Map Update!

42 replies to this topic

#21 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:19 AM

OMG Caustic can become half decent with these changes.... I mean old one was still light years better but maybe I don't have pure hate and loath towards this new one after changes.

#22 Lepestok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationNizhniy Tagil

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:51 AM

TOURMALINE DESSER

Edited by Lepestok, 19 May 2022 - 06:52 AM.

#23 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:53 AM

I'm getting strong Facing Worlds vibes from Unreal Tournament with that new quick play map. Can't wait to play it!

#24 Andrewlik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:02 AM

Is it possible to make it so that for the first week or so the new map is ALWAYS an option in QP? Just to ensure we can enjoy it and truely feel how QP works out on it

#25 Lepestok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationNizhniy Tagil

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:17 AM

Find your first level designer. This man knew how to make great maps!

#26 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:52 AM

View PostAndrewlik, on 19 May 2022 - 07:02 AM, said:

Is it possible to make it so that for the first week or so the new map is ALWAYS an option in QP? Just to ensure we can enjoy it and truely feel how QP works out on it

Can't set it to ALWAYS, but we do turn the chances way up over all other maps.

#27 StrongMouse

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:14 AM

Thank you for updating Caustic Valley. Hopefully this new version will be more playable. I personally preferred the earlier versions of this map.

#28 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:30 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 19 May 2022 - 07:52 AM, said:

Can't set it to ALWAYS, but we do turn the chances way up over all other maps.

Is it also possible to turn up the "Incursion" Mode's chances, or does that depend entirely on how often the Maps which can do it appear? If it's entirely dependent on the maps, then is there any chance we can get more of the current Maps to contain the ability to do Incursion Mode in the future? :o

Which reminds me, please let Francois know that I've looked at his screenshots and think he's doing great on the Vitric Forge QP Map so far. About the only way it looks like he could out-do himself there would be to add the ability of "Incursion" Mode to that Map in order to add upon the stack of those which can do it. And please get him to jump into the Forums as well, because it would be nice & enjoyable to communicate directly with him instead of having to constantly put others through the relay game! (Get him some regenerating armor or something to shrug off the jerks with so they can't burn him out while he's talking with the rest of us!) :D

Also, about the change to Nav Theta on the Viridian Bog battle area, how well shielded is that against weapons fire which comes from the F5/F6 grid sectors such as the upper hill? Seems to me like easy shots from on high have plagued that Conquest Point since forever. :huh:

Please also communicate up the chain if possible that the Skill Trees Editing Update seemed extremely far from ready on the PTS instance when it was made available for people to check out. (It completely bounced out Skill Nodes on import which had been previously purchased & equipped even though no alterations were being made. Claims had been previously made that said this would not happen, one could look at what they had unlocked, and those unlocked ones would all stay the way they are so someone's Mech could be played as it was prior to the Game Client Changes being made, as well as provide the player a guideline in how to update their Mech Skill Trees to fit under the new systems.) It felt like it needed a lot more time to be worked on, and that maybe it should also be delayed like the Vitric Forge QP Map currently is. :mellow:

Along with the above, the changes to decrease the costs for Skill Node purchases as well as the new Quirks & Skills split display can be released much more quickly. (EDIT :: Sorry that I didn't explicitly say this before... These two parts are far more ready for prime time than the editing interface controls mentioned above.) ^_^

I can only hope these thoughts help with making MWO's development improve over where it is now, as I want to see MWO survive & grow to be even better than before. B)

~D. V. "has Map-related questions and other thoughts with the May 2022 Patch and onward" Devnull

(p.s.: If there had not been an external source communicating 'Mark Nicholson's departure from PGI and leaving, it happens that I would never have known. If possible, please let Mark know there are people who wished he had stayed on board and will miss him, as it happened to be great that he communicated during the development of new Mech Variants and visual designs, and is something that at least some people – like myself – will always be thankful for!)

[Single Edit by the Post's Author on 2022-05-19 @ 14:33 (GMT -07:00) in order to add a whole missing sentence that they thought had been in their post before, but was found to not be present... It's fixed now!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 19 May 2022 - 01:33 PM.

#29 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:57 AM

Appreciate the changes on Caustic -- both the spawn one and the fog. I personally struggled to see stuff on it and did not love being shot like ... immediately.

As for a map that, IMO, needs a bunch of love is Terra. I don't care about the heat aspect, but the map itself is just "shoot across the middle". Which is boring. I'm hoping it will receive some attention also.

We can wait a month for the new map, better to have it ready to go fully.

#30 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:13 AM

View PostKodan Black, on 19 May 2022 - 09:57 AM, said:

Appreciate the changes on Caustic -- both the spawn one and the fog. I personally struggled to see stuff on it and did not love being shot like ... immediately.

As for a map that, IMO, needs a bunch of love is Terra. I don't care about the heat aspect, but the map itself is just "shoot across the middle". Which is boring. I'm hoping it will receive some attention also.

We can wait a month for the new map, better to have it ready to go fully.

I can confirm that Terra Therma is on a very short list. Not saying it's next, but it's close if not.

#31 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:28 AM

And where is Alpine Peaks?

Why is the map not so often in the choose options?

#32 Darko Nagasawa

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:39 AM

I think the current (i.e. not new) take on Caustic was interesting. Francois obviously wanted to break the Nascar by removing the central hill and added fog and boulders instead in order to give cover back.

With the new take on it we have a hill-like structure in the center again and no fog anymore, thus even losing atmosphere in the process. That's a net negative in my book.

The current version is a really unique map. From the screenshots the new one looks like a downscaled Polar Highlands in yellow.

P.S.: The rest of the updates seem good to me, thank you for the hard work!

Edited by Darko Nagasawa, 19 May 2022 - 11:44 AM.

#33 Agent Super Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:25 PM

Most difficult thing for me is the yellow stain on Caustic and Hellebore in Domination... it's really brutal.
When can we see that get made more visible on the minimap?
I am disappointed to be saying goodbye to old versions of maps, and especially to playing on maps at different times of day - even if decisions are made for good reasons. Really hope that will be available some day as an option, even if it's just event queue and private lobbies. My first ever game of MWO was River City at night. It's just not the same without it!!

#34 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 May 2022 - 01:07 PM

CAUSTIC VALLEY
Removed the fog completely

Posted Image

Also liking that Terra Therma is on the short list. Please please please do keep in mind that with multiple locations for the domination circle, the fight doesn't have to happen at the same place every game. That essentially makes 2-3 times the fun!

#35 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,413 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 19 May 2022 - 04:27 PM

+1000000000
Wishing Mark Nicholson all the best; he's done a lot to put modern MWO Reloaded to where it is now!
Thoroughly enjoying MWO, which is a complement to Mark ;)

View PostD V Devnull, on 19 May 2022 - 09:30 AM, said:

...If possible, please let Mark know there are people who wished he had stayed on board and will miss him, as it happened to be great that he communicated during the development of new Mech Variants and visual designs, and is something that at least some people – like myself – will always be thankful for!)...

#36 Miriage

• PipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:11 PM

Can we just go ahead and group spawns on every map, tired of spawning nowhere near the team and getting wolfpacked

#37 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 736 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:21 PM

Why did you have to remove the fog from Caustic? It was the only thing giving the map some personality now that you also killed the dusk ambient lighting...
Why don't you remove more broken things from more maps instead of removing interesting bits that cause no harm? -_-

#38 B O O M E R A N G

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 02:59 AM

Sweet updates, thanks!

#39 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 02:03 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 18 May 2022 - 04:53 PM, said:

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I liked the fog on Caustic. Now, Endor Fog Forest Colony, on the other hand...

New Vitric looks good, doesn't seem too big but the scale is hard to tell from here

I also like the fog in the Caustic map.

#40 Flanking Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 21 May 2022 - 12:37 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 18 May 2022 - 08:01 PM, said:

me too. I miss night time on maps in general and foggy bog

Just removing all fog on Caustic feels very heavy handed in general.

i miss being King of the hill :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users