Mwo Comp Championship Series 2023

97 replies to this topic

#41 giggitygiggitygoo

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:44 PM

My absolute favorite competitive experience in MWO comp is brawl rushing 228 Blackwatch on Alpine Peaks in 2020's ToC, one of KDCMs first tournaments. The match caster (Ash) kept babbling on and on about how we're going to lose that drop, saying our strat will never work, and calling us the wrong team name for the entire drop, then we kicked 228's teeth in and won the match.

#42 Shineplasma

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 12:14 AM

My favorite comp memory so far was hearing the manic laughter in the -EQ- VOIP when Ghost1e got stuck on the FWC crystals - the same week she had insisted we keep the newly reworked map in the rotation for the rest of Blood League 2023.

lmaoooo

Edited by Shineplasma, 19 August 2023 - 12:24 AM.

#43 Luminios

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 12:48 AM

My favourite comp memory is from the very first comp match that I participated in - NAFF vs. Team Optic in Div G of ISC5 earlier this year.

I had 40 mechs at the time, but I was very involved in making our strategies. For the second drop we were going to play Team 1 side on Frozen City. Everything we had seen so far pointed to our opponents playing fast brawl, we were expecting CRD-6T and CGR-1A1, but there was always the risk of them playing something long range. I wanted us to play dakka, so we wouldn't mind having to receive, while also having a chance if they decide to bring some blue lasers.

We were scrimming the receive internally, I think it was either 3v3 or 4v4 and it just didn't really work out. The Chargers always got into range and vaporized the dakka players' legs. I wanted us to try again, this time using three JM6-DD with 5UAC2 and yeah ... that drop had significantly more DPS and was able to stop the brawl, so we settled on giving dakka a shot.

The actual drop during the match comes, and I am not even playing in it as I didn't have any of the mechs I insisted on us bringing. So I am watching the MWO Comp stream, and there it is: our dakka receive. My teammates form a beautiful firing line and just absolutely demolish the incoming brawl push, with one of them even cooking themselves as the 5UAC2 build is quite toasty.

For me that is pretty difficult to top, as I really love the deck building and strategizing aspect of competetive MWO, and there is something to your teammates perfectly executing something you came up with. I don't think I will ever see such a beautiful dakka receive again.

Thanks for that memory Manboobs, Questia, Cranect, BenbN, Trent and Mytilus Posted Image

(I see Mytilus even provide a clip of it https://clips.twitch...o2Kwb7ggx-9yHJZ)

Edited by Luminios, 19 August 2023 - 12:51 AM.

#44 Tselakus

• PipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 01:12 AM

I like the bits when the mechs are all like pew pew dakka dakka KABOOM

#45 Stimraug

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 01:36 AM

Some of my recent favourite comp experiences in the past year or more have been to witness new stars and players with high potential emerge and distinguish themselves in one way or the other, defeating older veterans and champions and showing off that hunger to win!

#46 -Hollow-

Rookie

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:00 AM

My favorite MWO competitive experience has been developing a high division comp team from the ground - up and successfully maintaining it despite the odds. From what I have gathered, DS-C has been part of a change to the Div B-A scene by bringing in both old and new faces to the division/s, and with our B team (DS-F) being fielded, we plan to train up more people to help maintain circulation and add long staying pilots to the competitive scene.

I've made many friends and acquaintances over this past year across many units and teams that I would not of if I didn't commit to this effort - one that went hand in hand with the support of my officers in the DS-C/F rosters. To those that would consider me a friend, I thank you for accompanying me on this journey; whether it was in a small or big way.

I used to play MWO a lot back in ~2015-2016 with CWX, but was almost exclusively a faction pilot back then. They got into comp (I think it would have been MRBC at the time?) and I aspired to play with them some day after improving as a player. I never ended up getting the chance, though, as the unit would end up leaving the MWO scene at large.

Running DS-C has given me the experience I lost out on back then - which is to play MWO in the most competitive way that is currently possible. I'm glad that my team has developed the way it has and I look forward to what the future brings for us.

#47 rjsc2006

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:08 AM

well im a new player to competitive so i dont really have any favourite moments, however i am super hyped for the championship this year. It will be a completely different to my other experiences and i look forward to growing within the Comp community

#48 AweDeus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2020 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:49 AM

Perhaps my most memorable championship was my very first championship in 2020, when I returned to competitive play after a long study break. Then we got together as a team of old veterans and rogues, and without training and some complicated strategies, we managed to get into the top 12. Of course, we didn’t even last a fight in the final bracket and flew out of the tournament after two defeats in a row. But the spirit of the ease with which we made it to the finals, beating really good teams, was, perhaps, incomparable with anything. It was a requiem for the glorious days of the Varangian Guard, when we still had a unit with active people, when there was no need to explain anything to anyone and you could just stack the first thing that came to mind and roll your face over the keyboard.

The following years were a challenge for me, in some strange way I went from just a dude who came from a long inactive to a drop commander, and then the owner of the team in general. lthough we have not reached the same success. But I have my own server with a small but brave community, and we even manage to recruit more and more new lineups.

I won’t say that when I joined the CS, I was striving for something, for me it was the same natural continuation of any game in the MechWarrior series, because I got acquainted with all these tournaments and leagues long before that in MechWarrior 4, and the first competitive discipline for me was NBT. It has become just a part of life, when at the beginning of the year you gather here and there people to replace the departed or even the dead and move on through tournaments and championships, because without it you can no longer imagine your life. I think that I will keep going until the game dies or until the tournaments are over, and even then - for sure we will meet more than once in something related to BT, in any case, the memory of all the bright events associated with my home community, and in general with the history of this game will forever remain with me.

Edited by AweDeus, 19 August 2023 - 02:50 AM.

#49 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:40 AM

The only thing better than playing comp is playing it with your friends.

When KDCM had to figure out how to fit our resident Mech Dad into our strategies for the 2020 championship, we all collectively decided that Neil Diamond should only run streak Arctic Wolves and Huntsmen. Since we were only playing for our 20 game reward that season, we let Neil loose on any enemy lights regardless of how that might affect our wins or losses.

Neil having a laundry list of kills on top-tier light pilots was only surpassed by his 4.0 KDR, making him one of the deadliest pilots in the game (statistically lol). While we performed better in other seasons, this one was easily our most memorable.

#50 Firewolfslayer

• Pip
  • Compie
  • Compie
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNA

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:12 AM

Started playing comp this year, looking forward to continuing to do so and to keep improving on my skills

Edited by Firewolfslayer, 19 August 2023 - 04:12 AM.

#51 U94

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:23 AM

Been playing comp for only half a year but my favorite experience that likely isn't going to be beaten anytime soon was this one time in a C-XF training for ToS someone jokingly said something along the lines of "What if we bring a Piranha" in the 500 tonner drop and I gladly went into one (also jokingly) since it is my 2nd most played & 2nd favorite mech, the team decided we can go into the game with me in a piranha and I somehow managed to get 3 solo kills and around 600 damage while being a tier 4 player in a lobby full of div A-B pilots, including a rear ct backstab at the very start of the match.

Hoping to score plenty more kills in the dark during CS23, so don't forget to watch your back if you see me in your lobby xP

#52 SirHavan

• PipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:31 AM

The most memorable moment was to be in coms when this happened:
https://www.twitch.t...V-RtwrW27Eq7fzK
It was EPIC

Edited by SirHavan, 19 August 2023 - 04:32 AM.

#53 next comp

• Pip
  • Cadet
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:59 AM

View PostSirHavan, on 19 August 2023 - 04:31 AM, said:

The most memorable moment was to be in coms when this happened:
https://www.twitch.t...V-RtwrW27Eq7fzK
It was EPIC

Easily the most kino play of 2023

#54 Brighty

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:31 AM

My favorite memory in the comp realm is probably the first tournament i participated in, the most recent ISC. The whole thing was a blast and i remember at one point sacrificing myself on the newer Frozen City map to secure a win for the drop.

#55 SirEpicPwner

• PipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 60 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:30 AM

My favorite competitive experience was probably the 2022 CS queue when we were barely outside of top 12, less than 12 hours to go before queue closed, and managed to get matches against one of the teams in top 8 that secured our spot. Some fun last second hail mary drops, and first time I've been on a team to get top 12.

#56 BlueDevilspawn

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:57 AM

I have many favorite comp memories. In CS21 I was encouraged to join SRoT Jaegers and we made Top 12 for the first time in unit history. in CS22 I ran my own team to learn drop calling and we made #22 with 9 complete comp newbies. For me, the learning and development process, along with team camaraderie, has always been the highlight of comp.

#57 Ignominia

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 08:44 AM

As a newcomer to this game and franchise: My best memory is yet to come, it seems. Looking forwards to wee what tied, well put together teams can do.

#58 snek

Rookie

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 10:52 AM

Personally, my favorite memory was my close games in 2022 vs. 5JDx from my time on FJRD. I think our record was 1-2 against them or something like that by the end of comp queue, and every single game was a nailbiter. As for what I'm looking forward to, I think that watching the 2023 competitive queue unfold from the sidelines (as well as cheering for KDCM's B-team) is going to be massively fun.

#59 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 11:18 AM

I am totally looking forward to seeing how well X-Pulse Lasers and Machineguns pair up with each other. That sounds like a very deadly combo.

#60 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 12:45 PM

Chicken nuggets in one hand, lrm button on the other:
(ISC 2 2019)

(37min if vid doesn't take you)

I was hoping to replicate this memory in more recent comp sessions, CS21 finals were close, but with lrms due for a velo nerf, it will become harder and harder to find a silly way to incorporate them.

Edited by Windscape, 19 August 2023 - 12:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users