Amd 7900 Fe May Have A Heatsink Problem

6 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 07:27 PM

Der Bauer (The Farmer) about AMDs problematic Hotspot temperature impairing performance and differences between horizontally and vertically mounting the FE based designs and resulting temperatures (it makes for some cards a real difference).

I was Wrong - AMD is in BIG Trouble - YouTube

Around minute 15 is the "Flip Test" showing the temp difference.

PS: Der Bauers name in english is not necessarily The Farmer as "bauen" in german stand for "to build" something.
Thus his name could be a play of words and the real meaning is "The Builder".

Edited by Thorqemada, 01 January 2023 - 07:44 PM.

#2 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:59 AM

"...if it really affects the four to six batches of vapor chambers...then the amount of cards affected is even in the high five figures..."
Hotspot problem of AMD’s Radeon RX 7900 XTX (MBA): Even several batches of the vapor chamber affected, replacement of thousands of cards starts | igor'sLAB (igorslab.de)

Luck is only the Founder Edition Design is affected (be it a FE from AMD or an AIB Brand).

Edited by Thorqemada, 05 January 2023 - 03:59 AM.

#3 RaptorPhoenix

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 01:13 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 01 January 2023 - 07:27 PM, said:

Der Bauer (The Farmer) about AMDs problematic Hotspot temperature impairing performance and differences between horizontally and vertically mounting the FE based designs and resulting temperatures (it makes for some cards a real difference).

I was Wrong - AMD is in BIG Trouble - YouTube

Around minute 15 is the "Flip Test" showing the temp difference.

PS: Der Bauers name in english is not necessarily The Farmer as "bauen" in german stand for "to build" something.
Thus his name could be a play of words and the real meaning is "The Builder".

AMD is always the second best, always lower quality than NVIDIA and INTEL, you get what you pay for.

Edited by RaptorPhoenix, 06 January 2023 - 01:14 AM.

#4 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 09:04 PM

Well, if you let me step in here and offer a different pov:
You never get what you pay for - you get what the industry gets away with!

Look at Tesla - overpriced botchy cars hobbled together with to much potentially fault prone alphastatus Tech/Software.
But they are not the only sinners - quality seems a thing of the past when pople where still proud of what they did/worked on/for instead of being jobbers.

#5 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:00 AM

I'm using 6700 XT it just freezes on jet animation when starting the game. I don't have any other problems, I didn't even feel the need to check the temperature. mechwarrior is a stable game. I've never had a problem with any video card. Of course I'm using 2k resolution. I can't say anything for 4k 8k.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 07:00 PM

There can be many sources for fault.
Monitor-Cables are one of them, some people got lower temps on the 7900xtx using a different cable.

Then the PSU, or the house net it is contacted to may be instable, especially memory issues often occur as "graphical" issues.
Its hard to say - i have the 6700xt and 1 game has an issue but that runs on a very weird and outdated engine so it may be simply the engine can no longer keep up with modern GPUs.

And yeah, Chrome flashes once in a while which is a known problem.

#7 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:08 PM

Early 2080 and 2080ti had thermal pad issues too. You would think a billion dollar industry would work the kinks out before producing a few million of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users