- - - - -

Map And Mode Feedback!

382 replies to this topic

Poll: Map and Mode Feedback (2035 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Large Map?

1. Voted Alpine Peaks (187 votes [9.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

2. Forest Colony (131 votes [6.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.44%

3. Voted Free Worlds Coliseum (114 votes [5.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.61%

4. Frozen City (97 votes [4.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.77%

5. Voted Grim Plexus (447 votes [21.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.99%

6. Polar Highlands (125 votes [6.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.15%

7. Voted Solaris City (314 votes [15.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

8. Terra Therma (58 votes [2.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

9. Terra Therma Crucible (71 votes [3.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.49%

10. Voted Tourmaline Desert (489 votes [24.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.05%

Favorite Medium Map?

1. Caustic Valley (84 votes [4.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

2. Crimson Strait (127 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Emerald Vale (188 votes [9.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.25%

4. Voted HPG Manifold (372 votes [18.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.30%

5. Hellebore Springs (59 votes [2.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

6. Voted Mining Collective (511 votes [25.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.14%

7. Voted River City (189 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

8. Voted Rubellite Oasis (323 votes [15.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.89%

9. Viridian Bog (180 votes [8.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.85%

Favorite Small Map?

1. Voted Canyon Network (705 votes [34.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.68%

2. Voted Ceres Metal Scrapyard (148 votes [7.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.28%

3. Voted Forest Colony Classic (83 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

4. Voted Forest Colony Classic Snow (53 votes [2.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.61%

5. Frozen City Classic (109 votes [5.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Frozen City Classic Night (240 votes [11.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.81%

7. Hibernal Rift (220 votes [10.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.82%

8. Vitric Station (475 votes [23.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.36%

Least Favorite Large Map?

1. Voted Alpine Peaks (668 votes [32.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.86%

2. Forest Colony (121 votes [5.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.95%

3. Free Worlds Coliseum (177 votes [8.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.71%

4. Frozen City (168 votes [8.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.26%

5. Voted Grim Plexus (67 votes [3.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.30%

6. Polar Highlands (155 votes [7.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

7. Voted Solaris City (341 votes [16.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.77%

8. Terra Therma (133 votes [6.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.54%

9. Voted Terra Therma Crucible (139 votes [6.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.84%

10. Tourmaline Desert (64 votes [3.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

Least Favorite Medium Map?

1. Voted Caustic Valley (511 votes [25.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.15%

2. Crimson Strait (154 votes [7.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

3. Voted Emerald Vale (199 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

4. HPG Manifold (165 votes [8.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.12%

5. Voted Hellebore Springs (429 votes [21.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.11%

6. Mining Collective (122 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

7. River City (183 votes [9.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

8. Voted Rubellite Oasis (103 votes [5.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.07%

9. Viridian Bog (166 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Least Favorite Small Map?

1. Canyon Network (212 votes [10.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

2. Voted Ceres Metal Scrapyard (407 votes [20.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.02%

3. Forest Colony Classic (401 votes [19.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

4. Forest Colony Classic Snow (137 votes [6.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

5. Voted Frozen City Classic (239 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Frozen City Classic Night (66 votes [3.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

7. Voted Hibernal Rift (333 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

8. Vitric Station (238 votes [11.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.71%

Favorite Gamemode?

1. Voted Assault (333 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

2. Voted Conquest (422 votes [20.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.76%

3. Incursion (155 votes [7.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

4. Voted Skirmish (486 votes [23.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

5. Voted Domination (637 votes [31.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

Least Favorite Gamemode?

1. Voted Assault (149 votes [7.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.33%

2. Voted Conquest (381 votes [18.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.74%

3. Voted Incursion (997 votes [49.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.04%

4. Skirmish (314 votes [15.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

5. Voted Domination (192 votes [9.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#341 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:21 PM

But it doesn't feel terrible. It may confuse people who haven't been playing that long, but it actually forces people to fight each other for the control zone, rather than scattering out to their favorite hiding rock - and that makes for better fights. Take Skirmish as an opposite example; you have people with no objective but "kill the enemy team," so there's nothing actually making someone leave their 1337 Sn1par Sp077 and helping out. And you will see people with long range guns just camp someplace with long sight lines and refuse to move.

Domination fixes that somewhat, giving players an incentive to close with the enemy and fight. It empowers short and mid-range builds a bit, while still allowing long-range 'mech configurations to be effective. You don't even have to stay in the circle. One 'mech inside will stop capture as well as 12, and a good harasser can slow or stop the enemy's cap from outside the circle if you need to do that. It's just a more robust game mode than "kill everyone," or "kill everyone but they might troll cap your base." Not everyone likes it best, but it's really not surprising that Domination is well-liked.

#342 Felsen

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 09:44 PM

No matter what battle mode is selected, it almost always ends up as a "kill 'em all" game. It would be nice to have more games won based on the primary objectives than just wiping out the other team.

#343 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 October 2023 - 01:01 PM

It's hard to balance those objectives when the 'mech capabilities are so random - that's why Incursion went by the wayside, at least in part.

#344 John Otis

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2023 - 03:07 PM

PGI, stop listening to what the «Cauldron» is telling you. Thanks to their advice, the game is dominated by long-range weapons. Melee is effectively dead. There are very strange people sitting in the «Cauldron» who want to bend the game for themselves.

#345 Asylum Choir

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 05:01 AM

View PostFelsen, on 26 October 2023 - 09:44 PM, said:

No matter what battle mode is selected, it almost always ends up as a "kill 'em all" game. It would be nice to have more games won based on the primary objectives than just wiping out the other team.

This.
I am tired of being made to play skirmish by the players. Please make mode random again.

#346 John Otis

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 09:21 AM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 31 October 2023 - 05:01 AM, said:

This.
I am tired of being made to play skirmish by the players. Please make mode random again.

I like "Skirmish" and "Domination" modes and don't like "Assault" and "Conquest" ones. A gamer should be able to refuse to play the mode that is not interesting to him, as well as refuse to play on maps that he doesn't like.

#347 Kamiko Kross

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 10:45 AM

View PostJohn Otis, on 31 October 2023 - 09:21 AM, said:

I like "Skirmish" and "Domination" modes and don't like "Assault" and "Conquest" ones. A gamer should be able to refuse to play the mode that is not interesting to him, as well as refuse to play on maps that he doesn't like.

Sadly though, you would be able to force me to skirmish:(

#348 John Otis

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 11:51 AM

View PostKamiko Kross, on 31 October 2023 - 10:45 AM, said:

Sadly though, you would be able to force me to skirmish:(

It is necessary to add a section in the game settings in which the user can specify game modes and maps that he doesn't want to play on.  If, for example, I've choose an assault Mech with a brawler build, the last thing I'd like to do is play on "Alpine Peaks".

#349 Crazyindianjoe

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 05:29 AM

One of my favorite MWO event memories was the "Foolish things to do in MWO this weekend" event for April Fool's this year where the only way to achieve the event reward "This is the frustrating one - sorry" was to play the objective.

https://mwomercs.com/events/440

It happened a few times in different matches but the one that stands out for me is one on Emerald Vale where it came down to a Rifleman(?) and a Kitfox against an Annihilator with no side torsos, no weapons, slowly but surely crawling towards it's own home cap. The Rifleman and Kitfox still had weapons and could drop the Annihilator at any time but they needed to win by cap for the event reward. So the Rifleman was capping and the Kitfox was desperately trying to get in the way of the Annihilator to stop it from getting to the cap. It was absolutely hilarious to watch this tiny Kitfox stubbornly pushing against the shins of a completely harmless Annihilator. That was a win that was both earned and memorable.

There should be more options available than every match being able to degenerate into kill em all. Conquest is interesting because if you've capped enough it still allows you to win even if your whole team dies. There's a reason why it's the chosen mode in Comp. There's been numerous matches where your side won because the your last remaining guy managed to delay the opposing team long enough for you to win by cap. Skirmish can be interesting in that it allows you do go different routes and try different tactics. You can use the whole map! Not that many people do but anything that encourages people to use the entirety of the map rather than a small portion of it is good. With that being said, Domination is not interesting as it forces you to fight in the same spot every time and people are disappointed if you win by counting out the circle. I may be in the minority (pun intended) but my favourite mode was Incursion because it forced you to play the mode. In all honesty Assault is just a sad and inferior version of Incursion and Conquest. If we're going to have a base to capture there should be something we need to do rather than just sit on it. Having fuel cells and radar, jamming, etc. gives lights something to do while the slow *** assaults are getting into position and provides valuable intel. Having buildings that take time to destroy while turrets are shooting at you is a lot better than a single cap point that two lights with capture accelerator can cap in like 30 seconds. Even if the whole opposing team beelines it to your base it'll still take time for them to destroy it in Incursion whereas in Assault the match is over in seconds with nary a shot being fired.

#350 Reckless Impulse

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 09:41 PM

Is this the right palce to talk about maps? In Bear Claw 2 the map has a crevasse between the top corner connecting E3 and E2 that a mech can fall into and not get out, pretty sad to need to use the eject for that.

#351 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:01 PM

View PostReckless Impulse, on 25 November 2023 - 09:41 PM, said:

Is this the right palce to talk about maps? In Bear Claw 2 the map has a crevasse between the top corner connecting E3 and E2 that a mech can fall into and not get out, pretty sad to need to use the eject for that.

There's actually a specific forum for that - Bear Claw II doesn't have its own subforum yet, but there's a thread about your issue Here.

#352 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 05:35 PM

I swear to god playing lately is like wanting linguine with pesto and garlic bread for dinner but having that little brother who screams and holds his breath until mom just ******* makes hot dogs for the 11th time in a goddamn row, with the map selections

Edited by the check engine light, 04 December 2023 - 05:36 PM.

#353 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:15 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 04 December 2023 - 05:35 PM, said:

I swear to god playing lately is like wanting linguine with pesto and garlic bread for dinner but having that little brother who screams and holds his breath until mom just ******* makes hot dogs for the 11th time in a goddamn row, with the map selections

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could not agree more last night I played Canyon Ex least 10 times and 3 right in a row the MAP voting system needs to take a long walk off of a short pier. For far to long has this crappy system been in place and MWO needs to go back to a random map system so we can once again play all the maps in the game.

Plus, I would not mind if we also had random game modes as well to stop the Domination boredom in game play PGI you have made the game boring and horrible leaving this system in place for so long heck we don't even get to play the new maps very often which just plain stinks.

#354 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 December 2023 - 12:47 PM

But then we'd have to play Alpine Peaks, and nobody deserves to be punished like that.

I'm serious. The map voting system is worthwhile purely for the ability to avoid Alpine Peaks. Similarly, loadouts like ATMs, LRMs, or brawling have some maps that are dramatically less effective for them. If we just go pure random map rotation, you're going to see players gravitate toward weapon loadouts and strategies that aren't penalized so much by those maps.

As the poster child for why map voting is a thing, having a brawling loadout on Alpine Peaks is a punishment: it's literally like this:
Posted Image

So I think it might be better to improve maps that aren't upvoted as often, and retain player agency about what map to play.

#355 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2023 - 03:01 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 28 December 2023 - 12:47 PM, said:

But then we'd have to play Alpine Peaks, and nobody deserves to be punished like that.

I'm serious. The map voting system is worthwhile purely for the ability to avoid Alpine Peaks. Similarly, loadouts like ATMs, LRMs, or brawling have some maps that are dramatically less effective for them. If we just go pure random map rotation, you're going to see players gravitate toward weapon loadouts and strategies that aren't penalized so much by those maps.

As the poster child for why map voting is a thing, having a brawling loadout on Alpine Peaks is a punishment: it's literally like this:
Posted Image

So I think it might be better to improve maps that aren't upvoted as often, and retain player agency about what map to play.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like so many others you just do not want to admit you would have to learn better tactics to win matches on any map MWO has there are no bad maps in MWO there all good maps with a few bugs if you and others that cannot adapt to all the maps MWO has to offer. Then I SUGGEST YOU GO LOOK IN A MIRRIOR and you will see the true problem it is yourselves.

#356 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 December 2023 - 03:56 PM

The true enemy is apparently punctuation - and logical thought. There is no reasonable person who can honestly claim that Alpine Peaks does not yield a massive advantage to long-range builds, and place brawlers at a severe disadvantage. The urban terrain in Solaris is crippling for LRM and ATM builds as well, for another example. If you want to play those builds, it's really annoying to draw a heavily occluded map - and forcing people to just roll the dice when some maps significantly cripple a build style isn't a good idea. You can scream "get gud" in an unformatted wall of text and insults as much as you like; it's not going to change the actual facts of map topography. If there is a significant risk of getting a map like Alpine, where you literally lose the match in the mechlab, people are just going to play those builds less. So the game is going to have more people playing the long-range, PPFLD meta that's already dominating. Congratulations! You've just made the game more "boring and horrible" - and we haven't even talked about mixing in random game modes on top of it. Just for starters, one of the ways to mitigate Alpine's painful imbalance is to select a map mode other than Assault/Skirmish.

So the map voting system isn't the problem; it's not making the game "terrible and unfun" because you have to play maps you don't like as well as often as you'd prefer. The problem is you - go contemplate your metaphorical mirror, and don't rage at me when I question your agitation for the removal of other players' choices.

PS: the day I take game advice from a poster child for the Dunning-Kruger Effect, it's time for me to hang up my neurohelmet.

#357 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2023 - 06:50 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 28 December 2023 - 03:56 PM, said:

The true enemy is apparently punctuation - and logical thought. There is no reasonable person who can honestly claim that Alpine Peaks does not yield a massive advantage to long-range builds, and place brawlers at a severe disadvantage. The urban terrain in Solaris is crippling for LRM and ATM builds as well, for another example. If you want to play those builds, it's really annoying to draw a heavily occluded map - and forcing people to just roll the dice when some maps significantly cripple a build style isn't a good idea. You can scream "get gud" in an unformatted wall of text and insults as much as you like; it's not going to change the actual facts of map topography. If there is a significant risk of getting a map like Alpine, where you literally lose the match in the mechlab, people are just going to play those builds less. So the game is going to have more people playing the long-range, PPFLD meta that's already dominating. Congratulations! You've just made the game more "boring and horrible" - and we haven't even talked about mixing in random game modes on top of it. Just for starters, one of the ways to mitigate Alpine's painful imbalance is to select a map mode other than Assault/Skirmish.

So the map voting system isn't the problem; it's not making the game "terrible and unfun" because you have to play maps you don't like as well as often as you'd prefer. The problem is you - go contemplate your metaphorical mirror, and don't rage at me when I question your agitation for the removal of other players' choices.

PS: the day I take game advice from a poster child for the Dunning-Kruger Effect, it's time for me to hang up my neurohelmet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think many of you are just scared to play all the maps and are unwilling to learn the team tactics that would give you all a win I see it all the time but Random map mode in this game WAS FAR MORE FUN THAN THIS INSANE MAP VOTING SYSTEM and no matter your build you can be effective and get kills and wins on any map MWO has to offer.

And yes, it is totally unfun and boring playing the same few maps every night for years so many players I have on my friend list finally said enough I'm gone I will not play this game anymore and one of the main factors was the terrible mini map system along with other issues of not fixing critical things in MWO.

So, I leave you with this quote as it fits those that think the mini map system is ok. ( “Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” ...).

P. S you also spelled Nuro Helmet wrong.

Edited by KingCobra, 29 December 2023 - 06:56 AM.

#358 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 11:44 AM

...wat

no it's neurohelmet dude

As far as voting? Kill/redo Alpine, undo the weighting or otherwise hinder constant repeats, it'd be fine. I'm ready to request scorched earth approaches because I am tired of negotiating with obstinate people demanding that everyone settle for less. I won't pretend for an iotasecond that I am okay with my playtime being dragged along and made staler by anyone else's insatiable appetite for dullness.

Edited by the check engine light, 29 December 2023 - 11:46 AM.

#359 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 December 2023 - 12:07 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 29 December 2023 - 06:50 AM, said:

P. S you also spelled Nuro Helmet wrong.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

No one cares, or should care, what you think other people's motivations are. Especially when you live in a fairy-tale storybook land where LRMs can fire through buildings if you just care enough. No amount of skill is going to make a 310m weapon system competitive over the vast distances involved in Alpine Peaks, and no amount of ad hominem sophistry on your part is going to change that.

As for the map voting system, I don't mind if we change it up, but... the multiplier literally exists to allow people to play the less-popular maps. If it's not working well enough, well, that's one for the suggestion box, as it were, but as long as we do have a voting system that's capable of discouraging bad matchups like LRMs and Solaris, or Alpine and anything ranged under 800m, I'm fine with it in principle.

#360 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2023 - 05:09 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 29 December 2023 - 12:07 PM, said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

No one cares, or should care, what you think other people's motivations are. Especially when you live in a fairy-tale storybook land where LRMs can fire through buildings if you just care enough. No amount of skill is going to make a 310m weapon system competitive over the vast distances involved in Alpine Peaks, and no amount of ad hominem sophistry on your part is going to change that.

As for the map voting system, I don't mind if we change it up, but... the multiplier literally exists to allow people to play the less-popular maps. If it's not working well enough, well, that's one for the suggestion box, as it were, but as long as we do have a voting system that's capable of discouraging bad matchups like LRMs and Solaris, or Alpine and anything ranged under 800m, I'm fine with it in principle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure most people know by now the map voting system we have has never really worked to balance anything its only function was to allow the same few maps to be played for years. And you could not build that system to balance mech choice per map it was all random mech choices by players with many varied weapon systems.

I truly cannot believe you thought the map voting system could actually balance mech choice/weapon systems to a map choice it was all this fantastic dream in your mind and in reality, players have no real choice unless they build a great amount of points and vote for a map they rarely get to play and be very lucky to get their map choice.

Edited by KingCobra, 29 December 2023 - 05:11 PM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users