Terra Therma Classic First Impressions

Maps

57 replies to this topic

#41 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:45 AM

I quite enjoy it, though when I fell down a hole and ended up on the lower level I was out of the latter half of the match during one of my matches on it.

#42 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:45 AM

Looks nice, but not my thing so far.

Hot, dark, and jagged terrain tripping my legs up are always points against any map, and you notice all these things about thirty seconds into playing this map. The multi-level play isn't yet causing me to be backstabbed as often as on Rubellite, but I'm getting the feeling once the greasy backstabbers learn the map better, I may get turned off the map entirely.

I'll put in time this weekend on the EQ though, and maybe change my early impressions for the better.

#43 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:03 PM

View PostPerichrone, on 23 September 2022 - 09:43 AM, said:

have people mentioned you can shove your face into the columns in the basement ( i havent checked other geometry) to see through and get free wallhacks
Posted Image

Confirmed. Posted Image

#44 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:45 PM

I like it in concept but not execution. Needs a lot of rough edges smoothed out.

#45 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:06 PM

First impressions? Its literally the worst map I have ever played.
Its like they made an effort to make the most annoying map possible.
Its hot dark, designed for snipers and the the domination circle is
actually inside the stonehenge so its sniper fest all the way.
Better still there all sorts of near invisible rock ledges to trip you up
and invisible holes to drop into.
Old Polar highlands its better than this crap.

Edited by Vonbach, 23 September 2022 - 08:01 PM.

#46 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 01:27 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 23 September 2022 - 03:45 PM, said:

I like it in concept but not execution. Needs a lot of rough edges smoothed out.

So the usual PGI's problem? Good idea, but horribly executed? Posted Image

View PostBrizna, on 23 September 2022 - 05:48 AM, said:

Not only the stupid caldera is missing but it's been substituted with 2 floors, the top one a falsely flat area filled with knee high traps, saying that moving there is frustrating is an understatement.

I imagine hoping for the real Terra Therma (classic) is too much, but a flattening of the top floor is a must. Knee high obstacles can only be put into this game by someone who clearly doesn't play it. It's basically the definition of frustration.

I remember Russ Bullock admitting some time ago that does not play his own game. He prefers World of Tanks .... Posted Image

View PostScout Derek, on 21 September 2022 - 07:18 PM, said:

Good map, center top needs a bit more cover, not hard cover, but soft, too bad you get stuck sometimes in some of the worst places you didn't think possible.

I wonder who is going to iron out those bugged spots, since François left PGI a few weeks ago. Posted Image

#47 Muz0079

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 01:35 AM

My thoughts:
Its a bit dark, but then again... so was the original.
I think the map layout itself suffers from the same issues as vitric in that some effort has been made to put in a "brawl arena" but in reality there are just too many open sight lines to it so it just becomes another snipefest.

The main issue however is that Francois leaving PGI is really noticeable - the quality of the final product is below what would normally be expected for a new map ie it would normally have gone through several cycles of testing, QA and bug fixing by the designer before release. This one is at a point where if you are in a heavy or assault then you have to bring Jump Jets just to ensure you dont get stuck on the terrain (and even that doesn't work sometimes). Also true for the bugged columns in the cavern which you can see through if you hug them.

#48 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 September 2022 - 07:08 AM

A while back i switched my most used mechs out for ones that jump, move 70-90 kph, and can inflict meaningful damage at 500-800 meters. A mech like that doesn’t care what map it drops on. With that build strategy in mind, Terra Therma is a fine map. You don’t have to enter the ankle-destroying center to fight across it, and you can take full advantage of all the slopes and paths in the outlying areas.

It really is an excellent map except for the center. Trouble is, between Domination as a game mode and the mob mentality of quick play… everyone always rushes to the center of the map to fight there. If teams would just fight to either SIDE of the center, there’s a lot of interesting terrain to battle in. Pity.

#49 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:13 AM

View PostMuz0079, on 24 September 2022 - 01:35 AM, said:

The main issue however is that Francois leaving PGI is really noticeable - the quality of the final product is below what would normally be expected for a new map ie it would normally have gone through several cycles of testing, QA and bug fixing by the designer before release. This one is at a point where if you are in a heavy or assault then you have to bring Jump Jets just to ensure you dont get stuck on the terrain (and even that doesn't work sometimes). Also true for the bugged columns in the cavern which you can see through if you hug them.

Do you remember the Vitric Station map, i.e. the only MWO map where painting your BattleMech the "Impossible Pink" colour was your best tactical move? Posted Image

#50 Malystryx VoF

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDarkest depths of your Soul

Posted 24 September 2022 - 01:17 PM

Map is awfully designed in the middle... the small overlapping stone plates and cracks all over the place (both up top, and at the bottom) are horrendous!!

Domination on this map is very poorly designed... no way to get up top without having to completely leave the circle for a long period of time to look for a ramp up.

i've gotten stuck in those cracks multiple times already both up top and downstairs. Killed myself twice already in a light on the bottom near Theta because i got stuck in a crack, and started bouncing up and down like crazy and legged myself within seconds.

PLEASE FIX THIS ****!

Edited by Malystryx VoF, 24 September 2022 - 01:18 PM.

#51 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 September 2022 - 02:50 PM

for the most part i do enjoy the new map.

now the there are only 2 real downsides i see.

1-- this is the worst of the two and that is the overlapping plates on the top lvl, you get stuck on them WAY to often

2-- not as big an issue but it takes forever to get to the fight if you are in a slow Assault mech

#52 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 12:53 AM

This thread has been moved to the recently created map feedback subsection for Terra Therma (Classic)

#53 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 September 2022 - 05:53 PM

After playing it a few times i'm sorry to say it sucks..

Its Massive.. So in a Heavy or Assault or anything slow its a nightmare to relocate due to the hills and terrain, and the its takes way to long to get to the center. Also the fact the terrain isn't flat in places its very easy to get stuck and killed by the enemy, Anything without jump jets is chore to use here.

Looks great terrible to play in sadly, and as the map guy is gone i'm guessing this will never get fixed.. I'm not going to vote for this map sorry guys and girls.

#54 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:39 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 28 September 2022 - 05:53 PM, said:

After playing it a few times i'm sorry to say it sucks..

After completing the last weekend's challenge on this map, I say I kinda like it.

Check this link, please: Terra Therma Classic Event

Its Massive.. So in a Heavy or Assault or anything slow its a nightmare to relocate due to the hills and terrain, and the its takes way to long to get to the center. Also the fact the terrain isn't flat in places its very easy to get stuck and killed by the enemy, Anything without jump jets is chore to use here.

I used the jumpjet-less Marauder IIC on Terra Therma Classic and I had no insurmountable problems when using this 'Mech.

Posted Image

Looks great terrible to play in sadly, and as the map guy is gone i'm guessing this will never get fixed.. I'm not going to vote for this map sorry guys and girls.

Do not worry. I am going to vote for this map for you, every time it is offered.. Posted Image

Posted Image

See? No problem. Posted Image

#55 Pilotshark

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUnder heavy enemy fire

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

What is classic about this map? It bears little to no resemblance to the original. Please bring back the actual original "classic" terra therma. This is not an improvement. If not, please drop the word "classic".

#56 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:17 PM

View PostPilotshark, on 29 September 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

What is classic about this map? It bears little to no resemblance to the original. .... If not, please drop the word "classic".

I agree that calling this map "Classic" is not the best choice.

View PostPilotshark, on 29 September 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

Please bring back the actual original "classic" terra therma. This is not an improvement.

The original Terra Therma sucked pretty much. Do not you remember all those games when your team spent 10 minutes camping inside the caldera, not daring to go outside, and the enemy team spent 10 minutes camping outside the caldera, not daring to go inside?

#57 Pilotshark

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUnder heavy enemy fire

Posted 03 October 2022 - 05:13 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 September 2022 - 08:17 PM, said:

I agree that calling this map "Classic" is not the best choice.

The original Terra Therma sucked pretty much. Do not you remember all those games when your team spent 10 minutes camping inside the caldera, not daring to go outside, and the enemy team spent 10 minutes camping outside the caldera, not daring to go inside?

I played it plenty and enjoyed the fact that the occasional skirmish outside the center, especially during conquest was a blast. besides, this is not really a re-release as much as it is a redesign and totally different while calling it "classic"

Edited by Pilotshark, 03 October 2022 - 05:14 PM.

#58 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 762 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 04 October 2022 - 09:40 AM

View Postklozz, on 21 September 2022 - 01:40 PM, said:

People stuck at

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've found that hole also...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users