Only One Medium Mech Family

23 replies to this topic

#1 STEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:28 AM

Hey, I’m just rediscovering the game this month and I’m trying to figure out a single mech chassis type and it’s variants to buy. I’m looking for something that has variants that can fit as many roles as possible and that are pretty decent.

I’m mostly wondering - if you could only choose one mech and it’s variants to play forever which one would you choose? Trying to go deep in one type! Anything anyone recommends or is an expert at?

Edited by STEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU, 19 August 2022 - 03:39 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:29 AM

View PostSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU, on 19 August 2022 - 03:28 AM, said:

Hey

Hello!

Only One Medium Mech Family

Care to add some details?

#3 STEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:31 AM

For some reason it cut off everything after the hey… I updated it!

Edit again: it was the emoji that it didn’t like

Edited by STEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU, 19 August 2022 - 03:34 AM.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:34 AM

Hey, I’m just rediscovering the game this month and I’m trying to figure out a single mech chassis type and it’s variants to buy. I’m looking for something that has variants that can fit as many roles as possible.

I’m mostly wondering - if you could only choose one mech and it’s variants to play forever which one would you choose? Trying to go deep in one type!

Clan or Inner Sphere?

Fast(ish) or relatively slower?

#5 STEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:38 AM

I think clan since I have more clan weapons right now. Unless an IS comes to mind more.

Is there anything that has a good fast build and a variant that can fit a good slow build?

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:58 AM

View PostSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU, on 19 August 2022 - 03:38 AM, said:

I think clan since I have more clan weapons right now. Unless an IS comes to mind more.

O.K.

View PostSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU, on 19 August 2022 - 03:38 AM, said:

Is there anything that has a good fast build and a variant that can fit a good slow build?

Essentially, there are three Clan 'Mechs that you could consider:

a) Hunchback IIC
The default Hunchback IIC can boat ballistic weapons, Hunchback IIC-A can boat energy weapons and Hunchback IIC-B can boat missile weapons. With the largest engine those 'Mechs can go 89 km/h. Nice shoulder-high hardpoints are plus.

b) Huntsman.
This OmniMech goes 81 km/h in all its variants thanks its hard-wired engine, but it is really verstile. You can switch OmniPods as you see fit to create loadouts that would best suit your needs. It has hard wired jump jets, that can not be removed, but thos JJs offer a nice mobility.

c) Stormcrow
It goes 97 km/h thanks its hard-wired engine. It offer higher ground speed, but it can not mount jump jets. Again, OmniPods give it a good versatility.

d) Vapor Eagle
Not a bad 'Mech, but it usually has a hodge-podge of various hardpoints in all it variants.

There are other Clan medium 'Mechs available, but those are often "niche" 'Mechs.

Could you describe what your medium 'Mechs should do?

#7 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 19 August 2022 - 06:27 AM

A warm welcome to MWO!

Slightly off topic: personally for anyone returning to MWO, I would recommend playing with Heavy mechs.
~More armor; more forgiving of your mistakes
~Still relatively fast, easy to get around for better positioning
~Clan has lots of laser weapons to play with!

As such, if you're willing entertain Clan Heavy mechs:
https://grimmechs.is...ts?list=general
https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechs

Hellbringer (any variant, preferably Hero with +Cbills bonus): 81kph, laser vomit, can equip ECM
Linebacker, with laser vomit, 97kph for Heavy!
Rifleman IIC, RFL-IIC-2 weapons AC2 boat, 56kph

For OmniMechs (Hellbringer, Linebacker, Timber Wolf, etc.) one cannot change the engine size.

For other mechs (Rifleman IIC, Vapor Eagle, etc.) which are not Omnimechs, you can change engine size!

Do have fun choosing your mech! ;)

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 19 August 2022 - 07:38 AM

I almost exclusively play medium mechs, 99% of the time inner sphere medium mechs specifically.

Vulcan's are basically light weight mediums but I own almost every single one including the hero, most have excellent quirks and they are very diverse, albeit squishy due to only being forty tonners.

Conversely I also own almost every Kintaro, but they only really do energy or missiles and lack jump jets making them far less diverse, but at 55 tons they are tough as nails.

Dervish is another good 55 tonner I enjoy but I only own a couple right now (frenzy and 6M) but are basically jump jet capable kintaro's so the diversity is a bit lacking, no ballistic hardpoints to be found.

#9 STEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:18 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and recommendations! After looking at some of mounting capabilities and pictures for the Hunchback IIC, Huntsman, Stormcrow, Dervish, and Vulcan, I think I will go for collecting all the Hunchback IIC variants. It seems the hardpoints are at cockpit level and high up, seems nice. It has a variant for ballistics, missiles, and lasers too. The Vulcan was very tempting, and maybe next after I finish the Hunchback IIC!

I'll eventually move into a new heavy, but years ago I had bought 4 catapults, so I'll work on those first.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:59 AM

View PostSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU, on 19 August 2022 - 10:18 AM, said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and recommendations! After looking at some of mounting capabilities and pictures for the Hunchback IIC, Huntsman, Stormcrow, Dervish, and Vulcan, I think I will go for collecting all the Hunchback IIC variants. It seems the hardpoints are at cockpit level and high up, seems nice. It has a variant for ballistics, missiles, and lasers too. The Vulcan was very tempting, and maybe next after I finish the Hunchback IIC!

I'll eventually move into a new heavy, but years ago I had bought 4 catapults, so I'll work on those first.

Good choice! Hunchback IIC is a solid 'Mech.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 August 2022 - 12:25 PM

I, personally, would forever stay with the Huntsmen. I have a lot of different builds for it. It can fill a lot of roles. It's got jump. Moves at a good moderate speed, neither fast nor slow. it also looks amazing.

However, there are so many flavors of medium mechs, I honestly can't recommend a single choice to "rule them all". I own so many medium mechs, but I do play the Huntsmen the most. (Most of my owned mechs are mediums to be honest.)

#12 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:32 PM

OK i can put 2 cents in here, sorry i am and old FART.

First off you need a heavy, and what is the easy build, for types is a TIMBERWOLF, c is the base model, best to use is LAZER VOMIT, but can use many designs, i own 9 of them, some you wish you could build, so lazer vomit first, them 4 LBX 2 and 4 med lazer so you can piss folks off LOL. -- on and on.
2ND choose what be a VIPER med mech ---- but high speed med lazers, and machine guns, you can run with LIGHTS and at plus 120, the key too the VIPER is you have fully armor it up, it is a great learning mech : )
When you are ready we can TALK about the LIGHT CLASS, but that will take a few weeks or months : )

SAWK CLANNER

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 August 2022 - 04:54 PM

I’ll take my Centurions up against a Hunchback IIc any day. Massive quirks and massive armor and a sexy silhouette. Posted Image Gimme that LBX/10 autocannon that fires 3-4 times for each time you fire your lasers any day, and back it up with MRMs and lasers and 150% the armor and structure of the same-weight Hunchie IIc. Posted Image

#14 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:21 PM

If you ever decide to go IS, you can’t go far wrong with the Bushwacker.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#15 STEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHUSTEPHENCHU

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:46 PM

A few days of playing with the HBK-IIC, makes me appreciate the nice high hardpoints! I picked up a bushwacker also, but I'm probably playing it wrong, but it seems so squishy. Anyways, thanks for the recommendations everyone!

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 August 2022 - 12:36 AM

Bushwhackers are pretty hard to kill for their size - you probably just got focus fired. My favorite Clan Medium is my Pakhet, the Huntsman Hero, but the Clan Battlemechs (as opposed to Omis) get the benefits of Clan weapons and upgrades without the drawbacks of limited space, so they're great choices - at one time the Hunchback IIC was one of the poster children for this phenomenon, necessitating some nerfs (if I recall.)

For the Inner Sphere, I have a special place in my heart for Shadow Hawks and Hunchbacks, but since the game doesn't make you "master" a chassis by picking up useless, er, I mean unpopular variants any more, there's no reason to shackle yourself to just one variant of any chassis.

#17 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 August 2022 - 05:28 AM

the IS hunchback is also a good one that has a verity of variants. its a hardy mech as well. not the fastest but that is true for most IS mechs when compared to Clan.

#18 Psibelius

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 November 2022 - 10:28 PM

My personal favorite is the Uziel, with the Griffin and Hunchback IIC tied for second.

#19 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 November 2022 - 06:44 AM

The Uziel certainly looks cool, but I’ve found it’s hit boxes lean toward the “unforgiving death trap” end of the scale. Best config I’ve done in them is PPC pop tarting.

#20 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 24 November 2022 - 07:44 AM

What about the Nova? Need some learning not to boil yourself instantly but it could carry extreme loadouts for it's size and class (12 cER Med-lazorz?! Insane!).
Otherwise Huntsman and Stormcrow are both fancy bases for any kind of builds fits fer U. The Stormcrow mayhaps seems a bit more durable in toe-to-toe brawl against pestering dash-n-slash buggers...

The Uziel certainly looks cool

IMO Uziel is one of the ugliest mechs ever appeared in BattleTech perhaps bested only by the Yeoman (Some canopian designs also plain ugly)...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users