84 replies to this topic

#61 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 10:35 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 July 2022 - 04:55 PM, said:

im sure the hippies didnt help with their fear mongering. new technologies have growing pains and 3 mile island is one of them. sort of like how every air disaster improves the safety of aircraft. every nuclear disaster teaches something about safety as well.

3 mile island taught us that nuclear is serious business.
chernobyl taught us that containment domes should be mandatory (and that you don't let soviets near the thing).
fukashima taught us not to build nuclear reactors in a tsunami zone.

Depends who really learned.

EPR, like that used in the much overdue, overcost Finnish plant, kinda sucks to put it bluntly. Its first ever running implementation were in China, with two nuclear plants, running into issues. There are also troubled EPR projects in the UK, now with Chinese involvement, and the UK itself approved Hualong design for its use. The two new nuclear plants in the US, both in Georgia, are also beset with cost overruns and delays.

87% of new nuclear reactor projects are of Chinese and Russian design. Whatever is left goes to India and South Korea.

https://www.cnbc.com...0on%20Thursday.

https://world-nuclea...-worldwide.aspx

#62 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 August 2022 - 06:01 AM

No surprises there. Here in the US, unless you're a Navy contractor, the only folks with practical experience building reactors are all over the age of 80...

#63 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 12:51 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 23 July 2022 - 05:15 PM, said:

I believe Putin is justified in the defense of his border,
Which he could do perfectly well staying in Russia. "His border" didn't go up to Kiyv, and he didn't need to "defend" it from civilians in Bucha, Kharkiv or Mariupol.

View PostHeavy Money, on 24 July 2022 - 11:03 AM, said:

Phew, I guess I'm lucky there aren't a whole lot of Iraqis, Afghanis, Libyans, Syrians, Yemenis, Vietnamese, Japanese, and whoever we bombed in Kosovo in the 90's playing this game because I put USA in Red, White, and Blue on a lot of my mechs.
As far as war crimes and other atrocities in past century are concerned, compared to Russia yours are rookie numbers.

View PostLordNothing, on 24 July 2022 - 05:54 PM, said:

we are only really obliged to help defend nato members. last time we were in a situation like this was in the '80s. we were supporting afghanistan in their war against russia. we sent them weapons, and when the war ended we got out of there. needless to say within 2 decades they were throwing airplanes at our buildings.
Supporting a terrorist organization is not in any way similar to supporting a sovereign country in its' defense against invasion and genocide.
If Russia gets to murder its' way through Ukraine with impunity, it will be in a much better position to attack your allies as it already declared intent to do, with 86% of its' citizens in support of "denazifying" at least one NATO member state - in particular Poland, which it would have a direct land route to at that point..

Edited by Horseman, 05 August 2022 - 01:15 AM.

#64 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 01:27 AM

View PostHorseman, on 05 August 2022 - 12:51 AM, said:

Supporting a terrorist organization is not in any way similar to supporting a sovereign country in its' defense against invasion and genocide.
If Russia gets to murder its' way through Ukraine with impunity, it will be in a much better position to attack your allies as it already declared intent to do, with 86% of its' citizens in support of "denazifying" at least one NATO member state - in particular Poland, which it would have a direct land route to at that point..

the government, which was the result of a soviet backed coup none the less, was hardly sovereign. the fight against the puppet government and their soviet allies, i suppose you can call that terrorism. hell you can call anything terrorism if the warfare is asymmetrical enough. id say they didn't become terrorists until the aftermath. we gave them missiles to fight the then communist russians, but we bailed on them in the aftermath and they held resentment for that.

#65 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:04 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 August 2022 - 01:27 AM, said:

the government, which was the result of a soviet backed coup none the less, was hardly sovereign. the fight against the puppet government and their soviet allies, i suppose you can call that terrorism. hell you can call anything terrorism if the warfare is asymmetrical enough. id say they didn't become terrorists until the aftermath. we gave them missiles to fight the then communist russians, but we bailed on them in the aftermath and they held resentment for that.
I'm referring to your notion that you shouldn't support Ukraine in the current conflict "because Taliban".

#66 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 11:26 AM

View PostHorseman, on 05 August 2022 - 02:04 AM, said:

I'm referring to your notion that you shouldn't support Ukraine in the current conflict "because Taliban".

as far as the historical record goes, helping the taliban may have been a bad idea.

#67 HolyGrail101

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 04:58 PM

HARASSMENT / DEFAMATION / INSULTS / TOXICITY

Engaging in any of the following actions while using any PGI services is forbidden:
  • Engaging in intimidation tactics or aggravation of other individuals or groups of individuals.
  • Alluding to symbols or phrases of racial, ethnic, national, political, or religious hatred.
  • Encouraging negative behavior toward other individuals, genders, races, religions, nations, or other groups of individuals.
I turned in two players in July and quoted this part of the code of conduct to PGI in my complaint, I haven't seen either player since and haven't noticed any Z's since then either. Anyone supporting Russia's Genocide and War Crimes shames themselves. Hopefully any and every player that puts this on their Mech in support of Russia receives a Perm Ban.

#68 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2022 - 10:44 PM

View PostHolyGrail101, on 29 August 2022 - 04:58 PM, said:

I haven't seen either player since and haven't noticed any Z's since then either.

I saw one yesterday for the very first time. Could have been a twisted N though. Was on a King Crab.

View PostHolyGrail101, on 29 August 2022 - 04:58 PM, said:

Hopefully any and every player that puts this on their Mech in support of Russia receives a Perm Ban.

I wonder who decides whether an individual has put a specific not further named letter on a Mech in support of the war or not.

#69 HolyGrail101

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 05:07 AM

View Postlatinisator, on 29 August 2022 - 10:44 PM, said:

I saw one yesterday for the very first time. Could have been a twisted N though. Was on a King Crab.

I wonder who decides whether an individual has put a specific not further named letter on a Mech in support of the war or not.

That's up to the Admin's.

One of the players I turned in had a team so I asked them if they new what it was and they brought up the fact it "could have meant anything",so I asked the player that had the Z on his Mech and he admitted that I was correct. There were very few Mechs with a solo Z prominently displayed prior to Russia's invasion of Ukraine so I suspect the sheer majority are supporting it. Some players have had it previously because of things like their username or Unit ID, one player brought that up earlier in this thread. If their name was such prior to the war and they know it's being used as a symbol of genocide it's up to them, hateful people can ruin stuff for everyone but the swastika isn't generally viewed as a Buddhist symbol anymore after the {Godwin's Law}'s stole it just like the "Don't tread on me" flag is no longer a symbol of the American Revolution era Boston Tea party.

#70 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 08:18 AM

Maybe so, but as much as I disagree with the Russian side of the conflict, a perma-ban just for the letter Z seems to be overkill. Certainly teamkilling, harassment, and greifing people would be, and that would be an easy call for someone with a "Z" mech doing so to a mech painted blue and yellow (like a few of mine are right now).

#71 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 08:49 AM

still cant fault a russian player for being patriotic. how many countries have the usa invaded in the last 100 years? some for very contrived reasons. are you gonna ban me for painting a mech red white and blue?

#72 HolyGrail101

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 04:55 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 30 August 2022 - 08:18 AM, said:

Maybe so, but as much as I disagree with the Russian side of the conflict, a perma-ban just for the letter Z seems to be overkill. Certainly teamkilling, harassment, and greifing people would be, and that would be an easy call for someone with a "Z" mech doing so to a mech painted blue and yellow (like a few of mine are right now).

There's a difference between supporting a nation and supporting Genocide. I have not turned in players with the Russian flag on their Mechs.

View PostLordNothing, on 30 August 2022 - 08:49 AM, said:

still cant fault a russian player for being patriotic. how many countries have the usa invaded in the last 100 years? some for very contrived reasons. are you gonna ban me for painting a mech red white and blue?

My Red White and Blue Commando is now Blue and Yellow. The U.S.A. has not actively committed a Genocidal war so stop trying to equate what is not equatable. Every post I have read that you have posted in this thread has been to convolute the issue not clarify it. Anyone with a Z on their Mech is fair game to turn into the Admin's for breaking the rules of conduct, it is up to the Admin's to determine if it is a Bannable offense or not.

Edited by HolyGrail101, 31 August 2022 - 05:08 AM.

#73 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 31 August 2022 - 05:12 AM

View PostHolyGrail101, on 31 August 2022 - 04:55 AM, said:

The U.S.A. has not actively committed a Genocidal war so stop trying to equate what is not equatable.

Google "Wounded Knee".

#74 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 11:00 AM

im convinced that the second iraq war was a bush family vendetta. it was easy to roll it into the "war on terror" on trumped up claims of wmds. which i believe is a duty for every sovereign nation to obtain. if ukraine kept theirs, we wouldn't be having this conversation (one way or another). its hard to respect a nation's sovereignty if you outgun them by an order of magnitude or two. north korea has them, and if anyone was going to start lobbing them willy nilly, it would be them. they don't because its suicidal to do so.

its vary naïve to think that the usa is innocent. we have had internment camps, genocides, questionable human rights policies, corruption, we bombed civilians, sometimes with nukes, we have invaded countries and had one very bloody civil war. thats not to say im anti american, quite the contrary im very pro american. im just more honest about our past than most. were not good for not doing bad things, but were good for acknowledging that some of the things we have done have been bad and we have a desire to do better in the future. to quote one of my favorite war movies: "I care... I don't care for a lot of it, but what I care for, I care for a lot."

#75 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 September 2022 - 11:00 AM

No, USA isn't innocent, but standing idly by in the face of an active genocide amounts to condoning it.

#76 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 02:20 PM

i pay taxes which the senate appropriates to ship weapons to ukraine all while sitting on stocks of the military contractors. i effectively do not have a choice in the matter. i can vote for representatives, but it doesnt matter if they get caught up in the typical group think you find in congress.

#77 HolyGrail101

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:25 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 31 August 2022 - 05:12 AM, said:

Google "Wounded Knee".

I'm unsure if you are attempting to change the subject or start a debate on the various types of atrocities committed by different countries but I accept the fact you agree that Russia is currently committing a Genocidal war against the people of Ukraine.

#78 HolyGrail101

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:29 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 01 September 2022 - 11:00 AM, said:

im convinced that the second iraq war was a bush family vendetta. it was easy to roll it into the "war on terror" on trumped up claims of wmds. which i believe is a duty for every sovereign nation to obtain. if ukraine kept theirs, we wouldn't be having this conversation (one way or another). its hard to respect a nation's sovereignty if you outgun them by an order of magnitude or two. north korea has them, and if anyone was going to start lobbing them willy nilly, it would be them. they don't because its suicidal to do so.

its vary naïve to think that the usa is innocent. we have had internment camps, genocides, questionable human rights policies, corruption, we bombed civilians, sometimes with nukes, we have invaded countries and had one very bloody civil war. thats not to say im anti american, quite the contrary im very pro american. im just more honest about our past than most. were not good for not doing bad things, but were good for acknowledging that some of the things we have done have been bad and we have a desire to do better in the future. to quote one of my favorite war movies: "I care... I don't care for a lot of it, but what I care for, I care for a lot."

There is a difference between looking at your countries own faults and constantly switching to subject matter to "But other people do it." Your name says it all about everything else you posted throughout this thread that I have previously read.

We should not accept hateful symbols that are being used to cheer on Genocide or War crimes whomever does it. It not only breaks to Code of Conduct, it is intolerable.

Edited by HolyGrail101, 08 September 2022 - 05:33 AM.

#79 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 01:36 PM

a z is not a swastika. you need to educate yourself about the evil in man's will and realize its not going anywhere no matter how many virtues you signal.

#80 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 September 2022 - 02:25 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 September 2022 - 01:36 PM, said:

a z is not a swastika. you need to educate yourself about the evil in man's will and realize its not going anywhere no matter how many virtues you signal.

Swastika used to be a luck symbol before the {Godwin's Law} adopted it. Now it's primarily associated with racism and mass murder.
Russian army's habit of painting Z's on combat vehicles may be more recent, but it is also quickly becoming associated with similar acts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users