yeah, felt like should have left it up this weekend... MWO staff would be off work anyways!

I for one would be willing to wait a few more weeks (1-2 months) to make Skill Tree prime time before launching... PTS version did not feel ready...

And could not find anyone for PTS queque... :(

#76 ambosen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 06:50 PM

So, that whole test was completely pointless, then. Because literally I never got a match to load up before they apparently took it down. Spent way to much time in cue simply waiting to see if literally anyone would join until it inevitably timed out or I ended up in a match with maybe one person aside from me that hadn't obviously given up on the event even loading and not yet logged out.

So yeah. I'm gonna be honest, it doesn't look good for event mode, especially given how over 3 days of repeated downloads and "repairs" for that test server version, I literally only got one event que that even loaded up with enough players for a match that appeared to have ever connected at all, most of which were disconnects or AFK's.

Did anyone else get at least one round in with more then 1 or 2 active people to even get an idea of how the changes actually affected something?

#77 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,788 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:39 PM

i agree, i dont think the new skill trees are ready. either keep the skills where they are until they can be fixed, or just refund everything so i can fix it without needing to grind more. its already looking like the "you dont need to do anything" promise is kind of bogus, you are going to have to fix all your mechs if you want to use them in any meta sort of way. i figure if people have to grind to fix mastered mechs, there is going to be a major uproar.

View Postambosen, on 13 May 2022 - 06:50 PM, said:

So, that whole test was completely pointless, then. Because literally I never got a match to load up before they apparently took it down. Spent way to much time in cue simply waiting to see if literally anyone would join until it inevitably timed out or I ended up in a match with maybe one person aside from me that hadn't obviously given up on the event even loading and not yet logged out.

So yeah. I'm gonna be honest, it doesn't look good for event mode, especially given how over 3 days of repeated downloads and "repairs" for that test server version, I literally only got one event que that even loaded up with enough players for a match that appeared to have ever connected at all, most of which were disconnects or AFK's.

Did anyone else get at least one round in with more then 1 or 2 active people to even get an idea of how the changes actually affected something?

the event queue seems to be the most ready. i mostly attribute my not getting any games to starting late (i missed the entire first day), and off peak. but i did get one, which was 2v2 assaults on solaris maps, and i got 2v2 assault on a solaris map. if solaris had this it might not have died. that seems to be working fine.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 May 2022 - 10:40 PM.

#78 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:11 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 May 2022 - 02:57 PM, said:

They're not.

#79 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:29 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 May 2022 - 02:57 PM, said:

If yes, can you unlock it? Other than ECM nodes being invalid for non-ECM mechs, there's no other real benefit and it'd be a real time-saver to create 5-6 generic trees and do minor edits here and there without copying codes back and forth.

So for awhile now, (and you can check this on your live account as soon as you read this), in the lower right corner of the Skills page, there are four little blue buttons, which say "save", "load", "import", "export". They work the same as their counterparts in the MechLab, proper. You can save a skill tree (or 20) and load it up, then make whatever minor tweaks you want to before you save it.

This next part goes for everyone else: any currently saved skill trees will be invalidated by the new configuration. I tried loading a few and all I got were error messages. It wouldn't even partially-load the tree minus orphaned nodes, it just straight up said "nope". Not unexpected, but still disappointing, since I DO have 20 or 30 skill trees saved, and I'll have to delete and recreate each one.

#80 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for answering my question of "Saved Skill Tree config"...

Guess I will have to manually delete ALL "Saved Skill Tree config" to avoid massive confusion in the future about new/legacy skill tree saved config... Posted Image

Edit: I have 46 saved skill tree config files, located at:

C:\Users\XX\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\MechSkillTrees

Edited by w0qj, 14 May 2022 - 09:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users