Griffin Sucks!

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 Vald Taltos

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 09:02 PM

Okay, so it’s an opinion but in my opinion Griffins SUCK.
The mobility for what you would expect from a 55 ton mech is sluggish, the hard points look like they were allocated by a crack addict, quirks are either useless or nonexistent and it’s fricken HUGE!!
Seriously, I dropped next to a Banshee last night and was looking it in the eye. My Griffin is the same height and wider than a 95 ton Banshee?!

ECM on the 2N looks to have some value but the rest look incredibly generic or worse.
The 5M is just a train wreck of random hard points and useless quirks.

Unless I’m missing something this mech needs help drastically, starting with washing it in hot water a few times.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 09:41 PM

I run both ECM- and non-ECM models and I have quite a fun in them.

#3 fetzonk

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 09:59 PM

I have thes Ares (which is not insane, but good enough that I enjoy it) and the 5M with 4 AC2 (which is genuinely great). My Banshee Siren on the other hand....i don't know what to do with that one. Those Hardpoints, always shooting the dirt.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:25 AM

View Postfetzonk, on 06 November 2022 - 09:59 PM, said:

My Banshee Siren on the other hand....i don't know what to do with that one. Those Hardpoints, always shooting the dirt.

Your Banshee has torso mounted energy and ballistic hardpoints too.

#5 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 November 2022 - 11:02 AM

View Postmartian, on 07 November 2022 - 10:25 AM, said:

It also has 40 more tons for guns.

Just because you get some success with the Griffin doesn't mean it doesn't need love. I'm a bit out of the loop but last i checked it hadn't had a quirk pass in quite a long time.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:07 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 07 November 2022 - 11:02 AM, said:

Just because you get some success with the Griffin doesn't mean it doesn't need love. I'm a bit out of the loop but last i checked it hadn't had a quirk pass in quite a long time.

Feel free to take the Griffin and drop in it in the game ten or twenty times, so you have some experience with the game and with the 'Mech that you are discussing.

#7 Glymbol

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:11 PM

I agree the Griffin should be smaller, but I wouldn't call it sluggish, however I like to put a few skill points to torso speed and anchor turn. You can do quite well with this mech. I don't know maybe others aren't seeing you as a threat and aren't focusing your Griffin.

#8 fetzonk

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:29 PM

View Postmartian, on 07 November 2022 - 10:25 AM, said:

tried ac20+snubs, 2erppc+2lgauss, 2ac5+2hppc, 2erll+2gauss. every weapon combo was great, especially the convergence, but the hardpoints are just too low for my taste. even at great distances i hit the dirtin front of the target underneath the crosshair.

Edited by fetzonk, 07 November 2022 - 12:30 PM.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:46 PM

View Postfetzonk, on 07 November 2022 - 12:29 PM, said:

tried ac20+snubs, 2erppc+2lgauss, 2ac5+2hppc, 2erll+2gauss. every weapon combo was great, especially the convergence, but the hardpoints are just too low for my taste. even at great distances i hit the dirtin front of the target underneath the crosshair.

Well, I would not expect some big hardpoint changes. You must work with those hardpoints that are available. Posted Image

Have you tried using those torso hardpoints and some big missile rack to get around those low arm energy hardpoints? The 'Mech is quirked for missiles. Those missiles are relatively highly positioned. A big MRM rack maybe? You can always remove them, after all.

View PostGlymbol, on 07 November 2022 - 12:11 PM, said:

I agree the Griffin should be smaller, but I wouldn't call it sluggish, however I like to put a few skill points to torso speed and anchor turn. You can do quite well with this mech. I don't know maybe others aren't seeing you as a threat and aren't focusing your Griffin.

In my opinion the Griffin is not as bad as some people think.

#10 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 07 November 2022 - 03:34 PM

The Griffin's last quirk pass was Sept/Oct 2021:
https://mwomercs.com...21september2021
https://mwomercs.com...0-19october2021
https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes

Stick a BIG MRM on Griffin's shoulder and close quarter corner peak brawl... with its agility, it can even drive back Heavy mechs!

Edited by w0qj, 07 November 2022 - 03:35 PM.

#11 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 November 2022 - 08:17 PM

View Postmartian, on 07 November 2022 - 12:07 PM, said:

Feel free to take the Griffin and drop in it in the game ten or twenty times, so you have some experience with the game and with the 'Mech that you are discussing.

I'm not that out of the loop.
The griffin is one of my old mainstays. It's fallen by the wayside as of late.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 09:13 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 07 November 2022 - 08:17 PM, said:

I'm not that out of the loop.
The griffin is one of my old mainstays. It's fallen by the wayside as of late.

Really?

#13 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 07:31 AM

View Postmartian, on 07 November 2022 - 09:13 PM, said:

Really?

Haven't played much lately BUT I have played enough after Griffin was last quirked to see that Griffins could use some love.
I have no idea why all Griffins got extra armor just to arms when almost all of them have "main hardpoints" in torsos
And I think we can compare it to lately quirked HBK somewhat and Griffins quirks are pathetic to compare to those.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:56 AM

View PostCurccu, on 08 November 2022 - 07:31 AM, said:

Haven't played much lately BUT I have played enough after Griffin was last quirked to see that Griffins could use some love.
I have no idea why all Griffins got extra armor just to arms when almost all of them have "main hardpoints" in torsos
And I think we can compare it to lately quirked HBK somewhat and Griffins quirks are pathetic to compare to those.

All Griifin variants have a lot of structure quirks, torso locations included. I think that the players are expected to use the Griffin's armor- and structure-boosted arms to shield their 'Mechs - the left arm, specifically. The right arm is probably similarly boosted, so the players will not lose their arm-mounted weapons so easily.

Also, all Griffin variants can jump. No IS Hunchback can do that in MWO. I guess that the idea behind it is that the Griffin should use its mobility to its advantage both for attack and for defense, instead of running it as a five tons heavier Hunchback.

#15 Akamia Terizen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ravenous
  • The Ravenous
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:34 AM

I take my GRF-2N out once in a while and have a fairly decent time usually. I've noticed on my PXH-1b as well that people seem to consider ECM mediums (at my level of play, anyway) to be beneath notice, because I don't often get shot unless I make myself an extremely obvious target. lol

Of course, I run both those ’Mechs in stock configuration. Don't do what I do, unless you're like me and enjoy playing canon builds just for the sake of them. :P

#16 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:14 AM

So has the Crab.. Some Griffins are playable..

Anyone remember the Vindicators..

#17 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 705 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 09:47 AM

Nah Griffin doesnt suck, it takes patience, that's all...though I would recommend the dervish or the vindicator over
the griffin

#18 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 01:21 PM

View Postsimon1812, on 16 November 2022 - 09:47 AM, said:

Nah Griffin doesnt suck, it takes patience, that's all...though I would recommend the dervish or the vindicator over
the griffin

Dervish is good, vindicator is totally ret*rded freak that has only worked in solaris because of insane quirks, divisions and very limited scenarios what will most likely happened in those games. It has bad hard locations and doesn't have enough of those. Cannot thing any build that you can make decently to Griffin that you could do better in vindicator.

#19 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:36 PM

View PostCurccu, on 16 November 2022 - 01:21 PM, said:

Dervish is good, vindicator is totally ret*rded freak that has only worked in solaris because of insane quirks, divisions and very limited scenarios what will most likely happened in those games. It has bad hard locations and doesn't have enough of those. Cannot thing any build that you can make decently to Griffin that you could do better in vindicator.

You also forgot to mention that the vindicator is awfully slow, you cant fit a potent engine on it. Still though I kick *** with that thing, rolling with with the VND 1X, with ERPPC MedL SSRM4 and Light MGx3, all 4 JJ no need to go XL so it can stick in the fight for a bit longer, look for any enemy that ve already lost armor and help it a little with a erppc shot and finish them internals with the light machine gun+streaks. Since the main weapons are in its arms and the mech is very movile with the JJ it is easy to ambush enemies trying to retreat from a fight. Cool note: between the quirks and the skills the erppc's cool down goes down by 1.28 out of 4 secs which is not bad.

The griffin in turn its too easy of a target, rolling a GRF 2N and Im finding it very hard to get a gg out of it.

Phoenix is a nother one I would recommend over the griffin, PXH 1B just pack it with a RAC5 and have fun.

#20 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:38 PM

there have been calls for rescaling for years but i don't see it happening. there are quite a few mechs that would benefit from them being scaled properly. the Griffin is just one of many.

as for running them i run a 2N (got it free some time ago) from time to time. i find it runs well as follows

GRF-2N (2 L-PPC, 3 SRM-6 (4t ammo), 1 L-AMS, running an LE-280 with 2 DHS, ECM, 1 JJ, Endo, and LFF)

have to strip the left arm and a touch from the legs but it works well. if you prefer a bit more range you can switch the SRMS for 3 MRM-10s. you lose a bit of dmg and its a touch hotter but still good. have thought of swapping for a standard AMS with only 1/2t of ammo so i can up the engine a bit. if you are brave or confident enough to run XL you could likely remove the LFF and have more space for say bigger MRM launchers (would have to do away with the AMS though) if you don't mind running a bit toasty. there are honestly a number of builds that work well with the mech.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users