#21 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:41 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 24 November 2022 - 05:25 PM, said:

Well that is the definite plus of our pre drop map picks. If a map really is doody no one will vote for it.

i'll still vote for it over Solaris any day of the week if nothing else that to watch and laugh as high heat meta builds cook themselves while my cooler ones (i tend to shoot for 1.40 heat management before things like JJ or L-AMS) just keep on firing.

#22 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 24 November 2022 - 10:54 PM

I finally got to play it on domination and there is a tiny bit of cover fast mechs can get to as the circle is not perfectly centered on the caldera and offset a bit. But its very tiny and easily overrun or flanked. Hell a super quick fix would be to offset the circle about half way in and half way out at a place the offers equal cover and fire lanes to each side. Kinda like they did on viridian bog.

#23 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:42 AM

I'll just put this here since krazzdaxx wanted some feedback preferably with screenshots:

Posted Image

Position should be legible - 3731.1 / 4361.7 / 339.0 on the D5/E5 border.

It's a small chasm to the right of where the Awesome spawns in Testing Grounds. In light mechs you can easily drop into it from above.

So far In Testing Grounds i managed to wiggle out of it towards center E5, but there seems to be at least one position within this chasm where you seem to be able to get stuck off the ground depending on mech geometry. Especially with larger mechs this seems to be a possibility.

Suggestion: Flatten the floor of this chasm, possible move the spire to its right slightly outwards to widen it (or further inwards to close the chasm entirely).

#24 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 25 November 2022 - 01:02 PM

No redeeming qualities- who decided this was going to be good? NASCAR+++

#25 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:50 PM

Folks, the fact that you're here making all these new criticisms of the rework tells you all you need to know. Take it from someone who put in significant effort on this forum to point out issues with the game that needed improvement and suffered the slings and arrows of the usual forum dreck in the process, you're wasting your time here. Just accept the game as is and enjoy it as best you can.

P.S. - NoGutsNoGalaxy did a dev interview on YouTube back in August where this was said:
https://youtu.be/wimH3u4oUKk?t=2162

36.02 "One thing, speaking of Caustic, is that a lot of people for a long time have been complaining that on domination on Caustic you can't see the yellow circle, um... TOTALLY AWARE OF THAT and as soon as we can do something about that, if we can, then we will."

3 months and 3 patches have gone by since then and that simple issue still hasn't been fixed.

There comes a time when you need to realize and accept what you're dealing with and move on.

#26 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 05:02 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 25 November 2022 - 04:50 PM, said:

Folks, the fact that you're here making all these new criticisms of the rework tells you all you need to know. Take it from someone who put in significant effort on this forum to point out issues with the game that needed improvement and suffered the slings and arrows of the usual forum dreck in the process, you're wasting your time here. Just accept the game as is and enjoy it as best you can.

P.S. - NoGutsNoGalaxy did a dev interview on YouTube back in August where this was said:
https://youtu.be/wimH3u4oUKk?t=2162

36.02 "One thing, speaking of Caustic, is that a lot of people for a long time have been complaining that on domination on Caustic you can't see the yellow circle, um... TOTALLY AWARE OF THAT and as soon as we can do something about that, if we can, then we will."

3 months and 3 patches have gone by since then and that simple issue still hasn't been fixed.

There comes a time when you need to realize and accept what you're dealing with and move on.

I think most people realize this. We still kinda like to talk about it though.

And the fact that they JUST changed it means they do try to fix maps... even though they seem to be messing things up instead of fixing them inadvertently.

Sh*t I'm happy this game is not dead yet and that there's work still being done. Props for that. And to be honest its the most generous free to play game at the moment hands down... so...

Edited by Louis Brofist, 25 November 2022 - 05:02 PM.

#27 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:57 AM

After playing on Terra Therma Crucible, I see no big point in effort to "fix" this map.

I would be quite okay with having the previous Terra Therma Classic back (maybe with some small adjustments).

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:35 PM

this damn scorched earth policy when something isnt an immediate success needs to end. id rather see maps get periodic refinements than radical reduxes. especially them established "good" maps.

#29 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:10 AM

Need many structures in center. Tunnels, angars, hills.

#30 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:17 AM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 27 November 2022 - 10:10 AM, said:

Need many structures in center. Tunnels, hangars, hills.

The previous version of the map (Terra Therma Classic) had tunnels and hills. PGI has removed them from the map.

#31 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 01:14 PM

I liked the roof structure from the previous version, it would be nice to have some form of that back.

#32 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 886 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 November 2022 - 01:17 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 27 November 2022 - 12:15 PM, said:

I'm just posting this again here, because I think nobody reads page one anymore. The new map guy said Crucible is not finished, more like "early access" he just has no means of flagging the map like that. He's looking into feedback and the map will get further iterations.

How 'bout old Terra therma's revival? Exact revival not some woodoo-ish ghost summon. Seen videos about that and I had a crush on that! Wanna dat sooo badly Posted Image

#33 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:23 PM

The most problem of this map.

It has huge good terrain around, that no use. And the center is really boring.

No need symmetry maps with center and the same arounds.

Make a fortress in one corner. Hangar city in next corner. tunnel labyrinth, etc.

And they can even be close.

May be no need center at all.

#34 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:37 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 27 November 2022 - 12:15 PM, said:

I'm just posting this again here, because I think nobody reads page one anymore. The new map guy said Crucible is not finished, more like "early access" he just has no means of flagging the map like that. He's looking into feedback and the map will get further iterations.

I read it. I still quite do not understand why the two-levelled Terra Therma Classic had to be pulled overnight and replaced with this half-baked map (if it is really a half-completed product and not the intended map).

It seems to me that many players strongly dislike the new Terra Therma Crucible.

#35 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:08 PM

Unfortunately trying to fix the map just made it worse.

No offence to anyone, but just delete the thing and start completely over; and may I suggest - terrain that mechs can smoothly move around on, minimizing pointless large space nobody ever fights in, having some cover but not clutter.

#36 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:35 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 27 November 2022 - 01:14 PM, said:

I liked the roof structure from the previous version, it would be nice to have some form of that back.

Instead of the roof structure have a criss cross of the arches that currently circle the caldera. This allows for high ground attacks into the low ground like on vitric station but allows plenty of cover from sniping too and the attacker is just as vulnerable as the target.

#37 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:27 PM

Given that it's acknowledged as a WIP now from the new hire, I'll chalk it up to "learning the ropes" and "gaining experience" and I can live with that, so long as it continues being tweaked for the better from here on out.

I know many want the very original Terra Therma, but I am not one of them. I think you all forget how horrible the design really was. No cover in the middle->sniping across the center. 4 chokepoints. No easy and quick way to move from outside one opening to another to flank. It was the most fun when you agreed with your team not to enter the circle and to set up elsewhere on the map.

If we go back to the spirit of the original design where you have a volcano, what I'd like to see is the original bridge structure that was inside the volcano remaining. Shrink the volcano's overall size and lower the mountain edges so the metal bridge's diameter (as it currently is) forms the outside of the volcano's rim. The rock should also protrude at points as cover on the inside radius of the bridge so you can shoot across the rim to the other sides but also have spots of cover. In that way, it's more like the old Caustic Valley. You can still cross the middle of the map if you want with the central bridges, but they should ramp up into the very middle to provide cover until you reach the top. The circular bridge area should hang off the side of the volcano's mountain a bit so other than ramps, you can fall down to the next level which could be a combination of the rocky ground and other metal bridges. These two levels should have at least 6 ramps up and down for easy navigation. So that makes 2 roughly concentric pathways around the middle area. The rocky one doesn't have to be a perfect circle. It can meander a little to provide cover in the form of spires between the high metal bridge circle and the lower (but still higher than the rest of the map) rock path. This should have cover also from the remainder of the map but also mesh with the rest of the map in smooth pathways. The middle of the volcano should be covered up so you're not necessarily standing on lava directly (that doesn't make any sense--you'd explode). This is one artistic change I liked in the current Terra Therma, but unfortunately, it's created a collision nightmare for some mechs so that has to be addressed. If you fall into the volcano, you need 4 exits where the lava can flow out of the volcano. The original had 2 plus a collapsed metal bridge to get up. I don't think that slope should be retained. Terra Therma has a bit of verticality which can make it hard for assault mechs to walk up slopes if they're not gradual enough. Perhaps the middle needs to be lowered overall compared to the original.

#38 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:58 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 29 November 2022 - 04:27 PM, said:

Given that it's acknowledged as a WIP now from the new hire, I'll chalk it up to "learning the ropes" and "gaining experience" and I can live with that, so long as it continues being tweaked for the better from here on out.

I know many want the very original Terra Therma, but I am not one of them. I think you all forget how horrible the design really was. No cover in the middle->sniping across the center. 4 chokepoints. No easy and quick way to move from outside one opening to another to flank. It was the most fun when you agreed with your team not to enter the circle and to set up elsewhere on the map.

If we go back to the spirit of the original design where you have a volcano, what I'd like to see is the original bridge structure that was inside the volcano remaining. Shrink the volcano's overall size and lower the mountain edges so the metal bridge's diameter (as it currently is) forms the outside of the volcano's rim. The rock should also protrude at points as cover on the inside radius of the bridge so you can shoot across the rim to the other sides but also have spots of cover. In that way, it's more like the old Caustic Valley. You can still cross the middle of the map if you want with the central bridges, but they should ramp up into the very middle to provide cover until you reach the top. The circular bridge area should hang off the side of the volcano's mountain a bit so other than ramps, you can fall down to the next level which could be a combination of the rocky ground and other metal bridges. These two levels should have at least 6 ramps up and down for easy navigation. So that makes 2 roughly concentric pathways around the middle area. The rocky one doesn't have to be a perfect circle. It can meander a little to provide cover in the form of spires between the high metal bridge circle and the lower (but still higher than the rest of the map) rock path. This should have cover also from the remainder of the map but also mesh with the rest of the map in smooth pathways. The middle of the volcano should be covered up so you're not necessarily standing on lava directly (that doesn't make any sense--you'd explode). This is one artistic change I liked in the current Terra Therma, but unfortunately, it's created a collision nightmare for some mechs so that has to be addressed. If you fall into the volcano, you need 4 exits where the lava can flow out of the volcano. The original had 2 plus a collapsed metal bridge to get up. I don't think that slope should be retained. Terra Therma has a bit of verticality which can make it hard for assault mechs to walk up slopes if they're not gradual enough. Perhaps the middle needs to be lowered overall compared to the original.

What he said. Original terra therma was a nightmare and would be way worse in the current sniper meta. I like the remake as long as they either offset the domination circle or add in some central cover. All the other modes are fine on it even conquest since the central cap provides its own cover for light mechs to dart in and cap and the fact you don't need theta to win as long as you have three other caps.

Edited by Meep Meep, 01 December 2022 - 06:58 PM.

#39 NobelPrizeFighter

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:39 PM

Another map that benefits snipers, ecm, and jumpjets. Running a short range skirmisher is a complete waste of time, especially on domination. Is there a reason there is no cover in the circle? Why do you hate brawling and skirmishing?

#40 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:28 PM

View PostNobelPrizeFighter, on 02 December 2022 - 06:39 PM, said:

Another map that benefits snipers, ecm, and jumpjets. Running a short range skirmisher is a complete waste of time, especially on domination. Is there a reason there is no cover in the circle? Why do you hate brawling and skirmishing?

The previous version of the map (Terra Therma Classic) had the underground level that let me move "under" sniping enemy 'Mechs and then use some ramp to exit the underground close to those snipers.

Of course, such map feature had to go. Posted Image

So now we have a featureless flat plain, ideal for snipers. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users