Is Omnimechs For Mwo

46 replies to this topic

Poll: IS OmniMech for MWO (62 member(s) have cast votes)

At this point, should IS OmniMechs be in MWO?

1. Yes (56 votes [90.32%])

Percentage of vote: 90.32%

2. No (6 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

How should the XL Engine Problem be handled?

1. Survivability, Armor Quirks and Doubled hitpoints for the side torsos. (16 votes [30.19%])

Percentage of vote: 30.19%

2. Make Light Fusion Engine or Standard Engine Variants for Early Adopters or Add-Ons (4 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

3. New Engine: IS Omni XL Engine (33 votes [62.26%])

Percentage of vote: 62.26%

Vote

#1 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 10:07 AM

Well, it's official, IS Omnis are coming to MWO, starting with the Black Hawk KU: https://mwomercs.com...gends-q2-update
Posted Image

Okay with the recent arrival of the Howl “Legendary” Mech, I believe that it is time that we have Inner sphere Omnis in this game. I was fine with the Arctic Wolf having both BattleMech and OmniMech variants because of lore reasons, but after seeing PGI convert an OmniMech like the Timber Wolf into a Clan BattleMech, this was a perfect opportunity to strike with this thread. It is about time that we actually get IS OmniMechs. Not "Legendary" or Hero Mechs that cuts out their potential like the Crusader-6T did with the Black Hawk KU. While I understand that most of these Inner Sphere Omnis would be a death sentence because of the fact most of them carry XL engines, there are mechs that are speedy enough to make up for that such as the Raptor and Men Shen. There are also OmniMechs that carry ECM hardpoints to compensate. My suggestion to combat this problem is to quirk up the torsos and strengthen their internal and external structures. Further discussion of the inclusion of IS OmniMechs can be found here.

History of MWO Mechs
  • Inner Sphere BattleMechs and technology existed in 2012 (11 years ago).
  • Clan OmniMechs and technology came out first in 2014 with the Clan Wave 1 Pack (9 years ago).
  • Clan BattleMechs came out in 2015 with the Origins Pack (8 years ago).
  • Civil War Era Tech came out in 2017 with the Civil War Pack (6 years ago).
How to mitigate the XL Problem with IS OmniMechs:
  • Give them Survivability Quirks in the Side Torsos for both Internal and External Structures and give their side torsos more armor hitpoints so they could survive hits from multiple AC/20s, Heavy PPCs and Heavy Gauss Rifles
  • Make extra Mech Pack variants that carry a Standard Engine for Early Adopters or Add-Ons
  • Make the OXL for IS Omnis, based on the Clan XL Engine. Only IS Omnimechs will have that engine equipped as IS BattleMechs cannot equip it (they already have the Standard and LFE engines anyway)
Good Mechs to use for Group or Separate Mech Packs:

Light: Raptor - Despite having an XL Engine, it can go to 118 kph. With Speed Tweak, it could reach up to 120+ kph.
Medium: Men Shen - Despite its XL Engine, it could go at 129 with MASC (135+kph with Speed Tweak). Its C configuration also has an ECM hardpoint, turning this mech into the Inner Sphere’s answer to the Black Lanner.
Heavy: Avatar - It is the IS equivalent to the Mad Dog, but with the E configuration having an ECM hardpoint.
Hauptmann - It is the only Assault Omni that has a Standard Engine.

As for technical issues, it is not like the Fire Moth where it cannot be into the game because CryEngine can’t handle its speed or quad mechs not being in the game because the engine does not know how to handle mechs with four legs. PGI decided to give clan technology regular autocannons. They also gave the Inner Sphere more LBX and Ultra Autocannons. While I am glad we are still seeing new types of content, even if a bit slow, the time is now for their chance to shine. Even as they decide to convert Clan Omnis into BattleMechs. This game has now existed for 11 years now and things are now changing. We even have HAGs, Binary Laser Cannons and X-Pulse Lasers now. I believe that it is time for these IS Omnis to get their chance and shine. Now that we have new weapons and the new Legendary Clan Annihilator, Gausszilla, I hope that even the IS OmniMech can get worked out and implemented.

Let's talk about the number of weapons that the Inner Sphere and Clan factions have

Inner Sphere Weapons (Before Civil War Tech and Now) - 25 Weapons
Spoiler

Clan Weapons (Before Civil War Tech and Now) - 34 Weapon Systems
Spoiler

So the Clans had more weapons than the Inner Sphere. So let's bring up the new editions from the Civil War Update.
Inner Sphere Weapons (After Civil War Tech) - 27 Weapons
Spoiler

Clan Weapons (After Civil War Tech) - 11 Weapons
Spoiler

With the Civil War Era Update, the Inner Sphere have more new weapon than The Clans. Lorewise, this was due to both Clan Salvage and the technological renaissance. So this put the IS at 52 weapons, while the Clans have 45 weapons

Finally, let's combine both weapons along with the current (Jihad Era I guess? Seeing how we have Hyper Assault Gauss Rifles) tech.

Inner Sphere Weapons (Now) - 4 Weapons
Spoiler

Clan Weapons (Now) - 4 Weapons
Spoiler

With the current update, this puts the IS at 56 weapons, while the Clans have 49 weapons.

UPDATE: The Black Hawk KU is now the first IS Omni for Mechwarrior Online. Thank you all for your support.

Edited by Will9761, 14 April 2024 - 01:05 AM.

#2 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 09:32 AM

I would give away my arm for Hauptmann - it's one hell of a cool machine. Would be incredible to have it in MWO...

#3 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 12:57 PM

Not only that, it has a FREAKING LASER CIGAR! I love it.
Posted Image

#4 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 02:32 PM

The four you picked are the most viable. Sunder is also POSSIBLY okay, though ISXL assault is asking for pain I think. Avatar is shaky because 64.8kph ISXL heavy. Could be one hell of a damage dumptruck with the right build/quirks. Black Hawk-KU and Templar are also maybes. Templar is another ISXL assault, though. I would opt for Black Hawk-KU over Avatar, and Hauptmann over Sunder and Templar but they are all options.

Strider and Owens will be terrible. I would avoid those.

Edited by the check engine light, 23 June 2023 - 02:38 PM.

#5 nvx 116

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 04:27 AM

Pgi put this idea in mw5 I like it and it doesnt need to touch mwo as it would be a scripting nightmare to put in mwos game engine

#6 xSONOHx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 178 posts
  • LocationEarth (Terra)

Posted 25 June 2023 - 07:04 AM

Fingers crossed they are eventually added.

#7 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 07:07 AM

View Postnvx 116, on 25 June 2023 - 04:27 AM, said:

Pgi put this idea in mw5 I like it and it doesnt need to touch mwo as it would be a scripting nightmare to put in mwos game engine

I'd love to see them in Mechwarrior 6, but I wish I could agree with you on the other half. Take a look at the Clan Mechs for example. You have Clan OmniMechs that came first and then Clan BattleMechs that came out later. So the OmniTech in MWO is there, it's all about the the willpower to add them. If OmniMechs were a scripting nightmare, then Clan Omnis wouldn't exist in this game and we would only have IS and Clan BattleMechs. So that reason doesn't hold that much high water. Now as for the Fire Moth's speed and Melee, those are scripting nightmares for MWO.

Edited by Will9761, 25 June 2023 - 03:02 PM.

#8 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 09:21 AM

How should the XL Problem be handled when it comes to IS OmniMechs?

#9 PaulLeonard

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:50 PM

IS omnimechs are a big part of the IS reaction to the Clan invasion, and sice we have late clan mechs and IS mechs, so don't see why not have them in MWO

#10 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 03:55 PM

IS Omnis have became a staple of BT since the 90's, with them appearing in Mechwarrior 3 back in 1999. It's time that the IS OmniMechs get their chance to shine.

#11 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 03 August 2023 - 12:13 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 23 June 2023 - 02:32 PM, said:

Strider and Owens will be terrible. I would avoid those.

That were really un-kind! Just because they are walkin' sh!ts they deserve some love. Afterall we already have walkin' sh!ts ingame, ja?

#12 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 03:04 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 03 August 2023 - 12:13 PM, said:

That were really un-kind! Just because they are walkin' sh!ts they deserve some love. Afterall we already have walkin' sh!ts ingame, ja?

They will need a LOT of "un-loring" to be something workable. Strider is saddled with a STD engine, Owens with SHS.

#13 Borengar629

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 305 posts
  • Location3rd rock next to sun

Posted 14 August 2023 - 12:00 PM

I am all for the idea, BUT against the invention of a hokuspokus engine to fix the problems they will face. Either it is doable with reasonable quirks and or good hitboxes or they are just not meant to be. Also the idea with the early adopter is horrible. We want to get as many new players into the game as possible. Therefore I always was, am and will be against anything that is only available for a limited period of time. The yearly loyalty variants are as far as they should go.

#14 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 17 August 2023 - 04:28 AM

ONly if your stuck with that IS XL engine for the omnis that come with them. buff the armor but you need to be stuck with that XL. if the design has it.

otherwise, i can change my clan omni engines too.

Edited by KursedVixen, 30 August 2023 - 07:18 AM.

#15 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:03 PM

Of course mechs are gonna stick to their own engines. If you're expecting to see an XL Hauptmann, then no.

Edited by Will9761, 18 November 2023 - 07:54 PM.

#16 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:17 AM

With the arrival of the X-Pulse Lasers and Binary Laser Cannons, they are gonna add so much more for IS Omnis.

#17 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:17 AM

View PostWill9761, on 30 August 2023 - 06:17 AM, said:

With the arrival of the X-Pulse Lasers and Binary Laser Cannons, they are gonna add so much more for IS Omnis.

Like the anti-sniper ArrowIV? Plasma weapons would be also interesting...

#18 Nevermore223

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 03:02 PM

Arrows were awesome in MW4. They took up a lot of space and had a small magazine, but they packed a punch! The only thing was, they did not lock, you had to guide em, like a cruise missle. I had hoped the devs. back then would have put a PIP camera on the nose of the warhead, so you could guide it better...and watch the impact. Implimenting that feature back then would have been hard, if not impossible with the game engine it was using.

#19 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 20 September 2023 - 01:09 AM

View PostWill9761, on 23 June 2023 - 12:57 PM, said:

Not only that, it has a FREAKING LASER CIGAR! I love it.
(...)

Oh boy, fuse the LaserCigar Omnimech the Hauptmann is with the awesomeness of the Awesome and you'll get...

Posted Image

A PopeMech (because it's famously piloted by the the Pope Leo XXI) known as the Regent.

A bit shame that it's a bit "too new" to be considered for implementation. o7

View PostDuke Falcon, on 30 August 2023 - 09:17 AM, said:

Like the anti-sniper ArrowIV? Plasma weapons would be also interesting...

I also would like to see these guns in action as well:

Plasma Cannon – BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)
Plasma rifle – BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)

But besides them:

Laser (Chemical Lasers)– BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)
Bombast Laser – BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)
Mech Mortar – BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)
Light Rifle – BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)
Medium Rifle – BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)
Heavy Rifle – BattleTechWiki (sarna.net)

#20 Nevermore223

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 02:46 AM

can you say...3 LBX 20's

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users