Hero Mechs Combat Viability

67 replies to this topic

#61 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:38 AM

The Legend Killer used to be one of my favorite mechs.
I own 3.

Pre-Cauldron it felt high risk with it's XL engine, but high reward in stopping power.
Post-Cauldron it feels mediocre at best. Mechs don't drop as fast as they used to, and the minor armor buffs it got don't really compensate.

I feel like it needs another 10% added to it's cooldown buffs, and/or a healthy structure buff.

#62 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 01 July 2022 - 12:58 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 30 June 2022 - 06:17 AM, said:

Part of the difficulty of balancing is that with literally hundreds of variants, it's hard to know which mechs aren't performing well because they suck versus the players just haven't played it in a while. There are popular choices and those are easy to look at, but the ones that are hardly used--is it because they are objectively bad or they just aren't popular for another reason?

There was a time that the Huggin and the Oxide were a little OP and they got nerfed. They are probably not out of line with other Jenners and Ravens today, but they just aren't popular because the chassis is overshadowed by so many others. And this will honestly always be a problem. By the time you've buffed a variant or chassis enough that people start picking it again, you've just reduced another variant or chassis into obscurity.

You do not aim for perfect balance because you won't achieve this. However, there is quite a difference between a Huginn and a Raven-L (the one with the ECM). Both are not op. The latter, though, is useable while the Huginn is a piece of trash with no high alpha and no high dps.

Now tell me that a mech with no high alpha, no high dps, no ecm, low range (if he wants to get a bit more dps it needs to go to MG range haha) is anywhere near en par with similar mechs of that tonnage. It simply has nothing going for it.

The same goes for the Grid Iron. It is simply comepletely outclassed by many medium chassis - even its own variants. If you want ballistics you take the Hunchie-G, or lasers if you want that Hunchie. The GI on the other hand has bad quirks because the gauss quirks doesn't compensate for 2 E points which are on balls height.

So no, it is not about getting a new meta mech. It is just so that these mechs are PLAYABLE again without the pilot being into sm

#63 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 04:34 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 30 June 2022 - 07:27 AM, said:

I do prefer different. There are a thousand ways to boat lasers or autocannons, but only the Number Seven has a 90% crit reduction, only the Heavy Metal has no jump jet shake.

I like this approach. More please!

I definitely agree heros should either have a unique ability or encourage a weird gun for the weight class.

The only other unique power i am aware of is the battlemaster hero that used to ignore the external temperature just like the night gyr.

I think the grid iron could get an additional 10% for its gauss cooldown as it has to sacrifice quite a bit to get a gauss rifle on it so it encourages something you dont normally see on 50 ton IS mechs.

oxide could definetly use some more health quirks and SRM4. Cant remember the last time I saw one but you also never see Jenners.

Huggin I think could use some better armour since its forced into close range but only alittle, I think letting it carry an additional UAV would be unique while also reflecting the fact the Ravens are a support chassis.

The panther hero i thionk should get some serious jump jet quirks, it cant bring the payload that makes poptarters scary so giving it crazy jump jets would be unique for a light.

#64 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 02 July 2022 - 10:46 PM

View PostSirNotlag, on 02 July 2022 - 04:34 AM, said:

The panther hero I think should get some serious jump jet quirks, it can't bring the payload that makes poptarters scary so giving it crazy jump jets would be unique for a light.

Yeah it already has decent ppc usable quirks but lacks the slots and tons for a good jj build. Been using it like this and its a decent brawler as long as you are not trying to solo anything.

SnubKat

You can run four lppc but the end build is about the same so you trade damage for range.

PewPewKat

Same with er larges. Just not enough room for a decent amount of jj unless you want to go urbie speed or slower.

LaserKat

#65 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 02:39 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 June 2022 - 11:18 AM, said:

i think pay to win is not really an issue. seeing as how you can grind events and get mc to buy heroes for free. it doesnt even take that long either, its been 2 or 3 events since my last purchase and im already picking out a heavy hero.

Pay to win isn't just about the money, it creates balance issues and reduces mech diversity.

#66 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 04 July 2022 - 01:11 PM

View PostGasboy, on 04 July 2022 - 02:39 AM, said:

Pay to win isn't just about the money, it creates balance issues and reduces mech diversity.

But no one is talking about any pay to win mechs. Buffing hero mechs to be the same or ever so slightly better than the cbill mechs isn't pay to win. There are a ton of hero mechs that simply suck, full stop. I don't see how giving them a balance pass to make them viable is some how going to break the game unless you are just wanting to argue the point for forum funzies. No one is talking about buffing them to be monsters destroying all before them. Thats what real pay to win is. An overpowering advantage over those that can't or won't pay. This isn't an appeal for that at all.

#67 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 04:03 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 04 July 2022 - 01:11 PM, said:

But no one is talking about any pay to win mechs. Buffing hero mechs to be the same or ever so slightly better than the cbill mechs isn't pay to win. There are a ton of hero mechs that simply suck, full stop. I don't see how giving them a balance pass to make them viable is some how going to break the game unless you are just wanting to argue the point for forum funzies. No one is talking about buffing them to be monsters destroying all before them. Thats what real pay to win is. An overpowering advantage over those that can't or won't pay. This isn't an appeal for that at all.

I simply disagree that "pay to win isn't an issue". I'm all for buffing underwhelming mechs, especially ones that people have paid money for. Hero mechs shouldn't suck, though there's no accounting for peoples' tastes in armaments.

I realize that the original idea for the thread wasn't about pay to win or making hero mechs pay to win, but it is irksome to have someone just casually toss that out.

#68 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 04 July 2022 - 04:31 PM

But no one tossed that idea out? The only negative posts are from people complaining about pay to win who apparently didn't comprehend what is being asked. Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users