151 replies to this topic

#141 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Aaron, why do you insist on dragging this derailed thread out with a discussion that won't be going anywhere?

I get that you want to get your point across and feel like nobody is listening, but don't try to be the poor "victim" here. And before you ask how I came to that conclusion, your sig speaks volumes about the way you see yourself on this board.

Edited by Stormwolf, 14 January 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#142 Xavier Truscott

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

The basic arguement in this thread is logic vs passion.

Logic: All factions in the game should be accessable by new or old players.

Passion: Only the worthy shall be allowed access to our club.

The problem is simply that the two will never ever meet.

#143 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I saw a post where the OP quoted Aaron. This guy KNOWS I have him ignored yet he is still trying to send me messages; how sad. When the boards did not have specific sections he whined about Clan players. We got our own section & he FOLLOWED us here to dictate terms to us. I told him & will tell you all, I will RP WHEN & WHERE I want. As long as I break no forum rules by making racist, sexist, threatening or other such statements, I have that right. NOBODY is going to tell me I can RP but only here, here hmmmmmmmmmm & maybe here. We have our own section, we are posting here so we are not infringing on any non-Clan territory. You guys keep feeding the troll. Ignore him & do not let him get you riled up. The reason that nobody is listening is because he wants everything on his terms & I am having none of it. Are you guys trying to count the posts he makes until it gets to a certain number to say 'Hmmmmmmmm yes 75 posts definitely a troll." Open your eyes.

#144 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

wasn't this pretty derailed ~4pages ago? when we all moved from talking about the actual post
and onto the topic of entitlement? a just question.

@Xavier, you're right 100%, I should really stop trying to apply logic to irrational fanatics (you've all
proven yourself to be this so I can say it now)

@winson: lol!? where did this Rp thing come from? this topic isn't even about you, get over yourself

@this thread: speculation makes for interesting fireworks O.o

#145 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostXavier Truscott, on 14 January 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

The basic arguement in this thread is logic vs passion.

Logic: All factions in the game should be accessable by new or old players.

Passion: Only the worthy shall be allowed access to our club.

The problem is simply that the two will never ever meet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with the subject at hand. Better yet, I like that people are discussing this.

I however I don't like it when posters start forcing their view on others and aim their critique at the posters rather then subject at hand.

I have adjusted my views somewhat since the mention of Clans and honor in the latest podcast.
Anyway, here's my idea on how Clan players should be introduced into the Clans:

The first batch of players
I think that the first batch of players should be selected by the devs to establish the Clans and how they fight. This would essentially be a trial and error phase to balance the Clans. There are plenty of Clan players around to choose from here.

Open Clan signup
The stage where everybody can sign up. By this point the first batch would have accumulated plenty of "honor points" to gain advantages/goodies/whatever. The prospect of rewards and whatnot would also new players to do the same.

It would ofcourse start with a trial of position which can be retried after a period if you fail at first.

A little bit of RP from the diehard Clan players wouldn't hurt either for people to get a feel for the factions.

Rewards
I think that the honor point rewards should dictate what mechs at what tonnage you can pick. Each new Clan player should start out with a basic selection of mechs until they gained enough honor points. These honor points would unlock a trial of position to gain higher rank.

For a basic selection I had the following in mind:
Ghost Bear: Fire Moth, Viper, Mad Dog, Summoner
Jade Falcon: Kit Fox, Black Hawk, Hellbringer, Summoner
Smoke Jaguar: Mist Lynx, Storm Crow, Mad Dog, Ebon Jaguar (it's produced in 3049)
Wolf: Adder, Ice Ferret, Timber wolf, Gargoyle
Nova Cat: Arctic Cheetah, Shadow Cat, Huntsman, Summoner
Steel Viper: Mist Lynx, Battle Cobra, Crossbow, Gargoyle

There would also be a fifth pick that is randomly generated (from the relevant RAT for that Clan).

A higher rank would allow for a wider selection, at Star Captain you could pilot a Dire Wolf.

Trials
Yeah, kinda important. Along the road we should have trials of possession, getting people to know those will be a right step towards Clan play style.
Gaining a bloodname would be the big reward to unlock ranks beyond Star Captain (again unlock by honor points).

#146 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

the actual execution of your idea may get tricky; but seems fair.
I think a lot of the mech selection and role stuff will be solidified when the game comes
out because then the devs will IS performance as a baseline.

My only gripe is the 'initial batch' approach, that is unnecessary - the rest of the proposal
checks out.

#147 Xavier Truscott

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

First batch selected from the "clanners" that already are in the game?

Trials to get into our club?

Restricting usage of mechs until you meet qualifications according to trials or rank?

Pretty sure the devs stated that all mechs will be available to all players. With regards to the clans, i would be inclined to believe that if you join a clan, all clan mechs would be available to all clan players with IS only having a chance at one if there were salvage rules in effect, or later in the campaign for high markup price on the market.

Choice of faction is something you will get when you make your first pilot. It should not be something you have to play a lone wolf until you qualify for, or join a faction or merc unit to pass the time until you can pass a test.

So, i would have to say that neither of us budged much, you want something that you and your gaming group would be proud of, i want something that anyone who logs in has the same opportunity to experience. It is very unlikely that either of us will change our positions.

#148 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 14 January 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

the actual execution of your idea may get tricky; but seems fair.
I think a lot of the mech selection and role stuff will be solidified when the game comes
out because then the devs will IS performance as a baseline.

My only gripe is the 'initial batch' approach, that is unnecessary - the rest of the proposal
checks out.

Well thank you.

View PostXavier Truscott, on 14 January 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

First batch selected from the "clanners" that already are in the game?

It's a testing phase, it needs to start some time.

Trials to get into our club?

You can retrial, it would also unlock more mechs from the start if you got Star Commander or Star Captain.

Restricting usage of mechs until you meet qualifications according to trials or rank?

Mechwarrior Bob can't requisition a mech like Star Colonel Steve Pryde does. Mechs don't grow on trees, he can however get a faction mech or trial somebody for their mech.

Pretty sure the devs stated that all mechs will be available to all players. With regards to the clans, i would be inclined to believe that if you join a clan, all clan mechs would be available to all clan players with IS only having a chance at one if there were salvage rules in effect, or later in the campaign for high markup price on the market.

They still filter them out by faction, loyalty points would give more access to mechs and equipment. So it would be the same deal with the Clans.

Choice of faction is something you will get when you make your first pilot. It should not be something you have to play a lone wolf until you qualify for, or join a faction or merc unit to pass the time until you can pass a test.

It was a idea, the trial is merely there to establish if you can potentially unlock more mechs. Almost anybody should be able to win a 1 on 1.
They'd be mincemeat in a 5 vs 10 battle if they couldn't.

So, i would have to say that neither of us budged much, you want something that you and your gaming group would be proud of, i want something that anyone who logs in has the same opportunity to experience. It is very unlikely that either of us will change our positions.

I have a gaming group?

Clans are alien enough to be played differently from the IS houses. Now that I think about it, Mercs and Houses should also be different from each other in play style. Mercs should be more dependant on cash then House mechwarriors.

I feel that this game is going to be far more a "life in the Battletech universe" then a first person shooter with mech skins.

#149 Xavier Truscott

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 14 January 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

I feel that this game is going to be far more a "life in the Battletech universe" then a first person shooter with mech skins.

I guess that is our main difference of position on this topic, I want to see a game that anyone can take part in and enjoy, you already have luggage packed and ready to jump on the first dropship off this planet.

#150 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostXavier Truscott, on 14 January 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

I guess that is our main difference of position on this topic, I want to see a game that anyone can take part in and enjoy, you already have luggage packed and ready to jump on the first dropship off this planet.

Why is that a bad thing?

We already have daily ISN messages, the creators are putting in a lot of effort to insert some of the pre 3049 lore.
Otherwise it would have just been, here's a bunch of mechs, enjoy!

Somebody at the classicbattletech.com board once posted that playing only equal BV lance vs lance battles are a waste of a good background. He was absolutely right, there is a massive universe out there for people to explore. It would be a waste to make everything the same.

Battletech would have gone the way of the dodo back in the 80's if they hadn't had a interesting backstory back then.

#151 Phelan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPreparing for battle in Wolf Occupation Zone...

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Aff. Stormwolf I really like your ideas Trothkin. You basically touched on what I was going to today.

#152 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

I would like to see something along these lines, especially the ToP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users