Maps

47 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:37 AM

1. The size and the shape of the map stays the same as with the Terra Therma Classic.

Posted Image

2. The periphery of the map is more or less unchanged.

Posted Image

3. The central area of the map has been completely flattened.

As you can see, there is absolutely no cover here.

Posted Image

4. The diameter of the central area is 800-900 metres, i.e. the optimal range of ER large lasers, ER PPCs and Gauss Rifles.

Posted Image

5A. The old "ground level" (Terra Therma Classic) used by brawlers to move under the enemy team and launch surprise attacks ...
Posted Image

5B. .... has been completely erased.

Posted Image

6. You can also visit some high ledges above the playing area with convenient ramps allowing for some easy access even for assault 'Mechs.

Posted Image

I do not understand one thing:

Some time ago PGI reworked the Caustic Valley map and removed the central caldera. The reworked Caustic was left with a large empty central space. The gameplay consisted mostly of sniping across the central area. Surely many of you remember it - ECM snipers camping around the edge of the map. Many players were disappointed with this map.

Eventually, PGI relented and added some cover in the central area, so the reworked Caustic sucks less now, even though it is far from optimal.

So why do we have another reworked map with the empty central area that is devoid of any cover?

What do you think about this reworked Terra Therma Crucible map?

Edited by martian, 22 November 2022 - 11:47 AM.

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 November 2022 - 12:51 PM

Plenty of cover as long as you don't go center which of course is going to be impossible for domination or the theta capture area. Fast flankers will be the main tactic to get behind the caldera snipers just like it used to be. Basically this is going to be a nascar map by default as no one is going to be dumb enough to go center. All they needed to do was leave a few central pillars after removing the roof and it would have been fine. Well they do have a new map maker hired so lets see if they re-re-redo it.

#3 Tarteso

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 22 November 2022 - 01:36 PM

Another BS rework meeting the "how this game is meant to be played" idea of someone, while they refuse to re-release the real classic maps. I'll skip this crap anytime it gets voted

#4 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:01 PM

Great. As if sniping builds needed any more pandering too.

#5 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 22 November 2022 - 03:52 PM

Long range weapons are REQUIRED on this map! I generally play short range mechs. Just played my first bout on the map and it was a sniper fest! Cover? Only if you're on the slope of a hill or standing behind one of the pillars circling the center. No matter where I went, I was getting sniped from one direction or another and only got within range a few times before I was destroyed.

I didn't like the map before and now I HATE it! I, personally, would almost be tempted to quit the match if it were on this map, I hate it that much and this is before the LRM players get on it!

I appreciate the work you have done, but will vote against it every single time it comes up.

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 November 2022 - 07:31 PM

I thought the first reworked version was better than classic, but needed refined. The two floor idea I liked. It was too large across though. Needed to be about 25% smaller diameter above and below. And not as high of an elevation change between the two floors so the ramps are smaller and smoother. Ideally want to smooth out the chokepoints to improve movement and add more, smaller cover, along routes.

#7 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 November 2022 - 05:33 AM

got to play the revised version yesterday (Domination) and it relieved a glaring flaw in that the cap circle is smaller than the central area so for any mech to hold it they have to be pretty much in the open. this is a bad idea.

even as a more mid-long range player i find myself not liking the latest revision. i enjoyed the two floors and with holes in the upper lvl you could still fire down at those beneath. it actually worked well gave some dynamics to the map. i enjoy a map that makes all play styles viable, from long range sniping to LRM to close range Brawl. the reworked "Classic" actually did that. now it is definitely a snipe fest map.

so yeah the revision gets a big thumbs down and a fat wet Raspberry from this old Mech Jockey.

(i mean i still don't hate it as much as i hate Solaris but its edging closer)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 23 November 2022 - 05:33 AM.

#8 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 06:18 AM

Oh cool, I can see it already

1) Make a map that is a lava covered Dover Speedway
2) Everyone in game yell at team not to NASCAR
3) Only options are to NASCAR, counter NASCAR, or spend 8 minutes running around dead zones of the map

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:00 AM

i dont know why they felt the need to redo it like this. i would have settled for some fixes to the hitboxes. especially in the floor of the basement. and perhaps poked a few more holes in the ceiling. maybe more cover in the basement as well as some central ramps to the top. pretty much the old caldera but bigger. i like maps that offer approaches for all play styles. camp above brawl below. i don't get the need to make it camp exclusive.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 November 2022 - 07:02 AM.

#10 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:39 AM

Remove the center at this point, place a giant impassible mountain in the center. Done.

Getting tired of maps that require the focus to be the center of the entire place. Maps like Grim and Rube do a well enough job to not have the center be the main focus of the map.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 08:55 AM

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 23 November 2022 - 08:40 AM, said:

The previous iteration was flawed as hell, but could have been salvaged and riffed on to be better. This rework is not an improvement from what I have seen thus far. It's possible my opinion will improve as I figure out or observe good plays and counterplays but removing the aspect (however flawed in implementation) I liked about it, the opportunity for more vertical play and movement opportunities for brawly or even midrange stuff is not a positive change overall.

In my opinion, simply adding some cover on the upper level of Terra Therma Classic would have done wonders. Unfortunately, that map is gone now.

#12 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:37 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 23 November 2022 - 05:33 AM, said:

got to play the revised version yesterday (Domination) and it relieved a glaring flaw in that the cap circle is smaller than the central area so for any mech to hold it they have to be pretty much in the open. this is a bad idea.

I wonder if this is intended, and that's why they named it Crucible.

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:55 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 23 November 2022 - 07:39 AM, said:

Remove the center at this point, place a giant impassible mountain in the center. Done.

Getting tired of maps that require the focus to be the center of the entire place. Maps like Grim and Rube do a well enough job to not have the center be the main focus of the map.

Absolutely agree, so many maps have hugely interesting areas near their periphary that absolutely never see any use because fighting always moves to and then revolves around some central landmark. Rubellite is my favourite map precisely because there are several areas where fights can occur in QP.

#14 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 06:08 PM

The terra therma rework is literally the worst map I've ever played. Its got all sorts of little ankle traps to slow you down a wide and a open sniper field in the center. Its dark and hard to see with almost no cover and for some stupid reason the domination
circle is inside the stonehenge with no cover at all. It's simply bad.

#15 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:17 PM

No one wants to vote for it, I still didn't get to play it!

#16 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:25 PM

Well that is the definite plus of our pre drop map picks. If a map really is doody no one will vote for it.

#17 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:35 PM

Lets hope so.

#18 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:40 PM

Mechanically its a fairly simple fix. Copy paste in some rocks and pillars in the center and other than the traps and pits most of the issue with the caldera is fixed.

#19 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 November 2022 - 07:25 PM

I don't vote for anything but city maps anyway so it doesn't really bother me.. I might play it a few times when some Lurmer has 11x...

#20 chaosshade2638

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 85 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:33 PM

PGI, when we say we hate a map, that doesn't mean "change it to make it worse"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users