61 replies to this topic

#41 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:03 PM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 31 May 2022 - 10:31 AM, said:

Not yet but we're working on it right now!

Have you guys considered giving the team with smaller/no groups more tonnage bias? You know, if one team has a 4 man group, and the other team has a 2 man group; the team with two man gets more of the solo players in assaults and heavy mechs?

I have 0 issue with the present group drop by the way (best decision made thus far), but if it helps balance for players who don't like groups, I'd be cool with it.

Edited by Clay Endfield, 31 May 2022 - 09:03 PM.

#42 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 10:08 PM

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 31 May 2022 - 10:59 AM, said:

No offense, but no way. Suddenly after the patch I was seeing 90% players I never have before, and I could tell by the chatter and the merciless gameplay they were much higher tier players. This is a real issue, not just the same old "matchmaker could be better..."

i saw a lot of top players and tags in the queue tonight. granted i should see those players given my tier. but i wonder if they didn't have a big league night in qp to take advantage of the gap in the event queue schedule. i mostly logged in to buy some new mechs and got ruthlessly slaughtered whilst testing them out.

#43 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 04:02 AM

View PostAxMiLLi, on 31 May 2022 - 03:06 PM, said:

Is the new in-game chat font here to stay?

Actually I like the Ubuntu-Fonts.

The Size is another Issue, maybe if they give us the oportunity to change the Font-Size you fill in Love with the Font ...

#44 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 07:02 AM

And a Final Fix needed and I have a good Idea for once and for all times get that matter out of the Discussions:

ALPINE SHOULD BE STICKY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE MAP CHOOSE SCREEN FOR ALL TIMES!

This in a PATCH and we are nearly at the end of the themes!

):>

#45 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 01 June 2022 - 09:58 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 31 May 2022 - 09:48 AM, said:

That's just classic matchmaker and low-population MWO. That's not related to the recent patch, and it's going to take a lot more than a hotfix to resolve it.

Seems way worse since the patch tho.. i have to say patch did something to mix the tiers even more than usual..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 01 June 2022 - 04:07 PM.

#46 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:08 AM

View PostPCHunter, on 31 May 2022 - 10:41 AM, said:

Your No. 1 priority for increasing the gameplay, retention and new accounts is to equalize matchmaking. If you cannot replace the current algorithm with something that works for more than 10% of the time, then you should start working on an equalization modifier to all players in a match. This would adjust each players damage, armor and heat impacts based on the target. Tier 1 shooting a Tier 5? 50% negative quirk to damage, 50% plus to heat. Tier 5 shooting a Tier 1? 50% plus modifier to damage, 50% neg adjustment to heat. Or something like that.

You don't like that? Then get MM to at least try to work most of the time. The percentage of unbalanced matches since the patch has increased substantially to the point where nearly every one I played is stacked in one way or another. The 2 most obvious is Tier 1 4-man groups massacring cadets and low tier players. The next most obvious is weight distribution - how can 6 assaults in a match end up in a 1 v 5 scenario? How can 8 lights end up with 7 on one team? MM failure is the answer.

So many Tier 1's have told us low tier players (T4 personally) to just get better at the game. Seriously? Hard to do when you are focused fire killed in 2 minutes. Or in matches that last 4 minutes bc your inexperienced team was seal clubbed. Or another Tier 1 flip remark is to just quit the game. Not sure that makes for MWO longevity.

Anyway, while I like to see development progress, none of the recent work will matter if MM remains so heavily broken.

What exacerbates the issue of unbalanced matches is that the skill tree change was ultimately a buff in which the more experienced players have the knowledge to take advantage of. TTK has been reduced yet again. I've been calling for a halt on weapon buffs (specific mech buffs are ok on weaker mechs) or implementing an overall % increase in armor based on weight class for years. These suggestions are doubly important now since re-scale will not be happening.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 01 June 2022 - 10:09 AM.

#47 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 June 2022 - 11:13 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 31 May 2022 - 06:41 PM, said:

Does this still work post-hotfix? All the thread comments are 4 or 5 days old (pre-hotfix).

Yes, it does. Posted Image

#48 Ronbo

• PipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 48 posts
  • LocationWashtington state

Posted 01 June 2022 - 02:49 PM

View PostMichael Abt, on 31 May 2022 - 01:44 PM, said:

There is a fix for it out there: https://www.reddit.c...ce_fix_for_may/ It worked well for my MW3 Betty.

I have a hard time understanding that link. I too use the MW3 BB, but i put the ZZ in front post hotfix, but do i still need the other file? right now, the stock BB works post hot fix.

#49 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 June 2022 - 08:48 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 31 May 2022 - 10:31 AM, said:

Not yet but we're working on it right now!

Could you and Matt go into more detail on the Matchmaker issues in a devlog or post please? What the current issues are and what steps are being done to resolve the issues?

Farther down the road, what plans do you have for Quick Play and Event Queue, primarily any matchmaker adjustments but also more general plans.

#50 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 June 2022 - 10:00 AM

View PostRonbo, on 01 June 2022 - 02:49 PM, said:

I have a hard time understanding that link. I too use the MW3 BB, but i put the ZZ in front post hotfix, but do i still need the other file? right now, the stock BB works post hot fix.

Download the first file which is linked that reddit post, unpack it, and place that (Z_Dialogue_English.pak) into your MWO \Game\ folder.

Then rename your MW2 or MW3 sound mod in that folder by adding another "z" in front of it. Mine is now named "zz-MW3-BitchingBetty_Sounds.pak".

#51 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:46 PM

Hey, uh the sooner matchmaker gets fixed, the better. Team composition has gone to hell all of the sudden with all the Tier 5/4 players running off to solo brawl firing lines and driving up teammates' tailpipes when they're trying to peek/poke. Seriously have considered fragging "friendly" noobs for blocking me from dipping back into cover; that is when I'm not dying of exasperation watching solo noobs engage organized enemy formations without demonstrating any sense of self preservation.

Between the less skilled players sabotaging their teammates and throwing away their mechs willy-nilly I'm having a real hard time enjoying MWO right now.

#52 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 09:25 PM

View PostClay Endfield, on 02 June 2022 - 04:46 PM, said:

Hey, uh the sooner matchmaker gets fixed, the better. Team composition has gone to hell all of the sudden with all the Tier 5/4 players running off to solo brawl firing lines and driving up teammates' tailpipes when they're trying to peek/poke. Seriously have considered fragging "friendly" noobs for blocking me from dipping back into cover; that is when I'm not dying of exasperation watching solo noobs engage organized enemy formations without demonstrating any sense of self preservation.

Between the less skilled players sabotaging their teammates and throwing away their mechs willy-nilly I'm having a real hard time enjoying MWO right now.

With Event queue inactive for now, it's already back to normal...

#53 RalphyNoPants

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Referee
  • CS 2023 Referee
  • 34 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:34 AM

When working on the matchmaker, have you put any thought into resetting the tiers on a regular basis?

#54 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 June 2022 - 11:35 AM

View PostRalphyNoPants, on 03 June 2022 - 08:34 AM, said:

When working on the matchmaker, have you put any thought into resetting the tiers on a regular basis?

What do you call a "regular basis" in terms of time? If they tried to do that any more often than a whole year, then it would have a rather undue impact of punishing lower-tiered players far too often due to knocking higher-tiered players back down into playing against them. I would think that we want to avoid an extreme increase in stomp-type Match results, as those happening would drive out more players and ruin MWO's available population. :(

Instead of doing a complete reset every so often to everyone, it would be better to instead monitor a player's inactivity individually and adjust their PSR based upon the time during which they are away from MWO in entirety. Say for example that it could be rated at around 750 PSR dropped for every 6 months gone by, and that the change does not happen if the player returns before the whole 6 months of time has passed. That of course also means it would require multiple full chunks of 6 months each, all in order to drop multiple chunks of 750 PSR each. It would require that a 'Tier 1' was away for at least three long years in order to drop them back into 'Tier 5' completely. This would also give those down in 'Tier 4' and/or lower the chance to improve before someone like that came to wreck their existences. So what do you think of such a finer-grained incremental approach on a per-player basis as an alternate option to be used? :o

~D. V. "Whole-hog MM Tier Resets seem like a bad idea... Perhaps a per-player incremental approach is better?" Devnull

#55 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 05:09 AM

Finally a patch for all the weird issues! Thank you! Posted Image

Might give the game a go again this week to see what the new changes to the Skill Tree are all about! Posted Image

View PostPCHunter, on 31 May 2022 - 10:41 AM, said:

Your No. 1 priority for increasing the gameplay, retention and new accounts is to equalize matchmaking. If you cannot replace the current algorithm with something that works for more than 10% of the time, then you should start working on an equalization modifier to all players in a match. This would adjust each players damage, armor and heat impacts based on the target. Tier 1 shooting a Tier 5? 50% negative quirk to damage, 50% plus to heat. Tier 5 shooting a Tier 1? 50% plus modifier to damage, 50% neg adjustment to heat. Or something like that.

You don't like that? Then get MM to at least try to work most of the time. The percentage of unbalanced matches since the patch has increased substantially to the point where nearly every one I played is stacked in one way or another. The 2 most obvious is Tier 1 4-man groups massacring cadets and low tier players. The next most obvious is weight distribution - how can 6 assaults in a match end up in a 1 v 5 scenario? How can 8 lights end up with 7 on one team? MM failure is the answer.

So many Tier 1's have told us low tier players (T4 personally) to just get better at the game. Seriously? Hard to do when you are focused fire killed in 2 minutes. Or in matches that last 4 minutes bc your inexperienced team was seal clubbed. Or another Tier 1 flip remark is to just quit the game. Not sure that makes for MWO longevity.

Anyway, while I like to see development progress, none of the recent work will matter if MM remains so heavily broken.

What you suggest to do is horrible and the bad matchmaker and low skill players with horrible loadouts are a huge issue for about a year now so no need to kill the game in order to try and fix the players which can't be fixed! ;)

Edited by Roodkapje, 04 June 2022 - 05:11 AM.

#56 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:05 AM

Can it bee that the MatchMaker-Ratings are now again fully junked because of the last week?

Have now many more loses with some very much noob-nascaring-teams!

Any data on that?

#57 PCHunter

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 02:04 PM

Thanks Daeron. I personally believe that some sort of individual equalizer will become a necessity to even out matches. Anything would help. The number of 12-0, 12-1 and 12-2 outcomes I've experienced clearly shows the extent of unbalanced matches. You mentioned MM and Event Queue. Well, don't discount the influence of groups dropping in soup queue. So many times a 4-man group will chose the map, match type and match outcome by virtue of their combined votes and lance composition (tier, experience and mech types). I know for a fact that groups will sandbag their votes to build vote effectiveness in eventually choosing their desired map and match type. I do like the option for group drops, but there has to be a way to equalize their influence.

Edited by PCHunter, 05 June 2022 - 02:07 PM.

#58 Think Tank

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:41 PM

This hot fix is murdering my pc.

#59 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 June 2022 - 04:47 AM

View PostThink Tank, on 06 June 2022 - 10:41 PM, said:

This hot fix is murdering my pc.

Are you referring to the download, or to the way the game runs afterwards? I've been noticing dips in framerate, and feel as though my GPU is struggling more than it used to, but I can't get anyone else to corroborate that experience.

#60 ambosen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 11:13 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 07 June 2022 - 04:47 AM, said:

Are you referring to the download, or to the way the game runs afterwards? I've been noticing dips in framerate, and feel as though my GPU is struggling more than it used to, but I can't get anyone else to corroborate that experience.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's probably that after downloading it, for at least some of us, all graphics settings seem to be randomly defaulting to maximum regardless of what we set them at previously. I set everything on mine as low as possible just to confirm my suspicions they were being switched around, and sure enough, next time I logged into the game after logging out, my graphics settings had defaulted back to the highest ones my system could manage in every aspect. I'm literally seeing my saved settings changed to high performance only every time I log into a new instance of the game.

This started happening only after the hotfix, and I wonder if Thank tank's having the same issue. godrays/volumetric lighting and shadows always really impact my perforrmance in games, regardless of what game or engine, and MWO has those settings in the graphics.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users