New Weapons In 2023

141 replies to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 11:08 AM

dev vlog said something about new weapons, so its definitely on the table again (of course sans weapon models unfortunately). so what do you all want in terms of firepower.

id like to see:

new clan ballistics, they didnt get any in the civil war patch other than light and heavy machine guns. probibly hags.

next id like some more light ballistics, such as lacs and pmacs. possibly things like apgauss and vgls.

vgls and mech mortars would be indirect dumbfire weapons to lob at mechs in cover, perhaps with aoe. the vgl is ballistic, but the mech mortar i think fall under missiles. i figure the vgl would be very short range, while the mech mortar would be more intermediate range.

in missiles perhaps mmls (is equivalent to ams, but with 2 stages instead of 3) and clan mrms. clans dont have any midrange dumfires, while is has 2.

#2 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 11:59 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 January 2023 - 11:08 AM, said:

in missiles perhaps mmls (is equivalent to ams, but with 2 stages instead of 3) and clan mrms. clans dont have any midrange dumfires, while is has 2.

Clans can dumbfire LRMs just like the Sphere, though admittedly to worse effect because of the stream.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:09 PM

May I suggest this, which is achievable already within the existing MWO engine, given enough manpower/resources (OK, everything but the combat pet part anyways):

- - - - - - - - - -
Let's dream big!

New Mech chassis such as Stone Rhino!

New Hero Atlas with ballistic Left Torso *and* Right Torso!

IS gets advanced ATM!, Binary Lasers,
IS gets Silver bullet gauss, Binary lasers or Hyper assault gauss (credits: Beffa)

Pseudo-melee weapons for IS mechs! (10-meter flamer type weapon with no heat, mech arms act with melee attack animation).

Clan gets advanced ER-Pulse-Laser, MRM, RAC, and PPC! New mech chassis!
Angel ECM! Bloodhound Active Probe! Clan set bonus relaxed to Set-of-7 (SO7)!

Premium Combat pets (Elemental, Elemental IIC, Pollux tanks, helicopters, etc.)!

More brand new maps!

Deepened Faction Play experience!

Love to dream big :)

#4 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:19 PM

View PostBy Any Other Name, on 14 January 2023 - 12:07 PM, said:

Clans never had MRMs to my knowledge but I can't think of a suitable swap in for that role from lore weapons.

Dumpfiring c Streaks LRMs could work as mrms. Locked on would track target in direct LoS. No ark - cant be used indirectly.

#5 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 02:16 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 14 January 2023 - 11:59 AM, said:

Clans can dumbfire LRMs just like the Sphere, though admittedly to worse effect because of the stream.

you are talking to the guy who used to dumbfire atms when they still did 3 damage close in. they did so much damage that i didnt bother waiting for the lock to complete most of the time.

View PostBy Any Other Name, on 14 January 2023 - 12:07 PM, said:

Are we in a position to suggest how weapons could function?

If so: HAG could have a Gauss Charge mechanic, with the notable difference of the charge serving to load a salvo. Short charge for a quick 'blip' shot (single slug), longer you charge more slugs in salvo up to the weapon's full rating (20 dmg, 40 dmg etc.) with each individual slug being a fraction of that full damage rating.

IS Silver Bullet Gauss would be simple enough (an LB15X AC with a charge and better velocity).

Clans never had MRMs to my knowledge but I can't think of a suitable swap in for that role from lore weapons.

LAC2 and 5 yes, simple enough.

Plasma weapons maybe?

View Postw0qj, on 14 January 2023 - 12:09 PM, said:

May I suggest this, which is achievable already within the existing MWO engine, given enough manpower/resources

im basing it off fields available in the weapons.xml. im assuming thats all they intend on doing. for the vgl/mortar, having slow arcing projectiles you can lob over a hill is possible. you can fudge the gravity field i suppose. its the aoe im not sure about. as far as i know the only thing that has those are strikes and the long tom. keep in mind these things will do small amounts of aoe damage and are not nukes. i see it as a way to counter hill humpers.

not sure how well some mechanics will play together. like gauss and spread should work. i wish somone from the cauldron would tell me how to do offline testing with a modded xml without getting banned.

i couldnt recall if clans had mrms or not, but i always did want a midrange dumbfire missile for the clans. they probibly dont have rls either, not that those were ever viable anywhere but solaris.

i always figured hag would be a gauss with burst. hag40 would be something like jrrrrrr.....pew pew pew pew! each round being 10 damage, with 2,3,4 rounds depending on hag size. perhaps more salvo delay so its not op. again seems possible. sb same except xy spread instead of z spread.

my vision for lacs is to be burst fire shorter range version of their big boy versions. same general stats otherwise. this makes them less viable for boating on assaults, because the ppfld is better than burst, but for the scoot'n'shoot world of lights and fast mediums it would be fine. pmacs would be the clan version, but same general idea. no special mechanics there.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 January 2023 - 02:23 PM.

#6 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 02:23 PM

I WANT HAGS, I WANT LIGHT AC5s, I WANT HVACs, I WANT X PULSE, I WANT MAGSHOT RIFLES, I WANT AP GAUSS

#7 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 04:43 PM

Ecm that is only ecm. It would be old, but a grand new-old concept.

#8 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 14 January 2023 - 05:00 PM

HAG's I just want HGR but with better range and more damage sign me up

Protomech AC's give mechs with terrible tonnage a decent ballistic to use even tho it might be hard abused by the whale more often than not but still a good weapon to bring in.

MML the IS attempt of ATM could be good to bring in also give pure lrm boats a chance to fight when a light or fast medium gank them around the corner

Chemical Lasers is another good weapon to bring in, with maybe x-pulses with bombast and binary will be good additions

#9 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 06:17 PM

By far my most wanted weapons are Thunderbolt missiles. Hitting mechs with dumbfired Thunderbolt missiles or HRLs in MekTek MW4:M was so much fun, even if you had to lead by an absurd amount sometimes. It'd also be nice to have a longer-range missile that isn't a lock-on.

Any dumbfire indirect artillery weapon like the Thumper or MMLs would be awesome; it'd be an entirely new playstyle for this game and I'd love learning to estimate firing angles and predict enemy movement. It would be ridiculously hard to balance, or design for enjoyable counterplay, but it couldn't be worse than LRMs. Posted Image

It isn't exactly canonical, but I think the Star League-era Enhanced ER-PPC should be added as an alternate C-ER-PPC option. It could be given 12 PPFLD and slightly better heat efficiency at the cost of projectile velocity and splash damage, which would give Clans more than one type of PPC and provide something more similar in terms of role to heavy/standard IS PPCs.

#10 RaptorPhoenix

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 07:23 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 January 2023 - 11:08 AM, said:

dev vlog said something about new weapons, so its definitely on the table again (of course sans weapon models unfortunately). so what do you all want in terms of firepower.

id like to see:

new clan ballistics, they didnt get any in the civil war patch other than light and heavy machine guns. probibly hags.

next id like some more light ballistics, such as lacs and pmacs. possibly things like apgauss and vgls.

vgls and mech mortars would be indirect dumbfire weapons to lob at mechs in cover, perhaps with aoe. the vgl is ballistic, but the mech mortar i think fall under missiles. i figure the vgl would be very short range, while the mech mortar would be more intermediate range.

I want HAGs, they are already available in the current timeline and IS has had OP RACs long enough.

#11 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:18 AM

View PostRaptorPhoenix, on 14 January 2023 - 07:23 PM, said:

I want HAGs, they are already available in the current timeline and IS has had OP RACs long enough.

Clans get RAC's themselves little later in the timeline.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 07:50 AM

View Postsycocys, on 14 January 2023 - 04:43 PM, said:

Ecm that is only ecm. It would be old, but a grand new-old concept.

i always wanted separate gecm and aecm systems.

gecm doesn't cast a bubble in disrupt mode and only covers you, but can be countered by tag, narc or ppc. in counter mode casts a bubble which counters all ecm in the radius and breaks narcs.

aecm is bigger and weighs more, casts a combined disruption/counter bubble that covers all mechs in a larger radius (including the mech with the system) and counters hostile ecm and narc on all protected mechs. tag can be used on all mechs but only the mech under narc is revealed, even if its the mech with the system. you do not need to toggle the system.

remove the ecm stacking rule, i feel like missiles are all but doa because of it, especially when encountering a wall of ecm. i also want to see self tagging provide buffs, but not sure how to go about that.

stealth on either will remove all bubble casing effects while stealth is on and can only self protect. tag and narc will break it, but narc duration is reduced and tag has to be held on. neither breaks stealth, you need a ppc for that. ppc breaks everything.

bap/cap (and possibly bhp) will buff the bubble effects when used on an ecm platform, extends sensor range, detects ecmed, sheathed and shutdown targets. bhp just does it better.

effectively a light version of the electronic warfare used in mwll, so no passive radar or c3i. and im not sure how much of this stuff is hardcoded, so it might be a non starter.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 January 2023 - 07:54 AM.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 09:59 AM

someone posted this in another thread and i feel its pertinent to this discussion.

helps if you paste the link lol.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 January 2023 - 09:59 AM.

#14 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 15 January 2023 - 12:15 PM

Give us HAGs. All variants.
Gauss ACs all da way! HAGs for win!

Advanced heavy lasers? Proper ATM (mea culpa!)?

Thunderbolt to give luv fer sniperz?

Hmmm...

Give us all! :) Just for sure! :P

#15 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2023 - 09:50 PM

X-pulse and chemical lasers would be no brainers.

You could add the old ballistic weapons like MW5 uses.

Light Gauss for clanners as well.

Edited by PocketYoda, 15 January 2023 - 09:51 PM.

#16 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:20 AM

Blasers (Binary Laser) would be a boon to any IS Mechs starved for Energy hardpoints

#17 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:08 AM

Personally like the idea of plasmas being ppcs with ammo. Just like chems. Would be more heat efficient at a cost of ammo. Hags should be basically stronger but burst fire gauss. I'd love thunderbolts as a direct fire mid range missile alternative, with high damage/low ammo preferencies.

Edited by MechB Kotare, 16 January 2023 - 01:17 AM.

#18 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 16 January 2023 - 03:27 AM

View PostMechB Kotare, on 14 January 2023 - 12:19 PM, said:

Dumpfiring c Streaks LRMs could work as mrms. Locked on would track target in direct LoS. No ark - cant be used indirectly.
there were non-cannon Streak MRMs in a mw4 mod but it's my impression that ATMs were suppose to be clan MRms but to do that they'd need to remove the minimium range....

Hyper assault guass fire similar to Rotary Auto cannons they have a spin up bar, when the fire button is pressed it takes a moment for the HAG to charge up to fire similar to the spin up of a RAC while firing the bar fills the larger the HAG the slower the bar fills once the bar fills completely the HAG is on cooldown, unlike RACs the HAg does not jam and the fill bar does not go down if you stop firing....

View PostLordNothing, on 15 January 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

someone posted this in another thread and i feel its pertinent to this discussion.

helps if you paste the link lol.
that would work too for Hags but I don't think a blood kit can carry 20 tons of guns plus ammo without lowering the engine a bit.

https://www.sarna.ne..._Gauss_Rifle_20

inner sphere has too many weapons they don't really need any more

on a side note clan RAcs when?? https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rotary_AC/5 (notice clans have thier own.

Edited by KursedVixen, 16 January 2023 - 03:35 AM.

#19 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 03:38 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 16 January 2023 - 03:27 AM, said:

that would work too for Hags but I don't think a blood kit can carry 20 tons of guns plus ammo without lowering the engine a bit.

In the vid there was obviously an altered client and the Blood Kit was chosen for visibility

#20 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 16 January 2023 - 03:41 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 16 January 2023 - 03:38 AM, said:

In the vid there was obviously an altered client and the Blood Kit was chosen for visibility
yeah i can't fit that much into a blood kit Posted Image either the hag20's are lighter than 10 tons in that altered client or something else was changed.

should've used hunchbackIIC

Edited by KursedVixen, 16 January 2023 - 03:43 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users