#21 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,376 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:00 AM

I'm going to buy all the packages released for Steam. But I don't understand why they are revising old mechs instead of introducing new ones.

#22 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:06 AM

View PostPocketYoda, on 08 May 2023 - 04:48 AM, said:

Well that was a let down..

Nothing to do with the announce. As it is stated on the Steam page, the rivals mech pack is purchasable there since may 5th.

#23 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:37 AM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 08 May 2023 - 05:00 AM, said:

I'm going to buy all the packages released for Steam. But I don't understand why they are revising old mechs instead of introducing new ones.

Reskinning an already existing 'Mech is much easier, cheaper and faster than creating a new 'Mech model from the grounds up.

#24 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 May 2023 - 06:05 AM

View Postepikt, on 08 May 2023 - 05:06 AM, said:

Nothing to do with the announce. As it is stated on the Steam page, the rivals mech pack is purchasable there since may 5th.

Good i was a bit worried.. for some reason i thought today was the 5th

Edited by PocketYoda, 08 May 2023 - 06:26 AM.

#25 Shaitan Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 09:37 AM

https://mwomercs.com/stone-rhino

Very nice! Just what I wanted. Rhino confirmed

Edited by Shaitan Kerensky, 08 May 2023 - 09:37 AM.

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:37 AM

$40

nope. no stone rhino here.

#27 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:08 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 May 2023 - 10:37 AM, said:

$40

nope. no stone rhino here.

Hmmm, the Collector pack doesn't have a (S) variant and the -6 is behind a paywall and was the only one I was really interested in. Early adopter swag is pretty good.

Will wait and see...

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#28 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:42 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 08 May 2023 - 08:33 AM, said:

I wonder if the Stone Rhino is gonna be P2W as well since that's the new direction PGI seems to be taking.

I don't think they are running P2W.

Just yesterday I saw a PIR jump a heavy lance in a confined space and kill three of the four, before taking off and leaving the last mech, crippled, in it's wake. It would have been amazing to see, if I hadn't seen the likes of it so often....

Unless there are some massive changes to this game, big fatties like recent Legendaries and now the Stone Rhino, will continue to be routinely demolished by some of the most common, and cheapest, mechs in the game. Mechs that are all available to the F2P player with NO actual money.

That's a long way from P2W.

I'd argue it's "Pay to lose in style."

Edited by An6ryMan69, 08 May 2023 - 12:49 PM.

#29 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 01:18 PM

TBH from what I've seen of it's geometry, it's going to be on par (or easier) with the fafnir to turn into a useless stick. Super wide, cockpit and arms low slung, and it's not known for it's speed.

#30 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 01:42 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 08 May 2023 - 11:08 AM, said:

Hmmm, the Collector pack doesn't have a (S) variant and the -6 is behind a paywall and was the only one I was really interested in. Early adopter swag is pretty good.

Will wait and see...

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

maybe if they put it up on steam, i still got some bitcoin i want to get rid of.

#31 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:15 PM

Why again is it 48kph when it should be 54kph... that speed nerf is a big deal for something that size...

I can't wait to explode from ghost heat on the 6 variant. i hope these get proper quirks to be able to use their actual loadouts.. def not worth 100AUD if not.

Edited by PocketYoda, 08 May 2023 - 05:24 PM.

#32 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 08 May 2023 - 06:16 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 08 May 2023 - 05:15 PM, said:

Why again is it 48kph when it should be 54kph... that speed nerf is a big deal for something that size...

I can't wait to explode from ghost heat on the 6 variant. i hope these get proper quirks to be able to use their actual loadouts.. def not worth 100AUD if not.

Two variations have a stock 64.8 kph and a 52.7 kph variation that could be speed tweaked if you really wanted to. To be completely fair most Fafnirs do not run over 48.6 kph, and I know the Atlas/Annihilators you see on the battlefield rarely exceed those speeds.

#33 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:39 PM

View PostValdarion Silarius, on 08 May 2023 - 06:16 PM, said:

Two variations have a stock 64.8 kph and a 52.7 kph variation that could be speed tweaked if you really wanted to. To be completely fair most Fafnirs do not run over 48.6 kph, and I know the Atlas/Annihilators you see on the battlefield rarely exceed those speeds.

The Fafnirs are suppose to run 54kph but as you said 48.6, 13 nodes of speed tweak still doesn't get them to 54kph.. That said maybe this mech will get swappable engines so we can choose our speeds..

#34 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:44 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 08 May 2023 - 07:39 PM, said:

That said maybe this mech will get swappable engines so we can choose our speeds..

If by "this mech" you mean the Rhino, it's a battlemech, it will have a customizable engine. Most variants have a 350 cap (56.7kph) and the SR-6 a 400 cap (64.8kph).

#35 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 09 May 2023 - 03:57 AM

View PostPocketYoda, on 08 May 2023 - 07:39 PM, said:

The Fafnirs are suppose to run 54kph but as you said 48.6, 13 nodes of speed tweak still doesn't get them to 54kph.. That said maybe this mech will get swappable engines so we can choose our speeds..

Im sure ive seen this explained to you already, but the speed they are 'supposed' to go is an artifact of the fact that you cannot move 0.5 Hexes in tabletop BattleTech. Run speed is 1.5x walk speed (which is tonnage/engine rating), so anything with a walk speed which is an odd number gets rounded up in tabletop (i.e. a dire is 3/5 not 3/4.5).

Since we dont use hexes in MWO and its real time, there is no need for this rounding to happen and therefore we use speed equivalents for the half hexes. Id also note that your focus on Dire Wolves and other slow mechs seems odd when you consider that this affects an enormous number of mechs (just to start: Timber Wolves, Hellbringers, Ebon Jags, Cougars, Novas, Huntsmen and Gargoyles are movement 5 and therefore get a speed equivalent to 7.5 hex where it was 8 in TT)

#36 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 May 2023 - 06:34 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 09 May 2023 - 03:57 AM, said:

Im sure ive seen this explained to you already, but the speed they are 'supposed' to go is an artifact of the fact that you cannot move 0.5 Hexes in tabletop BattleTech. Run speed is 1.5x walk speed (which is tonnage/engine rating), so anything with a walk speed which is an odd number gets rounded up in tabletop (i.e. a dire is 3/5 not 3/4.5).

Since we dont use hexes in MWO and its real time, there is no need for this rounding to happen and therefore we use speed equivalents for the half hexes. Id also note that your focus on Dire Wolves and other slow mechs seems odd when you consider that this affects an enormous number of mechs (just to start: Timber Wolves, Hellbringers, Ebon Jags, Cougars, Novas, Huntsmen and Gargoyles are movement 5 and therefore get a speed equivalent to 7.5 hex where it was 8 in TT)

In the Sarna page the mech states 54kph.. thats all that matters to me. I'm against all wrong speeds not just slow assaults. I want to see them all fixed.

Edited by PocketYoda, 09 May 2023 - 06:35 AM.

#37 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 09 May 2023 - 06:54 AM

View PostPocketYoda, on 09 May 2023 - 06:34 AM, said:

In the Sarna page the mech states 54kph.. thats all that matters to me. I'm against all wrong speeds not just slow assaults. I want to see them all fixed.

Well, sucks to be you then, i guess. Its not going to change because

1) its actually correct in this game and wrong in tabletop (unless you think that having an odd numbered walk speed should be an advantage over an even number speed for some reason, lol)

2) Its literally impossible for all speeds to be correct in this game. We use one formula to determine speed numbers, but to get TT/Sarna speed values you would need to use two formulas depending on whether it was a mech with an even or odd walk speed. And that still doesnt work, because we can change engine ratings outside of direct multiples of chassis weight.

Fun quiz for you: In your ideal world, a Kodiak moves at 64 kph with a 400 engine, right? Thats what Sarna says. What speed should it be with a 300 engine? If its not 75% of 64 kph (48 kph), explain why. And then explain why a 100 ton Kodiak with a 300 engine should move at a different speed to a 100 ton Dire Wolf with a 300 engine.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 09 May 2023 - 06:54 AM.

#38 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 06:57 AM

View PostPocketYoda, on 09 May 2023 - 06:34 AM, said:

Table-top lore obsessed mech-dads are so funny. Posted Image

#39 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:10 AM

Good looks on the Rhino.
a standard-20$ pack might have seduced me into buying.
40$ for a game I play 2x a year nowadays? not so much.

still a damn sexy mech Posted Image

#40 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:12 AM

Hats off to MWO/PGI this time, they really did some fancy footwork to get MWO folks ready for Stone Rhino beforehand...

~Legendary mechs with ballistic hardpoints galore Posted Image

~Conspiracy Theory: MCII-MWK with 'accidental' 5xAC10 to see what players thought of it

~MAD-IIC-DN 85ton Clan assault with 4x ballistic hardpoints, and I myself was saying, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if this MAD-IIC-DN had 6x ballistic hardpoints [with 2x in its left torso also]? Drumroll... enter this 100ton overgrown Marauder IIC of a Stone Rhino, with...you guessed it... 6x ballistic hardpoints on this SR-4 variant! Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 09 May 2023 - 07:18 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users