Teams

62 replies to this topic

#21 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:39 AM

View PostExpfighter, on 17 September 2022 - 07:47 PM, said:

Can we PLEASE do something about TEAMS in matches? tired of being matched up against 3 and 4 man teams all running lights. they are well coordinated via outside commo and they make a team of solos just QUIT the game after being devastated 12-0.

If they want to team up like that, make them wait until a match of full teams is available

I just made a thread in feature suggestions titled 'Zero Rewards For Groups'

It's just an idea to tip the balance towards encouraging more solo play.

Maybe it's crazy, maybe it's a start?

#22 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:35 PM

View PostStab Wound, on 21 September 2022 - 10:39 AM, said:

I just made a thread in feature suggestions titled 'Zero Rewards For Groups'

It's just an idea to tip the balance towards encouraging more solo play.

Maybe it's crazy, maybe it's a start?

I vote for crazy.

#23 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 03:30 AM

View PostCurccu, on 21 September 2022 - 11:35 PM, said:

I vote for crazy.

Me too!

I just got reminded why! Posted Image

#24 Kriegson

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 04:27 AM

View Postmartian, on 17 September 2022 - 10:31 PM, said:

PGI sides with the premades. Therefore, it is unlikely that they will remove them from the Quick Play.

Actually, some time ago PGI developer said explicitly that he knows that solo players will not like being farmed by premades ... and that he does not care.

It's harsh but this comes from a solo player;
Communities are why this game still exists. If the experience is better for a team of 4 who regularly get on to play than it is for the random solos who join for a month before leaving, then so be it.

#25 Dr Wubs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 05:00 AM

View PostCurccu, on 21 September 2022 - 02:52 AM, said:

What if T4-5 player recruits some friends to try this game and of course it makes sense to them to play together and they are thrown into T3 match?

Tier 3 is fine for new players. PGI says so.

#26 Dr Wubs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 05:49 AM

View PostGagis, on 21 September 2022 - 02:56 AM, said:

The overpowered players in tier 5 are usually legitimate new players who, being actually new, are willing to learn and don't already think they know everything, so they learn and rise to high tiers super fast.

Old players stuck there would too, if they could accept that they are doing things wrong.

You know all about it because you smurf drop there.

#27 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:08 AM

View PostDr Wubs, on 22 September 2022 - 05:49 AM, said:

You know all about it because you smurf drop there.

Some people claimed at start of summer that there isn't much difference in T5 than T1, had to try it for 17 games and limited myself to trial lights and Urbies... I didn't enjoy seal clubbing and got enough evidence that there is massive difference if I play T1 or T5 matches.

#28 XenoWraith

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 12:27 PM

View PostCurccu, on 22 September 2022 - 06:08 AM, said:

Some people claimed at start of summer that there isn't much difference in T5 than T1, had to try it for 17 games and limited myself to trial lights and Urbies... I didn't enjoy seal clubbing and got enough evidence that there is massive difference if I play T1 or T5 matches.

17 games isn’t enough. The problem is that some tier 5 player somehow stumbles across a mech that’s good for the tier, plays it all the way to tier 3 (the point where that player will see all of the tiers), and then get stomped on repeatedly because their build is really bad or has formed bad habits or something to that effect and then proceeds to complain. For that player to have made it to tier 3 normally requires for said player to figure out all the basic fundamentals but that doesn’t happen realistically and the worst part is they might have been running a good build on the internet but has failed to understand why it works and plays it badly.

#29 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 September 2022 - 12:39 PM

Its almost always habits. A good player can put up good numbers with a weird mech, but if they're making a consistent tactical error, then the mech doesn't matter. Much. Posted Image

#30 XenoWraith

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:42 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 22 September 2022 - 12:39 PM, said:

Its almost always habits. A good player can put up good numbers with a weird mech, but if they're making a consistent tactical error, then the mech doesn't matter. Much. Posted Image

Almost always though. I get a good laugh I see one of these threads and I must resist the urge to ask what kind of habits do they have.

#31 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:30 PM

what if groups could only drop in fw. that IS supposed to be the group centric, tryhard mode after all.....

#32 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:46 PM

not every team is good. some of them are sacks of taters.

#33 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:42 PM

The merging of group queue was because the player base was too small that fragmenting it across modes and queues was not working at all for match wait times.

Some people want to play alone. Many people want the option to drop with a few friends ocassionally. Sometimes a few friends and a few drinks. Maybe a lot of drinks.

Yeah, some people get super salty at the idea of groups. I suspect their saltiness is far outweighed by the people who like the option to group if they wish.

#34 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:57 PM

View PostXenoWraith, on 22 September 2022 - 12:27 PM, said:

17 games isn’t enough.

17 games isn't enough for me to see that there is massive difference in skill in T5 and T1? I think it is.
Like I said played only trial lights and bought an Urbie and skilled it as I got XP so it isn't even now fully skilled, Yet 99,77 percentile performance. I think that is proof enough.

#35 Runecarver

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:44 AM

View PostCurccu, on 20 September 2022 - 10:22 AM, said:

Group queue was super fun you got to play against other formidable groups. It died because Russ said this game is going to maintenance mode and after that loooads of players quit the game for good.

It was dying before that. Not that it was ever anywhere near as popular as regular quick play (solo) queue. Because group queue had much laxer tier limits, you regularly had beginners or more casual players, playing with their friends going up against sweatlords with fully tuned out mechs, stomping on them again and again. That disincentivized more and more people to not play group queue. To the point that you started to hear complaints about the queue being dead. Maintenance mode simply delivered the killing blow.

And then queues were merged, and now at the expense of the average solo players experience you once again have groups ruining the game for everyone else.

#36 XenoWraith

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:43 AM

View PostCurccu, on 22 September 2022 - 11:57 PM, said:

17 games isn't enough for me to see that there is massive difference in skill in T5 and T1? I think it is.
Like I said played only trial lights and bought an Urbie and skilled it as I got XP so it isn't even now fully skilled, Yet 99,77 percentile performance. I think that is proof enough.

It’s not enough in fact that is a small sample size. Also like some else has said some players are just bad. Anyway at the end everyone is at the mercy of the matchmaker and sometimes the matchmaker just does not want you to have decent games which is also why 17 games isn’t enough. You could just have a streak of good fortune and that does happen quite often.

#37 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:54 AM

View PostXenoWraith, on 23 September 2022 - 06:43 AM, said:

It’s not enough in fact that is a small sample size. Also like some else has said some players are just bad. Anyway at the end everyone is at the mercy of the matchmaker and sometimes the matchmaker just does not want you to have decent games which is also why 17 games isn’t enough. You could just have a streak of good fortune and that does happen quite often.

How many smurf accounts I have to make to stay @ T5 to prove that T5 is super easy compared to T1? As I fly out of T5 to T4 in few games with unskilled urbie or trial light mechs.

#38 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:31 AM

How quickly we forget.

The Group Queue killed itself. There were 4 to 6, eight to twelve man pre-mades dominating it in prime time, coming up against two to four man pre-mades lumped together not much better than PUGs. I advocated for years for some way to let smaller groups play without nearly constantly playing against large premades with nearly constant 12 to 0-2 outcomes. Nothing was ever done. Then group queue wait times climbed into the 30 min mark for a match as people dropped out and then, it... died. Just as predicted. MWO player numbers plummeted to a ridiculously low number. It was only then that PGI felt the need to do something to stop the slide in player numbers and only months after Group queue died, they made the soup queue.

You haven't seen seal clubbing until you try to run PUGs against practiced 12 mans with complimentary builds.

The issue is not with small groups. The issue is with match-maker. It has always been with match-maker and the low population playing. It doesn't have enough players to build tiered levels before the safeties let go and it lumps tiers together so people are not waiting forever. It does not consider builds. It does not consider tonnage. That makes for some colossally lopsided matches from random chance.

Shot callers do more to help wins than anything else in this game. If you don't want to be a shot caller, don't whine in the match.

View Postevil kerensky, on 22 September 2022 - 08:30 PM, said:

what if groups could only drop in fw. that IS supposed to be the group centric, tryhard mode after all.....

Except, FW was a complete dud. No one cares to play it.

Edited by Haipyng, 23 September 2022 - 09:33 AM.

#39 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:22 AM

View PostGlymbol, on 20 September 2022 - 04:40 AM, said:

Addition of groups to QP wasn't necessary. The solo queue did fine before, it would still be fine after closing of group queue.

Grouped players need solo players, because there aren't enough groups to play this game. Solo players however don't need groups in Quick Play at all.

MWO was in a major decline for years before the addition of groups.
The population decline has been reversed since the addition of groups both for total players and new players per season.
https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

Now is adding groups to the QP que causing the increase - I don't know. But fundamentally MWO was failing 'as it was' it's doing better now. Causation of the upswing can be argued, it's previous decline is inarguable.

I can say personally the only reason my son plays is because he gets to play with me. I've also asked friends who used to play but haven't for years to play again with me and my son in a group. The vast majority of my matches are solo (99.5%) but grouping allows me to get others who wouldn't play to play the game.

#40 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:49 PM

this game is simply in bad hands. instead of providing a proper, modern successor they flood us with mech packs and events for amateurs without a slight challange.

it's turning more and more into a crappy mobile game

Edited by Quandoo, 23 September 2022 - 02:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users