#21 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:44 AM

View PostTarteso, on 10 December 2022 - 11:02 AM, said:

Oh, and you think this shity reduction of 1% per node will made lock-on weapons more reliable? LOL

Yes. Since a single stick, or pole, or random piece of geometry, or a friendly or enemy mech won't immediately break the lock as you move quickly around them, while in plain sight in the open. Line of sight is determined using a single raycast towards a single point on the enemy mech. It does not matter if you can see the whole mech in plain sight... as long as that singular point on the mech is being the tiniest piece of object, it considers your mech as out of LOS, and 100% radar deprivation breaks lock immediately.
And once the lock is broken, you need 2+ more seconds to re-acquire it... assuming no other random stick or small geometry is in the way again.

For normal play (i.e., using actual cover against lock-ons), this change will have almost no effect.

It was explained what this change was supposed to do. Read the whole text, rather than the first line.

Edited by Navid A1, 10 December 2022 - 11:48 AM.

#22 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:48 AM

Thank you MWO for listening, finally giving us Dire Wolf DWF-A(P)!!
https://mwomercs.com...-a/page__st__40

DWF-A
CT quirk: -5% Heat
CT quirk: +10% Velocity
+30% CBills bonus

This is even better than Dire Wolf UV's CT for quirks! ;)

#23 Solomon Birch

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:10 PM

I'm curious about there being two IS platinum packs, one only being two 'Mechs. Why? Those two couldn't wait for collection 11?

#24 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:15 PM

View PostSolomon Birch, on 10 December 2022 - 12:10 PM, said:

I'm curious about there being two IS platinum packs, one only being two 'Mechs. Why? Those two couldn't wait for collection 11?

It's a reference to the original Phoenix packs that were released in a similar pattern (the first 4 mechs, and then the Wolverine and Griffin as an add-on pack).

#25 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:41 PM

View PostTarogato, on 09 December 2022 - 10:12 PM, said:

Cauldron expressed that this change is to make lock-on weapon systems more reliable, since you will no longer be able to reach full 100% Radar Derp. Because let's face it, it's really silly how a mech walking behind another mech or a small pylon can instantly break locks. This should no longer happen as often. Also should reduce the effect of a bug with Streaks where facehugging can break locks.

Although, this follows several patches of adding a free 25% Radar Dep to several different chassis. The adjustment in the patch will bring Radar Dep down from 100% with 5 skill nodes to 95% with 5 skill nodes, meaning the quirk still brings those 'mechs well above 100%, and enables them to continue abusing the broken mechanism, still saving one skill node.

View PostNavid A1, on 10 December 2022 - 10:25 AM, said:

A few posts above you literally explained what this change is for, and what problem it will solve. Here, I will quote it for you:

Double-check your spelling, Navid. :) That was Tarogato in the explanation, and Tarteso registering the complaint. Very similar names, but still different (unless you know for sure that one's an alt of the other?)

#26 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2022 - 01:56 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 10 December 2022 - 12:41 PM, said:

Although, this follows several patches of adding a free 25% Radar Dep to several different chassis. The adjustment in the patch will bring Radar Dep down from 100% with 5 skill nodes to 95% with 5 skill nodes, meaning the quirk still brings those 'mechs well above 100%, and enables them to continue abusing the broken mechanism, still saving one skill node.

Yes, now the mechs with those quirks will have a truly unique advantage. Remember Radar Dep is a compensatory quirk that's usually given to sub-par mechs and omnipods - it tends not to be present on already optimal builds. If you think there are any specific mechs which should have this quirk reduced or removed, I think that would be a valid discussion.

#27 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 December 2022 - 03:13 PM

View PostTarogato, on 10 December 2022 - 01:56 PM, said:

Yes, now the mechs with those quirks will have a truly unique advantage. Remember Radar Dep is a compensatory quirk that's usually given to sub-par mechs and omnipods - it tends not to be present on already optimal builds. If you think there are any specific mechs which should have this quirk reduced or removed, I think that would be a valid discussion.

Hellbringer? It's on the head of every variant except the -A (the one with a head mounted laser), but HBR Laser Vomit is still oppressive even without the head mounted ERML. Dire Wolf has it, too, and while it might move slowly, it can still move far enough aside to miss a stream of missiles in the two or more seconds required to reacquire a target lock. Blood Asp has it on the non-ECM CT's. That's another 'mech that can boat an oppressive weapons load (ballistic explosion blindness is a different, but related, conversation).

Of the other 'mechs that have it, it's on one or two variants of that chassis, and better qualify as "flavor" or "balancing". It's extremely widespread on the three Clan 'mechs mentioned above, and I wouldn't call the Hellbringer or Blood Asp "underperforming".

#28 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2022 - 04:09 PM

Not feeling those changes at all.. Promotes lurm spam and more sniper meta..

And as others said conveniently nerfing the Crusader before Cbill purchase as usual. And why do champs get to use it broken and not get fixed at release if it was so bad...

Edited by PocketYoda, 10 December 2022 - 04:10 PM.

#29 CrimsonPhantom6sg062

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 04:13 PM

View PostTarteso, on 10 December 2022 - 05:04 AM, said:

Are you serious? Do you think this is a meaningful change?

yes

View PostTarogato, on 10 December 2022 - 01:56 PM, said:

If you think there are any specific mechs which should have this quirk reduced or removed, I think that would be a valid discussion.

Here are my suggestions:

FLE-FA: Remove radar dep.

HBR-Prime: Remove radar dep on head. Rest are fine.

DWF: Lower radar dep to 5%.

Rest are fine IMO.

Disagree with ERLL change. I believe we ought to buff IS PPCs and Gauss first before looking at improving ERLLs. IS PPCs and Gauss seem to underperform to me – I suggest re-linking LGR to the PPC-Gauss HSL family since this will open a lot of extra build options (I think I explained this in detail before).

Agree with HMG nerf and nerf to ridiculously powerful speeders and the RIDICULOUSLY powerful Crusader. If anything, this will help clarify balance issues by removing these anomalies.*1

I think we should look at the ATM change carefully. Bare in mind that due to human player behavior, the difference between 70m and 80m min range is a pretty significant difference. Otherwise, good change.

*1 If you need proof of their power, just look at the MWO CS series.

Edited: I said the Crusader will become fine, before actually reading the patch notes carefully.
This is a lie - The Crusader will go from being ridiculously overpowered to being just flat overpowered.

Edited by CrimsonPhantom6sg062, 10 December 2022 - 04:52 PM.

#30 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 10 December 2022 - 07:12 PM

View PostCrimsonPhantom6sg062, on 10 December 2022 - 04:13 PM, said:

Edited: I said the Crusader will become fine, before actually reading the patch notes carefully.
This is a lie - The Crusader will go from being ridiculously overpowered to being just flat overpowered.

yes, sadly.

the C-ERLL buff is very needed right now though. C-ERPPC needs to be looked at too, maybe a slight cooldown reduction.

#31 catgirl

• PipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 66 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanopus IV

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:32 PM

Looks great! Can't wait for the Patch Science Sale Posted Image

#32 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 09:27 PM

View Postcatgirl, on 10 December 2022 - 08:32 PM, said:

Looks great! Can't wait for the Patch Science Sale Posted Image

You mean Patch "MAGIC" SalePosted Image

#33 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 10:46 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 10 December 2022 - 09:27 PM, said:

You mean Patch "MAGIC" SalePosted Image

Does this mean the Holiday sales are kicking off early? Should I be stockpiling C-Bills sooner rather than later?

Edited by Clay Endfield, 10 December 2022 - 10:47 PM.

#34 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 04:16 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 10 December 2022 - 02:35 AM, said:

Clan ER Large lasers are one of the most outclassed weapons in the current state of the game where most fights are sub-600m due to most maps allowing for safe, covered channels to approach well inside cERLL optimum range. Clan ERLL was changed more than a year ago to have a longer cooldown, and in the past year has been hit with both a duration nerf and a heat nerf.
The adjustment to the ghost heat multiplier is done as well, so firing 3 or more still nets you the same level of heat that you get now.
Effective use of cERLL often requires constant face time, to be able to leverage the range advantage. Once the fight moves within 600m. You immediately have an inferior weapon against basically anything else. The heat change will only affect firing of 2 cERLL at a time, which on a dedicated cERLL mech means multiple groups of them firing in sequence. The heat change keeps them in the fight a while longer before the fight inevitably moves closer.

Maybe you have heard about D A T A. He is one of the best players in the game. Well, just a week ago you were on the same team in the finale of the MWO Championship.

And this D A T A deployed in all three games in one 'Mech, armed just with one type of weapon:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And what was running, this D A T A? Let's check it:

Posted Image

So, he spammed six Clan ER Large lasers, running Clan Warhammer IIC Assault 'Mech.

I bet that he took those "ranged weapons that suck" to sabotage your - and his - own team in the most important game of the championship. Because "one of the most outclassed weapons" is the right weapon for the most important game of the season.

It's more than just, oh... Machine guns are going to be nerf'd (they aren't). It's directly targeted at CLAN HMG boats like the VPR-F and MLX-G, both punching way beyond their weight class and even roles.
While the nerf to effective DPS of CLAN HMG affects all mechs that use cHMG at a same percentage, but due to small change, it's effect will be more felt in mechs that boat 8 or more of them. cHMG will remain the ultimate brawling weapons with almost no competition.

1) Heavy Machine Guns are a part of the Machine Gun family.

2) The nerf is "directly targeted at CLAN HMG boats like the VPR-F and MLX-G" and therefore "affects all mechs that use cHMG". What an example of a "directly targeted" nerf.

I have got a great idea: If you feel that VPR-F and MLX-G are outperforming, nerf just this pair of 'Mechs. Remove or reduce their MG ammo quirks. Remove their agility quirks. Etc.

3) And one bit of my personal observation: MLX-G is pretty rare and VPR-F is even rarer in the Quick Play, at least in my games. Many players have realized that using very short-ranged MGs or HMGs is very dangerous, especially on 'Mechs that are fragile, without ECM and lose their MG arms easily. So they do not run these 'Mechs all that often. Ditto for those "ultimate brawling weapons".

First, PGI has had nothing to do with the nerfs to some mechs or weapons. These are all decisions made by players in an open feedback discord channel.

It has everything to do with PGI, since it is the official game patch, implemented by PGI. Without PGI adding them into the patch, no such nerfs would happen. But of course, I understand that PGI does what you tell them to do.

Crusader-6T was nerf'd because it is out of this world broken. The only reason it was not nerf'd earlier was because teams were already using it in the championship semi-finals and the general consensus was not to make changes that can mess with how teams are planning their games.

Crusader was released in June.

If you felt that the the 'Mech is "out of this world broken", you have had a half of a year to do something with it.

But obviously Crusader was not "out of this world broken" so much, if you felt that such nerf could wait for months. So either the game-wide balance was not so important in comparison with the MWO chamionship played by the minority of players, or that problem has not been so big as you say.

Also, MWO has hundreds of 'Mech variants. Surely those championship players could have found some other 'Mech they would like to use instead.

December patch is the first patch after the competition is finished, and it is going out due to that. The mech being release for Cbills this same month is a coincidence. I wasn't even aware of this before someone brought it up after changes has been already submitted.

I have not noticed too many threads on the forums, starting with "CRD-6T is out of this world broken - do something with it".

Actually, I am glad if I see any Crusader in the game, -6T or not.

Also, to set your records right, the KDK-3 was first nerf'd in July 2016, one month before it was even released for MC (let alone Cbills), Nerfing its CT structure to a miniscule value, and removing literally all of its other quirks.
Furthermore, the KDK-3 received its second nerf in November 2016, Two months after it was released for Cbills, removing even that miniscule CT structure it had remaining.
btw... the main nerf to the KDK-3 was not the mech itself. It was the addition of massive ghost heat to Clan UAC10s and linking of Clan Guass rifle and cERPPCs that brought down the mech.
Also, note that UAC10s were hit by the GH hammer before the mech was even out for MC.

Kodiak was progressively nerfed. Paying customers enjoyed a full strength 'Mech to play, while when the rest of the playerbase could have tried the 'Mech too - the nerf came.

Crusader is just about to be nerfed. Paying customers enjoyed a full strength 'Mech to play for a half of a year, while now - when the rest of the playerbase can try the 'Mech - the nerf comes.

And again note that if we wanted to treat Crusader-6T like PGI did with KDK-3, you would have been looking at ghost heat being introduced to small laser family.

Nerf is nerf, no matter if you use ghost heat or something else.

So, regarding the Crusader-6T. The mech is changing from a literal god mode, to something that is so powerful that it is still making a lot of other stuff irrelevant. Faction Play Clan players in particular will have an easier time, not getting spawn camped with 48 of these (yes, you can bring 4 of them in a single deck). And quick play players will also have an easier time dealing with 4-man groups of these steam rolling their entire team.

1) As I said above, I am glad when I see Crusader in the game. I do not think that the 'Mech is as common in the Quick Play as you think it is.

2) "Faction Play"? You mean that zombie game mode that the majority of its players left years ago?
Anyway, if you feel that there is some problem in the Faction Play, solve it in the same Faction Play.

3) If you feel that there is some problem with "4-man groups of these steam rolling their entire team" in the Quick Play, then deal with those "4-man groups". Not every QP player running Crusader is a member of a premade group. Also, these "4-man groups of these steam rolling their entire team" use other 'Mechs with the same result too, not just Crusader.

At the end of the day, a change can't be liked by everyone. People will have their disagreements, even the people who decided on these had their disagreements, and this is the result of a compromise.

You are absolutely correct: "a change can't be liked by everyone".

You can check those two screen captures:
Posted Image

Posted Image

That trend between Summer and Winter 2022 is interesting. I guess that some players did not like some changes - so they have left MWO.

Edited by martian, 11 December 2022 - 05:02 AM.

#35 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 07:47 AM

Mostly looks like a patch I like.

The ATM range reduction is great - these babies so rarely come out to play as they currently are.

Radar deprivation sounds great - hopefully it works out as planned.

Zeus mechs getting some love, as they need it, is good too; again, they're rarely about as they are.

The clan HMG's getting nerfed, after all MG's just got nerfed, isn't a getting my approval though. In addition to MG nerf's, didn't some of the most powerful MG mechs already have some perks removed on them specifically? Pretty sure either my Viper-F or Lynx-G just had it's ammo capacity cut in half......

And I *think* I'm seeing Vipers getting a movement reduction? Movement is about all they have going for them really, they just kind of suck otherwise which is why they are so rare except the F variant; I kind of think Vipers need more love across the board.

Looking forward -

Top Dog is the bottom dog right now in terms of perks - seriously, he NEEDS some armor perks and some decent heat perks. The Hero variant of any mech shouldn't be the worst - the Vapor Eagle Rival got some much needed love for that reason - the Top Dog should be next.

Griffins are still the mech I love to hate the MOST - they should be great, except they're big and slow and suck. If both a scaling reduction and agility pass can't be done, for sure some more armor and an agility pass should be easy enough to do. Right now, poor old Griffin seems as big and slow as a Black Knight, but a Black Knight he is not!

See y'all on the battlefield!

Edited by An6ryMan69, 11 December 2022 - 08:12 AM.

#36 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 09:08 AM

View Postghost1e, on 10 December 2022 - 07:12 PM, said:

C-ERPPC needs to be looked at too, maybe a slight cooldown reduction.

Can we get some C-Light PPC like option in the future ?!

It's really annoying to have to use ER PPC on a Clan Mech while you basically only need "just a pinch of PPC" on the mech to be able to disable ECM of your enemies! Posted Image

Something else that really bugs me : Ghost Heat within the maximum amount of one type of weapon you can fire!

For example :
- Fire 1 weapon : 2% Heat
- Fire 2 weapons : 5% Heat
- Fire 3 weapons : 8 to 10% Heat
- Fire all 6 weapons : Absolutely not just 20% Heat Posted Image

What am I missing here ?!?!

And one last question :

I was doing some "Mech Shopping" the other day and noticed that Scorch no longer has HSL +1 for Dual UAC/20 usage : Do I remember this incorrectly or has the quirk been removed in one of the patches in the past ?! Posted Image

#37 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:37 PM

View PostRoyKilroy, on 09 December 2022 - 09:44 PM, said:

Is a fix for the matchmaking system on the agenda?
I asume they dont have anyone capable of fixing the matchmaker ;-P

#38 Grimloon

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:47 PM

Quick question, you are aware that the CP-S is the Sleipnir right? The hero variant with 4 ballistic and 4 energy mounts? Why then is it getting a buff to missile range?

I'm hoping it's a typo and that there isn't a hidden re-work of the mech or just adding random quirks that have no reason...

#39 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 December 2022 - 01:36 PM

View Postmartian, on 11 December 2022 - 04:16 AM, said:

The level of tin-hattery and conspiracy in this post is staggering.

- Regarding cERLL and their use in the game
First. You sample a very specifically crafted match in championships (which has a bunch of extra rules to what mech you can pick and what you can't), to argue that cERLL is dominant?
I don't know if you really don't know what sort of dynamic existed in that match, or you are just not genuine.

That match is a textbook showcase of a aggressive brawl push... with an insurance long range mech in tow. All of the team PUSHED the enemy head on so that mech at the back could work. Without that push, that cERLL mech would have been LRM'd to death in some corner of the map.

No more comment on this, since (by evidence) you don't know how a comp match dynamic plays out.
In the same competition I can open the floodgates on how useless ERLLs in general (IS or Clan) against brawl even on so called open sniper heaven maps... the fact that I need to say this shows how out of touch or dishonest you were.

Go watch this whole set between the 1st placed team and the 3rd placed team if you want to see how truly useless ERLLs are in a comp setting these days:

- Regarding heavy machine gun nerf.

I have got a great idea: If you feel that VPR-F and MLX-G are outperforming, nerf just this pair of 'Mechs. Remove or reduce their MG ammo quirks. Remove their agility quirks. Etc.

You can check this patch and a few patches in the past where we have done exactly that. HMG ammo quirks were removed long ago, survival quirks reduced, agility quirks removed, etc.
Thanks for your great idea.

- Regarding Crusader nerf.
After a new mech is released, you need time to see how it performs in the meta, what sort of builds emerge, and how it affects the game. It takes time. And not enough competent players buy them as packs to really form a big picture on how a mech performs. Release for MC introduces some more frequent players to the chassis and it's then where you can see the true devastation this mech variant can bring. With how much MC PGI has given away in the past couple years, most players had the funds already to get one. Cbill release will just be players buying duplicates.

Concept is simple:
- Mech is broken?... mech will get nerf'd
- Mech is garbage?.... mech will get buffed
MWO has 900+ mechs, and it takes time tweaking all in detail.

- Population numbers
Population is decreasing exactly as predicted, flow of new content slowed down or halted, (PGI lost one of their main artists, and their map designer) and quirk and balance changes are already into tweaking phase. What else did you expect from a 10 year old game?

Also on the same graph you can go and check the July - November trend since 2016 and see the exact same seasonal decline. People have lives. They play games as a hobby. They don't sit around waiting for a patch each month.
Only exception to this was 2020, where PGI did a podcast in September, inviting players back into the game after more than a year of complete silence. Population came back and played more... in a period where there was no new patches. PGI created a hype train too soon, before they could assign man power.

Here is a correct way of presenting trends (July - Nov):

Posted Image

Edited by Navid A1, 11 December 2022 - 01:59 PM.

#40 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 06:16 PM

Gameplay improvements? When?
Team balancing in quick play? When?
Removing groups from quick play? When?
The plan for the year has not been fulfilled in a large (and most important) part.
The patch is not satisfied.
Keep losing players.
GG.

P.S. When will you return streaks to the game?

Edited by Voice of Kerensky, 11 December 2022 - 06:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users