Why Is No More 1V1 Match?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Ura238

Rookie

• Corporal
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 05:28 PM

why is no more 1v1 match? is miss this so much!

#2 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:44 PM

A handful of people played the mode, because it was overly complicated, no free for all, and not particularly interesting. This meant all the season rewards went to the same handful of people over and over, if there was even enough people playing to fill out the reward list.

The better question would be- why is it still in the name of the game if it's no longer even a mode?

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 10:02 PM

View PostUra238, on 04 November 2022 - 05:28 PM, said:

why is no more 1v1 match? is miss this so much!

PGI removed the Solaris 7 game mode a few months ago because the majority of the player base refused to play it.

Essentially, the Solaris 7 mode was just another PGI's colossal misstep.

But you can still create your personal private lobby and invite your friend to play with you there. If you wish, you can even use those Solaris 7 maps for your games.

#4 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 November 2022 - 07:39 AM

A free-for-all would have kept it alive for sure, but incredibly, apparently the game code / cryengine only supports the concept of two opposing teams. You really have to wonder how on Earth that's possible.

#5 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 November 2022 - 08:51 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 November 2022 - 07:39 AM, said:

A free-for-all would have kept it alive for sure, but incredibly, apparently the game code / cryengine only supports the concept of two opposing teams. You really have to wonder how on Earth that's possible.

Because PGI built MWO on a beta build of Cryengine 3, they only went into "full release" because crytek wanted their licensing fees paid in full, and because the revolving door of engine programmers meant anyone who knew how the original spaghetti code actually worked left the company a decade ago. Additionally because its a beta build of a now deprecated version of Cryengine, PGI likely receives little to no actual technical support from crytek (who i believe were themselves in dire straits not too long ago).

Remember when HPG manifold first came out and we wanted to know why they couldn't do different gravity levels and have weapons behave differently? The best theory as to why they couldn't is that nobody in the programming team dared to touch the code base for weapons. They had no idea what would come undone if they dared to pull on the wrong thread.

Edited by pbiggz, 07 November 2022 - 08:53 AM.

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:29 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 07 November 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

Because PGI built MWO on a beta build of Cryengine 3, they only went into "full release" because crytek wanted their licensing fees paid in full, and because the revolving door of engine programmers meant anyone who knew how the original spaghetti code actually worked left the company a decade ago. Additionally because its a beta build of a now deprecated version of Cryengine, PGI likely receives little to no actual technical support from crytek (who i believe were themselves in dire straits not too long ago).

Remember when HPG manifold first came out and we wanted to know why they couldn't do different gravity levels and have weapons behave differently? The best theory as to why they couldn't is that nobody in the programming team dared to touch the code base for weapons. They had no idea what would come undone if they dared to pull on the wrong thread.

It's just a bit funny because in some ways it's actually harder (and certainly more error prone) to code for a specific number of teams in such a way that the limit cannot be changed. You're essentially declaring data structures for team A and team B, instead of an array of N teams. You then have to make sure all operations are applied to both team A and team B throughout your code, instead of just operating on all structures in your array... Unless the limit is in how data is structured when sending packets. That'd be wacky AF. In any case, I would really love to hear the technical explanation as to why.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:34 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 November 2022 - 10:29 AM, said:

In any case, I would really love to hear the technical explanation as to why.

There are not many employees (especially with some technical knowledge) still left in the PGI's MWO staff. I guess that Matt Newman would be your best bet.

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 November 2022 - 05:39 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 November 2022 - 07:39 AM, said:

I'm guessing PGI might have been in a big hurry to get the barebones of a game running quickly and this might have been a technical limitation created by that rush, but that's just speculation on my part. Or at the very least, they never planned for a free-for-all and didn't factor that into their engine choice. I'm sure they regret picking CryEngine with all the trouble they've had with it.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 09:32 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 07 November 2022 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'm guessing PGI might have been in a big hurry to get the barebones of a game running quickly and this might have been a technical limitation created by that rush, but that's just speculation on my part. Or at the very least, they never planned for a free-for-all and didn't factor that into their engine choice. I'm sure they regret picking CryEngine with all the trouble they've had with it.

It is hard to say. We can not ask Russ Bullock, since he was last active on this forums years ago ... Posted Image

#10 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 07:56 AM

View Postmartian, on 07 November 2022 - 09:32 PM, said:

It is hard to say. We can not ask Russ Bullock, since he was last active on this forums years ago ... Posted Image

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:44 AM

View PostCurccu, on 08 November 2022 - 07:56 AM, said:

You can contact him on Twitter, if you wish. Russ Bullock is not a frequent visitor of this forums.

#12 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 10:00 AM

View Postmartian, on 08 November 2022 - 09:44 AM, said:

You can contact him on Twitter, if you wish. Russ Bullock is not a frequent visitor of this forums.

I don't and won't have Twitter account or need to contact him, but you said "We can not ask Russ Bullock" and I gave you means how to ask if you or anyone else really wants to.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 10:21 AM

View PostCurccu, on 08 November 2022 - 10:00 AM, said:

I don't and won't have Twitter account or need to contact him, but you said "We can not ask Russ Bullock" and I gave you means how to ask if you or anyone else really wants to.

And the sentence continued "since he was last active on this forums years ago ..."

So obviously I was talking about the forums.

Of course, you - or any other player - can contact him any way you see fit, whenever you see fit, now or in the future.

#14 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:37 PM

You can [Create_Private_Lobby] to play 1vs1 or with any number of your friends!
(No rewards for playing this mode though...)

In MechLab:
[Group_Icon]>>[Create_Private_Lobby]

#15 Ura238

Rookie

• Corporal
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 04:11 PM

View Postw0qj, on 08 November 2022 - 03:37 PM, said:

You can [Create_Private_Lobby] to play 1vs1 or with any number of your friends!
(No rewards for playing this mode though...)

In MechLab:
[Group_Icon]>>[Create_Private_Lobby]

I don't have any friends who play this game, I wanted random 1 vs 1 games with random people.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:10 PM

View PostUra238, on 08 November 2022 - 04:11 PM, said:

I don't have any friends who play this game, I wanted random 1 vs 1 games with random people.

You are out of luck, then. I do not think that PGI will revive Solaris 7. Event queue events usually last a few days.

Edited by martian, 08 November 2022 - 09:48 PM.

#17 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:46 PM

We recently did have a Solaris7 Event (aka Battle of the Heavyweight Weekend Event),
where it was 1vs1, you can ask for more of this in the future! Posted Image

[Edit: I personally think it was fun, and would like more of this Solaris7 Event in the future!]

Edited by w0qj, 08 November 2022 - 09:57 PM.

#18 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:05 AM

They could definitely have a Solaris 1v1 or 2v2 event every month. They just need to make a schedule and implement it in advance.

#19 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:02 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 04 November 2022 - 09:44 PM, said:

A handful of people played the mode, because it was overly complicated, no free for all, and not particularly interesting. This meant all the season rewards went to the same handful of people over and over, if there was even enough people playing to fill out the reward list.

The better question would be- why is it still in the name of the game if it's no longer even a mode?

The game takes place in an event where smoke Jaguar appear. Solaris 7 was an important city in this event.
Solaris city is still in the game. However Smoke Jaguar is only briefly mentioned as a sticker you can put on the mech.
Smoke Jaguar is as well mentioned as as a paint color.

#20 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:07 AM

https://www.sarna.ne...ki/Solaris_City

This is the solaris City
Instead we got the inner sphere map

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users