97 replies to this topic

#21 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:17 PM

View PostCurccu, on 10 August 2023 - 08:23 AM, said:

No you join comp team, nothing to do with your unit.

...ok, I thought I had it clear...how do I join a Comp team?

#22 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:13 PM

View Postsimon1812, on 10 August 2023 - 08:17 PM, said:

...ok, I thought I had it clear...how do I join a Comp team?

I would reply to this that go to Discord but saw your previous post.... so, I don't know ask here and do post in https://mwomercs.com...12#entry6505012 like you already did.

#23 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 04:11 AM

Ok , I can't join or create a team until august 22nd...it is incredible the things one learns when calming down and reading instructions carefully...sorry… adhd it's a b****

#24 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 07:09 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 10 August 2023 - 07:30 PM, said:

Are loadouts/chassis typically something hammered out between teammates or does the team leader kind of assign them?

Every team does it differently. There's no ingame interface for assigning chassis/loadouts. So all that stuff would happen out of game via some chat or spreadsheet.

If you plan to be competitive, it'd probably be best to get people together to coordinate builds.

If you are just having fun, the hardest part is just making sure you follow the tonnage, class, and chassis limit requirements.

So even if you're not planning to be competitive, a little bit of coordination time outside of queue hours means that you can maximize your play time instead of going back and forth with "well, I wanted to bring a HBK, but I need 5 more tons, can someone drop tonnage?" etc.

#25 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 11 August 2023 - 09:34 AM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 11 August 2023 - 07:09 AM, said:

Every team does it differently. There's no ingame interface for assigning chassis/loadouts. So all that stuff would happen out of game via some chat or spreadsheet.

If you plan to be competitive, it'd probably be best to get people together to coordinate builds.

If you are just having fun, the hardest part is just making sure you follow the tonnage, class, and chassis limit requirements.

So even if you're not planning to be competitive, a little bit of coordination time outside of queue hours means that you can maximize your play time instead of going back and forth with "well, I wanted to bring a HBK, but I need 5 more tons, can someone drop tonnage?" etc.

even in top teams, it ends up being sth like the TL saying "hey, I think XYZ would be good here", and then going back and forth with improvements or changes to the exact build

#26 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 03:24 PM

View Posthypographia, on 10 August 2023 - 07:21 PM, said:

Light pilot here. Looking forward to this, though Thursdays are probably out for me. Oh and my Jarl's isn't frame-worthy. Still... you need a light pilot? Posted Image

View Postthe check engine light, on 10 August 2023 - 07:30 PM, said:

Are loadouts/chassis typically something hammered out between teammates or does the team leader kind of assign them?

Strongly recommend joining the MWO Comp discord to find a team: https://discord.gg/6wxM5hC

post in the #player_recruitment channel

#27 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 August 2023 - 04:19 AM

I'm not a comp play person, but if i was going to try i'd hit up comp youtube videos to get an idea.

#28 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 03:24 AM

I have been playing MechWarrior games for 30 years and it's my favorite franchise of all time. I would absolutely love to be able to play competitively. I've played in competitions in other games a pretty fair number of times. But... having to devote two days a week for two months and find seven other people who can also do so and all be online at the same time for all those days, and then if you make it to stage 3 having another two months that are probably even more restrictive... it's such a massive barrier to entry. I'm honestly a bit salty. How are there that many people in the game with that kind of free time?

#29 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 16 August 2023 - 11:46 AM

I wish once I could try this Comp Play thing. But may not find either a team what may accept me or the necessary free time to take part into all matches of my team (if first problem solved)...
The rewards looks really nice. From those MCs I could buy camo for my mechs...

#30 Rhaelcan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:02 PM

Honestly, back in 2022, I liked playing with my rewards team, just chilling, playing and trying to be coordinated. Honestly one of my favorite experiences, and now it got me to where I am on this game I feel, which being able to communicate a little better.

#31 TheTrout

Rookie

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:05 PM

The Slander :)

#32 Yami No Tenshi

• Pip
  • Compie
  • Compie
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIn your walls

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:06 PM

Being new to the MWO competitive scene my favorite experience so far was during blood league while playing for DSC. In the last few games against SROT in the tournament I was able to witness a legged near dead firestarter survive by itself for far too long (at least a solid minute) against a direwolf by kiting it around a pole in the basement of HPG as well as getting to witness Hollow's giga flank to go cap a point at the back of the map and then watch our 2 blood asps out duel 2 direwolfs for the win, was a really fun and super close game. Looking forward to CS23 and hopefully getting a team decal added to the game as well as seeing what shenanigans will occur in comp queue.
https://youtu.be/VUiCAr9UWqk?t=3678

Edited by Yami No Tenshi, 18 August 2023 - 08:07 PM.

#33 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:07 PM

My favorite comp-related memory is probably playing 228BW in CS19 to get into the Grand Finals.

#34 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:41 PM

I grew up watching EMP, EON and RJF playing in MWO championships. I'm playing comps now since 2018. My favourite MWO comp experience was a moment I realized how me and my team grow. It was in COMP 2022 when my team won a match vs RJF on Mining. For me, they were the best russian comp team. And we won 1 match, and then another one. It wasn't easy. And that feeling, that "wow! We can beat them now" was a tear-dropping to me. To be a part of this, to fight best teams is a very exciting thing. It's a cybersport. And I like MWO for the fact that... skill is almost everything here. Not random stuff, not luck. Just trainings and your personal skill.

#35 PeteZonee

• PipPip
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 August 2023 - 08:48 PM

I've been playing on and off since 2012, and there's been lots of good moments throughout the years but my favourite by far was being in an oceanic team that ended up in the top 5 during CS21. There's been not that many full AP teams to get that far recently so that was something special.

#36 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 09:09 PM

In our first ever competitive tournament, we decided to try a brawl receive, and it worked out despite being approached from an unanticipated angle:

https://clips.twitch...o2Kwb7ggx-9yHJZ

#37 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 August 2023 - 09:57 PM

Growing into the comp scene back in the day was very rewarding, though I did come pretty late and have regretted that. Over the course of 2018 I went from being basically just a random noob with zero "serious" experience to learning how to lead and organize a team, as well as earning the confidence to be comfortable with being looked at to carry; I used to tell people that I didn't want to be on any team where I was the best player and I wanted to be just a cog in the system. From complete noob to playing on LAN stage with players I had previously thought of as if on a pedestal above me - in under a year - was an amazing experience for teenage me.

It's only too bad there are so few players today to learn from as I did. Celyth was both an excellent example of leading for me when I was a noob, and an excellent partner after I had gained the experience. I learned things off many other players as well, Proton, Writhen, and pretty much all of my 2018 teammates. It's too bad most people today don't know the rich competitive history of this game - I was late, but I watched every youtube/twitch comp VOD available back then, even digging through the old MRBC POVs lol

#38 Leathyndra

Rookie

• CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:24 PM

a Crimson Strait drop during ISC, we went for an Island Hold strat and I got to hose down our oppinents in my NSR10P, BenBn played bait in his XL CRD-6T out in front of me and survived with almost no mech remaining

#39 Schonnes

• Pip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:51 PM

There is a lot of great memories! It's hard for me right now to define a special one - from the first comp queue games with F37 (playing the first time comp queue is very special in my opinion) with close wins and hard fought losses - to beating JGx in comp queue 2022 and beating 5JDx last week in invitationals. I do not want to have missed any of these moments.

#40 AriCri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:10 PM

What I'm looking forward to is the adrenaline you feel during the matches of the competition. it's not the same as the pug. it's something that requires more attention and dedication from you, you have to give your best and you have to work as a team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users