- - - - -

Map And Mode Feedback!

382 replies to this topic

Poll: Map and Mode Feedback (2035 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Large Map?

1. Voted Alpine Peaks (187 votes [9.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

2. Forest Colony (131 votes [6.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.44%

3. Voted Free Worlds Coliseum (114 votes [5.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.61%

4. Frozen City (97 votes [4.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.77%

5. Voted Grim Plexus (447 votes [21.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.99%

6. Polar Highlands (125 votes [6.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.15%

7. Voted Solaris City (314 votes [15.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

8. Terra Therma (58 votes [2.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

9. Terra Therma Crucible (71 votes [3.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.49%

10. Voted Tourmaline Desert (489 votes [24.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.05%

Favorite Medium Map?

1. Caustic Valley (84 votes [4.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

2. Crimson Strait (127 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Emerald Vale (188 votes [9.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.25%

4. Voted HPG Manifold (372 votes [18.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.30%

5. Hellebore Springs (59 votes [2.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

6. Voted Mining Collective (511 votes [25.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.14%

7. Voted River City (189 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

8. Voted Rubellite Oasis (323 votes [15.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.89%

9. Viridian Bog (180 votes [8.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.85%

Favorite Small Map?

1. Voted Canyon Network (705 votes [34.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.68%

2. Voted Ceres Metal Scrapyard (148 votes [7.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.28%

3. Voted Forest Colony Classic (83 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

4. Voted Forest Colony Classic Snow (53 votes [2.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.61%

5. Frozen City Classic (109 votes [5.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Frozen City Classic Night (240 votes [11.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.81%

7. Hibernal Rift (220 votes [10.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.82%

8. Vitric Station (475 votes [23.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.36%

Least Favorite Large Map?

1. Voted Alpine Peaks (668 votes [32.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.86%

2. Forest Colony (121 votes [5.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.95%

3. Free Worlds Coliseum (177 votes [8.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.71%

4. Frozen City (168 votes [8.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.26%

5. Voted Grim Plexus (67 votes [3.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.30%

6. Polar Highlands (155 votes [7.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

7. Voted Solaris City (341 votes [16.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.77%

8. Terra Therma (133 votes [6.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.54%

9. Voted Terra Therma Crucible (139 votes [6.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.84%

10. Tourmaline Desert (64 votes [3.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

Least Favorite Medium Map?

1. Voted Caustic Valley (511 votes [25.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.15%

2. Crimson Strait (154 votes [7.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

3. Voted Emerald Vale (199 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

4. HPG Manifold (165 votes [8.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.12%

5. Voted Hellebore Springs (429 votes [21.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.11%

6. Mining Collective (122 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

7. River City (183 votes [9.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

8. Voted Rubellite Oasis (103 votes [5.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.07%

9. Viridian Bog (166 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Least Favorite Small Map?

1. Canyon Network (212 votes [10.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

2. Voted Ceres Metal Scrapyard (407 votes [20.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.02%

3. Forest Colony Classic (401 votes [19.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

4. Forest Colony Classic Snow (137 votes [6.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

5. Voted Frozen City Classic (239 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Frozen City Classic Night (66 votes [3.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

7. Voted Hibernal Rift (333 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

8. Vitric Station (238 votes [11.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.71%

Favorite Gamemode?

1. Voted Assault (333 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

2. Voted Conquest (422 votes [20.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.76%

3. Incursion (155 votes [7.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

4. Voted Skirmish (486 votes [23.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

5. Voted Domination (637 votes [31.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

Least Favorite Gamemode?

1. Voted Assault (149 votes [7.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.33%

2. Voted Conquest (381 votes [18.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.74%

3. Voted Incursion (997 votes [49.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.04%

4. Skirmish (314 votes [15.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

5. Voted Domination (192 votes [9.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Aeromaxout

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 01:36 PM

The classic Tera Therma and the classic Caustic Valley were my top pics....

And Alpine always seemed better suited for scouting in CW/FP

#102 GravityDrop

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 01:38 PM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 01 August 2023 - 07:14 PM, said:

To clarify a few things that I saw were asked in this thread.

1) Ceres fix in August patch will fix the pink bug for AMD users. That's the primary fix for the map.

2) The map designs comes from Krazzdaxx, we have faith in his work and his ideas.

3) I made this poll to see if I could take what you all liked and didn't like and update the bias of our matchmaker. There are parameters for how often a map or mode shows up, and I wanted to take this information and work with Cauldron and other members at PGI to see if we can update these parameters for something more enjoyable for the players. Not cut out a map entirely, but if something is really hated then reduce the frequency of it showing up.

It would be great to see maps with more Greenery. So much of it is very grey. Everytime Forest Colony, River City, Crimson, Bog, etc. get selected i'm always thrilled to play them moreso than the others like HPG, Hellbore, Frozen City, etc. with no life to them.

I saw a comment on here regarding a previous event where we ran Faction style drop decks, but were playing the regular QP maps like Forest Colony, HPG, etc. and regular game modes. It was really refreshing to play that mode you guys made up in the event and would love to see it more. The game needs more life fed into it, something that the specific event mode definitely did, seemed like that event was just packed.

Edited by GravityDrop, 02 August 2023 - 01:39 PM.

#103 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 01:46 PM

Bog is gorgeous. I don't get much in the way of performance issues with it and my settings are mostly fairly high. Favorite Medium map, Rubellite is a close second.

#104 Frozen Spirit Jac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 02:15 PM

I always see Alpine Peaks as a favorite, very rarely seen. I agree some game modes shouldn't been played on large maps. Alpine Peaks is really a Skirmish map only. Every other game mode, people struggle to know what to prioritize. I disagree with Alpine Peaks negative feedback saying it is only fought in the same location on the map (them not considering game modes) literally so many location have been fought all over that map dating back since it was first launched. What it comes down to is that simply people always want something new, and seeing that Alpine Peaks (Twin Peaks) is one of the last few classics.

I do agree and improvement can / should be made to the map, but overall. It is a long time favorite if you know how to use it.

#105 bilagaana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 02:27 PM

I'm definitely not a statistician, but wouldn't ranked choices have provided more useful information?

#106 lazyhate101

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 03:10 PM

Classic Caustic Valley when? the old map was huge. always had a blast when I was on that map and I miss playing on it.

Edited by lazyhate101, 02 August 2023 - 03:12 PM.

#107 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 02 August 2023 - 03:34 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 02 August 2023 - 03:23 PM, said:

Yes and add classic Polar to that. Let people in game vote for what they like to play and don't just take away options.
classic HPG

View PostLockheed_, on 02 August 2023 - 02:34 PM, said:

Last few matches on Alpine we always ended up playing in an unusual way and it was really well received. People were just happy not to play the same old same old locations and IMO only a map the size of Alpine really allows this kind of game play where you suddenly find yourself in a corner of the map that you rarely have been before. Same with Old Polar btw. I don't what what sparked this but in the last weeks of Old Polar people suddenly started to play around other areas of the map and we ended dup fighting around some of the building complexes more towards the fringes of the map. These were some of the most memorable matches I had. That would never have been possible on a small map where you have no room to go somewhere else, like canyon etc. I can't remember having a memorable match on canyon or vitric ever. It's always the same boring shite.
I miss when alpine use to be a war over the mountain if only the cap point on domination were moved out of that circle it'd be great.

Old polar was Trench warfare with LRMs there was no cover at all...

I played one game of Solaris city where my team stayed where they spawned and let the enemy come to us worked very well I can see it working in Skirmish and assault.

And i can't stress this enough Please, put turrets back in on assault!

Edited by KursedVixen, 02 August 2023 - 03:37 PM.

#108 Tsuruki

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 04:01 PM

It's hard to pick caus I like most of them and the voting system tends to keep me out of the worse ones.

But, Incursions plain suck in quickplay, and I've felt that certain combinations are less fun than others.

I've noticed in ceres graveyard that when you play Domination, it's not unusual that one team gets pushed out of the ring and has to push back, which is a huge upgrade to that gamemode over the usual "Deathmatch in the middle", if it's not a straight upgrade, then it's a nice change from the usual.

On the flipside a bunch of maps are a bit unfun in certain modes, running for points on too large a map is a chore, brawling deathmatch on maps with very particular spawnpoints that dont allow for positioning are iffy.

Imho I'dd like to see a new mode that incentivises exploration of unused parts of maps, this obviously would require some sort of "heatmap" tracking of maps to see how players move and engage in this game in general.

Maybe some sort of supply drop function could be used to generate objectives at insofar little used areas?

#109 Deusduce2

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWashington, US

Posted 02 August 2023 - 04:23 PM

Anyone who voted anything other than "conquest" as their least favorite game mode is a chub.

#110 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 05:20 PM

im mostly in agreement with the top votes here. in most cases i actually voted for the most or second most popular vote. except for least favorite small map, i voted frozen city classic, the 4th most popular, because you cant see **** in that map. but i guess people had all their hate focused on the new map (everybody hates new maps because they feel like newbs again for their lack of map knowledge), hibernal (and the only reason i dont like that one is that its a blatant reskin), and forest was a little meh, but im gonna pick the one that makes you run in thermo because there is no visibility.

similar pattern with modes, i guess everyone hates incursion, i picked skirmish as #1, and was surprised more people liked domination. i guess the notion that everyone just wants to shoot robbits is bupkis, maybe they just want to brawl. latter seems most likely.

i should point out my opinion about modes changes greatly outside of quick play. with a drop deck and an appropriate clock length and cap goal, conquest is the best mode. likewise incursion becomes more interesting and loses its slot as the worst, not the best mind you. domination becomes the worst. because it just takes one lethargic team and one aggressive team and the match may as well been a game of solaris (which sucks if you queued up for fp).

Edited by LordNothing, 02 August 2023 - 05:23 PM.

#111 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 05:24 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 August 2023 - 05:20 PM, said:

im mostly in agreement with the top votes here. in most cases i actually voted for the most or second most popular vote. except for least favorite small map, i voted frozen city classic, the 4th most popular, because you cant see **** in that map. but i guess people had all their hate focused on the new map (everybody hates new maps because they feel like newbs again for their lack of map knowledge), hibernal (and the only reason i dont like that one is that its a blatant reskin), and forest was a little meh, but im gonna pick the one that makes you run in thermo because there is no visibility.

similar pattern with modes, i guess everyone hates incursion, i picked skirmish as #1, and was surprised more people liked domination. i guess the notion that everyone just wants to shoot robbits is bupkis, maybe they just want to brawl. latter seems most likely.

i should point out my opinion about modes changes greatly outside of quick play. with a drop deck and an appropriate clock length and cap goal, conquest is the best mode. likewise incursion becomes more interesting and loses its slot as the worst, not the best mind you. domination becomes the worst. because it just takes one lethargic team and one aggressive team and the match may as well been a game of solaris (which sucks if you queued up for fp).

Incursion EQ could actually be fun. Beef up the turrets a bit. And replace the Air Control thing with... something else that's actually useful.

Edited by the check engine light, 02 August 2023 - 05:24 PM.

#112 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 05:26 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 02 August 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

Incursion EQ could actually be fun. Beef up the turrets a bit. And replace the Air Control thing with... something else that's actually useful.

incursion isnt bad, its just that when you play it in qp, its skirmish. there is very little reason to play for the bases when you can just kill everyone and end it. its not suited to qp at all. give it a deck and you got to worry about sneaks and actually bother putting in batteries. air control comes into play, you can time it with enemy respawn. in qp, nobodys in the base.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 August 2023 - 05:31 PM.

#113 W4R GOD

• PipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 05:32 PM

Kraz did an awesome job on the new map. Small tweaks and its perfect.

Delete Alpine Peaks, its garbage and always was.

Siege mode, best mode.

#114 MitchellAvellar

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 06:24 PM

Thank you for taking the poll. I'd just like to say too thank you for all the work on the new maps. Mostly, they seem great. I agree also with one of the other posters who said that he likes how on Canyon the fight doesn't always devolve in to a rotation around a central point, so anything you can do to make other maps work that way would be great. My only and chief complaint is that the structures added to Free Worlds Colosseum are too much. I mean, even I, a LRM proponent, thought something needed to be done to reduce their effectiveness there, but it was way overkill. It went from being my first choice every time to my last, even behind Solaris City. Just take like half of those giant tower structures back out and it should be a fun map again.

#115 ESC 907

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 213 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 02 August 2023 - 06:44 PM

I am still hoping to see a more linear map. Cannot have Nascar if the op4 is straight ahead and the team is more-or-less funneled into each other. Like the teams are meeting at the floor of a large canyon, with only the occasional outcropping of rock for cover. And maybe there can be ledges or tunnels up high in the cliff-faces for smaller/jump-capable 'Mechs?

#116 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 06:55 PM

Crimson Strait and River City need do overs.

To me the most important parts of a map:
Cover
High ground
Choke Points
Conquest shape (Crimson Strait is an example bad)
Assault Shape (again Crimson Strait is bad while Mining Colony is good)
Line of Sight
Get rid of incursion
Visibility

Then the size, I do NOT want to walk for 2 minutes before establishing cover

Then the very least of my worries is how pretty it looks. I lived in the golden eye era, it was ugly.

Pay an influencer outside the MWO community to do a sponsored add.

GG

#117 ChibiMecha

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 07:32 PM

In general, i think brawlers need something for the new maps.

Most of the time seeing a lot of long range or sniper builds and people are just nascaring but even further away than before; an example from the newest map the scrapyards, the water paths are long narrow halls with steep mountains on either side that make it so people need to either be a sniper or have jump jets; assault mechs that cant fly and/or are close range suffer a lot here.

As a preferred brawler myself, i understand it does need a balance so that close range doesn't get too strong, but currently brawling is a lot more rare; most of my friends who used to play MWO left because of how overpowering long range can be lately. Might need to do something to help the close range builds; going back to scrapyards: one option could be to make more lower hills, ramps, or paths, so slower assaults and close range builds aren't trapped in the narrow halls in the water for snipers to pick off so easily.

#118 Lajur Kas

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOrestes Rally Point

Posted 02 August 2023 - 07:43 PM

It would be interesting to see these votes filtered through Tier ratings. Domination Mode is just Skirmish with a training wheel. Maybe split some map mode combos toward toward Tier4/5 and Tier 1/2.

#119 F i s s i o n

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 07:47 PM

There's been talk and promises made (since at least January to my knowledge) regarding increasing the dom circle time with faction play and other drop deck variants from 1.5 mins to 2.5-3 mins - this allows more opportunity for come backs and making it back in the circle without the game ending too early, while you can still win based on the timer if it's a close game. Please make this happen in the next patch

Edited by F i s s i o n, 02 August 2023 - 07:52 PM.

#120 Loudkitty

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 07:48 PM

I love events with infinite jjs, infinite heat, or infinite ammo. <3 Weird

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users